The Most Important Post-Game Quote You'll Ever Read

Doggin94it

“We know that we’re gonna attack the defense ’til the clock goes down to zero,” Darnold said. “So we’re just gonna stay in attack mode and continue to play that way.”

https://nypost.com/2018/10/14/the-moment-sam-darnold-saved-jets-year-and-maybe-bowles-job/

If the staff really gets this - if this is really the mentality from here on out - then everything changes.  Everything.

Welcome to today's NFL, Todd.  It's nice here.

“We know that we’re gonna attack the defense ’til the clock goes down to zero,” Darnold said. “So we’re just gonna stay in attack mode and continue to play that way.”

https://nypost.com/2018/10/14/the-moment-sam-darnold-saved-jets-year-and-maybe-bowles-job/ If the staff really gets this - if this is really the mentality from here on out - then everything changes.  Everything.

Thing don’t really change week to week. People need to stop overreacting to everything.

With Rex and now Bowles, the Jets have always played scared as the clock ticks down.  With Darnold so far so good.  Even when there was good cause and I half expected it and half dreaded it, I've not seem him play scared AT ANY TIME or at any place on the field.  This is a day and night difference for us!    

22 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/14/the-moment-sam-darnold-saved-jets-year-and-maybe-bowles-job/

If the staff really gets this - if this is really the mentality from here on out - then everything changes.  Everything.

I definitely think it is Todd maturing and adapting to the NFL today. But I also think a large part is that they now have a QB they really trust. Crazy that it took a 21 year old to gain that confidence.

Here's what I don't get here at Jet Nation. Bowles team did well his first year. I wasn't a member here then, but I'll assume everyone was happy, except for the last game. The second year it became apparent that 1st year was fools gold, and the team was broken up. Last year, with a roster that was picked to be the worst in the NFL, the Jets won 5 games. Pretty good job by the coach I thought, the team played hard. This year, the 2nd of the rebuild, we are 3-3, have a 21 year old QB in place, getting better each week it seems. We have a lot of nice young players improving as they learn, and some nice surprises this year like Herndon, Crowell, Claiborne, and Anderson. Looks like we got a good LB and hopefully a #1 CB in the offseason. The OL is playing better then we thought they would. We have a ton of cap room for next year. This sounds like a pretty good situation to me for any organization, and you'd think the fan base would be happy, or at least optimistic. Instead, all you hear is "Fire Bowles", "the D sucks" "we need this, we need that... but FIRE BOWLES!!!" Personally, I root for us to win every week, and I'm curious to see the reaction here this season if it looks like we can get 7 or more wins. This would mean Bowles is back next year. Will the anti-Bowles people here want us to win games come November and December, or will they want us to lose in hopes of him getting fired? This place has a lot of knowledgeable fans, but it also has a strange dynamic, where you almost have to be negative to be one of the "smart kids".

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Watch him punt it from the midfield on 4th n short , down 2 scores with 5 minutes left in the game. 

20 hours ago, Maxman said:

I definitely think it is Todd maturing and adapting to the NFL today. But I also think a large part is that they now have a QB they really trust. Crazy that it took a 21 year old to gain that confidence.

To think we Could have paid Kirk Cousins 34 mill per. A QB who's Nine years older than Sam!!!!

8 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to see them go for the score before halftime yesterday. Definitely wasn't expecting them to. 

9 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

true enough.  it appears darnold understands the urgency in scoring points.  when was the last time the jets scored points at the end of a half ot camr out ready to play in the second half.

21 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

With Rex and now Bowles, the Jets have always played scared as the clock ticks down.  With Darnold so far so good.  Even when there was good cause and I half expected it and half dreaded it, I've not seem him play scared AT ANY TIME or at any place on the field.  This is a day and night difference for us!    

Agree that Darnold is unflappable. No situation is too big for him. But, to expand on your coaching comment , you coach scared when you do not trust your QB. You are scared precisely because you think the odds are pretty good he'll F' up the game if it is in his hands. So, you run the ball and play clock.  But, when your best player on the field is your QB, you trust him to make plays.  

I think there's a two-way process here. Coaches are more likely to continue to attack if the attack has shown it is working. Sam was in a groove, we were scoring on most drives, it makes it easier to keep going if it's already working. If we'd been turning it over, going 3 and out, the decision there would likely have been more conservative IMHO.

Just last week Dallas punted on 4th and 1 (or 4th and 1.5) in OT. Garrett's decision was affected by the fact that earlier they'd failed on a short yardage conversion. If those earlier conversions were working, chances are he goes for it there too.

The really bold (or suicidal) coaches are the ones who go for it when things AREN'T working. I think right now that 's still where Bowles is at. He'll go with a hot hand, but won't take risks of digging a deeper hole

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to see them go for the score before halftime yesterday. Definitely wasn't expecting them to. 

Especially how effective they were managing the clock to three seconds.  That was very well done and executed. Kinda weird. 

a not so subtle shot at the vagiants and the end of the article was good too

Avery Williamson was told that Namath had fired up the crowd by guaranteeing the 2018 Jets can beat anybody. “We can beat anybody,” Williamson said. “We have a young team, but I feel like we’re maturing in the right direction.”

