The Wife Wants To Move To NJ

New York Mick

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I was going to say divorce her, but NJ is a big upgrade over Florida

Much better schools, higher paying jobs, better food, better sports fans, better neighborhoods, better weather, etc. outside of the taxes and gun laws (for me anyway) NJ is a much better choice.  

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/21/2018 at 6:13 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

My wife is also a doctor and I’m in finance - both were fortunate to go to school and graduate debt free. Most of our friends are either doctors or director/c-suite level at various banks and funds.

Your statement that not all fields pay well is true, but my post was to refute EY’s statement claiming that finance is where the money is. 

Of course there are exceptions to my refute. If we’re talking about certain types of doctors who receive considerably less than a director at a fund would over a 10 year span, then sure. Or if we’re talking about the rare fund manager who hit on a monster bet and then walked away, maybe. But those guys generally don’t exist. And simply going by headcount, there are more doctors with higher pay than there are fund managers - period. Also, most doctors enjoy 25-30+ years of their high pay scale, whereas fund managers experience huge swings in pay determined by various factors. GPs sometimes don’t even get paid or have to return portions of their salary if the market turns on them or if they make bad bets in a given year. That offsets the big paycheck they might have received the year before. Doctors don’t deal with that stuff. Their salary is generally safe from clawbacks unless they’re being sued for malpractice, for which there is insurance.

When considering all of this over the long term (meaning from your first post-grad paycheck till retirement), I stick to my statement that doctors are still going to receive an aggregate pay check larger than most jobs - and definitely more so than finance. And that’s the message we’ll be passing along to our firstborn from the moment he/she arrives in early/mid 2019! :D

what type of doctor is your wife and what type of finance are you in?

Another Monmouth County person here. Taxes are high and cost of living high but compensation is good , schools are really good and crime relatively low. Nice residential areas for families. Good entertainment options and restaurants/bars

16 hours ago, faba said:

Another Monmouth County person here. Taxes are high and cost of living high but compensation is good , schools are really good and crime relatively low. Nice residential areas for families. Good entertainment options and restaurants/bars

Monmouth County is expensive and some areas have really high crime rate but convenience to beach, eateries and attractions are best. 

• 2 weeks later...

LIVING

More people moved out of this state than any other in America

January 2, 2019 | 3:18pm

Modal Trigger
Couple moving out of home
Shutterstock

New Jersey residents are on the outs with their state.

More people moved out of the Garden State in 2018 than any other state, according to a new study by United Van Lines – though New York wasn’t far behind.

New Jersey, which topped the list of the “most moved from” states, was followed by Illinois, Connecticut and the Empire State, the moving company’s study found.

The St. Louis-based company on Wednesday released its 42nd annual National Movers Study, which tracks customers’ state-to-state migration patterns.

“The Northeast region continues to see more residents leaving than moving in, with 57 percent of all moves within the Northeast US being outbound moves,” the company said.

The study found that 66.8 percent of New Jersey moves were “outbound.” The percentages were 65.9 in Illinois, 62 in Connecticut, 61.5 in New York and 58.7 in Kansas, according to the study.

Ohio, Massachusetts, Iowa, Montana and Michigan rounded out the list of the “most moved from” states.

Vermont – whose population is the second-smallest in the nation — was the only Northeast state that made the “most moved to” list, topping the list with 72.6 percent of its movers making inbound migrations.

Four Western states filled out the top 5 “moved to” list — Oregon, Idaho, Nevada and Arizona.

The Carolinas, Washington, South Dakota and the District of Columbia almost made the top inbound list.

“The data collected by United Van Lines aligns with longer-term migration patterns to southern and western states, trends driven by factors like job growth, lower costs of living, state budgetary challenges and more temperate climates,” said Michael Stoll, economist and professor in the Department of Public Policy at UCLA

“Unlike a few decades ago, retirees are leaving California, instead choosing other states in the Pacific West and Mountain West. We’re also seeing young professionals migrating to vibrant, metropolitan economies, like Washington, DC, and Seattle.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 4:13 PM, joewilly12 said:

LIVING

More people moved out of this state than any other in America

January 2, 2019 | 3:18pm

Modal Trigger
Couple moving out of home
Shutterstock

New Jersey residents are on the outs with their state.

More people moved out of the Garden State in 2018 than any other state, according to a new study by United Van Lines – though New York wasn’t far behind.

New Jersey, which topped the list of the “most moved from” states, was followed by Illinois, Connecticut and the Empire State, the moving company’s study found.

The St. Louis-based company on Wednesday released its 42nd annual National Movers Study, which tracks customers’ state-to-state migration patterns.

“The Northeast region continues to see more residents leaving than moving in, with 57 percent of all moves within the Northeast US being outbound moves,” the company said.

The study found that 66.8 percent of New Jersey moves were “outbound.” The percentages were 65.9 in Illinois, 62 in Connecticut, 61.5 in New York and 58.7 in Kansas, according to the study.

Ohio, Massachusetts, Iowa, Montana and Michigan rounded out the list of the “most moved from” states.

Vermont – whose population is the second-smallest in the nation — was the only Northeast state that made the “most moved to” list, topping the list with 72.6 percent of its movers making inbound migrations.

Four Western states filled out the top 5 “moved to” list — Oregon, Idaho, Nevada and Arizona.

The Carolinas, Washington, South Dakota and the District of Columbia almost made the top inbound list.

“The data collected by United Van Lines aligns with longer-term migration patterns to southern and western states, trends driven by factors like job growth, lower costs of living, state budgetary challenges and more temperate climates,” said Michael Stoll, economist and professor in the Department of Public Policy at UCLA

“Unlike a few decades ago, retirees are leaving California, instead choosing other states in the Pacific West and Mountain West. We’re also seeing young professionals migrating to vibrant, metropolitan economies, like Washington, DC, and Seattle.”

Were looking in PA near the metro area but there isn’t sh*t there. It’s the boondocks. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2018 at 9:27 PM, Maxman said:

Great, another JetNation mod taking advantage of the pension system and retiring earlier. You should see @TaborJet's house. And @BP has a $90,000 pick up truck. We are going to have to change the benefit policy around here.  :)

Yes, and don’t forget guys (current moderators) @Maxman goes all out at reunions! Right @TaborJet? I mean those Dunkin’ Donuts were delicious lol  see you guys at a game this year. Hi, now bye ? 

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been in Bergen County (Wallington) for a few days looking around. The rent is similar to Fort Lauderdale (a little higher) and outside of the traffic it’s nice. I love the weather and food.

Driving here is definitely a lot harder then Florida. I forgot what it was like. No street lights, dark signs, hills, turns, one street that breaks into 3 or 4 different streets, a ton of main roads etc. South Florida is simple flat, well lit and basically a grid with one main highway going north and south. 

Archived