The Wife Wants To Move To NJ

New York Mick

19 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I was looking at houses in West Milford. They’re reasonably priced and it’s around 30 miles from Bergen County. Do you know anything about that area? I’ll check out Monmouth county. 

Is being close to the city a thing for yall? I don't know anything about it, but my cousin and her husband just bought a place in Weehawken and they love it. They're also in their early 30s so maybe it's different for you.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Good call

Just a follow up.....I grew up in Monmouth County, and still have a home there. It's in Elberon, which is part of Long Branch, which has a HS. We are right on the beach. Property taxes are @25,000/per. My buddy has a beautiful home in Spring Lake, which is one of the most beautiful towns in NJ. His house is 4x the size of mine. Spring lake has no HS, they go to Manasquan High. His taxes are @28,000. If you saw the sizes of our two homes, you would laugh( or in my case, cry.)

13 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Is being close to the city a thing for yall? I don't know anything about it, but my cousin and her husband just bought a place in Weehawken and they love it. They're also in their early 30s so maybe it's different for you.

Being close to her family and work. 

11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Being close to her family and work. 

It probably isn't going to matter to you, but the further south you go, the longer it is going to take to get to your family on Long Island.  The Belt has become a disaster and there is almost constant traffic add the Jersey Shore traffic in the summer and it can take as long for me to get to Southampton from Staten Island as it takes me to get from DC to SI.  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

It probably isn't going to matter to you, but the further south you go, the longer it is going to take to get to your family on Long Island.  The Belt has become a disaster and there is almost constant traffic add the Jersey Shore traffic in the summer and it can take as long for me to get to Southampton from Staten Island as it takes me to get from DC to SI.  

I’m not worried about my family. I don’t even like them. She wants to be close to hers. 

I know the property taxes is ridiculous but what about state income tax. At the moment Florida doesn’t have any. 

13 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Whereabouts in northern westchester? I agree, the area is absolutely beautiful and there's lots of land. Close to NYC+sports. Taxes are deadly though - so I hear.

Crotonville up in the hills just east of the river, between Croton-on-Hudson and Ossining. We absolutely love it here, Not native but chose this place carefully after checking out many areas. This is man encroaching nature rather than nature encroaching on man. 

Sorry to tell NY Mick, but with a few exceptions, NJ is crowded, dull and uninteresting. Just my humble opinion , don't mean to offend locals.

18 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I’m not worried about my family. I don’t even like them. She wants to be close to hers. 

I know the property taxes is ridiculous but what about state income tax. At the moment Florida doesn’t have any. 

Image result for new jersey state income tax

7 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Crotonville up in the hills just east of the river, between Croton-on-Hudson and Ossining. We absolutely love it here, Not native but chose this place carefully after checking out many areas. This is man encroaching nature rather than nature encroaching on man. 

Sorry to tell NY Mick, but with a few exceptions, NJ is crowded, dull and uninteresting. Just my humble opinion , don't mean to offend locals.

Awesome. Yes, that area is gorgeous. A former colleague lives in Ossining and does the commute to midtown daily, but it sounds much worse than it is. Truth be told, it’s only around 15 mins longer than mine. 

My wife and I toyed with that area right after we got married, but decided to stay put in Greenwich while we figure out our professional and family goals. A year and half later, nothing’s changed.

"Go West young man!"

Seriously.  I moved to Arizona 17 years ago.  With the money I save on taxes, housing, tolls, etc. I fly my family of 4 back to NY/NJ at least 3 times per year.  The best part about it?  After a week having fun in the City and visiting family in NJ....we get to leave!!!! :D

I watch the Jets on my outdoor TV in December with a view of the desert in the background.  The game is over by early afternoon with enough time to go swing the sticks for 9 holes.

Summers are brutal....but you don't have to shovel sunshine and I hated winters in the northeast.  It's hotter than Hades from June through September but that's what allows you to get a house that would be $1M on the Jersey Shore or in California for half that amount here.

