Have we switched to a 4-3?

RobR

One thing that has stood out to me over the last two games is we are running a ton of 4-3. Since Bowles took over the defense we're routinely running two D Lineman hands in the dirt, two of our OLB's standing up as ends and Adams creeping into the other LB spot.

Does anyone know of any stats site that keeps track of this?

To get more pressure on the QB it seems like Bowles has gone to a lot more
2-4-5 nickel looks.  Usually the two DLinemen are Williams & Anderson (our
best pass rushers) with the OLB's (a mix of Jenkins, Copeland, Luvu &
Attaochu) standing up on the line.  It gives us a "light box" and it makes
it easier for the opponent to run on us.  Until we find our own Von Miller
its probably the best way we can get some pressure

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

Exactly. Not a true 4-3. I think this package works better with our personnel than a true 4-3 anyways. Gotta be careful with the run defense though and if we do typical 3 lineman look, our pass rush may grind to a halt. 

Not thrilled on the run D sacrifice in these cases. But, the Pass kills you more and though we are giving up good amount of yards, we are only giving up 23 points per game, so 24+ points wins it for us. Our true identity on D is what we used to affectionately call an opportunistic defense. What that really means is we get the turnovers at the best times in games to diffuse what the opposing O is doing. Examples are below:

1) Adams tip and Mo's pick 6 - took initial Momentum in the game to start and if Nickerson on the 2nd drive caught the ball we were probably looking at 14-0 to start.

2) After Jet INT, Colts 1st and goal on the 1 stopped and went backwards causing a FG. Also, the next drive they were held to a FG for a 2nd straight TO. This took away both momentum at the time and caused the Colts to lose 8 points (The margin they lost by).

3) Adams force fumble on the RB. - Killed Colts momentum at the time.

4) LB Williamson's INT.

5) Lee's INT towards the end of the game - Effectively ended the game.   

16 hours ago, RobR said:

One thing that has stood out to me over the last two games is we are running a ton of 4-3. Since Bowles took over the defense we're routinely running two D Lineman hands in the dirt, two of our OLB's standing up as ends and Adams creeping into the other LB spot.

Does anyone know of any stats site that keeps track of this?

Well it isn't a 3 man line so they really aren't a 3-4 team anymore. They are playing two linebackers at the line of scrimmage a ton. They are both standing up, so I think that makes them a 2 - 4. 

I have been saying it, but I think people are going to figure out how to run against it. Definitely seems to be working for now, despite the late defensive lapses yesterday.

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Really good post and great way of explaining it. There is a trade off but it is smart what Bowles is doing. Would be great to be in a 3 - 4 and be able to stop the run while still generating a pass rush. That second part isn't going to happen as they stand today so I am glad they adjusted.

20 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well it isn't a 3 man line so they really aren't a 3-4 team anymore. They are playing two linebackers at the line of scrimmage a ton. They are both standing up, so I think that makes them a 2 - 4. 

I have been saying it, but I think people are going to figure out how to run against it. Definitely seems to be working for now, despite the late defensive lapses yesterday.

I thought traditionally, in a nickle 3-4 defense, you took a LB off and added added a DB, but left the 3 DL.

The Bowles' defense uses these flexible players, which is fine and it appears to be working until someone runs on it, but you have to wonder slightly why the Jets carry so many DL and effectively drafted 3 DL last year (Shepherd, Foley, Anderson (trade for 7th).  

Reminds me of when Rex ran big nickel against Peyton to dare him to audible to a run, but that defense could stop the run

Smart game plan for the colts

Bowles said after the game that there were issues in the middle of the run defense in the second half that they will clean up

I sure hope so lol

6 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Exactly. Not a true 4-3. I think this package works better with our personnel than a true 4-3 anyways. Gotta be careful with the run defense though and if we do typical 3 lineman look, our pass rush may grind to a halt. 

I think it's a hybrid that they switch to. Keep the O line guessing as to who blocks who. Gotta get creative with no true pass rushers.

Just now, Thai Jet said:

I think it's a hybrid that they switch to. Keep the O line guessing as to who blocks who. Gotta get creative with no true pass rushers.

I’d prefer this. I was just wondering what would have to change if we officially change to a 4-3. I prefer hybrid if we can pull it off. This way scheme comes into play. 

34 minutes ago, Larz said:

Reminds me of when Rex ran big nickel against Peyton to dare him to audible to a run, but that defense could stop the run

Smart game plan for the colts

Bowles said after the game that there were issues in the middle of the run defense in the second half that they will clean up

That's the key part. Making the necessary adjustments. Look at KC's offensive adjustments at half time last nite. From 9 points to 31 points. Gotta tweak stuff when you spot a deficiency.

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’d prefer this. I was just wondering what would have to change if we officially change to a 4-3. I prefer hybrid if we can pull it off. This way scheme comes into play. 

A pass rushing end like Everson Griffen would be a nice start. .

We seem to getting a fair amount of flexibility/utility out of our LBs this year (almost bizarre isn’t it?) which has done as well in a many ways, especially in the turnovers department (our LBs must lead the NFL in turnovers)...but it’s come at the price of sloppy run-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived