Boomer: Jets trying to acquire Chandler Jones

Lith

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chandler-Jones.jpg&key=400055cfc8b5219b8a224a29bf8a8b470baab1f861c830378656135811e176f9Former New York Jets quarterback and current NFL analyst Boomer Esiason raised a few eyebrows when he said he believes the Jets are making an attempt to acquire pass rusher Chandler Jones from the Arizona Cardinals.

Looking for a legitimate presence off the edge for a decade, importing Jones, who had 17 sacks last year and has 68 for his career would be a welcome addition to Todd Bowles’ defense.
The post Esiason: Jets Trying to Acquire Chandler Jones appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).
Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA&key=c767643640e33a0ef15d80c67b5aa57a9059de10343f925accbdc5cf095721f2 Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs&key=0a2193dd01b7c5589169d30db39ac68a5436f0984641a674be411071c03637a6poXCFQ-rkK8&key=f8c1c0d534b4ecd57a7a2c92ef577302d170b665bae727507edf0c898c8ae1cbClick here to read the full story...

What would we have to give up to acquire him? This is out of left field

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

56 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hmm... what makes him believe that? And doesn’t Jones play DE in the 3-4?

They are a 4-3 D shown below and he is DE on a 4 man line that at 265 pounds would translate to a 3-4 OLB on our team, though that requires some additional coverage duties.

DEFENSE
POS STARTER SECOND THIRD+
Left Defensive Tackle Robert Nkemdiche  red_cross.gif Olsen Pierre  
Left Defensive End Markus Golden  news-note-recent.gifspacer.gifred_cross.gif Benson Mayowa Zach Moore
Right Defensive Tackle Corey Peters Rodney Gunter  
Right Defensive End Chandler Jones  news-note.gif Ifeadi Odenigbo  news-note-alert.gif

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:
  1. QB
  2. Pass rusher
  3. Left Tackle

Those are the 3 most important positions in football. If you can obtain a healthy top tier pass rusher in their prime for a reasonable price you do it. You'd be lucky to draft a pass rusher in the first round that turned into Jones. So any talk of obtaining him for a late pick seems silly.

Yeah everyone says a version of that (usually QB LT Pass Rusher) but I don't think it is actually true. I think the entire OL is really more important than Pass Rusher in today's NFL, and I would argue having "triplets" as Polian always says is more important than pass rusher to a team. However pass rusher is the most important position on a defense followed by lockdown man to man corner if you can get one. An interior rusher like Donald is also more valuable than an edge rusher. Rush up the middle is far more disruptive to an offense than edge rush.

19 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yes but but a luxury compared to protecting Sam and giving him weapons. We are not a pass rusher away from a SB, but we could be a couple of draft picks wasted on a pass rusher that leads to Darnold being injured or not reaching his potential.

I hear what you are saying. And I agree, we are not a pass rusher away from being a SB contender. However, getting Chandler Jones essentially ensures our defense is top 10 for the duration of Darnold's rookie contract.

I won't do it for Mack type trade. But something like a 2019 3rd and 2020 3rd would be a solid trade for us. We can still secure a solid group of WR in free agency. And we can still get OL help in the 1st and 3rd round in the 2019 draft. 

In order for the Jets to be SB contenders a good pass rusher is needed. So at some point we have to address that position. 

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

2019 - $19.5M - Age 29

2020 - $19M - Age 30

2021 - $18.5M - Age 31

Contract would be cuttable after 2019. I would trade a 3rd for him on this deal for sure. Make it happen Mac.

Oh you are right. I thought he only had 1 year left on his deal. My bad for putting that out there. 

8 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I hear what you are saying. And I agree, we are not a pass rusher away from being a SB contender. However, getting Chandler Jones essentially ensures our defense is top 10 for the duration of Darnold's rookie contract.

I won't do it for Mack type trade. But something like a 2019 3rd and 2020 3rd would be a solid trade for us. We can still secure a solid group of WR in free agency. And we can still get OL help in the 1st and 3rd round in the 2019 draft. 

In order for the Jets to be SB contenders a good pass rusher is needed. So at some point we have to address that position. 

I see the point, but then I look at NE and how they didn't lose a step after moving on from Jones and $20 million is a LOT of cap.

Two 1st rounders is a no-go for a team like us 

Not should it be. Defense doesn’t win championships is today’s NFL. Offensive playmakers do.
Those two number one picks are going to be pivotal for sams development and success. O line and wr’s.

