INJURY: Enunwa High Ankle Sprain--To Miss Time

southtown24th

Just now, Augustiniak said:

peake and roberts are next up on the depth chart.  i wonder if they'd bring in someone else or promote burnett from the practice squad.

If they promote Burnett they would have to cut someone, so it’s probably roll with what they have and maybe get Sterling more involved.  

Next man up and all that... I'm not so worried about Darnold who seems like he can find a working relationship with one of the other WR's. But this really sucks for Q. It feels like injuries are going to hinder his potential as player, and his potential payday next offseason. He looks as good as any top receiver these days, but if he's gonna keep getting these injuries that's a real problem.

1 minute ago, Tony MaC said:

Next man up and all that... I'm not so worried about Darnold who seems like he can find a working relationship with one of the other WR's. But this really sucks for Q. It feels like injuries are going to hinder his potential as player, and his potential payday next offseason. He looks as good as any top receiver these days, but if he's gonna keep getting these injuries that's a real problem.

MIght make his price tag a little less

14 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

If they promote Burnett they would have to cut someone, so it’s probably roll with what they have and maybe get Sterling more involved.  

Sterling was a WR in high school and college drafted to the NFL as a WR Jacksonville moved him to TE. 

Im sure he can play the same role Enunwa did. 

Sometimes good things come out of seemingly bad situations. With Enunwa we get two guys out there who are battling to take the position Terrell Pryor and Kearse. Pyror is a monster out there, tall and strong a 1000 yard receiver and Kearse can catch and hold on to the ball.

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is why depth is important. Your offense isn’t crippled when you have other players. We are very lucky in this regard. I wonder how this will impact contract negotiations. Maybe we get a discount in exchange for security since he has injury issues. Gotta use that cap space somehow! 

Without trying to be cynical... This was where my mind went

sorry for the kid ... And our 2018 season will lose some production

but

if we can bring Q back at reduced $ ,he & Darnold have a good chance to be together for the next 5 years or so

That sucks, but so goes life in the NFL.

Play it safe and IR the man for the season and let him get healthy for next year and beyond. Last thing I want is for him to come into camp next offseason, still rehabbing because he closed out this season by playing on a hobbled ankle. Demote one of the kids from the practice squad and slowly work them in, while relying on the sudden appearance of Kearse, the return of Sterling, and the newly emerging Pryor and Herndon--not to Powell, Crowell, and Robby.

Sam, while clearly has a favorite target in Enunwa, has shown he is capable of spreading the ball around quite a lot, if given the opportunity.

This injury is not the death sentence for the team I would've thought it was before the season started, though it does suck to lose such a dynamic player and leader like Q.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Sterling was a WR in high school and college drafted to the NFL as a WR Jacksonville moved him to TE. 

Excellent point .. The way I see it is we have the QB so the rest of the parts are interchangeable.

Enunwa is an injury waiting to happen. It’s just the way he plays.  Does anyone think he could go a whole season without an injury - no way! That’s why he will probably never be a top receiver. He’s a beast but he doesn’t play to play another down. Every play is balls out for him - which is fine - just use him up when he’s healthy but have a replacement ready at all times. 

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Pullleze Sterling is not a WR. He’s slow as molasses.  Herndon can fill Q’s role. Very similar traits. Leave Sterling at TE where he belongs. 

11 minutes ago, BigO said:

Pullleze Sterling is not a WR. He’s slow as molasses.  Herndon can fill Q’s role. Very similar traits. Leave Sterling at TE where he belongs. 

Enunwa ran a 4.45 on his pro day.  

Sterling ran a 4.62 on his pro day. 

Sterling can play the hybrid TE/WR role in Enunwa's absence. 

Archived