2018-19 NCAA Basketball Thread

nyjunc

Can we keep this talk to major college basketball please?  You can take uncw in the that with MLS and the WNBA.

The Heels had a great week completing a sweep of NC State and then thrashing Syracuse.  This is the closest they have been to healthy all year (though Armando Bacot left early and may be out tomorrow) and a tease of what could have been.  Hopefully that stay healthy and can go on a run in the ACC tournament.

Rumored finalists for the UNCW job:

• Rob Burke (current Interim HC)
  • Takayo Siddle (former UNCW assistant, current NC State assistant)
  • Seth Greenberg

Siddle interviewed yesterday.  Greenberg was the keynote speaker at UNCW Basketball's 2016 Kickoff Dinner.  

None with UNC/Roy ties.  Thank goodness.  I'm done with the Buzz Peterson's and C.B. McGrath's.

• Upvote 2

Mark turgeon has Maryland as a 1/2 seed and coached under Roy.  Good luck to uncw though.  

For the first time in a while the Heels experienced a full have game Cameron screw job, everything went Duke's way.  It was beyond ridiculous but amazing the game was close until late.  We even saw another Carolina player found a Duke players elbow with their head, it happens almost every year.  5 wins in 5 days will be difficult but in a down ACC it's possible.  Let's just see them win Tuesday and go from there.

Keatts has done a great job at NC State?

I feel bad for the Ivy league players especially the seniors.  At the very least they should play it in an empty building.

1 down, 4 to go for the Heels as the crushed Va Tech.  Up next us Syracuse who they have dominated through the years, hopefully the domination continues and they keep hope alive.  

On 3/10/2020 at 11:31 AM, section314 said:

Just saw Ivy League canceling their tournament. Sending the regular season champ, Yale. Princeton for the ladies.

They are defintiely taking this seriously -- Ivy league announced today that they are cancelling all spring sports.  

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

They are defintiely taking this seriously -- Ivy league announced today that they are cancelling all spring sports.  

I agree. Maybe it's my old Wall St. traders mentality, but when you start seeing moves like this, it makes you think we may be getting closer to stabilizing this thing. At least I hope so.

On 3/2/2020 at 3:20 PM, nyjunc said:

Can we keep this talk to major college basketball please?  You can take uncw in the that with MLS and the WNBA.

The Heels had a great week completing a sweep of NC State and then thrashing Syracuse.  This is the closest they have been to healthy all year (though Armando Bacot left early and may be out tomorrow) and a tease of what could have been.  Hopefully that stay healthy and can go on a run in the ACC tournament.

… and then tonight, Syracuse happened. ?

GO ORANGE!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

I guess it was a fitting end to the year, on to next year when they should be a championship contender again.  Tons of experience coming back along with an exceptional freshman class coming in.

It sucks the tourney will be cancelled even though Carolina wasn't going to make it.  I feel bad for all the guys who will never have another shot and especially for programs like Dayton who was on the verge of a 1 seed, Rutgers who was about to make their first tourney since the early 90s,...

It's been a weird 19-20 sports year with my teams and injuries.  First the Yankees, then the Jets then Carolina.  This will be the first time in my life both the Jets and the heels missed the playoffs/NCAA tourney.  Of course Carolina had only missed in 02, 03 and 10 but the Jets made the playoffs in January 02, 03 and 10.  I guess technically they didn't miss this years tourney so that streak can live on.

Just now, pdxgreen said:

Jeez.  At least you could have brought up the Final Four match up.  That might have actually meant something.  Guess you were a little short for material.  Har Har.  (winks)

Cole wasn't on that team. That was a glimpse of what a relatively healthy Carolina team would have been.  Unfortunately the injuries never stopped but at least it happened in a year with no tournament (though I hate the tourney being cancelled for players like Pritchard who will never get another shot)

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Cole wasn't on that team. That was a glimpse of what a relatively healthy Carolina team would have been.  Unfortunately the injuries never stopped but at least it happened in a year with no tournament (though I hate the tourney being cancelled for players like Pritchard who will never get another shot)

Injuries happen to everybody.  What if Chris Boucher was healthy in 2016?  We never had a full front court late February this year.  Sadly, the constant loss of talent to the pros and overseas means there isn't anybody to fall back on.  Pritchard actually got a lot of crap for being a four year player.  Wow.  Sad.  I think he proved he can be a Steve Blake type at the next level.  But I am sure there are people who still think he's this nonathletic JAG.

