The Giants are 1 and 5

Maxman

The real funny thing is that the Giants did this year (and have done in the past years) what many fans wanted the Jets to do:

1. Go out and sign an LT - pay what it takes

2. Draft playmakers

3. Get talent as WR

They look terrible. And now, they are stuck with Odell (maybe next year with a rookie QB - that will suck for the QB), and a mediocre and aging LT. No way they shake these contracts for a while. They have Barkley, but how many great years will he have? He has no line to run behind and teams will stack the box against him. Assuming he plays great for the next 4 years, they will have to deal with a huge contract (4 more years for a 5 years RB) and/or contract issues like the Steelers have.

Plus, at some point they are going to have to do a rebuild and change their FO again. The previous regime also reached for a OL as the #9 pick. It is hard to build a franchise. Just saying, it is easy to complain about the lack of FA and 1st round OL acquisitions, but the market is bare and bad teams overpay (or over draft) and there isn't anything you can do about it.

Point is that although the Jets still have a large way to go to being a competative team, at least they are off in the right direction.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Maxman said:

They are 1 and 5, Barkley looks like a monster and here are Eli's stats:

image.png

Here is how his #'s project over a full season:

image.png

Nice yardage total. 16 TDs and 11 INTs though? Not a guy you want to build around at 37. A lot of his yards are in garbage time which is why his yards are so much higher than the TDs thrown.

They are going to regret passing on Sam Darnold in a big way.

Wow, Eli is unleashing his inner Pennington, huh?

Barkley is great, but short of having the rest of your team fully stacked, RB comes after only kicker and punter as the position least worthy of a pick that high, at least in today's NFL.

3 hours ago, Lith said:

I have a hard time laughing at other teams when my team is 2-3, and coming off consecutive 5 win seasons.  At this point, I like our future better than theirs, but lets string together a few wins and then I will join in the laughter.

IDC if we were 0-16 I will always laugh at the Giants or Pats misery 

The Giants will finish with a top 3 pick and be able to grab a good QB prospect next year.  That's not the issue.  The issue is that both the GM and coach were so wrong about the talent level of the current team.  THAT should make ownership take notice, IMO.  The Jets made the same mistake after year 1 of Fitzpatrick, but at least they were coming off of a 10-6 season.  The Giants situation is a head scratcher.    

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

So of course Trey Adams has season-ending back surgery and will probably return to school next year, taking the top LT off the draft board. 

If I recall correctly, that leaves Jonah Williams and Greg Little as the only other top prospects and I'm not at all the expert here but neither of them sound like sure things.  Then again, if we are drafting more towards the middle of the round and enough DL go early, one of them might drop and be a good value for us.    

The answer is simple.  Tank for a top pick.  Trade down to a QB-needy team.  Snag a LT wherever we end up. 

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m sorry but I can’t not laugh at watching the Giants and their fans suffer. Even if we aren’t doing well, that makes my day. 

I don't live in the NY area anymore, which may be why I feel differently about it then you.  I am dealing with Bears and Packers fans every day -- not Giant fans so it doesn't matter as much to me.

5 hours ago, Lizard King said:

It’s easy to say that about Eli in retrospect but Barkeley is insane 

Agreed. Barkley looked like Barry Sanders hurtling over tacklers last night.. He is doing all this on his own. He had 99 yards receiving and 130 rushing plus a long TD.

Next season he will be the best back in the league. Considering his talent, how can you be unhappy.  they can get a QB next season.

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Qbs, not rbs win championships. Barkley is a nice tool to have, but this qb class was special. Maybe they will be that bad again and be lucky with 2nd pick again. I doubt if they will find s Baker, Rosen, or darnold this yr though. 

2019 is supposed to be a good draft for pass rushers

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Agreed. Barkley looked like Barry Sanders hurtling over tacklers last night.. He is doing all this on his own. He had 99 yards receiving and 130 rushing plus a long TD.

Next season he will be the best back in the league. Considering his talent, how can you be unhappy.  they can get a QB next season.

You would think. Get a QB next year have at least 2-3 cheap Barkley years left to get a QB drafted next year to get rolling. 

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't live in the NY area anymore, which may be why I feel differently about it then you.  I am dealing with Bears and Packers fans every day -- not Giant fans so it doesn't matter as much to me.

I don’t live in NY. I’m in PA where I deal with Steelers fans. I don’t mind eagles fans. I just have a pure hatred for both the Steelers and Giants. More so the giants. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Who builds around a RB these days?

Barkley could be the next Jim Brown but it’s still going to look like a total boneheaded move if Darnold is a Top 10 QB for the next 10+ years.

There’s also no guarantee that they’ll be in position to get a guy like Herbert next year, who I wouldn’t put on the same level as Darnold coming out anyway.

4 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Any players that we should target on the Giants? That lockeroom is a mess and normally I wouldn’t want quitters but they should literally blow everything up and have a fire sale.

They hate us though but was just thinking that maybe something can shake free somehow. Probably not  though since they are TERRIBLE and worse than last year somehow. 

I would take Shepard

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Right now the buzz is all about Justin Hebert from Oregon.  But it's a much thinner class at the top.  Maybe Drew Lock end up a top-10 pick as well.  It's early but I don't think it goes much deeper than that.  A lot of 2nd tier guys like Stidham so one of them may ascend.  

