Boomer: Jets trying to acquire Chandler Jones

Lith

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mac has been very good at trades and signings.  The problem has been his drafts.  Jones for a 3rd would be a steal.  That would allow them to focus on BPA in the '19 draft which hopefully would be a LT.  A guard could be signed in free agency.  Add a guy like Grady Jarrett to beef up the DL would be a great add as well.  It would also allow them to add a guy like Shane Ray, Anthony Barr or Shaquil Barrett to play OLB/pass rusher.

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

2019 - $19.5M - Age 29

2020 - $19M - Age 30

2021 - $18.5M - Age 31

Contract would be cuttable after 2019. I would trade a 3rd for him on this deal for sure. Make it happen Mac.

Nope. It's even less than that. The Jets wouldn't have his signing bonus on their books. It would be:

2019- 16.5 M ( more or less guaranteed)

2020-16 M

2021- 15.5 M

With the right draft pick compensation that would be more than worthwhile.

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

legit OLB/DE -- but really? we're out of draft currency for this kind of thing. 

If they’re looking for a salary cap dump and we can get him for a 3rd and get back a 5th then it’s totally worth it. Chandler Jones and 70 million in cap space is a nice way to add to a team that clearly already has a nucleus.

Jones is on fire right now.  17 sacks last season.  NFC DPOW last week.  He will not be cheap.  I also don't see any reason the Cards would look to trade him as they have about $50MM in cap space going into next season as things stand.  The only reason I could come up with is they need so much help on OLine and WR (particularly if Fitz retires) that they may need to stockpile picks any way they can, even at the expense of the defense.  ?‍♂️

I wonder if they would want one of our WRs back as part of a deal.  None of our four starting guys are under contract next season.  As much as I love Pryor right now, he might be very attractive to ARI as a way to help Rosen along and replace some of what Fitz brings in terms of size.

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Jones is on fire right now.  17 sacks last season.  NFC DPOW last week.  He will not be cheap.  I also don't see any reason the Cards would look to trade him as they have about $50MM in cap space going into next season as things stand.  The only reason I could come up with is they need so much help on OLine and WR (particularly if Fitz retires) that they may need to stockpile picks any way they can, even at the expense of the defense.  ?‍♂️

I wonder if they would want one of our WRs back as part of a deal.  None of our four starting guys are under contract next season.  As much as I love Pryor right now, he might be very attractive to ARI as a way to help Rosen along and replace some of what Fitz brings in terms of size.

Agreed ... This makes no sense from the cardinals position ... Why the h*ll would they do this trade ... Even if they get back a 2nd ... Or 2 thirds ... Doesn't make sense 

17 hours ago, ljr said:

Agreed ... This makes no sense from the cardinals position ... Why the h*ll would they do this trade ... Even if they get back a 2nd ... Or 2 thirds ... Doesn't make sense 

He doesn’t fit their “scheme” apparently...which is pc jargon for, he hates the new coaching staff.

Arizona is also rebuilding, and won’t be good by the time his contract is up. They have A LOT of holes to fill and need draft capital for their rebuild.

I would love Chandler on this D. But we have to keep one 3rd at least. We need 2-3 new OL before next season. LT/C for sure. 

23 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Jarvis Landry went for a 4th and 7th. Maybe it's just me being down on next years free agent class. But I'd pull a trade for Amari Cooper also. Call me trader Macc. But I'd trade a 4th and Pryor for Cooper and trade 2019/2020 3rds for Jones. There's like 3-4 free agents that are going to be in crazy high demand next offseason.

Go into the draft and draft one of the LTs in the first round and draft an interior OL with the 3rd round pick. Then go home. 

The Rams built their team with trades like this. And they have a great roster around Goff during his rookie contract. 

Amari Cooper?  He kind of sucks.  He was somewhere between awful and eh last year - depending on what you think of the guys we have already.  He is only signed based on the 5th year option which is like $14M for 2019.  Then he is a FA. I don't see the purpose.  Plus, he got gonged yesterday and was out with a concussion.

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Amari Cooper?  He kind of sucks.  He was somewhere between awful and eh last year - depending on what you think of the guys we have already.  He is only signed based on the 5th year option which is like $14M for 2019.  Then he is a FA. I don't see the purpose.  Plus, he got gonged yesterday and was out with a concussion.

Raiders won’t pay for his option and let him hit FA where he will surely be overpaid since there aren’t many good weapons hitting the market. Let’s resign our own core less Terelle Pryor and draft someone in 2020 to potentially be a #1.

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Please either sign a pass rusher or draft one

I really don't like the idea of using draft capital to trade for a guy and then also investing a huge chunk of cap space on him

Same here but beggers can’t be choosers. We need this final piece on D and to start restocking corners down the road. Every other resource can go to the offense. We can hopefully spend a lot on o-line next year.

I doubt we get Jones because I GUARANTEE they’d only trade him for a lot after seeing the Mack trade compensation. 

6 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Same here but beggers can’t be choosers. We need this final piece on D and to start restocking corners down the road. Every other resource can go to the offense. We can hopefully spend a lot on o-line next year.

I doubt we get Jones because I GUARANTEE they’d only trade him for a lot after seeing the Mack trade compensation. 

Begging or choosing build an offense first.

You have to manage the resources

look at next year's contracts, there is literally no offense around Sam under contract

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Begging or choosing build an offense first.

You have to manage the resources

look at next year's contracts, there is literally no offense around Sam under contract

I hear ya. Just meant that we aren’t getting a really good pass rusher unless we pay an arm AND a leg. (Cap and picks). Just the reality of it. Since no LT is available via trade, it may make sense to trade for the pass rusher on a reasonable contract and draft the LT.

If the situation was flipped, I’d consider trading for the LT and drafting the pass rusher. These are 2 holes that ideally NEED to be filled and I don’t see any other way to fill both holes in 1 year. 

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I hear ya. Just meant that we aren’t getting a really good pass rusher unless we pay an arm AND a leg. (Cap and picks). Just the reality of it. Since no LT is available via trade, it may make sense to trade for the pass rusher on a reasonable contract and draft the LT.

If the situation was flipped, I’d consider trading for the LT and drafting the pass rusher. These are 2 holes that ideally NEED to be filled and I don’t see any other way to fill both holes in 1 year. 

Next year's class is deep in pass rushers and I suspect it may be another down year for tackles

Center needs another upgrade and you can get that.

this board is obsessed with drafting oline but the league is trying to acquire veterans because of what is coming out in the draft and how long it takes to develop them

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Next year's class is deep in pass rushers and I suspect it may be another down year for tackles

Center needs another upgrade and you can get that.

this board is obsessed with drafting oline but the league is trying to acquire veterans because of what is coming out in the draft and how long it takes to develop them

I will say this much:

When people were saying Mack was the best pass rusher in the NFL and I looked it up, Chandler Jones was the one guy that has 100% been better.  At least production-wise.

Archived