The state of NY sports..Where do the Jets rank in terms of future?

VinnyT16

I thought that this would be a good thread after the Yankee debacle last night. I’ve been following sports in this town all my life as a Jets, Yankees, Rangers, and Knicks fan, and I can’t recall a more down period. In contrast this is obvioulsy the gilded age for Boston professional sports with the Pats, Red Sox, Bruins, and Celtics all awesome at the same time. 

Here are my rankings (best chance to be good the fastest)

#1 Yankees-Team looks great on paper, but the pieces don’t seem to fit well. The good news for the Yankees is that they can pretty much fix all their problems in one offseason thanks to deep pockets and talent rich farm system. 

#2 Knicks-The Knicks have been the worst NBA team over the past 20 years, but I think their luck will change soon. Kevin Knox looks like the real deal and they will have the cap space to add a big free agent in 2019 to partner with Knox and KP. The eastern conference is also terrible! Kevin Durant anyone? 

#3 Mets-Tremendous rotation with DeGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, and Matz. They also look to have the makings of a good young nucleus with McNeil, Rosario, Conforto, and Alonso. The issue for them is that Atlanta and Philadelphia are only going to get better, and the Wilpons won’t spend enough to close the gap. 

#4 Islanders-They are going to be better than people expect this year as Matt Barzal is one the best players in the league nobody has ever heard of. Also trust Lou Lamorillo and Barry Trotz to build a winner. Still probably at least 2 years away from being true contenders, but could make the playoffs this season. 

#5 Nets-They finally own their draft pick this year, but they don’t suck enough to finish with a top 3 lottery pick. Also don’t see a big free agent going to Brooklyn when the Knicks have cap space.  That said the eastern conference is terrible and I could definitely see them as a top 5-6 seed in the playoffs by 2019. 

#6 Giants-The only reason I put the Giants over the Jets is that they have an outside shot of making the playoffs this year because their  division sucks. The Giants have a record of 4-17 in their last 21 games which is hard to fathom given the talent on their roster. 

#7 Jets-The Jets have talent and Sam Darnold should have a bright future, but until they find a real head coach I have no confidence in this team being competitive in a division with the Patriots. 

#8 Rangers- The Rangers are trash right now. It’s an odd combination of mediocre veterans and very young/raw talent that are forced to play in bigger roles than they are ready for. Throw in the fact that they are paying Henrik 10MM a year to tend goal on an awful team, and you have sh*t show on your hands. 

No Devils?  They were a playoff team last season.    Giants don’t win tomorrow, they are done IMO.  The Mets will likely lose that pitching rotation to contenders at some point.  Kind of worry the Jets will waste Darnold the same way the Mets have wasted that pitching rotation.  Yankees are going to have to deal with Boston for the next few years, they could be stuck in 2nd place purgatory and never get that 28th ring under this regime.  I’d put the Jets in the middle somewhere at this point.  Agree on the Islanders, young, hungry and they have the right HC and GM in place.

Not sure how you can put the Giants over the Jets. They are a bad team with no future at QB. That can change next draft, but as it stands, they have to be at least bottom two. I can't comment on the hockey teams, I don't follow the sport. But I think I would put the other teams in this order

Yankees > Knicks > Jets > Mets > Nets > Giants

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

No Devils?  They were a playoff team last season.    Giants don’t win tomorrow, they are done IMO.  The Mets will likely lose that pitching rotation to contenders at some point.  Kind of worry the Jets will waste Darnold the same way the Mets have wasted that pitching rotation.  Yankees are going to have to deal with Boston for the next few years, they could be stuck in 2nd place purgatory and never get that 28th ring under this regime.  I’d put the Jets in the middle somewhere at this point.  Agree on the Islanders, young, hungry and they have the right HC and GM in place.

Devils aren’t a NY team in my mind. 

The advantage the Yankees have over Boston is $. Sale and Boegarts are free agents in 2020 and Betts in 2021. They aren’t going to be able to improve their team the same way the Yankees will. 

51 minutes ago, VinnyT16 said:

Devils aren’t a NY team in my mind. 

The advantage the Yankees have over Boston is $. Sale and Boegarts are free agents in 2020 and Betts in 2021. They aren’t going to be able to improve their team the same way the Yankees will. 

