RB watch 2019

Paradis

We've got a thread for a few positions... think we should talk a bit about a couple players here...  I don't like idea of yet another year of Powell and Crowell... think we should move on from Powell and find that electric back to take over in 2020....  But if history says anything, it's that Mac the sack will disagree.

Anyway, since the great fall of Rodney, i've had to reorganize my favorite list. Right now it looks like this--

YES: Benny Snell and Dexter Williams. If you wanted a facelift the likes of Burt Reynolds (rip), this would be a dream combo

NO; Bryce Love and Myles Gaskin

Undecided; Jordan Scarlett & Mike Weber

sleeper;  This Wes Hills guy from Delaware who's name has popped a few times. good luck finding tape. From what i unearthed, there's some Adrian Peterson-lite to his game. Me likey. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Any chance Rodney comes out? I wouldn't mind taking a day 2 pick on him. 

I would if i was him.

I don't see him going any earlier than 4-5th round though with his knees being what they are... I wouldn't risk another year playing college. If came back next year and hurt his knee again, he'll never see a snap in pro football. I'd take the round 4 salary for a couple years over gambling on getting nothing... cause even if he does have a healthy 2019 in college, teams are still going to have medical red flags.

He can't improve his stock much at this point. 

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

We've got a thread for a few positions... think we should talk a bit about a couple players here...  I don't like idea of yet another year of Powell and Crowell... think we should move on from Powell and find that electric back to take over in 2020....  But if history says anything, it's that Mac the sack will disagree.

Anyway, since the great fall of Rodney, i've had to reorganize my favorite list. Right now it looks like this--

YES: Benny Snell and Dexter Williams. If you wanted a facelift the likes of Burt Reynolds (rip), this would be a dream combo

sleeper;  This Wes Hills guy from Delaware who's name has popped a few times. good luck finding tape. From what i unearthed, there's some Adrian Peterson-lite to his game. Me likey. 

A good friend of my son plays for Delaware, Hills was academically ineligle in 2017 and now plays at Slippery Rock.  Talented back but like so many of these kids hated being a student.  I think he turns 24 next month though.  

17 hours ago, Paradis said:

I'm not a no on Bryce.  Just not sure where I like him yet.

Hard to judge those Florida RB's, they all have talent but it's hard to showcase it because it's such a RB by committee effort.  Interestingly enough, I player I loved who transfered is having a great year for S. FL, Jordan Cronkite. 

I like Jemar Jefferson a lot and I loved Rodney Anderson pre-injury.  He might be the most dynamic of the bunch. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I'm not a no on Bryce.  Just not sure where I like him yet.

Hard to judge those Florida RB's, they all have talent but it's hard to showcase it because it's such a RB by committee effort.  Interestingly enough, I player I loved who transfered is having a great year for S. FL, Jordan Cronkite. 

I like Jemar Jefferson a lot and I loved Rodney Anderson pre-injury.  He might be the most dynamic of the bunch. 

yea, i should define what i meant by "NO"... which was more about value/price... If Love was there in the 3rd-4th round, yea of course - you have to take a hard look at him... but he's going to get billed as this offensive dynamo and go way to early. Hence, no thank you.... People (scouts included) talk themselves into believing stuff, contract a case of FOMO -- like Tavon Austin? I can't believe people thought he was more than a role player - better yet, i can't believe people thought he was worth a 1st round pick!!  ...i;m sure many looked back on it now, and say "Jesus... what was I thinking??"

Anyway Florida's due for an NFL workhorse. Fred Taylor? Has there been one since? I think Scarlett projects well in the NFL

Rodney was my clear #1 pre-injury. Much sadness. 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

A good friend of my son plays for Delaware, Hills was academically ineligle in 2017 and now plays at Slippery Rock.  Talented back but like so many of these kids hated being a student.  I think he turns 24 next month though.  

I saw that, was like Slippery Rock - wtf? Is that just a rec center team? lol... I mean, what do you have to do to get punted off Delaware ffs. You'd think they'd be happily "tutoring" him.,.. 

23 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Anybody watch Devin Singletary from FAU?  He was being talked about as a legit NFL prospect after last season, is he still a thing now?  Kiffen was talking him up pretty well.  