No one more than Sam White Shoes Darnold.

“I loved ’em,” Darnold said, and smiled. “Felt like Joe out there.”

If the shoe fits, kid, wear it.

I believe Bates has more control these last couple of weeks. It’s a combination of things. 

- Bowles knows if Darnold doesn’t develop well this season then Bowles is gone, which prompted him to give Bates & Darnold more freedom (because Bowles knows nothing of aggressive offensive play)

- Bowles’ defense had been a disappointment and needed to focus on the defense more, especially with Rogers’ illness.

A zebra can’t change his stripes though. Until shown otherwise, I believe Todd Bowles old-school/out-dated brand of football will hold the team back long term. I am excited to see how Jeremy Bates develops Darnold and this offense (I love the zone blocking run game). 

Either Chris Johnson makes a backfoor agreement for next year that Bowles is HC in name, but controls the D, and Bates controls the O...or Bowles is fires, Bates is HC and hires a good DC to run our young talented D.

Bowles is learning.  Don’t wish Kacey any I’ll will,  but this is a better team with Bowles calling the defensive plays and letting Bates do his thing on the offense. 

I see the Jets like the Bucs with Dungy.  Bowles will build the D and character and the Jets will wait for an offensive mind to take them to the next level.  At this point the Broncos and Cowboys, and maybe the Giants, are looking for a new coach.  The Jets will have a lot of competition.  They need to improve on Bowles to replace him.  Another first timer may not do it.

Bowles improves if the Jets draft better.  That looks like the biggest problem to me. 

53 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Especially how effective they were managing the clock to three seconds.  That was very well done and executed. Kinda weird. 

Well let me preface this by saying that I am not a Todd Bowles fan. I have been one of his biggest critic's as anyone can see. That being said I think Bowles, for the first time in a long time has confidence in his starting QB. That confidence looks to be growing every week as Sam shows more progress. That little drive at the end of the first half sure surprised the hell out of me. I figured they would run it out and be content with what they had. This team is getting better as the season goes on which is exactly what I wanted to see at the beginning of the year. Now old habits die hard and a stinker of a game is coming make no doubt about that. The thing is I'm expecting it less and less. Big test coming up this week with the Vikings game and our secondary play is bothering me going in. We are banged up back there and that could be a huge problem but for the first time I'm feeling that maybe the offense can deal with it and maybe even overcome it. Heady times in Jetland my Bros, heady times indeed.

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Here's what I don't get here at Jet Nation. Bowles team did well his first year. I wasn't a member here then, but I'll assume everyone was happy, except for the last game. The second year it became apparent that 1st year was fools gold, and the team was broken up. Last year, with a roster that was picked to be the worst in the NFL, the Jets won 5 games. Pretty good job by the coach I thought, the team played hard. This year, the 2nd of the rebuild, we are 3-3, have a 21 year old QB in place, getting better each week it seems. We have a lot of nice young players improving as they learn, and some nice surprises this year like Herndon, Crowell, Claiborne, and Anderson. Looks like we got a good LB and hopefully a #1 CB in the offseason. The OL is playing better then we thought they would. We have a ton of cap room for next year. This sounds like a pretty good situation to me for any organization, and you'd think the fan base would be happy, or at least optimistic. Instead, all you hear is "Fire Bowles", "the D sucks" "we need this, we need that... but FIRE BOWLES!!!" Personally, I root for us to win every week, and I'm curious to see the reaction here this season if it looks like we can get 7 or more wins. This would mean Bowles is back next year. Will the anti-Bowles people here want us to win games come November and December, or will they want us to lose in hopes of him getting fired? This place has a lot of knowledgeable fans, but it also has a strange dynamic, where you almost have to be negative to be one of the "smart kids".

Lot of good points here. I get what you are saying but Bowles and Mac have MAJOR flaws that haven’t been fixed and have nothing to do with growing on the job. It’s instinct and philosophy. Bowles constantly brings out flat teams after big wins, has questionable control over the locker room, way too conservative philosophy and terrible clock/situation management. This has not improved at all over a 4 year period and I’m not naive enough to just act like all is well because we have a 2 game winning streak FINALLY. Mac can’t draft to save his life after the first round.

These are 2 sets of very REAL sand damning flaws for each. A lot of us are very negative about those too but root hard every week and never want this team to lose. I’d love for Bowles to show improvement and the Jets to do well this year but I also have seen enough and do not trust him at all anymore. He is what he is. Sure there are some positives but this is a week to week league and some teams lay eggs. That’s why you have to look at the body of work at the end of the season.

The first 4 game stretch  was a TERRIBLE start after a great season opener that gave everyone false hope. So yeah, everyone was pissed off and rightfully so. If you weren’t upset at Bowles/coaching after that start and after his history over the last 4 years, I have to question fandom and if you really care about the team or are just ok with complacency and drinking kool aid. It’s good to question things and demand improvement within reason. The anti Bowles crowd (I’m still one of them) was being very reasonable and patient with him. He has not shown enough until this point and to change opinion after one game based on feeling is short sighted and emotional.