Devils aren’t a team but the Jets and Giants who play in NJ also are both NY teams? Haha

If the Rangers continue to rebuild the right way, if they sign vets short term to fill gaps and move them at the deadline for picks. They are going to build a contender allot quicker than you think. They have allot of young talent in their organization, including Lundqvist's replacement in Russia.

Their biggest mistakes were rewarding big contracts to players like Staal and Girardi for past performances, instead of parting ways and retooling. 

This is why they ended up having to tear it down completely. Now they need to stick to building a new young core, and they need to continue to let aging vets go in favor of the youth and future.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fusionCA said:

lol

the Knicks suck 

One player can make a big difference in basketball. Porzingus is going to be a nightmare to guard. They also have good starters in Kanter and Hardaway. If Knox develops, they’ll be a really good team. They have. Few players at PG that can develop as well

One player can make a big difference in basketball. Porzingus is going to be a nightmare to guard. They also have good starters in Kanter and Hardaway. If Knox develops, they’ll be a really good team. They have. Few players at PG that can develop as well
With Porzingus missing part of this season they'll have a poor enough record (not a stretch for the Knicks anyways lol) to be drafting high next year too.......it'll also give Knox and especially Robinson plenty of playing time to get their feet wet.....by this time next year hopefully they'll add a FA or two to go with a top pick and young nucleus to be a team with real potential

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Perry murdered this year’s draft and Ntilikina is going to be the best perimeter defender in the nba soon

You can't put the Giants over the Jets based on the current makeup of the teams. The Jets are younger and if you believe Darnold will be the answer for the Jets, it actually puts them much closer to winning a Super Bowl than the Giants. Not saying they will, likely they probably won't cause that's just how things seem to always go for us, but they are closer to a championship at this point.

The Giants stink. They are a bad football team that's in denial about their QB situation. That's why they hired an old school GM who told them what they wanted to hear. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

You can't put the Giants over the Jets based on the current makeup of the teams. The Jets are younger and if you believe Darnold will be the answer for the Jets, it actually puts them much closer to winning a Super Bowl than the Giants. Not saying they will, likely they probably won't cause that's just how things seem to always go for us, but they are closer to a championship at this point.

The Giants stink. They are a bad football team that's in denial about their QB situation. That's why they hired an old school GM who told them what they wanted to hear. 

We have a brighter future than the giants and that’s not just me saying that as Jet homer and giants hater

Eli is 38.  Sam is 21.  Facts are facts

• Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

right now, for ny sports teams, success, near and future,  wise it's the yankees, devils, jets, rangers, knicks/nets, mets, giants.  they will be hard pressed to make much playoff noise in the near future.

Rangers ahead of Knicks/Mets?  They just started rebuilding and rumor is they may be forced to trade Lundqvist

3 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Patriots do not look like they are in their prime this year the division is up for grabs

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

It is.  Patriots will still win 11 games by default but this is not as good a team as they even had last year.  The defense sucks and no Brandin Cooks to spread the field for Brady

Dolphins were a trendy to like but have been exposed last 2 weeks they aren’t making the playoffs 

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, VinnyT16 said:

I thought that this would be a good thread after the Yankee debacle last night. I’ve been following sports in this town all my life as a Jets, Yankees, Rangers, and Knicks fan, and I can’t recall a more down period. In contrast this is obvioulsy the gilded age for Boston professional sports with the Pats, Red Sox, Bruins, and Celtics all awesome at the same time. 

#1 Yankees-Team looks great on paper, but the pieces don’t seem to fit well. The good news for the Yankees is that they can pretty much fix all their problems in one offseason thanks to deep pockets and talent rich farm system. 

#2 Knicks-The Knicks have been the worst NBA team over the past 20 years, but I think their luck will change soon. Kevin Knox looks like the real deal and they will have the cap space to add a big free agent in 2019 to partner with Knox and KP. The eastern conference is also terrible! Kevin Durant anyone? 

#3 Mets-Tremendous rotation with DeGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, and Matz. They also look to have the makings of a good young nucleus with McNeil, Rosario, Conforto, and Alonso. The issue for them is that Atlanta and Philadelphia are only going to get better, and the Wilpons won’t spend enough to close the gap. 