Good point. there was buzz last year and a decent amount of pre-season hype -- but totally mum since. Haven't heard anything. I see he's still ranked near top 5 of most rankings.  

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

perhaps you'd like to take a ride in the slam sedan?

Outside of maybe Lith, I'm pretty sure i was the only one consistency mocking Crowell to the Jets that year as a late round pick. I flip flopped on him or Terrance West as an opportunity for cheap talent... then CLE took both. 

30 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I saw that, was like Slippery Rock - wtf? Is that just a rec center team? lol... I mean, what do you have to do to get punted off Delaware ffs. You'd think they'd be happily "tutoring" him.,.. 

Good point. there was buzz last year and a decent amount of pre-season hype -- but totally mum since. Haven't heard anything. I see he's still ranked near top 5 of most rankings.  

Delaware kept Hills on life support as long as they could, the kid just refused to go to class anymore.  He’s playing D2 ball at the age of 23.  

Delaware kept Hills on life support as long as they could, the kid just refused to go to class anymore.  He’s playing D2 ball at the age of 23.  

Lol they don’t care if you show up to class in D2?

Well hopefully he was a better teammate than he was a student.

He might not have a long career in the pros but maybe he has a shot to have a strong season or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lol they don’t care if you show up to class in D2?

Well hopefully he was a better teammate than he was a student.

He might not have a long career in the pros but maybe he has a shot to have a strong season or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s only going to be there for one semester.  By the time he flames out academically, he’ll be done with football and looking towards his draft prep.  

• 1 month later...

Some buzz for Singletary starting.  There was some tape posted in the article but I couldn’t figure out how to copy it over here, sorry.  If you click the link you can watch them  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-florida-atlantics-devin-singletary-is-the-premier-sleeper-running-back-prospect/

2019 NFL Draft: Florida Atlantic's Devin Singletary is the premier sleeper running back prospect

Devin Singletary is the sleeper running back prospect you absolutely need to know. 

The Florida Atlantic ball-carrier has far and away been the most productive player at his position over the past three seasons -- he's nearly 600 yards ahead of the second-leading rusher since the start of 2016 -- and he has serious NFL talent. 

wrote a feature on Iowa State's David Montgomery a few weeks ago, and while not household name by Saquon Barkley standards, we've all seen him play -- and thrive -- in his fair share of high-profile games in the Big 12. 

Singletary gets one, maybe two contests against Power 5 opponents per season, so it's not on you if you've never heard of or seen him play. But he's a blast to watch. 

Here's what I'd call a solid first impression, from this season's game against Oklahoma

Even before the power, balance, and elusiveness he put on display at the end of that crazy run, notice how Singletary made two jump cuts essentially in succession through the line of scrimmage and as he was approaching the second level. Not something you see often when watching running back prospects. 

And to erase any possibility of that being a fluke. This is what Singletary did on his very next run, which came two plays later in that contest against the Sooners. 

Singletary is one of the rare players to make a huge impact as a true freshman at the collegiate level. In 2016, he played his first collegiate game on his 19th birthday. That season, he toted the rock 152 times and accumulated 1,021 yards (6.7 yard-per-carry average) and put a cap on his breakout debut campaign with a 235-yard, three-score effort on 29 carries against Middle Tennessee State in the season finale, which was his second 200-plus yard game in the final month of 2016. 

MORE NFL

As the unquestioned feature back a season ago, Singletary logged a whopping 301 carries -- which tied Colorado's Phillip Lindsay for the most in the nation -- and amassed 1,918 yards on the ground with 32 rushing touchdowns, tops in Division 1. He had 12 consecutive contests with 100-plus rushing yards.  

Singletary's yards-per-carry average has dipped from 6.4 in 2017 to 5.4 this season, but he's already over 1,100 yards and has 20 rushing touchdowns with two games left in the regular season. The Owls need another win to become bowl eligible. 

Since the start of last year, in two games against top competition -- Wisconsinin 2017 and Oklahoma in 2018 -- Singletary parlayed 35 carries into 137 yards (3.9 yards per) with two rushing touchdowns. 