It’s going to be interesting to come back to these chats as we have two distinct camps in the Mack trade scenario.

I’m solidly on the side of not trading our l first rounders for Mack or any other D player. It’s time for the offense to get some consistent first rd love!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

same thing I was wondering when I watched. he mentions no source or rumor or anything, he just believes. OK boomer.

For the record, boomer called the Marty St. Louis trade about 3 weeks before anyone even had it on there radar, I know it’s a different sport but he doesn’t seem like the guy to throw sh*t at the wall 

16 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

We will have to overpay with Todd Gump still the HC.   He gets fired and we get a big name HC with HC experience then we might get more bang for the buck.

That's simply not true. While Todd had major deficiencies as a HC, recruiting players or players not wanting to play for him is definitely not one of them. 

18 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Sign an instant starter? Yes. 

It’s about time the Arizona-Bowles connection pays off. 

People call Bowles every name in the book and if he doesn’t get the Jets overall to play better and consistently he won’t be here.  But we have to stop with the nonsense that some imply that Bowles became the HC cause he was a lottery pick and was incompetent. 

No Bowles was Assistant Coach of the year as DC and did so with a team decimated by injuries.  One has to hope that Bowles will get the defense playing better  They are very good now but could be better and if they are it will save Bowles job   

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Mevi$ says hi.

What does that mean? Revis demanded more money to sign with the Jets because of Bowles? No, he did not. 

I'm not saying he gets the most out of players. I was responding to the notion that the Jets have to overpay in FA because of Bowles - an idea that is ridiculous as much as it is inaccurate. 

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Ah yes the lousy player the pats brilliantly traded for a 2nd round pick which the pats then traded down with and a jag olineman.  Jones proceeded to put up 11 and then 17 sacks the last two years and has 4 already this year.

This would be a big get for the jets if the price is right.

But, once again,....... defense.

Resolving defensive needs through trades/FA leverages offensive focus in the draft. FA for offensive linemen is poor in 2019. It's draft or nothing

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

People call Bowles every name in the book and if he doesn’t get the Jets overall to play better and consistently he won’t be here.  But we have to stop with the nonsense that some imply that Bowles became the HC cause he was a lottery pick and was incompetent. 

No Bowles was Assistant Coach of the year as DC and did so with a team decimated by injuries.  One has to hope that Bowles will get the defense playing better  They are very good now but could be better and if they are it will save Bowles job   

No that would have been your Guy Hermie the Flim Flam BBQ man.. Before coming to the Jets as HC he was never even a coordinator \\:D/

5 minutes ago, Lon chaney said:

What does that mean? Revis demanded more money to sign with the Jets because of Bowles? No, he did not. 

I'm not saying he gets the most out of players. I was responding to the notion that the Jets have to overpay in FA because of Bowles - an idea that is ridiculous as much as it is inaccurate. 

Leveon Bell

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Amari cooper is up for trade as well it seems as well as karl joseph (gee another good safety up for trade)

Jarvis Landry went for a 4th and 7th. Maybe it's just me being down on next years free agent class. But I'd pull a trade for Amari Cooper also. Call me trader Macc. But I'd trade a 4th and Pryor for Cooper and trade 2019/2020 3rds for Jones. There's like 3-4 free agents that are going to be in crazy high demand next offseason.

Go into the draft and draft one of the LTs in the first round and draft an interior OL with the 3rd round pick. Then go home. 

The Rams built their team with trades like this. And they have a great roster around Goff during his rookie contract. 

Just now, GreenFish said:

Jarvis Landry went for a 4th and 7th. Maybe it's just me being down on next years free agent class. But I'd pull a trade for Amari Cooper also. Call me trader Macc. But I'd trade a 4th and Pryor for Cooper and trade 2019/2020 3rds for Jones. There's like 3-4 free agents that are going to be in crazy high demand next offseason.

Go into the draft and draft one of the LTs in the first round and draft an interior OL with the 3rd round pick. Then go home. 

The Rams built their team with trades like this. And they have a great roster around Goff during his rookie contract. 

We could also give keeping our picks and drafting good football players a shot.

I didn't catch if anyone said this already.  . Why would the Cards want to do this?

did they have too much $ wrapped up in other players that they couldn't  pay the 20mil per year?

i can't believe they would think 3rd round for Jones is going to help Rosen ... Are they stacked at DE/OLB ?

locker room cancer?

Archived