The Wife Wants To Move To NJ

New York Mick

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Bingo!  And many millennials can't seem to figure out or fix a lot of stuff.  We could cripple this entire generation if we just went back to manual transmission cars and rotary dialed phones.

The one "wealthier" plumber was telling me, at a convention, the number one issue discussed by all is they can't seem to attract young kids anymore.  My "wealthy plumber" is 62, good shape. 2nd career for him. Started at age 40.  He can't find a young kid to take over the business.  So he is  simply slowing down and will make about 100K working 3 days a week as no young kid wants to work the 50 hour week and make 200K and get dirty.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

The one "wealthier" plumber was telling me, at a convention, the number one issue discussed by all is they can't seem to attract young kids anymore.  My "wealthy plumber" is 62, good shape. 2nd career for him. Started at age 40.  He can't find a young kid to take over the business.  So he is  simply slowing down and will make about 100K working 3 days a week as no young kid wants to work the 50 hour week and make 200K and get dirty.

Crazy.  Those kids may be singing a different tune in 12-24 months depending on what happens with this economy.

Seriously, this entire generation is losing both the desire and the ability to do things.  They can't even cook for themselves and either go out to eat or order Door Dash / Uber Eats deliveries.

Had a conversation earlier today about moving to a new place with a middle aged person. He is doing well now but is worried for the future, Said that he and his wife are seriously considering Shanghai to be established there and get ahead of the curve there before the "big rush" where displaced Americans will be the maids and gardeners of China. Felt strongly about it too. 

Not that I agreed with him (yet) but man, this would take some huge yarbles to make a move like that. Well if nothing else, you  could at least get some great soup dumplings in Old Town. I really hope that he is way off base with this, at least for the rest of my lifetime. 

Suddenly, NJ/GA/Orlando doesn't seem as risky or scary a move as when I first read this thread.

Yeesh. See 'ya on The Bund fella

7 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Had a conversation earlier today about moving to a new place with a middle aged person. He is doing well now but is worried for the future, Said that he and his wife are seriously considering Shanghai to be established there and get ahead of the curve there before the "big rush" where displaced Americans will be the maids and gardeners of China. Felt strongly about it too. 

Not that I agreed with him (yet) but man, this would take some huge yarbles to make a move like that. Well if nothing else, you  could at least get some great soup dumplings in Old Town. I really hope that he is way off base with this, at least for the rest of my lifetime. 

Suddenly, NJ/GA/Orlando doesn't seem as risky or scary a move as when I first read this thread.

Yeesh. See 'ya on The Bund fella

I just returned from San Miguel de Allende(SMA), a town in Mexico being "over run" with Americans and Canadians.  Was not what I expected but tons of Americans are retiring outside the USA.  Conde Naste ranked SMA the #1 place to live outside the US.  LOVE The Tarkus avatar!!!  STONES OF YEARS!!!!!  

On 10/18/2018 at 1:15 PM, New York Mick said:

NJ is very high on the list of best schools. I think it’s was first or second the last time I looked. Florida was in the 30’s, a lot of the schools are extremely ghetto and English might be the second or third language. 

Yes. Everyone I've ever met from New Jersey has been an educated,  well read, erudite scholar......

LOL. 

But yeah, Florida has a ton of bad schools, they flipped all the districts a few years ago and put all of the "magnet" schools in literally the worst areas (Suncoast in Riviera Beach, Lincoln Park in Ft. Pierce) and then bussed inner city kids to the suburbs.  Add the influx from Central and South America, Haiti, etc where you have some kids directly entering classrooms without any prior schooling, and of course some areas are a disaster. But this notion of these glorious, magical school systems in the Northeast are laughable. Everyone I knew back in NYC and I went to the Parochial Schools, and I continued when we moved down here. Common Core standardization has done away with the (mythical) "New Yawk kids are two yeahs ahead of Flahrida kids" crap LI moms spew, anyway. 

The trick with education is being involved with your kids and not blindly letting the school system do your job, regardless of where you are. But we moved to Tradition in St Lucie County for a bunch of reasons, bang for your buck, zero crime, golf cart access to.shoppong, bars, and restaurants......and The FAU Educational Research School located here. 

I would also put Martin county schools up against most.

46 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes. Everyone I've ever met from New Jersey has been an educated,  well read, erudite scholar......

LOL. 

But yeah, Florida has a ton of bad schools, they flipped all the districts a few years ago and put all of the "magnet" schools in literally the worst areas (Suncoast in Riviera Beach, Lincoln Park in Ft. Pierce) and then bussed inner city kids to the suburbs.  Add the influx from Central and South America, Haiti, etc where you have some kids directly entering classrooms without any prior schooling, and of course some areas are a disaster. But this notion of these glorious, magical school systems in the Northeast are laughable. Everyone I knew back in NYC and I went to the Parochial Schools, and I continued when we moved down here. Common Core standardization has done away with the (mythical) "New Yawk kids are two yeahs ahead of Flahrida kids" crap LI moms spew, anyway. 

