Watching Chiefs vs Patriots. Friendly reminder Macagnan selected Ardarius Stewart over Kareem Hunt

Jetsbb

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

A lot of other guys could have picked him too. He is not unusual in that regard. It’s called crying over spilled milk. 

No other teams had other needs. Jets were specifically looking at RB there. It was verbalized in the room. Ardarius Stwart over Kareem Hunt. They believed that.

2 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Yes, but he signed Crowell who as darn close to as good as Hunt and right now has more big runs and TDs as I believe in our game they said in yards and TDs he is 2nd to only Gurley.

Stop it! Crowell was invisible today.

Just now, Jetsbb said:

No other teams had other needs. Jets were specifically looking at RB there. It was verbalized in the room. Ardarius Stwart over Kareem Hunt. They believed that.

I just don’t get the backwards looking moaning. I’m sure we could have used a QB when we passed on Brady five times. Sometimes you just have to move on. Errors are part of the game. 

Who cares.

Maybe Hunt would have won us a couple extra games last year causing us to fall further down in the draft order. Who knows- we may not have Darnold bc of it. 

Michael Kay annoys me but I think his “Fallacy of Predetermined Outcome” is pure gold. And it applies here.

17 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

A lot of other guys could have picked him too. He is not unusual in that regard. It’s called crying over spilled milk. 

And it’s one of the dumbest expressions in the English language. Oh really? Can’t talk about that spilt milk huh? You can’t ask what you did to spill it all over the place to make sure you don’t spill milk again in the future? What if some idiot had just run into the kitchen and knocked it out of my hand? Can’t ask that guy what his problem is? Nope, can’t do any of that because it’s already spilt. Just gotta move on with your life in a world where people spill milk all over the god damn place and nobody is allowed to say anything about it.

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Macc also traded  up to #3 while the price was still nothing but stupid 2nd round picks... and got us Jets fans the QB we've waited a half century for...

San Darnold.

1 great move does not forgive terrible drafting which is a real issue with him. Even the “safe” first round picks that he takes that are playing well, are positions that should not be drafted as high as they were.

I'll give him credit that he’s hit on every first rounder (which is above average as far as I’m concerned) but are the wrong positions from a solid draft philosophy standpoint. Maybe, and I can kind of accept this if his philosophy changes going forward, he did a strict BPA because of all the holes and didn’t want any first round misses or to take any risk which is why he drafted who he did. Now, that the team is more complete, there is ABSOLUTELY positional weighting and you shouldn’t draft certain positions that high. I disagree with his philosophy but understand more if it shifts now.

Now his picks from rounds 2-7....complete trash abomination . There is no defense and he is well below league average if not the worst in the NFL for this range. There’s so much wrong with his picks that I can’t even begin to analyze and we are beating a dead horse. 

Mac has done ALOT of great things with value trades, free agents, flexible contracts and securing our FQB Sam (which involved the Browns and Giants falling asleep at the wheel). I’m not discounting that. I will ALWAYS state this argument to anyone that gives Mac too much credit and thinks that his drafting is remotely acceptable because it isn’t.

This topic FIRES ME UP. Let’s hope he did well with our other picks this year besides Sam and then make a final judgement on his drafting abilities. I don’t think it’s something that can just magically be fixed. You either can draft/scout, or you can’t. Great win today and hopefully Mac put together a good enough team DESPITE his poor drafting. 

If I am the Johnsons I am asking for assurance and evidence that Mac is going to draft better going forward. 2016 and 2017 drafts were just terrible.  Nathan Shepherd is not looking hot now either.  

Mac is good at trades and FA pickups.  The Jets Scouting Department and Drafting Process is not good.  

9 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

1 great move does not forgive terrible drafting which is a real issue with him. Even the “safe” first round picks that he takes that are playing well, are positions that should not be drafted as high as they were.

I'll give him credit that he’s hit on every first rounder (which is above average as far as I’m concerned) but are the wrong positions from a solid draft philosophy standpoint. Maybe, and I can kind of accept this if his philosophy changes going forward, he did a strict BPA because of all the holes and didn’t want any first round misses or to take any risk which is why he drafted who he did. Now, that the team is more complete, there is ABSOLUTELY positional weighting and you shouldn’t draft certain positions that high. I disagree with his philosophy but understand more if it shifts now.

Now his picks from rounds 2-7....complete trash abomination . There is no defense and he is well below league average if not the worst in the NFL for this range. There’s so much wrong with his picks that I can’t even begin to analyze and we are beating a dead horse. 

Mac has done ALOT of great things with value trades, free agents, flexible contracts and securing our FQB Sam (which involved the Browns and Giants falling asleep at the wheel). I’m not discounting that. I will ALWAYS state this argument to anyone that gives Mac too much credit and thinks that his drafting is remotely acceptable because it isn’t.

