Boomer: Jets trying to acquire Chandler Jones

Lith

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chandler-Jones.jpg

Former New York Jets quarterback and current NFL analyst Boomer Esiason raised a few eyebrows when he said he believes the Jets are making an attempt to acquire pass rusher Chandler Jones from the Arizona Cardinals.

Looking for a legitimate presence off the edge for a decade, importing Jones, who had 17 sacks last year and has 68 for his career would be a welcome addition to Todd Bowles’ defense.

The post Esiason: Jets Trying to Acquire Chandler Jones appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
poXCFQ-rkK8

Click here to read the full story...

If true, the Jets are obsessed with DEs.

How long is he under contract?  Is this another Percy Harvin move?  Mac and Bowles will obviously be desperate.  

Personally, the front 7 have not been terrible.  I am more worried about injuries and the play of the secondary.  

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

If true, the Jets are obsessed with DEs.

How long is he under contract?  Is this another Percy Harvin move?  Mac and Bowles will obviously be desperate.  

Personally, the front 7 have not been terrible.  I am more worried about injuries and the play of the secondary.  

4 sacks in all of ours games except for one week. We had 2 sacks in that week.

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hmm... what makes him believe that? And doesn’t Jones play DE in the 3-4?

He played edge in New England. Haven’t seen him play in Arizona but I doubt at 265 he can play 3-4 DE. When he played for NE, he looked like a protypical 3-4 Edge.

Jones is better than any edge player we have and is surprisingly only 28. Feels like that guy has been in the league forever. I think he was in the Coples draft.

He is owed $20 mil next year. So, if we trade for him, I think we would need to restructure his contract.

I was thinking that if the Cardinals are having a fire sale and trying to ruin their young QB, who would I want? I COMPLETELY forgot about Jones because I assumed that it’s be crazy to trade him. I am on board for this 100%. Max is trade is both 3rds or less depending on how much time is left on his contract. 

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Any of those players would make us a LOT better.

It’s like going from Wesley Johnson to Spencer Long. Huge difference just from covering up a gigantic deficiency.

Scheming a rush has exceeded my expectation but to add a player like Jones is not only more affordable(salary and trade compensation) than Mack, it’ll still help us tremendously with our natural pass rush which we are still horrible at. 

We could use a little juice and something to pump this team up. Let’s stomp the colts and get this trade done. 

Chandler Jones averages about 3/4 of a sack a games which is about 12 sacks over 16 games. He has 4 seasons with sack totals over 10 and already has 4 sacks (2 FF) this year in 5 games. He has 18 FF in his 6.5 year career. He's a legit pass rusher and is only 28 (almost exactly 1 year older than Khalil Mack). He isn't Khalil Mack but he is good.

For the right price, I wouldn't mind this trade at all. I would also extend him a couple of years since his contract expires after the 2019 season and he is getting paid $20 mil next year. 

Ah yes the lousy player the pats brilliantly traded for a 2nd round pick which the pats then traded down with and a jag olineman.  Jones proceeded to put up 11 and then 17 sacks the last two years and has 4 already this year.

This would be a big get for the jets if the price is right.

But, once again,....... defense.

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Chandler Jones averages about 3/4 of a sack a games which is about 12 sacks over 16 games. He has 4 seasons with sack totals over 10 and already has 4 sacks (2 FF) this year in 5 games. He has 18 FF in his 6.5 year career. He's a legit pass rusher and is only 28 (almost exactly 1 year older than Khalil Mack). He isn't Khalil Mack but he is good.

For the right price, I wouldn't mind this trade at all. I would also extend him a couple of years since his contract expires after the 2019 season and he is getting paid $20 mil next year. 

VALUE. This is the type of pass rusher that I want in addition to a rookie. Plus this guy clearly has great technique and “stud” pass rushers seem to produce into their mid 30s for some reason so we can realistically get a GREAT 3 year run out of him and hopefully he’d still be a solid veteran rotational rusher later in his career. I’d love this move. 

Screw this. Do not use draft resources on more defense. Do everything you can to protect Darnold and get him weapons. That is VASTLY more important. Now you want to trade Skrine for Jones? Fine. Offense in todays NFL is at least twice as important as defense. Stop the insanity.

Another reason to do this trade is how bare the free agent market is looking next year. Everyone has cap space and all the top free agents are already being signed. Ideally we would trade a 3rd and a player. But not sure what player they would want since most of our guys are on 1 year deals (at least the ones we would consider trading). 

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Ah yes the lousy player the pats brilliantly traded for a 2nd round pick which the pats then traded down with and a jag olineman.  Jones proceeded to put up 11 and then 17 sacks the last two years and has 4 already this year.

This would be a big get for the jets if the price is right.

But, once again,....... defense.

It’s better they do it now so they can focus on offense in the draft.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

We need a legitimate pass rusher guys. 

Yes but but a luxury compared to protecting Sam and giving him weapons. We are not a pass rusher away from a SB, but we could be a couple of draft picks wasted on a pass rusher that leads to Darnold being injured or not reaching his potential.

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Screw this. Do not use draft resources on more defense. Do everything you can to protect Darnold and get him weapons. That is VASTLY more important. Now you want to trade Skrine for Jones? Fine. Offense in todays NFL is at least twice as important as defense. Stop the insanity.

It doesn’t work like that. You spend “money” to make “money”.

Just now, johnnysd said:

Yes but but a luxury compared to protecting Sam and giving him weapons. We are not a pass rusher away from a SB, but we could be a couple of draft picks wasted on a pass rusher that leads to Darnold being injured or not reaching his potential.

Agree but with the cap space we will have next season we can fix a  lot.  

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Another reason to do this trade is how bare the free agent market is looking next year. Everyone has cap space and all the top free agents are already being signed. Ideally we would trade a 3rd and a player. But not sure what player they would want since most of our guys are on 1 year deals (at least the ones we would consider trading). 

This is also my thinking. If we can fill the pass rusher need and make use of our cap space, it’s a win. Unless there is another stud pass rusher in round 1 of the draft, I’d trade down and try to get some o line in rounds 2-3 to take multiple shots.

Our team has enough talent where a good QB can elevate the offense. We just need a better o-line and pass rush. There’s a lot of parity in the NFL and a good QB is all you really need to make a difference against another team. We are grooming one so the future is bright. 

Archived