20 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Injuries happen to everybody.  What if Chris Boucher was healthy in 2016?  We never had a full front court late February this year.  Sadly, the constant loss of talent to the pros and overseas means there isn't anybody to fall back on.  Pritchard actually got a lot of crap for being a four year player.  Wow.  Sad.  I think he proved he can be a Steve Blake type at the next level.  But I am sure there are people who still think he's this nonathletic JAG.

Injuries happen to everyone, injuries like what Carolina experienced do not happen to everyone.   I have never seen anything like it.  It is the reason they weren't going to make the tournament, this team wasn't winning a national championship if heavy to but they would have been a tourney team.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-grant-extra-eligibility-spring-172216482.html

NCAA to grant extra year of eligibility to spring athletes

College seniors may not have played their final events after all.

GolfChannel.com confirmed reports that the NCAA is planning to grant an extra season of competition to all student-athletes who have participated in spring sports this year.

The decision comes a day after the NCAA canceled the rest of its winter and spring competition seasons, including all of its remaining championships. The NCAA Division I men's and women's golf championships were schedule to be played May 22-June 3 at Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona. Regionals were slated for early May.

NCAA cancels championships because of COVID-19 concerns

The NCAA's Council Coordination Committee is still discussing details, including whether winter-sport athletes will be considered for this exemption.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Injuries happen to everyone, injuries like what Carolina experienced do not happen to everyone.   I have never seen anything like it.  It is the reason they weren't going to make the tournament, this team wasn't winning a national championship if heavy to but they would have been a tourney team.  

That's college basketball now.  Until the pros take responsibility for their own development... every team is going to be a few injuries away from nowhere'sville. There just isn't any depth any more.  You can't afford to lose three or four players at any given time.  Because you can't replace them.  Just the way it is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

That's college basketball now.  Until the pros take responsibility for their own development... every team is going to be a few injuries away from nowhere'sville. There just isn't any depth any more.  You can't afford to lose three or four players at any given time.  Because you can't replace them.  Just the way it is.

Again, Carolina had a ridiculous amount of injuries.  They weren't as deep as usual but even if they were they would have had a hard time making the tournament.  They have overcome big injuries to make runs in recent years whether it was Paige, berry, pinson, etc... missing extended time but this year was crazy.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2020 at 11:42 AM, nyjunc said:

Speaking of cheaters.  Duke University come on down!  

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/05/10/zion-williamson-lawsuit-developments

I don't really think it really matters any more honestly.  It's so transparent now and you know the guys with the burners exist.  Coach K saw that Calipari had upped his talent level with the "One and Done" era.  So he made that kind of cash available and got the same kinds of elite pro level talents.  In fact, I'm glad that the G league is taking 18 year old super prospects out of the college game.  I want to get back to the kids who want to stay for more than one year and force us to recycle scholarships again and again.  Payton had 37 team mates at his time in Oregon.  That is literally insane.  In that time, we sent developed several NBA players and several G leaguers.  But at the end of the day, I'd rather know who's playing next year.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I don't really think it really matters any more honestly.  It's so transparent now and you know the guys with the burners exist.  Coach K saw that Calipari had upped his talent level with the "One and Done" era.  So he made that kind of cash available and got the same kinds of elite pro level talents.  In fact, I'm glad that the G league is taking 18 year old super prospects out of the college game.  I want to get back to the kids who want to stay for more than one year and force us to recycle scholarships again and again.  Payton had 37 team mates at his time in Oregon.  That is literally insane.  In that time, we sent developed several NBA players and several G leaguers.  But at the end of the day, I'd rather know who's playing next year.

I hate one and done, I understand it but I hate it.  That was a benefit of the fake scandal at Carolina, they got more 3-4 year guys.  I love watching players develop over 3-4 years.

Let the one and done guys go straight to the NBA or G league.

52 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I hate one and done, I understand it but I hate it.  That was a benefit of the fake scandal at Carolina, they got more 3-4 year guys.  I love watching players develop over 3-4 years.

Let the one and done guys go straight to the NBA or G league.

Yeah.  It's definitely affecting the college game in a very negative way now.