This topic FIRES ME UP. Let’s hope he did well with our other picks this year besides Sam and then make a final judgement on his drafting abilities. I don’t think it’s something that can just magically be fixed. You either can draft/scout, or you can’t. Great win today and hopefully Mac put together a good enough team DESPITE his poor drafting. 

I understand where you're at.  GM is not an exact science.  He has made enough good decisions in my mind.  And you're correct... the Giants definitely messed up... and maybe the Browns too.   That was lucky.   But the reason to give Macc credit was pulling the trigger so early.  Can you imagine the price if the Colts still had the #3 pick when Darnold was on the board?  A bidding war ensues...  Sometimes you create your own luck.

Bye no means do I consider myself a draft guru but other than Hack has he over drafted a player. We can argue 2 safety’s ect. But has the value of a player really been over rated in real time not talking hind site.. my problem with Mac is in not placing more value on filling needs with multiple picks when value was apparent.

Just now, RoadFan said:

I understand where you're at.  GM is not an exact science.  He has made enough good decisions in my mind.  And you're correct... the Giants definitely messed up... and maybe the Browns too.   But the reason to give Macc credit was pulling the trigger so early.  Can you imagine the price if the Colts still had the #3 pick when Darnold was on the board?  A bidding war ensues...

Securing the #3 pick early was a GREAT move. In fact, the areas that I said he did well in, he not only does well. He does better than most other GMs.

That’s what makes grading Mac so difficult. But the bottom line is that great teams hit on draft picks during rounds 2-7. Not necessarily all pros, he just has to at least hit and find some average starters every now and then. Who do we honestly have? 2015-2018 we have Shell, Jenkins and Maye. Those aren’t really good players either. It’s just WAY too little and WAY atop many misses.

This is something  that will hold us back and possibly squander this tight window that we have on Darnold’s rookie contract. Darnold is showing that he’ll be ready to make a run for the Lombardi whenever his supporting cast is at the right level. Hard to do that with so many misses. I say this as a fan that cares and is concerned about this 5 year window. 

Just now, Bocajetfan said:

Bye no means do I consider myself a draft guru but other than Hack has he over drafted a player. We can argue 2 safety’s ect. But has the value of a player really been over rated in real time not talking hind site.. my problem with Mac is in not placing more value on filling needs with multiple picks when value was apparent.

Define "over drafted" for me. 

If you're going to say Macc has taken "the consensus player" GTFO.  GM's are supposed to out-think the consensus opinion from time to time.  It's their job to take some risks. 

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Securing the #3 pick early was a GREAT move. In fact, the areas that I said he did well in, he not only does well. He does better than most other GMs.

That’s what makes grading Mac so difficult. But the bottom line is that great teams hit on draft picks during rounds 2-7. Not necessarily all pros, he just has to at least hit and find some average starters every now and then. Who do we honestly have? 2015-2018 we have Shell, Jenkins and Maye. Those aren’t really good players either. It’s just WAY too little and WAY atop many misses.

This is something  that will hold us back and possibly squander this tight window that we have on Darnold’s rookie contract. Darnold is showing that he’ll be ready to make a run for the Lombardi whenever his supporting cast is at the right level. Hard to do that with so many misses. I say this as a fan that cares and is concerned about this 5 year window. 

Your rookie contract window notion is duly noted... and correct.

I have been saying for almost two years this franchise should be setting up for Super Bowl runs in 2020 and 2021...  when Brady should be retired or broken down. 

I hear you on the misses.  But in my opinion, Bowles is a far bigger obstacle than Macc.

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Your rookie contract window notion is duly noted... and correct.

I have been saying for almost two years this franchise should be setting up for Super Bowl runs in 2020 and 2021...  when Brady should be retired or broken down. 

I hear you on the misses.  But in my opinion, Bowles is a far bigger obstacle than Macc.

Mac is definitely the lesser of 2 evils. I think we can contend as soon as te supporting cast is a little better. Darnold will be more complete in year 2 and ready to roll. 

30 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And it’s one of the dumbest expressions in the English language. Oh really? Can’t talk about that spilt milk huh? You can’t ask what you did to spill it all over the place to make sure you don’t spill milk again in the future? What if some idiot had just run into the kitchen and knocked it out of my hand? Can’t ask that guy what his problem is? Nope, can’t do any of that because it’s already spilt. Just gotta move on with your life in a world where people spill milk all over the god damn place and nobody is allowed to say anything about it.

We can agree to disagree. I just can’t see investing much negative mojo, based entirely on hindsight,  in stuff that has already happened. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Define "over drafted" for me. 

If you're going to say Macc has taken "the consensus player" GTFO.  GM's are supposed to out-think the consensus opinion from time to time.  It's their job to take some risks. 

Drafting a player using Hack as an example in the 2nd round when he most likely has a late 3rd or 4th round grade. On a big board you may have 3 or4 players very close just think Mac has not placed enough importance on the offensive side of the team when deficiencies were apparent. 

49 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Can't put the tooth paste back in the tube either.

Archived