The Wife Wants To Move To NJ

New York Mick

20 hours ago, slats said:

Where are you looking in Panama? It's on my short list with Ecuador and Mexico. I'm out of here in 1-3 years. Done with the cold and the cost of living. Taking my NY money where it will stretch for miles in the sunshine. 

Nowhere in particular......hey check out Nicaragua as well. Ecuador is also a possibility. I'm not looking to jet that soon but I have a great rental condo here in tampa, a nice stone island house in Croatia and looking to score a cheap south american property so when I retire I can summer in Croatia and split the rest in Tampa and central america

the benefit of costa rica is cheap air fare and short ride

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/15/2018 at 9:33 AM, New York Mick said:

She’s wants to get away from the high crime and sh*tty schools in S Florida and be with in 30 minutes to an hour from Bergen County. What area should I look at? Basic things I’m looking into is work (residential electrical), good schools, and low crime. 

Based on some of your concerns, I'd say Avenell, Woodbridge, Old Bridge, even down to Marlboro, Manalapan, Freehold would be worth considering.

A little further from your wife's (WTF, btw??!?!?!) family, but still an easy day trip, and decent enough schools for your kid (?!?!?!?!)

If money/taxes are a concern, you need to stay away from anything much further North, unless you want to go far West as well.

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Based on some of your concerns, I'd say Avenell, Woodbridge, Old Bridge, even down to Marlboro, Manalapan, Freehold would be worth considering.

A little further from your wife's (WTF, btw??!?!?!) family, but still an easy day trip, and decent enough schools for your kid (?!?!?!?!)

If money/taxes are a concern, you need to stay away from anything much further North, unless you want to go far West as well.

Her mom is a great cook and her dad like s to drink and go to Jets games lol

On 10/18/2018 at 12:21 PM, JiF said:

Just read a statistic, of the people moving in our out of New Jersey, 68% are moving out.  3 main reasons?  Cost of living, weather and career opportunities. 

People are probably questioning that last one and I dont think it's a crisis or anything to truly worry about yet, but companies are moving south.  The need for your business to have Head Quarters or a large presence in the NE, doesnt really exist anymore as the world of work changes and increase in ability to do everything virtual.  Companies rather invest in cheaper property and talent further south on the East Coast, especially, Florida.  The other factor is, millenials dont really care about making a ton of money.  They rather live happy, have fun in the moment and live a fulfilling life.  Studies are showing that it is much easier to accomplish that as an employee in the South vs. North?  Why?  Better weather, cheaper cost of living, nicer people, less congestion, increase in wages....the number 1 reason?  Better quality of life.

I just moved my girlfriend from Jersey to Florida, all of that applies plus a lot more.

But at the end of the day, different strokes for different folks.  Whatever floats your boat.  People like what they like.  My family on LI, will never leave.  Ever.  Why?  They honestly dont have a logical reason other than, this is where we grew up! 

Millenials don't care about money?  Or rising cost of living, cost of education, and home prices, without anything resembling an equitable rise is wages makes "money" almost impossible to come by for those without exceptional credentials, and so they just make realistic decisions and try to make rent.

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Millenials don't care about money?  Or rising cost of living, cost of education, and home prices, without anything resembling an equitable rise is wages makes "money" almost impossible to come by for those without exceptional credentials, and so they just make realistic decisions and try to make rent.

Dont care about money as in; it's not their #1 driver when looking for a career/job. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dont care about money as in; it's not their #1 driver when looking for a career/job. 

Other generations it was?  I guess I'm not sure I see it that way.

Everyone would work in finance (and maybe law) if money was the #1 driver when looking for a career/job.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:34 PM, #27TheDominator said:

I've noticed this too.  However, I don't share your idealism of the reasons.  It seems to me they do care about spending money.  They just spend their parents money and live at home for damn near ever.  It's a crisis of epic proportions on the borough of Staten Island.

Sorry, forgot to respond to this before.  See my above response: 

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

And more to your point, yes, those factor definitely factor into the attitude toward it not being a #1 driver but I believe it's a factor within many.  There are high paying jobs and industries out there for this generation. 

On 10/18/2018 at 11:42 AM, New York Mick said:

That’s the problem with South Florida. There’s nice areas if you can afford to live there but you go one block over or out somewhere and it’s ghetto as ****. Boca is about the only place that’s mostly nice but it’s expensive. 