Keep an open mind but most importantly remember the adage, "Happy wife, happy life!" 

IMG_3630.jpg

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Thanks. It’s crazy how much NY and NJ pay. You’d have to make some money off books to be comfortable. 

How long have you guys been out of the area? Winter sucks here (I'm on LI). 

Might be wise to rent thru a winter before buying something, just to make sure it's a move you both really think is worth it. You'll make a lot more money here, true, but your expenses will also be much higher. The key to living here is to save as much of the money you make here, then move back to somewhere warm. :) 

If you have electrical skills, you should look for union work. Better pay, with health care and retirement benefits. 

37 minutes ago, slats said:

How long have you guys been out of the area? Winter sucks here (I'm on LI). 

Might be wise to rent thru a winter before buying something, just to make sure it's a move you both really think is worth it. You'll make a lot more money here, true, but your expenses will also be much higher. The key to living here is to save as much of the money you make here, then move back to somewhere warm. :) 

If you have electrical skills, you should look for union work. Better pay, with health care and retirement benefits. 

I moved 30 years ago, she moved 4 years ago but I lived in Seattle for year, Baltimore for a year (freaking sh*thole) and worked in LI and NJ in the winter plus hunt in Michigan. I like the cold better then the heat. Florida weather sucks and hell no to moving to Arizona. 

Unfortunately I do residential electric (and stripclubs) and most union is commercial or industrial. If I started with them I’d be an apprentice for 5 years, too old for that. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

"Go West young man!"

Seriously.  I moved to Arizona 17 years ago.  With the money I save on taxes, housing, tolls, etc. I fly my family of 4 back to NY/NJ at least 3 times per year.  The best part about it?  After a week having fun in the City and visiting family in NJ....we get to leave!!!! :D

I watch the Jets on my outdoor TV in December with a view of the desert in the background.  The game is over by early afternoon with enough time to go swing the sticks for 9 holes.

Summers are brutal....but you don't have to shovel sunshine and I hated winters in the northeast.  It's hotter than Hades from June through September but that's what allows you to get a house that would be $1M on the Jersey Shore or in California for half that amount here.

Keep an open mind but most importantly remember the adage, "Happy wife, happy life!" 

IMG_3630.jpg

Oooo door bath tub. Fancy.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

"Go West young man!"

IMG_3630.jpg

aaand this is why wifey and I want to move out of the NE.

34 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

aaand this is why wifey and I want to move out of the NE.

We literally shoveled my wife’s car out of snow on a February day in 2000 to drive to the airport and fly to Arizona for a 2nd job interview. With the time difference we landed at 12pm, went to lunch with some people from the company and then played golf. It was crazy. She and I stood on the course and were like, “weren’t we shoveling a car out of snow 10 hours ago?”

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

"Go West young man!"

IMG_3630.jpg

I went to Sedona and Phoenix in March, loved it there. (Especially Sedona)  Would love to get the hell out of NJ and move there. 

The last night in Phoenix we went to a highly rated pizza restaurant somewhere over by the thing below (which had a surprising amount of rif raf under it) and in walked Larry Fitzgerald 

her_secret_is_patience_janet_echelman_do

On 10/15/2018 at 5:24 PM, New York Mick said:

South Florida has turned into a Third World country. From what I hear Tampa is not much better. The pay scale is extremely low and the cost-of-living keeps getting higher. 

If the guy who wants to add a 40% tax wins avoid Florida completely. 

Most of tampa is a sh*thole but there are very nice pockets. Houses are reasonable and taxes are too. The good part is there is a lot of great places to go. And i LOVE the heat. I cant do wi ter and 6 months of dead trees

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

Most of tampa is a sh*thole but there are very nice pockets. Houses are reasonable and taxes are too. The good part is there is a lot of great places to go. And i LOVE the heat. I cant do wi ter and 6 months of dead trees

That’s the problem with South Florida. There’s nice areas if you can afford to live there but you go one block over or out somewhere and it’s ghetto as ****. Boca is about the only place that’s mostly nice but it’s expensive. 

