Sam Darnold is growing up in front of our eyes.

hawk

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

your the 3rd person to make this comment in an even year, when the Jets are starting a rookie QB when the team is tied in October.

? What’s your point? Just curious. I just don’t like “weird” stats like this. You can find something good about ANYONE when coming up with bogus stats like this. That’s all I saying. 

I was particularly impressed with Sam/Bates recognizing the Colts difficulty with covering slants and ruthless use of them on 3rd down with different receivers and formations.

Prior jet qb/OC tandems would get too cute or over think that kind of situation, but we were relentless on it today. 

Also, the ball Sam threw to Robbie in the end zone today was perfectly placed. You almost never see Robbie drop something like that but it would have been a special play.

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

? What’s your point? Just curious. I just don’t like “weird” stats like this. You can find something good about ANYONE when coming up with body’s stats like this. That’s all I saying. 

Dude, my comment was dripping with sarcasm... I agree with you.

Imagine if we focused building 

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

No more 1st round picks on D!!! 

Darnold needs to be Jewel in the Crown. This is not Todd's toy any more, it's Sam's Team now!

Exactly. But with Todd Bowles as HC you know he is pushing his gm for pass rusher, just D in general. Mac needs to stop listening what Bowles wants, or they both will be gone next yr

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I love Barkley but no RB is worth the #2 overall pick in this day and age.

Saquon is. What he's doing is ridiculous. But they have no qb and passed on multiple potential franchise guys to take him, so despite being worth the second pick, he's still a bad pick

3 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

In the last minute of the first half, right after we intercepted, he displayed the poise of a 10 year veteran, the way he calmly marched the team right down into field-goal range.

You can sense his confidence is growing with each game. 

I would add to that the TEAM has confidence in him.  He is making the players around him better.  I sense the OLINE , while not great, is playing hard for him.  They want the kid to succeed. 

2 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Parcells says you are what your record says you are....
I say what is the monsters record?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The rest of the team is garbage. I'm not saying it was a smart pick but if they land a QB in next draft they have one of the best RBs in the nfl to pair with em. I wouldn't trade Darnold for him. 

The game is definitely getting slower for him. I’m excited for this guy. I hate to talk off-season at this point but we have to invest in offensive lineman and more weapons either via free agency or the draft. 

Please, no more 1st round picks on DL and DB. 

10 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Saquon is. What he's doing is ridiculous. But they have no qb and passed on multiple potential franchise guys to take him, so despite being worth the second pick, he's still a bad pick

He is a talent that may be worn out and never see the fruits ? of a second contract due to the state of the Giants O-line and the same for a futre. QB

Agree!

He is more decisive and getting the ball out quickly again

There were times they ran into a loaded box today and threw into coverage but it's getting better

if I'm not mistaken he has less than 40 lifetime starts at QB

Once he gets it figured out look out!

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I absolutely LOVE Sam but HATE cherry picked situational stats like this. They just seem really forced. 

While I agree Sam was truly exceptional today actually much better than his stats indicate. He looked like a 10 year veteran and those statistics are especially impressive.

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

Agree!

He is more decisive and getting the ball out quickly again

There were times they ran into a loaded box today and threw into coverage but it's getting better

if I'm not mistaken he has less than 40 lifetime starts at QB

Once he gets it figured out look out!

he DRAMTICALLY improves in the area he was weak in the week before...I really have never seen anything like it....he was brilliant today and much much better than his stats last week

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

I agree, he's on track development wise...

I do wish however, that after every game - people would stop feeling the need to extrapolate the most general/broadest judgements - on a weekly basis.

this week: SAM IS BECOMING A LEGEND

next week: SAM IS STRUGGLING 

How about just "good game" 

True, but "Sam had a good game" isn't a fun thread title. 

Watching Sam it’s just so obvious that he’s going to be very good. His demeanor and playing instincts are off the charts. You just don’t see 21 year olds throwing with the level anticipation and feel of Darnold. Kid is a natural football player, not just a great athlete.

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Didn't you contradict yourself a bit here?  Saquon is worth picking # 2, but he's a bad pick? 

Teams picking # 2 almost always have huge needs.  And if a good team trades up to # 2, they shouldn't be doing so for a RB either.  So taking ANY RB at # 2 is always a bad choice, even one as special as Saquon. 

Archived