#4 Islanders-They are going to be better than people expect this year as Matt Barzal is one the best players in the league nobody has ever heard of. Also trust Lou Lamorillo and Barry Trotz to build a winner. Still probably at least 2 years away from being true contenders, but could make the playoffs this season. 

#5 Nets-They finally own their draft pick this year, but they don’t suck enough to finish with a top 3 lottery pick. Also don’t see a big free agent going to Brooklyn when the Knicks have cap space.  That said the eastern conference is terrible and I could definitely see them as a top 5-6 seed in the playoffs by 2019. 

#6 Giants-The only reason I put the Giants over the Jets is that they have an outside shot of making the playoffs this year because their  division sucks. The Giants have a record of 4-17 in their last 21 games which is hard to fathom given the talent on their roster. 

#7 Jets-The Jets have talent and Sam Darnold should have a bright future, but until they find a real head coach I have no confidence in this team being competitive in a division with the Patriots. 

#8 Rangers- The Rangers are trash right now. It’s an odd combination of mediocre veterans and very young/raw talent that are forced to play in bigger roles than they are ready for. Throw in the fact that they are paying Henrik 10MM a year to tend goal on an awful team, and you have sh*t show on your hands. 

The Knicks at #2 is not good. No matter what they do they always find a way to screw it up. Doesn't matter who they draft or who they sign as a FA it always ends up in disaster. I can't see how after 17 18 years of lousy basketball that the Knicks would be anywhere but 8. Complete garbage.

Mets should probably be lower. Until they start spending some money and start developing some hitters 3 is way too high.

I'd take the Jets over the Giants. The Giants are heading for an epic fall. Their QB is old, their WR is a lunatic. The only thing good on the Giants right now is Barkley. The Jets at least have the makings of a young fast defense and a young stud QB. The coach is an issue but they are still in a better place than then Giants right now.

10 hours ago, VinnyT16 said:

#7 - I truly believe the pats are on their way out but if not we could always start flying banners above NFL headquarters and demand they move us from the division! :rl:

Yankees are obviously number one. They're really good now and they're young.

Everyone else is in various stages of rebuilding. Personally I like the way the Knicks are situated to grab a big star next year. If Durant were to sign here (big if, obviously) the Knicks would be HUGE and would completely take over NYC... But I like their young pieces regardless.

I would definitely rank the Jets ahead of the Giants, though. Having a young QB is a big difference maker when it comes to a rebuild. If I were a Giants fan I'd be very frustrated. That's a 1-4 team that is built to win now.

Yanks are the tops.  

Jets have a bright future with cap room and a young FQB.  

Isles’ future looks bright with good young players and Lamoriello (though not sure how many years he has left).

Mets have talent (including 4 of the top 100 ranked minor leaguers) but they need some big bats and a bullpen. They could lose Jake deGrom too. Hard to say which direction they’re going.

I think the Rangers future could be bright.  They have a lot of talent in the minors now and will probably add to it at the trade deadline and offseason. 

Giants are a win now team that isn’t winning. Very tough to predict how things go for them.  OBJ and Saquon are definitely top-end talent. 

Knicks have question marks.  Will KP recover?  Can they attract a big FA?  They’re going to stink this year (possibly worst in NBA?).  They need to win the lottery and draft someone good. Then they’ll be able to sign a big FA.  Durant or Kyrie would be nice but I think they get neither. 

Nets I have not much idea about.  If they draft someone good (they have #1 pick again) their fortunes can change. 

23 hours ago, GreenFish said:

One player can make a big difference in basketball. Porzingus is going to be a nightmare to guard.

I hate to say it, but Porzingis is never going to be the same player again.  This isn't the NFL where guys recover from torn ACL's left and right.  Having a guy that tall suffer an injury like that is really bad for his future.  Especially since he was having issues avoiding lesser injuries already. 

I know the doctors say he'll come back better than ever, but I just don't think that will be the case.  He's a "Unicorn" for a reason:  With transcendent play and a unique skillset comes heavy risk simply because of his body type.  It's a double-edged sword. 

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I hate to say it, but Porzingis is never going to be the same player again.  This isn't the NFL where guys recover from torn ACL's left and right.  Having a guy that tall suffer an injury like that is really bad for his future.  Especially since he was having issues avoiding lesser injuries already. 

I know the doctors say he'll come back better than ever, but I just don't think that will be the case.  He's a "Unicorn" for a reason:  With transcendent play and a unique skillset comes heavy risk simply because of his body type.  It's a double-edged sword. 