23 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Snow, cold and dead grass trees and bushes for 6 months depresses the sh*t out of me. 

Im looking to buy a lil things in costa rica or panama

Where are you looking in Panama? It's on my short list with Ecuador and Mexico. I'm out of here in 1-3 years. Done with the cold and the cost of living. Taking my NY money where it will stretch for miles in the sunshine. 

Just read a statistic, of the people moving in our out of New Jersey, 68% are moving out.  3 main reasons?  Cost of living, weather and career opportunities. 

People are probably questioning that last one and I dont think it's a crisis or anything to truly worry about yet, but companies are moving south.  The need for your business to have Head Quarters or a large presence in the NE, doesnt really exist anymore as the world of work changes and increase in ability to do everything virtual.  Companies rather invest in cheaper property and talent further south on the East Coast, especially, Florida.  The other factor is, millenials dont really care about making a ton of money.  They rather live happy, have fun in the moment and live a fulfilling life.  Studies are showing that it is much easier to accomplish that as an employee in the South vs. North?  Why?  Better weather, cheaper cost of living, nicer people, less congestion, increase in wages....the number 1 reason?  Better quality of life.

I just moved my girlfriend from Jersey to Florida, all of that applies plus a lot more.

But at the end of the day, different strokes for different folks.  Whatever floats your boat.  People like what they like.  My family on LI, will never leave.  Ever.  Why?  They honestly dont have a logical reason other than, this is where we grew up! 

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Where are you looking in Panama? It's on my short list with Ecuador and Mexico. I'm out of here in 1-3 years. Done with the cold and the cost of living. Taking my NY money where it will stretch for miles in the sunshine. 

That's my plan too, however, I'm leaning toward El Salvador.  All the truly desirable places in the countries you've listed, arent as cheap as you think.

Costa Rica?  Not a chance.  Expensive and it's just an awful place nowadays.  What has happened to the country is truly a shame.  It's disgusting.  

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

The other factor is, millenials dont really care about making a ton of money.  They rather live happy, have fun in the moment and live a fulfilling life. 

I've noticed this too.  However, I don't share your idealism of the reasons.  It seems to me they do care about spending money.  They just spend their parents money and live at home for damn near ever.  It's a crisis of epic proportions on the borough of Staten Island.

I'm always struck when people in Florida, or SC, or Indiana for that matter say that they have great schools. If they live in perhaps a handful of neighborhoods in the entire state they may be right, but as a general matter the relative quality of secondary education in the vast majority of states in the U.S. is pitiful. I'm not a teacher or in education so this is not a diatribe from someone vested in the system. Quality of education from one state to another is now almost impossible to compare and states with slashed budgets for education game the data by dumbing down state testing standards. All you have to do is pick a subject test for a given grade and go on the internet and look at what each state expects. What passes for grade-level in one state will be three levels down from what the next state requires. Makes the state look better from a political perspective, but is frankly a sham. You get what you pay for (or what the wealthy in a high cost suburb contribute to make up the difference). Tread with care.

28 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I'm always struck when people in Florida, or SC, or Indiana for that matter say that they have great schools. If they live in perhaps a handful of neighborhoods in the entire state they may be right, but as a general matter the relative quality of secondary education in the vast majority of states in the U.S. is pitiful. I'm not a teacher or in education so this is not a diatribe from someone vested in the system. Quality of education from one state to another is now almost impossible to compare and states with slashed budgets for education game the data by dumbing down state testing standards. All you have to do is pick a subject test for a given grade and go on the internet and look at what each state expects. What passes for grade-level in one state will be three levels down from what the next state requires. Makes the state look better from a political perspective, but is frankly a sham. You get what you pay for (or what the wealthy in a high cost suburb contribute to make up the difference). Tread with care.