Let’s just enjoy the ride and then make our judgements. Can’t do it this early after that 3 game in 10 day stretch, rookie QB AND anew blocking scheme being installed. Let’s give it a chance and take it from there. 

It was nice to see the aggressiveness of the offense for a change. It's been a long time since we had an offense that was in constant attack mode.  It's only one game, of course, but perhaps there was a shift in mentality with this coaching staff that will carry over to next week and beyond.  A good QB at the helm has that kind of effect, ya know? 

9 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well let me preface this by saying that I am not a Todd Bowles fan. I have been one of his biggest critic's as anyone can see. That being said I think Bowles, for the first time in a long time has confidence in his starting QB. That confidence looks to be growing every week as Sam shows more progress. That little drive at the end of the first half sure surprised the hell out of me. I figured they would run it out and be content with what they had. This team is getting better as the season goes on which is exactly what I wanted to see at the beginning of the year. Now old habits die hard and a stinker of a game is coming make no doubt about that. The thing is I'm expecting it less and less. Big test coming up this week with the Vikings game and our secondary play is bothering me going in. We are banged up back there and that could be a huge problem but for the first time I'm feeling that maybe the offense can deal with it and maybe even overcome it. Heady times in Jetland my Bros, heady times indeed.

I will be there for the Vikings game. First time at new stadium. Very excited. 

18 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I will be there for the Vikings game. First time at new stadium. Very excited. 

I so wanted to be there but I couldn't swing it. My schedule wouldn't permit it and I really wanted to go. Hopefully if there is another planned outing I can make that one. I will be there in spirit though and will be watching at home. Hopefully you guys get a good game.

11 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

If they didn't there's no way they win yesterday.  Our O kept responding and putting more pressure on the Colts O until they eventually made the big mistake to seal it.  I know people will complain about FGs but it was huge coming away w/ points on so many drives.  The O won this game and hopefully we can have a game soon where all units are firing just like week 1.

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This will happen until the very moment it does not work and costs us points and then Bowles will totally put a stop to it.  Guaranteed.

What else does your crystal ball of doom and gloom say? 

Gotta be in attack mode as often as possible in today's game.  Just look at the Eagles' Super Bowl win over the Patriots.  They got there by trusting the offense and taking calculated risks. 

Granted, as @sourceworx pointed out, its easier to be aggressive with a real QB on the roster.  But remember, the offense has mostly been stronger than our defense overall since Bowles arrived, even with Fitzpatrick and McCown under center.  You have to set a tone by not going into a shell every time you get a lead. 

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

The last 2 games have been fun, but it's only 2 out of 54 games. 54 games in which the Bowles/Mac tandem have presented an entirely underwhelming product. Heck, it was only 2 weeks ago that we were on a 3 game losing streak and coming off an ugly 6 quarters of football against the Browns and Jags.

It's not being negative or a "smart kid" to evaluate the whole rather than the recent.  I'm 100% certain if this current run keeps going Bowles will win back the fans, but history would seem to suggest they are going to lay an egg soon. Lets hope not.

45 minutes ago, CTM said:

The last 2 games have been fun, but it's only 2 out of 54 games. 54 games in which the Bowles/Mac tandem have presented an entirely underwhelming product. Heck, it was only 2 weeks ago that we were on a 3 game losing streak and coming off an ugly 6 quarters of football against the Browns and Jags.

It's not being negative or a "smart kid" to evaluate the whole rather than the recent.  I'm 100% certain if this current run keeps going Bowles will win back the fans, but history would seem to suggest they are going to lay an egg soon. Lets hope not. 

Exactly.  It's a "body of work" thing. 

The Jets haven't been to a Super Bowl in my lifetime.  So yes, the "smart kids", or realists, are negative when it comes to this team and its prospects.  Much better than saying everything is awesome when it rarely is with this franchise.  And this regime hasn't proven to be much different than the ones that have come before it. 

It doesn't mean we're not Jets fans, it means we've accepted a simple truth:  This franchise mostly sucks.  Maybe it'll get better, but the history hasn't supported that for some time. 

I was getting pissed at Bowles, but the defense does seem to be better and more aggressive since he took over.    #1, I do not, ever, want to see someone seriously ill.   That being said, Bowles should be much more active on the defensive side of the ball.

13 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Oh now hold on a minute, I too am happy at Darnold's progress, but let us not forget how they played like scared little kids in Jacksonville from second one until the end. Oh and how about the second half in Cleveland, have we forgotten that collapse? It is easy to say these things like "we are going to keep the pressure on until the end" but not as easy to do, and again, a leopard (Jet HC) never changes his spots. IMO, the next 3 weeks will show a lot and tell us exactly where we are in terms of playing scared against Minny Chi and Mia. If we can manage to win 2 of those we are in great shape.

Archived