Why the Knicks should trade Porzingis for Butler and draft picks

The real unicorns are Knox, Robinson and Ntilikina 

Put Butler with that young core they make the playoffs this year

The Yankees are set up to win championships, they are clearly #1.  After that it's muddy, no teams close to competing for titles but I think we'd be #2 on this list.  We have the young QB, we have a lot of young talent, we will have second most cap room in the league.  We will be entering a great era of Jets football especially when Brady retires in the coming years.

Lundvist has not given up more than 2 goals in a game yet this season. Rangers got beat on a power play goal today on one of the worst penalty calls I've ever seen. They are in every game and playing better already. Probably won't make the playoffs this year, but they should pick up a bunch of picks at the deadline again. They play hard and are very competitive in the midst of rebuilding. Won't be long before they are back in the mix.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:21 PM, VinnyT16 said:

No idea how you get these rankings. I'll fix them for you.

1. Yankees - loaded for now, loaded for the future. Love em or hate em, there's not much else to say.
  2. Devils - have a young core, including a Hart trophy winner and #1 pick, and got back to the playoffs last year. People forget that aside from the Yankees, this is has been the most consistent area team in terms of making the playoffs over the past 2-3 decades.
  3. Rangers - this team is absolute dogspit right now (and I love to see it). But, they've finally positioned themselves for a full blown rebuild that will next year net (probably) them a top 3 lottery and 2 really big free agents, including maybe Erik Karlsson. The Rangers might be the #1 "destination" team in this area, meaning a team that players around the league want to come to -- even over the Yankees.
  4. Jets - The Jets are kind of in purgatory. It's easy to say the arrow is trending straight up because of Sam Darnold, and I wouldn't argue too hard with you. But the rest of the roster is kind of bare bones, and the guys driving the ship are kind of idiots. Next offseason will determine whether the Jets go to #2 or #7 on this list.
  5. Nets - The Nets are in great GM / HC hands with Sean Marks and Kenny Atkinson, which is maybe the most important thing you can say about an NBA team that isn't the Warriors these days. In a year or two people will be talking about Atkinson the same way they talk about Brad Stevens. The guy is a savant. What's more is that Marks has quietly and competently built a pretty solid young core that includes some long rangy wings (Levert and RHJ), a very young center with a ton of potential (Allen), and a former top 3 pick with superstar potential (DLo). What's MORE is that the Nets will finally be out of the shadow of the dreadful Billy King / Celtics deal next year--- they will have a lotto pick, additional first rounder, and cap room for 2 max deals. Knicks fans will loudly protest that "no one cares about the Nets" - and maybe they're right - but from a basketball perspective, I think the Nets are clearly set up better.
  6. Giants - The Giants are kind of a weird one to peg. They have a better pedigree than most teams on this list, and it wouldn't surprise anyone to see them get the ship righted in a few years. But they've also been absolutely abysmal for most of the past 5 years, and don't have the fix at the game's most important position that the Jets have. What they do have is two of the most transcendent talents in the game, and an owner that knows what he's doing. Like the Jets, they could go up or down next offseason.
  7. Knicks - The Unicorn's ACL has detonated, Joakim Noah counts $18+ million against the cap, and Tim Hardaway is owed $50 million more. I do like Knox and Mitchell Robinson. Talk to me when they sign Durant and draft Zion.
  8. Mets - Can the MLB force a sale of a team? If they can, they should, for the sake of the tri-state area and the fans of this God forsaken team. If the Yankees were literally any other team, the Mets would have unloaded Degrom for a huge haul of team-controlled, MLB ready players at important positions. Instead, the Mets will hoard their pitching riches to no end whatsoever. They area easily the lowest ranked team that should be way higher, if they weren't a moneyball team in the country's largest market.
  9. Islanders - John Tavares is a dirty, filthy traitor and I don't blame any Isles fan who will forever harbor the levels of disdain that I still do for Ilya Kovalchuk. Matt Barzal is the goods, and the Isles are another team with a good GM / HC combo, but they currently suffer from a dearth of talent in net and on the blue line. OP saying they could make the playoffs this year almost made me spit out my coffee. Oh, and the scoreboard is still on the blue line.

• Upvote 1