And this isn't a 23-year-old sixth-year redshirt senior who's gashing players two and three years younger than him. Singletary will be 21 when he's drafted and turn 22 just before the start of the 2019 NFL season, which will make him somewhat young for a rookie at the professional level. Producing at a high level in college at a young age is a relatively good indicator of success at the pro ranks. 

During a 19-carry, 171-yard outburst against Louisiana Tech just a few weeks ago, Singletary put this run on film. Like the above scamper against Oklahoma, it's easy to be in awe of what he did at the end of the run, but don't overlook the first cut that got him free. 

The innate ability to make defenders miss is the most important aspect of playing the running back position. It's what I look for first when evaluating the position. Elusive backs flourish at all levels.

And Singletary is probably the most elusive back in college football. He had forced 74 missed tackles before racking up 148 yards with two touchdowns on 22 carries against Western Kentucky over the weekend.

What's more ... Singletary was one of the nation's most elusive running backs in the country a season ago too. According to Pro Football Focus, "he ranked third in the nation with 83 missed tackles forced."

While I wouldn't label him as someone who'll run in the high 4.3s or low 4.4 range at the combine, his acceleration through the second level is very impressive and allows him to generate a lot of chunk plays, even if they might not go for 60-yard touchdowns. 

Listed at 5-foot-9 and 200 pounds, Singletary has a very compact frame and won't be seen as undersized by most teams. Eclipsing the 190-pound threshold is important for NFL backs. 

There are a few exceptions to the rule -- like Darren Sproles and Tarik Cohen-- but you'll be hard pressed to find successful NFL running backs who weighed under 190 pounds when they entered the league. 

I haven't settled on an NFL comparison for Singletary, but the strengths of his game remind me of Packers running back Aaron Jones, a super-productive but overlooked ball-carrier from a Group of 5 college who's been one of the most efficient runners in the NFL this season. 

Jones was picked in the fifth round of the 2017 Draft, and with a little more juice and balance, I see the Florida Atlantic star being selected somewhere on Day Two or the early stages of Day Three. But like Jones, don't be surprised when Singletary ultimately outplays his draft position in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

On 10/11/2018 at 4:31 PM, Paradis said:

Never too early to think of the draft if you're a Jets fan.

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I would love it if Darrell Henderson from Memphis came out.  Not sure he has much to prove after 1900 yds and 22 TDs this year.

I love memphis skill position prospects. dunno why - just love'em from a value standpoint. We wont' talk about Lynch, but obviously Miller was a big deal, and Bobby McCain was a nice value pick too. 

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I love memphis skill position prospects. dunno why - just love'em from a value standpoint. We wont' talk about Lynch, but obviously Miller was a big deal, and Bobby McCain was a nice value pick too. 

I think Genard Avery is going to turn out to be a nice solid player for a long time too.

• Upvote 1

On 12/6/2018 at 11:12 AM, IndianaJet said:

I would love it if Darrell Henderson from Memphis came out.  Not sure he has much to prove after 1900 yds and 22 TDs this year.

I have not watched much ball this year but the game I watched with memphis vs the florida team, this guy looked damn good.

Iowa State junior RB David Montgomery forced 14 missed tackles in Saturday's 27-24 win over Drake.
Montgomery is only six missed tackles away from Devin Singletary, the leader this season. Montgomery is looking to lead the FBS in missed tackles again after finishing with the most last season. He also recorded 118 of his 145 total rushing yards after contact. Montgomery has proven over that past two seasons that he refuses to go down on first contact. He will likely play in one last game for the Cyclones before declaring for the NFL Draft. He has a legitimate chance to be the first running back off the board.

d mont.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2018 at 3:08 PM, cant wait said:

this kid looks fantastic but hopefully he can get his weight up for the NFL

I just started watching him and I am more than intrigued. Great burst, balance, and vision.

One question for you.....Why would you worry about him keeping his weight up? He looks like a naturally thick athlete to me.

