John Abraham- Where does he play next yr?

Smizzy

The Jets hired Mangini. Word is He isn't a Joh Abraham fan.

What team will he end up with?

Word is? whose word would that be? where did you hear that? I can't believe anybody with a defensive background would say he wasn't a fan of Abe's...maybe he doesn't like his work ethic or something like that but to come in and say Im not an Abraham fan to me is assinine

Word is? whose word would that be? where did you hear that? I can't believe anybody with a defensive background would say he wasn't a fan of Abe's...maybe he doesn't like his work ethic or something like that but to come in and say Im not an Abraham fan to me is assinine

I think Cimini said during the chat that Abe is as good as gone if Mangini is hired. We'll see.

finally terry and co got something right. who knows how well mangini will do year 1 but the optimism i feel now would have been pure agony if terry opted for tice or haslett...at least i feel good today. my views on abe and defense now that mangini is in...

abe=jets version of mcginnist

ellis=jets version of seymour

vilma=jets version of bruschi

robertson=jets version of wilfork

barton=jets version of vrabel/johnson

we go to a 3-4, maybe we draft a stud defender at 4 (say hawk from ohio state) and solidify the D first, then work on the offense. ellis, robertson and thomas up front, abe, vilma, hobson and (hawk?), miller, barret, coleman, rhodes...not a bad starting point considering they're coached well...

well since when do we take reporters words on anything? I don't believe anything NY reporters say till it is finalized..

Yeah, thats why I said "we'll see". My instinct says Mangini will want as many playmakers as he can. We're 30 mil over the cap so it won't be easy to keep Abe since he'll want a pay raise/huge bonus.

Can we get anything for him? Even if we franchise him and then trade him away? I would think we could get a 1st rounder for a rare pass rusher with the speed he has.

why are you so intent on getting rid of a proven pash rusher for a gamble in the draft?

why are you so intent on getting rid of a proven pash rusher for a gamble in the draft?

Why do you have such a hard time respecting the fact that some people prefer talented DURABLE players, something we know John Abe is not. I for one would LOVE for Abe to stay a jet for the long term. He's the best pure pass rusher they've had in forever. Until his decision to sit out the playoffs last season he was my favorite Jets. I have lost some respect for the guy but I do want him to be a jet. At the same time I can fully understand those who dont want him here. He has shown that he will not play in a huge game even if cleared by team doctors. This is football. Some people want hard nosed, win at all cost players. Something John Abe is not.

Again, if it were up to me I'd like to see a big dollar incentive laden deal. Stay healthy and get your money. Sit out and lose money. Something I don't think Abe will be willing to do. If his asking price is through the roof he'll be gone. 30 mil over doesnt' leave a lot of room for big pay raises.

Why do you have such a hard time respecting the fact that some people prefer talented DURABLE players, something we know John Abe is not. I for one would LOVE for Abe to stay a jet for the long term. He's the best pure pass rusher they've had in forever. Until his decision to sit out the playoffs last season he was my favorite Jets. I have lost some respect for the guy but I do want him to be a jet. At the same time I can fully understand those who dont want him here. He has shown that he will not play in a huge game even if cleared by team doctors. This is football. Some people want hard nosed, win at all cost players. Something John Abe is not.

Again, if it were up to me I'd like to see a big dollar incentive laden deal. Stay healthy and get your money. Sit out and lose money. Something I don't think Abe will be willing to do. If his asking price is through the roof he'll be gone. 30 mil over doesnt' leave a lot of room for big pay raises.

he decided on his own to sit out the playoffs and

and Herm said ok, don't worry about it? I doubt that.

he was cleared by the doctor and sat out anyway? wrong

I understand the money problem, that would be easier to accept...I cannot understand the people who have a hard on for the guy and would as soon see him walk with no compensation then sign him, do you get it?

8 1/2 sacks I believe, no missed games and no fat body next to him to lighten the load...people better think about who plays Abes spot if he leaves before they decide to get rid of him

he decided on his own to sit out the playoffs and

and Herm said ok, don't worry about it? I doubt that.

he was cleared by the doctor and sat out anyway? wrong

I understand the money problem, that would be easier to accept...I cannot understand the people who have a hard on for the guy and would as soon see him walk with no compensation then sign him, do you get it?

