The Wife Wants To Move To NJ

New York Mick

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

She’s wants to get away from the high crime and sh*tty schools in S Florida and be with in 30 minutes to an hour from Bergen County. What area should I look at? Basic things I’m looking into is work (residential electrical), good schools, and low crime. 

Prepare for absurdly high state and local property taxes.  NJ is sick with over taxation.  Not s bad as Long Island or Westchester, but the cost of living can be close to double that of South Florida.  Don't forget how much it costs to heat your house for 6 months here too.  

15 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Prepare for absurdly high state and local taxes.  NJ is sick with over taxation.  Cost of living can be close to double that of South Florida.  Don't forget how much it costs to heat your house for 6 months here too.  

I’m hoping the pay scale is higher cause it’s awful in Florida. 

34 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

She’s wants to get away from the high crime and sh*tty schools in S Florida and be with in 30 minutes to an hour from Bergen County. What area should I look at? Basic things I’m looking into is work (residential electrical), good schools, and low crime. 

Mick.....you will have to earn 2-3x what you are making now to stay even. I've lived here my whole life, but it just gets harder every year because of the tax situation. My wife and I have two homes here, and between them we pay $35,000 a year in property taxes alone. If she has her heart set on the move, especially if it is family related(parents, maybe?) you know what the eventual outcome will be. If you guys really like the warmer climate, have you considered Texas? Much more favorable tax situation, and a generally growing economy.

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

Mick.....you will have to earn 2-3x what you are making now to stay even. I've lived here my whole life, but it just gets harder every year because of the tax situation. My wife and I have two homes here, and between them we pay $35,000 a year in property taxes alone. If she has her heart set on the move, especially if it is family related(parents, maybe?) you know what the eventual outcome will be. If you guys really like the warmer climate, have you considered Texas? Much more favorable tax situation, and a generally growing economy.

I hate warmer weather. Florida weather sucks 10 months a year. She wants to be closer to family. My family lives in LI and it’s ridiculously expensive. My one brother is paying around $25k a year in property tax. 

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Ha. My wife wants to move out of here for weather and cost of living reasons, and into Tampa for family reasons. I've fortunately gotten her to open up to other ideas since (1) SFL weather is not for me, (2) FL lifestyle according to what I see and read is not for me, (3) she'll easily find work due to her profession, I won't due to mine.

Then again, that's the case almost throughout the country for the two of us. Right now I love Texas and NC, and they're slightly better for my profession than FL, but still going to be tough. I'd be interested in whether we'll even move at all tbh.

Regarding your situation: have you looked into parts of CT? It's far, ridiculously expensive, and the people generally suck...but at least property taxes are low!

5 hours ago, section314 said:

Texas is great.

No state income tax.   Jobs.   Property taxes are high, but the houses are still way cheaper than NJ, so it's better.   Example, I have a rental, 2200 sq feet, 3 bed, 2 bath, large pool in the back yard, about 5k in taxes.

6 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Check out Wyoming Mick. Area near Cheyenne has some of the friendliest people I have ever met. Low taxes , no crime and a gun rights state. 

7 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Move here to Northern Va.  Fairfax county. Housing is pricey but some of the best schools in the nation, pay scale is very good and not that far away from NY, NJ

I drive "home" from my expensive house at least twice a month.  I am now in Silver Spring, MD so I save 20 minutes on the trip!  

6 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Ha. My wife wants to move out of here for weather and cost of living reasons, and into Tampa for family reasons. I've fortunately gotten her to open up to other ideas since (1) SFL weather is not for me, (2) FL lifestyle according to what I see and read is not for me, (3) she'll easily find work due to her profession, I won't due to mine.

Then again, that's the case almost throughout the country for the two of us. Right now I love Texas and NC, and they're slightly better for my profession than FL, but still going to be tough. I'd be interested in whether we'll even move at all tbh.

Regarding your situation: have you looked into parts of CT? It's far, ridiculously expensive, and the people generally suck...but at least property taxes are low!

South Florida has turned into a Third World country. From what I hear Tampa is not much better. The pay scale is extremely low and the cost-of-living keeps getting higher. 

If the guy who wants to add a 40% tax wins avoid Florida completely. 

17 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

South Florida has turned into a Third World country. From what I hear Tampa is not much better. The pay scale is extremely low and the cost-of-living keeps getting higher. 

If Gillum wins avoid Florida completely. 

No politics please Mick.

10 hours ago, section314 said:

Quite a few Jets fans down here in San Antonio.

5 hours ago, New York Mick said:

If the guy who wants to add a 40% tax wins avoid Florida completely. 

Sad to hear Mick. Best of luck to you in your search.

Never ever ever ever move near her family :)

Meanwhile not too far from LI and NJ is the Albany/Capitol district in NY. Great home prices, low taxes ( I think), lots of jobs and good schools. Winters aren't much worse than down by the City.

We are in Northern Westchester County but I can't recommend it due to housing costs and taxes but up here crime rarely heard of, schools are top notch and the area is literally beautiful (been coast to coast, border to border over the years and north of the City, east of the Hudson is unapparelled IMHO). Added bonus of being near NY pro sports, NYC culture and some of the best restaurants in the world is also nice

Best advice is to win that $684MM Mega Millions and get houses here, Italy and Moab, UT (not that I've ever dreamed about that) 

10 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Meanwhile not too far from LI and NJ is the Albany/Capitol district in NY. Great home prices, low taxes ( I think), lots of jobs and good schools. Winters aren't much worse than down by the City.

We are in Northern Westchester County but I can't recommend it due to housing costs and taxes but up here crime rarely heard of, schools are top notch and the area is literally beautiful (been coast to coast, border to border over the years and north of the City, east of the Hudson is unapparelled IMHO). Added bonus of being near NY pro sports, NYC culture and some of the best restaurants in the world is also nice

Best advice is to win that $684MM Mega Millions and get houses here, Italy and Moab, UT (not that I've ever dreamed about that) 

You know anything about West Mford? It’s 30 miles from Bergen County and housing is pretty good considering. 

Albany is too far away. 

If I win that you’re gonna see me streaking across the field naked with a banner that says I’m rich bitch. 

16 hours ago, New York Mick said:

My family is in LI and her’s is in Bergen County so she wants to be in that area. 

I love your patience in this thread, I am proud of you lol. Everyone keeps telling you other states and you are like um she wants NJ.

Plenty of nice towns in NJ that are affordable. If you start looking I would be happy to give feedback on any if you want. I am partial to Monmouth County but that puts you an hour from Bergen County. It also puts you much closer to the Ocean which is a good thing.

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I love your patience in this thread, I am proud of you lol. Everyone keeps telling you other states and you are like um she wants NJ.

Plenty of nice towns in NJ that are affordable. If you start looking I would be happy to give feedback on any if you want. I am partial to Monmouth County but that puts you an hour from Bergen County. It also puts you much closer to the Ocean which is a good thing.

I was looking at houses in West Milford. They’re reasonably priced and it’s around 30 miles from Bergen County. Do you know anything about that area? I’ll check out Monmouth county. 

11 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Whereabouts in northern westchester? I agree, the area is absolutely beautiful and there's lots of land. Close to NYC+sports. Taxes are deadly though - so I hear.

Archived