The trick with education is being involved with your kids and not blindly letting the school system do your job, regardless of where you are. But we moved to Tradition in St Lucie County for a bunch of reasons, bang for your buck, zero crime, golf cart access to.shoppong, bars, and restaurants......and The FAU Educational Research School located here. 

My brother lives in Palm Harbor, super smart kids. 2 UF, one FSU. All have studied abroad etc. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I just returned from San Miguel de Allende(SMA), a town in Mexico being "over run" with Americans and Canadians.  Was not what I expected but tons of Americans are retiring outside the USA.  Conde Naste ranked SMA the #1 place to live outside the US.  LOVE The Tarkus avatar!!!  STONES OF YEARS!!!!!  

Wow. Made me look that up. So how was it? Did you feel safe? 

Looked at the R/E prices and was surprised that they were that high.

BTW: Old accounting joke that in Mexico, it is not debits on the left, credits on the right because someone stole all the debits 

If I had to pick a foreign place to live the rest of my life, there is no other choice than Italy for me (sigh)

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

LOL. 

I went to Fort Pierce Central. It’s a sh*t hole and the school is years behind NY. 

7 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Wow. Made me look that up. So how was it? Did you feel safe? 

Looked at the R/E prices and was surprised that they were that high.

BTW: Old accounting joke that in Mexico, it is not debits on the left, credits on the right because someone stole all the debits 

If I had to pick a foreign place to live the rest of my life, there is no other choice than Italy for me (sigh)

Mexico is generally safe...  I had no issues in SMA.  traveling to SMA you go through many small towns where there might be risk.   I can tell you it made me appreciate what I have and my life here in NC.  

16 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I went to Fort Pierce Central. It’s a sh*t hole and the school is years behind NY. 

Yes. Because you went to FT. PIERCE CENTRAL. 

Did your parents hate you? LOL.

I went to Cardinal Newman in the 1980s, when the Jesuits were still in charge. I find most people (from everywhere) to only be barely functionally literate and with no appreciation of literature.... My cousins from LI all sound like idiots to me. LOL. Whatever. 

Ft. Pierce? No wonder you hate Florida....

When were you at Central? My wife went there for a year before Port St Lucie High opened.  She hated it, too. 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes. Because you went to FT. PIERCE CENTRAL. 

Did your parents hate you? LOL.

I went to Cardinal Newman in the 1980s, when the Jesuits were still in charge. I find most people (from everywhere) to only be barely functionally literate and with no appreciation of literature.... My cousins from LI all sound like idiots to me. LOL. Whatever. 

Ft. Pierce? No wonder you hate Florida....

When were you at Central? My wife went there for a year before Port St Lucie High opened.  She hated it, too. 

Graduate in 91. I also went to Atlantic Delray

On 10/23/2018 at 5:20 PM, TeddEY said:

Bang for your buck, I’d advise any young person to learn to code.  You may not be a millionaire, but you can make a quarter million easy and will never lack for work.  A buddy of mine gets multiple offers a year without even applying for jobs.

AI will teach robots how to code. We are doomed.

Everyone should become a doorman. It will be 75 years before people get comfortable having a robot open the door for them.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:07 PM, slats said:

Where are you looking in Panama? It's on my short list with Ecuador and Mexico. I'm out of here in 1-3 years. Done with the cold and the cost of living. Taking my NY money where it will stretch for miles in the sunshine. 

Great, another JetNation mod taking advantage of the pension system and retiring earlier. You should see @TaborJet's house. And @BP has a $90,000 pick up truck. We are going to have to change the benefit policy around here.  :)

On 11/17/2018 at 6:33 AM, southparkcpa said:

The addage of you make less money in the south is also false now...   as a CPA I have tons of clients earning well in the 6 figures and I still do a ton of NY/NYC tax returns and they make on average, the same as here in the south. Bankers, Lawyers etc. 

Jets webmasters make less in Florida than they do in NJ. So I have heard.  

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

Great, another JetNation mod taking advantage of the pension system and retiring earlier. You should see @TaborJet's house. And @BP has a $90,000 pick up truck. We are going to have to change the benefit policy around here.  :)

By not spending money on season tickets, we are living the dream here!

On 11/18/2018 at 7:27 PM, Maxman said:

A $90K pickup truck?  My Land Cruiser wasn't even that much.

Sounds like we need to "redistribute" his wealth. :P 

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

A $90K pickup truck?  My Land Cruiser wasn't even that much.

Sounds like we need to "redistribute" his wealth. :P 

In fairness it might be more of a $9,000 truck, but I don't generally let the truth get in the way of a good post.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 4:03 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

If we're not taking ability (mental and financial) to complete the requisite coursework, doctors make considerably more over the course of a lifetime than either of those professions.