8 1/2 sacks I believe, no missed games and no fat body next to him to lighten the load...people better think about who plays Abes spot if he leaves before they decide to get rid of him

I've yet to hear anybody say they're fine letting him walk without compensastion.

Herm said after the SD win that Abe was cleared to play and he expected him to suit up for Pitt (granted it was Herm so maybe the HC had it wrong) After talking to Abe about it his reply was that perhaps he spoke too soon and John probably would not play. Herm has his shortcomings as a HC but I seriously doubt he'd tell the press that John would play without being medically cleared to do so.

It is what it is. The guy tweaked his knee and was expected to miss 2-4 wks and ended up sitting out the final four games of the season and two playoff games.

Perhaps you've forgotten but Abe himself said that playing or not playing was a tough decision becuaseit was contract time. He didn't say "I'm too hurt to play" he said he'd rather sit with a sore knee to secure a big pay day. This is why many Jet fans (myself included) lost a lot of respect for the guy. For chrissakes at least be smart enough to say "no I can't go because my knee is killing me" as opposed to referring to a big pay day.

I also like the fact that most former players turned broadcasters questioned Abe on this one. NFL players play in big games with serious injuries. Tape it up, wear a brace, get an injection...do what it takes. Abe isn't a guy who's willing to do that and thats not what all fans want. Some people want a guy who will lay it all on the line.

IMO and MO only, if a player is well enough to stand on the sidelines and jump around to celebrate a win (Abe after the SD game), he should be well enough to suit up and play a week later with a shot to go to the conference championship game. Again, this is JMO.

AirForce;

I'm with you on this one. I would love to keep Abe long term. You can easily see what he can do when he is on.

But the finances dictate taht he may not be here. Therefore, cut bait this year, get a good compensation package back, and let's go in a different direction.

I've yet to hear anybody say they're fine letting him walk without compensastion.

Herm said after the SD win that Abe was cleared to play and he expected him to suit up for Pitt (granted it was Herm so maybe the HC had it wrong) After talking to Abe about it his reply was that perhaps he spoke too soon and John probably would not play. Herm has his shortcomings as a HC but I seriously doubt he'd tell the press that John would play without being medically cleared to do so.

It is what it is. The guy tweaked his knee and was expected to miss 2-4 wks and ended up sitting out the final four games of the season and two playoff games.

Perhaps you've forgotten but Abe himself said that playing or not playing was a tough decision becuaseit was contract time. He didn't say "I'm too hurt to play" he said he'd rather sit with a sore knee to secure a big pay day. This is why many Jet fans (myself included) lost a lot of respect for the guy. For chrissakes at least be smart enough to say "no I can't go because my knee is killing me" as opposed to referring to a big pay day.

I also like the fact that most former players turned broadcasters questioned Abe on this one. NFL players play in big games with serious injuries. Tape it up, wear a brace, get an injection...do what it takes. Abe isn't a guy who's willing to do that and thats not what all fans want. Some people want a guy who will lay it all on the line.

IMO and MO only, if a player is well enough to stand on the sidelines and jump around to celebrate a win (Abe after the SD game), he should be well enough to suit up and play a week later with a shot to go to the conference championship game. Again, this is JMO.

I couldn't agree with you more bro.

I used to be one of the biggest Abraham fans around, but when he pulled that crap during the playoffs last year, I was disgusted with him & I will always be disgusted with him.

abe should be kept and moved to OLB in a 3-4 set. the guy who worries me is robertson because he's too small to play NT in the 3-4.

Robertson is a concern. I think he will be kept for one year and then traded alas hugh douglas.

the fact that his name isn't bollinger, kitna, fiedler, or dilfer is enough for me.

he had me at hello

Kinda how I reacted to Mangini....told my friend when I seen him

Me: The Jets got Mangini

Him: Oh, I guess thats good

Me: Okay, the Jets didn't get Tice or Haslett

Him: AWESOME!!!

Archived