Currently in Tampa. Moved a few years ago out of NY. City is changing for the better. It's going slow but the Lightning owner (Vinik) is doing a ton of work in the downtown/channelside area. But yeah if Florida flips in Nov who knows what happens with those projects (as apolitical as I can be here). But things right now are good in Tampa. It's never going to be a major walkable downtown but if you can deal with the heat its pretty nice and there's enough to do. People complain about the traffic, but coming from NY floridians have no idea what bad traffic looks like.  If you can afford the northeast obviously the schools and food are a lot better. The wifes family will never leave and are still perplexed why we did.

33 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Everyone would work in finance (and maybe law) if money was the #1 driver when looking for a career/job.

If we're not taking ability (mental and financial) to complete the requisite coursework, doctors make considerably more over the course of a lifetime than either of those professions.

A lot of people do finance because they couldn't get into other professions.

16 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

If we're not taking ability (mental and financial) to complete the requisite coursework, doctors make considerably more over the course of a lifetime than either of those professions.

A lot of people do finance because they couldn't get into other professions.

I don’t think that’s the case any longer.  Some specialties, perhaps.  But medicine isn’t what it used to be.  Insurance (both on the reimbursement side and malpractice) have made it far less attractive a career for millennials, financially.

41 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don’t think that’s the case any longer.  Some specialties, perhaps.  But medicine isn’t what it used to be.  Insurance (both on the reimbursement side and malpractice) have made it far less attractive a career for millennials, financially.

Got that correct.  I.t. and cyber security.

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Got that correct.  I.t. and cyber security.

Bang for your buck, I’d advise any young person to learn to code.  You may not be a millionaire, but you can make a quarter million easy and will never lack for work.  A buddy of mine gets multiple offers a year without even applying for jobs.

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Bang for your buck, I’d advise any young person to learn to code.  You may not be a millionaire, but you can make a quarter million easy and will never lack for work.  A buddy of mine gets multiple offers a year without even applying for jobs.

Both of the boys have gone in that direction. People ask me if they are following in my footsteps? 'Im like,"Hell no." Not in this day in age. Plus living in the DC area those jobs are every everywhere. So they can live home for awhile in could some bank put away.

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

People use to move out of there house at 17/18 years old. I moved from NY to Florida when I was 16. Now kids seem to be staying at home till they’re 30. 

32 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I agree it's certainly not what it used to be. My wife is only three years out of residency, but even when she was in med school the offers were significantly better than they are now. Add the cost of student debt over a longer term than most other professions, and sure, I can see the financial impact.

Either way, with the ups and downs in finance, over the long term doctors should still come out significantly ahead.

Regarding the initial point about money's role in driving millennial's lifestyle/career choices: a lot has to do with where one grows up, what opportunities one is afforded, and which stage of life one is in. There are examples on both sides for each of the three constraints, but by and large I agree with JiF that money as the critical driver of life decisions is not what it was in say, my parent's generation.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Currently in Tampa. Moved a few years ago out of NY. City is changing for the better. It's going slow but the Lightning owner (Vinik) is doing a ton of work in the downtown/channelside area. But yeah if Florida flips in Nov who knows what happens with those projects (as apolitical as I can be here). But things right now are good in Tampa. It's never going to be a major walkable downtown but if you can deal with the heat its pretty nice and there's enough to do. People complain about the traffic, but coming from NY floridians have no idea what bad traffic looks like.  If you can afford the northeast obviously the schools and food are a lot better. The wifes family will never leave and are still perplexed why we did.

I only played rugby and wrestled in Tampa so I don’t have a lot of knowledge of that area but from what I seen it was the same as S Florida. Areas that are nice are expensive but right down the street from the ghetto. 

What kind of lighting? We do a lot of computer controlled RGB LED  and LED changeover. 

21 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

My wife’s OB/gyn told us she pays 140/year in malpractice.

She doesn’t take insurance to compensate for that.

That's nuts. Why is she paying that out of pocket? Is it her own practice? My wife's insurance is paid for through her administrator as a benefit.

Although, in certain areas, not taking insurance and acting as "concierge" is actually far more lucrative than working at a private clinic.

30 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

People use to move out of there house at 17/18 years old. I moved from NY to Florida when I was 16. Now kids seem to be staying at home till they’re 30.  

Agreed.  But my parents first home was around 120K in north jersey.  I'll be lucky to find something for 1.2M.  I'm doing just fine financially, but my wife and I don't make 10 times what my parents were making.

All this to say, I'm not sure it's a choice as much as some would like to believe.

28 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

That's nuts. Why is she paying that out of pocket? Is it her own practice? My wife's insurance is paid for through her administrator as a benefit. 