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2018 at 9:24 AM, 19andOhWait said:
Iowa State junior RB David Montgomery forced 14 missed tackles in Saturday's 27-24 win over Drake.
Montgomery is only six missed tackles away from Devin Singletary, the leader this season. Montgomery is looking to lead the FBS in missed tackles again after finishing with the most last season. He also recorded 118 of his 145 total rushing yards after contact. Montgomery has proven over that past two seasons that he refuses to go down on first contact. He will likely play in one last game for the Cyclones before declaring for the NFL Draft. He has a legitimate chance to be the first running back off the board.

d mont.jpg

I don't know anything about his game but his YPC seemed unimpressive by college standards. I guess it's time to actually watch the player and make my decisions off of that. That is a bunch of yards after contact so there has to be something there.

30 minutes ago, RobR said:

I just started watching him and I am more than intrigued. Great burst, balance, and vision.

One question for you.....Why would you worry about him keeping his weight up? He looks like a naturally thick athlete to me.

He’s 220 and runs a 4.4

Definitely fine at his current weight. Watching his game against Navy now. I’m seeing electric straight line speed and at first I’m wondering why he wasn’t hitting the holes as hard as I expected him to, then I seen what everyone is talking about. He burns Navy on a what had to be about a 70+ yard touchdown. Beautiful vision as a runner. Noticing he’s a pretty dangerous receiver in the flat. It’s also hard to bring down on first contact.  I know it’s Navy but I’m going to look at some more film against better competition. Just my first glance look at Henderson. He looks good.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RobR said:

I thought I saw him listed at 175 but looking again that was last year... he’s currently listed at 200– I was surprised because I thought he played like a bigger back and showed some power. if he weighs in the 210-215 range I think he could be a 3-down back and would definitely like him in the 3rd round

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’s 220 and runs a 4.4

Definitely fine at his current weight. Watching his game against Navy now. I’m seeing electric straight line speed and at first I’m wondering why he wasn’t hitting the holes as hard as I expected him to, then I seen what everyone is talking about. He burns Navy on a what had to be about a 70+ yard touchdown. Beautiful vision as a runner. Noticing he’s a pretty dangerous receiver in the flat. It’s also hard to bring down on first contact.  I know it’s Navy but I’m going to look at some more film against better competition. Just my first glance look at Henderson. He looks good.

I just started watching more tape of Henderson and I can't picture myself putting any back ahead of him. He checks every box with his build, vision, hands, shiftiness, and most of all his burst. I see a first round RB. 

If Snell is there at the top of Round 3, then hell yes, regardless of whether the Jets sign Bell or not.

But not having that 2nd rounder I think is going to dick us over a bit (though I regret nothing in regards to the Darnold trade).

I have a feeling that the very top of Round 2 is going to be the sweetspot for a guy like Little. When it’s all said and done, and even though I’ve done a bit more delving and determined that he’s not in the same class as J Williams, he’s still a very good OG at the next level IMO with the ceiling to be a rock solid LT 2 years from now. I’d love more than ever to move down and acquire more picks.

I’ve resigned myself to taking a passrusher/interior DL if we stay within the Top 5. It’s inevitable.

Sign Bell and direct every other resource towards the OL, EDGE and WR corps.

On 12/6/2018 at 5:07 AM, sec101row23 said:

Some buzz for Singletary starting.  There was some tape posted in the article but I couldn’t figure out how to copy it over here, sorry.  If you click the link you can watch them  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-florida-atlantics-devin-singletary-is-the-premier-sleeper-running-back-prospect/

Finally doing some deep dives this weekend.... Singletary is impressive. I feel dumb for shrugging him off, this last year. He's impossible to take down.

• 2 weeks later...
Wes Hills - RB - Players

Slippery Rock senior RB Wes Hills accepted an invitation to the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.

Hills (6'2/215) transferred to Slippery Rock from Delaware, and made an immediate contribution. He ran for 17 touchdowns, and finished with 1,907 all-purpose yards with 1,714 of those coming on the ground. The concern obviously comes from his level of competition, but this will be a good chance to show what Hills can do against potential NFL talent.

On 12/6/2018 at 1:12 PM, IndianaJet said:

Only issue I see is his unwillingness to switch the ball to his outside hand holding onto it with his left only.