Mike Mccagnan in our section

Dcat

The good news with Mac is we no longer have to wonder 'who's in charge'.  He has made better trades than I thought possible.  Dumping Sheldon for Kearse and a second was the deal of the year.  Trading up to the third pick to nab Sam was the deal of the year.  We lost Enunwa for several weeks and we have Pryor to step in.  Great move.  We lose Maye for several weeks and we have Middleton to step in.  Good move.  Several, albeit not all, free agent signings have been successful.  I really think Trumaine will prove to be a good signing in time.

Now it's well documented that Mac has had a blind spot regarding the offensive line.  And his drafts have been way less than stellar.  He needs to revamp the scouting department and hand that off to an expert.  I really do think we're close.  Let's not lose sight of the fact that George Young had some poor drafts in his first few years but he transformed the Giants from laughing stock (way worse than the Jets were) into Super Bowl Champs.  I really think we're on that path.

21 hours ago, nycdan said:

True, but at the current moment, you could argue that all four 1st round picks, Williams, Lee, Adams and Darnold are playing tremendous football.  That would have been blasphemy back in August.  Add in a few more moves like Henry Anderson, Kearse as part of the Sheldon trade, Shell in the 5th, and Robby Anderson as UDFA, and suddenly, Macc's fingerprints don't look completely smudged on this team.  There's a lot to criticize, but he might turn out to be a little better at this than most of us thought a few months ago.

Tremendous may be a stretch, but I agree, the first rounders look solid right now.  Obviously Darnold is the prize.  I still think Adams was a bad draft pick, but he's not a bad player to have on the team.  Hopefully he improves in coverage.  Lee is making plays in the passing game, but is worthless in the run game, and that's a problem.  Williams is a good football player, but outside of the Denver game, and one play against the Colts, it's been hard to see his contributions.  He certainly hasn't done everything bad, and there are good things to point to, including that which you mentioned.  But, you can't essentially miss on all of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round, and build a winning team.

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

even though he's ultimately responsible he should be taking a good look at his scouting dept since they are the ones who rate the players

After 4 years, it's a bit late for this, no?

5 hours ago, TeddEY said:

After 4 years, it's a bit late for this, no?

Well, the way I look at it, I think he scouts the pro teams and leaves most of the college football to his scouts. When it comes to signing pro FA's or PS players he's done a pretty good job. Either way, like I said, he's ultimately responsible 

Archived