Although, in certain areas, not taking insurance and acting as "concierge" is actually far more lucrative than working at a private clinic. 

Yes, it's her own practice.  Yes, it's concierge and on the UES.  We found her after a negative experience w/ another OB, found out my wife was pregnant, and stayed because this doctor was very good to us.  Fortunately, my wife has great out-of-network benefits so the final cost, after reimbursement, was manageable.

30 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I only played rugby and wrestled in Tampa so I don’t have a lot of knowledge of that area but from what I seen it was the same as S Florida. Areas that are nice are expensive but right down the street from the ghetto. 

What kind of lighting? We do a lot of computer controlled RGB LED  and LED changeover. 

lol. he's talking about the hockey team.  Tampa Bay Lightning.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Hockey team- Tampa Lightning. The owner has invested a ton into  the area. And bad neighborhoods bordering nice ones is true in just about every city. Yonkers and Mt Vernon border some of the wealthiest suburbs in the country.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018 at 9:46 AM, jetstream23 said:

"Go West young man!"

Seriously.  I moved to Arizona 17 years ago.  With the money I save on taxes, housing, tolls, etc. I fly my family of 4 back to NY/NJ at least 3 times per year.  The best part about it?  After a week having fun in the City and visiting family in NJ....we get to leave!!!! :D

I watch the Jets on my outdoor TV in December with a view of the desert in the background.  The game is over by early afternoon with enough time to go swing the sticks for 9 holes.

Summers are brutal....but you don't have to shovel sunshine and I hated winters in the northeast.  It's hotter than Hades from June through September but that's what allows you to get a house that would be $1M on the Jersey Shore or in California for half that amount here.

Keep an open mind but most importantly remember the adage, "Happy wife, happy life!" 

IMG_3630.jpg

That looks really nice right now.  I just shoveled two days in a row.

Haven't golfed in a month.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:21 PM, JiF said:

Just read a statistic, of the people moving in our out of New Jersey, 68% are moving out.  3 main reasons?  Cost of living, weather and career opportunities. 

People are probably questioning that last one and I dont think it's a crisis or anything to truly worry about yet, but companies are moving south.  The need for your business to have Head Quarters or a large presence in the NE, doesnt really exist anymore as the world of work changes and increase in ability to do everything virtual.  Companies rather invest in cheaper property and talent further south on the East Coast, especially, Florida.  The other factor is, millenials dont really care about making a ton of money.  They rather live happy, have fun in the moment and live a fulfilling life.  Studies are showing that it is much easier to accomplish that as an employee in the South vs. North?  Why?  Better weather, cheaper cost of living, nicer people, less congestion, increase in wages....the number 1 reason?  Better quality of life.

I just moved my girlfriend from Jersey to Florida, all of that applies plus a lot more.

But at the end of the day, different strokes for different folks.  Whatever floats your boat.  People like what they like.  My family on LI, will never leave.  Ever.  Why?  They honestly dont have a logical reason other than, this is where we grew up! 

The addage of you make less money in the south is also false now...   as a CPA I have tons of clients earning well in the 6 figures and I still do a ton of NY/NYC tax returns and they make on average, the same as here in the south. Bankers, Lawyers etc. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

The addage of you make less money in the south is also false now...   as a CPA I have tons of clients earning well in the 6 figures and I still do a ton of NY/NYC tax returns and they make on average, the same as here in the south. Bankers, Lawyers etc. 

I'd make a lot less in any right-to-work state than I do in my NY union working the same job. 

5 hours ago, slats said:

I'd make a lot less in any right-to-work state than I do in my NY union working the same job. 

I have 2 plumbers as clients... both own their own business. One makes about 200K on sales of 400K with ONE employee. The other makes about 75K on sales of 400K with 4 employees.  The difference is how they run their business. The need for skilled tradesmen here in NC is out of control.  Agreed, rank and file employees won't make as much but for those who want to run a shop...  there are more customers than you could imagine if you are an electrician, plumber etc.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I have 2 plumbers as clients... both own their own business. One makes about 200K on sales of 400K with ONE employee. The other makes about 75K on sales of 400K with 4 employees.  The difference is how they run their business. The need for skilled tradesmen here in NC is out of control.  Agreed, rank and file employees won't make as much but for those who want to run a shop...  there are more customers than you could imagine if you are an electrician, plumber etc.

Bingo!  And many millennials can't seem to figure out or fix a lot of stuff.  We could cripple this entire generation if we just went back to manual transmission cars and rotary dialed phones.

Archived