NJ is very high on the list of best schools. I think it’s was first or second the last time I looked. Florida was in the 30’s, a lot of the schools are extremely ghetto and English might be the second or third language. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

That's my plan too, however, I'm leaning toward El Salvador.  All the truly desirable places in the countries you've listed, arent as cheap as you think.

Costa Rica?  Not a chance.  Expensive and it's just an awful place nowadays.  What has happened to the country is truly a shame.  It's disgusting.  

Agree on Costa Rica, I crossed it off before I ever visited. 

I've traveled a lot in Mexico and have a good idea of the costs. I don't need super-cheap, as my girlfriend and I both have decent savings and pensions, but everything down there is going to be significantly less expensive than LI/NYC as long as I stay off the expensive islands. Gonna be staying on Isla Mujeres for the first time in less than two weeks. Bringing the kids and their significant others. Should be a fun fact-finding tour. 

Not surprised about Nicaragua for a surfer. The issue there when buying property is title claims from before the revolution.  

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I've noticed this too.  However, I don't share your idealism of the reasons.  It seems to me they do care about spending money.  They just spend their parents money and live at home for damn near ever.  It's a crisis of epic proportions on the borough of Staten Island.

My son lives with me. He's 23 right now. That's the three year limit on moving. At that point, he'll be 26 and rather than kicking him out of the nest, the nest will simply be abandoned. He can either come down with me and busk in the streets there, or find another place to live here. 

36 minutes ago, slats said:

Agree on Costa Rica, I crossed it off before I ever visited. 

I've traveled a lot in Mexico and have a good idea of the costs. I don't need super-cheap, as my girlfriend and I both have decent savings and pensions, but everything down there is going to be significantly less expensive than LI/NYC as long as I stay off the expensive islands. Gonna be staying on Isla Mujeres for the first time in less than two weeks. Bringing the kids and their significant others. Should be a fun fact-finding tour. 

Not surprised about Nicaragua for a surfer. The issue there when buying property is title claims from before the revolution.  

My son lives with me. He's 23 right now. That's the three year limit on moving. At that point, he'll be 26 and rather than kicking him out of the nest, the nest will simply be abandoned. He can either come down with me and busk in the streets there, or find another place to live here. 

Mrs. Crusher has this buy an RV, "drive the country and visit National parks thing when we are retired." Honestly I'm not really sure how I feel about it. Luckily I'm going to work another 15 years but as it gets closer I hope she changes her mind about it. haha

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Mrs. Crusher has this buy an RV, "drive the country and visit National parks thing when we are retired." Honestly I'm not really sure how I feel about it. Luckily I'm going to work another 15 years but as it gets closer I hope she changes her mind about it. haha

Do you get any vacation? The only way to test that idea out is to get the RV sooner rather than later and do trips in it and see what you think. My brother had a couple RVs over maybe a decade and enjoyed it, mostly just camping on beaches nearby, but they got over it and sold. Now he wants to retire in Tennessee. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Do you get any vacation? The only way to test that idea out is to get the RV sooner rather than later and do trips in it and see what you think. My brother had a couple RVs over maybe a decade and enjoyed it, mostly just camping on beaches nearby, but they got over it and sold. Now he wants to retire in Tennessee. 

I'm self employed and own my own business so I only take two weeks off  a year and a few long weekends off. We got places in Myrtle Beach and Sandbridge (VA Beach) and we spend a week in each. Never really got too experimental with the locations because Id hate to waste one of my two weeks off a year by going to a place I don;t like.

But, I would imagine your suggestion would be exactly what we would do before we ever purchased something. I'm in the process of bringing in more practitioners so eventually my income won;t rely as much on me working as it does now. I will probably double one of those weeks up and do exactly what you suggested. But I'm 15 years away from retiring and right now and m,y current focus is my next meal.

Archived