A lot of people do finance because they couldn't get into other professions.

Up until this year my wife who is a doctor made less than I did my third year out of college.  And she did med school and 6 years of training and had been a intensive care doctor for 8 years.  The pay isn’t great in all the fields. 

On 10/18/2018 at 2:56 PM, The Crusher said:

I'm self employed and own my own business so I only take two weeks off  a year and a few long weekends off. We got places in Myrtle Beach and Sandbridge (VA Beach) and we spend a week in each. Never really got too experimental with the locations because Id hate to waste one of my two weeks off a year by going to a place I don;t like.

But, I would imagine your suggestion would be exactly what we would do before we ever purchased something. I'm in the process of bringing in more practitioners so eventually my income won;t rely as much on me working as it does now. I will probably double one of those weeks up and do exactly what you suggested. But I'm 15 years away from retiring and right now and m,y current focus is my next meal.

Crusher man... what kind of business you in?

6 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Up until this year my wife who is a doctor made less than I did my third year out of college.  And she did med school and 6 years of training and had been a intensive care doctor for 8 years.  The pay isn’t great in all the fields. 

My wife is also a doctor and I’m in finance - both were fortunate to go to school and graduate debt free. Most of our friends are either doctors or director/c-suite level at various banks and funds.

Your statement that not all fields pay well is true, but my post was to refute EY’s statement claiming that finance is where the money is. 

Of course there are exceptions to my refute. If we’re talking about certain types of doctors who receive considerably less than a director at a fund would over a 10 year span, then sure. Or if we’re talking about the rare fund manager who hit on a monster bet and then walked away, maybe. But those guys generally don’t exist. And simply going by headcount, there are more doctors with higher pay than there are fund managers - period. Also, most doctors enjoy 25-30+ years of their high pay scale, whereas fund managers experience huge swings in pay determined by various factors. GPs sometimes don’t even get paid or have to return portions of their salary if the market turns on them or if they make bad bets in a given year. That offsets the big paycheck they might have received the year before. Doctors don’t deal with that stuff. Their salary is generally safe from clawbacks unless they’re being sued for malpractice, for which there is insurance.

When considering all of this over the long term (meaning from your first post-grad paycheck till retirement), I stick to my statement that doctors are still going to receive an aggregate pay check larger than most jobs - and definitely more so than finance. And that’s the message we’ll be passing along to our firstborn from the moment he/she arrives in early/mid 2019! :D

36 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I own a couple wellness clinics. I’m a chiropractor. 

Interesting..  I handle a lot of chiropractors here in Charlotte.  Im sure youve heard the joke..  Some of my clients are real doctors. :)

The answer is ...  Yes, we Chiropractors haven't killed enough people to get the respect we deserve.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Interesting..  I handle a lot of chiropractors here in Charlotte.  Im sure youve heard the joke..  Some of my clients are real doctors. :)

The answer is ...  Yes, we Chiropractors haven't killed enough people to get the respect we deserve.

We are the Jamal Adams of healthcare. Just ask us.

4 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

My wife is also a doctor and I’m in finance - both were fortunate to go to school and graduate debt free. Most of our friends are either doctors or director/c-suite level at various banks and funds.

Your statement that not all fields pay well is true, but my post was to refute EY’s statement claiming that finance is where the money is. 

Of course there are exceptions to my refute. If we’re talking about certain types of doctors who receive considerably less than a director at a fund would over a 10 year span, then sure. Or if we’re talking about the rare fund manager who hit on a monster bet and then walked away, maybe. But those guys generally don’t exist. And simply going by headcount, there are more doctors with higher pay than there are fund managers - period. Also, most doctors enjoy 25-30+ years of their high pay scale, whereas fund managers experience huge swings in pay determined by various factors. GPs sometimes don’t even get paid or have to return portions of their salary if the market turns on them or if they make bad bets in a given year. That offsets the big paycheck they might have received the year before. Doctors don’t deal with that stuff. Their salary is generally safe from clawbacks unless they’re being sued for malpractice, for which there is insurance.

When considering all of this over the long term (meaning from your first post-grad paycheck till retirement), I stick to my statement that doctors are still going to receive an aggregate pay check larger than most jobs - and definitely more so than finance. And that’s the message we’ll be passing along to our firstborn from the moment he/she arrives in early/mid 2019! :D

Congrats to you and Doc. All the best.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:33 AM, New York Mick said:

She’s wants to get away from the high crime and sh*tty schools in S Florida and be with in 30 minutes to an hour from Bergen County. What area should I look at? Basic things I’m looking into is work (residential electrical), good schools, and low crime. 

I was going to say divorce her, but NJ is a big upgrade over Florida

Archived