The interesting thing this year is that all of the bad teams are pretty much set at QB.  1-win teams include Falcons, Raiders, Colts, Cardinals, 49ers and Giants.  Of those teams, only the Giants would reasonably draft a QB.  So even if they don't finish worst in the league, they will probably be close enough to trade up to the top-3 slots to get a QB (assuming Bosa and Oliver can go 1-2 if those teams are in need of DL).  

The only other teams I think are a threat to the Giants in their pursuit of getting the top QB would be DEN and TB.  Both could lose 10 games this season and both should be very aggressive in pursuit of a QB.  Weird but it suddenly doesn't feel like half the league is searching for a better QB.  First time in a very long time.

So they will probably end up getting a QB this year.  I think it's becoming clear the Eli era is over.

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

image.png

image.png

Nice yardage total. 16 TDs and 11 INTs though? Not a guy you want to build around at 37. A lot of his yards are in garbage time which is why his yards are so much higher than the TDs thrown.

a couple of seasons ago and the jets would be calling these stats great.  in all fairness they're not that bad.  i doubt if drafting darnold or rosen or whoever would change this.  the giaints are just not playing very well right now.  and odell is a moron.

16 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Who builds around a RB these days?

Barkley could be the next Jim Brown but it’s still going to look like a total boneheaded move if Darnold is a Top 10 QB for the next 10+ years.

There’s also no guarantee that they’ll be in position to get a guy like Herbert next year, who I wouldn’t put on the same level as Darnold coming out anyway.

I have a feeling the Giants won't win another game this year. The OL is so bad, Eli will get hurt most likely and they play out the season with whoever the backup is. Eli will retire after this year and they will have to draft a QB

5 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Giants are not guaranteed a shot at Herbert. I seriously doubt they'll have the No. 1 pick, and I could see teams like Oakland, Denver and even Tampa Bay or Jacksonville trading up to get him.

Seriously, What team has a worse situation then the Giants. Even Buffalo is setup better with Allen. I'm waiting for Beckham to explode.

17 minutes ago, rangerous said:

a couple of seasons ago and the jets would be calling these stats great.  in all fairness they're not that bad.  i doubt if drafting darnold or rosen or whoever would change this.  the giaints are just not playing very well right now.  and odell is a moron.

These stats are extremely deceptive. A huge percentage of Eli’s yardage is from WR screens and dump offs to Barkley. The Giants have zero vertical passing attack and have been unable to convert third downs all year.

This also shows how hollow the 4000 yard mark is for QBs in the modern NFL. 

Somewhere, bob macadoo has to be smiling.  In year 1 he led them to the playoffs but half his offense did not take it seriously and they lost.

Then in year 2, he realizes manning is shot so he benches him.  Then gets fired for it.

If the giants would have led where macadoo was taking them, Sam Darnold is a giant.

image.png.74973d8c8dfd9efe6145251ba615af92.png
image.png.cfade2f9934273aff42fd45dbd2fa543.png

Eli’s been on borrowed time, but you have to think that the Rams got into their heads with the way they took Gurley then addressed the QB situation the following year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Eli’s been on borrowed time, but you have to think that the Rams got into their heads with the way they took Gurley then addressed the QB situation the following year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rams didnt have a strategy of taking a rb then a qb.  The rams took a rb because winston and marriota were off the board by the time they picked.

We can actually thank tom brady for sam darnold in a way.  Because of what brady is doing, GMs are thinking 37 is not old anymore.  10 years ago, teams would have moved on from a guy like manning at 35.  Giants got sucked in to thinking hes not washed up at 37.  Hahahaha.  Thanks Tom!!!!

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You know it's getting bad when Geno Smith talking smack. ?

Its true.  Looking back, macadoo got to the playoffs year 1.  And Eli washed up fast in his second year and he made the right call to move on.  

Macadoo could be a hot canidate next year. The guy was right!

42 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Giants are not guaranteed a shot at Herbert. I seriously doubt they'll have the No. 1 pick, and I could see teams like Oakland, Denver and even Tampa Bay or Jacksonville trading up to get him.

Jacksonville?  That'll be a minimum of 3 1s...  Come on with this.

39 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I have a feeling the Giants won't win another game this year. The OL is so bad, Eli will get hurt most likely and they play out the season with whoever the backup is. Eli will retire after this year and they will have to draft a QB

Giants have the 49ers, the Bucs at home, two with the Skins, and the Colts.  They'll find a couple wins.

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The rams didnt have a strategy of taking a rb then a qb.  The rams took a rb because winston and marriota were off the board by the time they picked.

We can actually thank tom brady for sam darnold in a way.  Because of what brady is doing, GMs are thinking 37 is not old anymore.  10 years ago, teams would have moved on from a guy like manning at 35.  Giants got sucked in to thinking hes not washed up at 37.  Hahahaha.  Thanks Tom!!!!

true.  eli is supposed to be where he is in his career now.  the thing is, two guys from his draft class are still great, and then there's brees and brady, so there's 4 other qbs eli's age or older doing well.  so the giants brass figures, why can't eli still do that?  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

true.  eli is supposed to be where he is in his career now.  the thing is, two guys from his draft class are still great, and then there's brees and brady, so there's 4 other qbs eli's age or older doing well.  so the giants brass figures, why can't eli still do that?  

All 3 of those players are superior qbs compared to Eli.  

Eli has a career like no other qb i can think of.  Hes pretty much responsible for 2 super bowls, but was never an elite qb.  

Archived