Jon Gruden: anyone still upset we didn't hire him?

Klecko73isGod

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It feels like Gruden went into this year thinking "Well, this is year one of my tear-down-and-rebuild plan."

It feels like he doesn't like any of the players on his team. Carr, Cooper, Mack... There are (or were) rumors about trading or moving on from all of them.

I understand a coach wanting to come in and set up his own system. I understand a coach wanting the players and talent that fits that system... But you still have to TRY and make it work with the guys you have, right? Or adapt your plan a little bit? It seems like he's not interested in that. 

Maybe it works down the road? Maybe in 2-3 years he's changed the roster over a ton and the guys he brings in fits the scheme and coaching style he wants...

But right now... Whew, it's ugly. 

44 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Ummmm. no. 

Bowles is 3-3 this year. Gruden is 1-5. 

That means Bowles is 300 times better than Gruden, 

Learn math. 

Bowles is in year 4 and hasn't made the playoffs. By year 3 Gruden was coaching in a conference championship game.

This franchise is one year away from moving to Vegas

this is the "major league" style of leaving town. Get so bad, they don't miss you when you pack up the team and leave. just like how teams get good for when they open a new stadium, they get awful just before a move. and why not? What's the alternative, give the animals in Oakland one last hurrah? They don't care about that. 

Plus he can accumulate draft capital and actually think long term, a luxury about 3 other humans get in the NFL. He's still not a great coach but there's nothing wrong with his current plan to lose as many games as possible, in this rare case of a team moving. Usually is a disaster, in this case it's like burning leaves in the backyard. 

not that i ever thought little chuckie was an elite coach but it could be the raiders just aren't as good as advertised.  carr is a decent qb but not a great one.  lynch is on the backside of his career. they had some really good draft picks like cooper but he has disappeared, pre gruden.  let's see what the raiders are in 3 seasons before judging gruden too harshly.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I doubt there was any Jets fan with a pulse who seriously wanted Gruden. The Raiders hire of Gruden was pretty much universally panned as a disaster from the moment it happened.

Really?  How did you miss it?

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this is the "major league" style of leaving town. Get so bad, they don't miss you when you pack up the team and leave. just like how teams get good for when they open a new stadium, they get awful just before a move. and why not? What's the alternative, give the animals in Oakland one last hurrah? They don't care about that. 

Plus he can accumulate draft capital and actually think long term, a luxury about 3 other humans get in the NFL. He's still not a great coach but there's nothing wrong with his current plan to lose as many games as possible, in this rare case of a team moving. Usually is a disaster, in this case it's like burning leaves in the backyard. 

Makes no sense on any level.  What's the downside of playing well on the way out?  And really, lifelong fans won't miss them if they have a bad season?  

28 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Bowles is in year 4 and hasn't made the playoffs. By year 3 Gruden was coaching in a conference championship game.

Is this a history lesson?  Hard to argue that Gruden is doing well now.  And I can't believe Bowles didn't make the playoffs with the scary talented teams he has had.  Like it or not, the arrow is pointing up and he is likely to be around for a while, unless they crap the bed for the rest of the season.  I think seven wins and he will return.

49 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

It feels like Gruden went into this year thinking "Well, this is year one of my tear-down-and-rebuild plan."

It feels like he doesn't like any of the players on his team. Carr, Cooper, Mack... There are (or were) rumors about trading or moving on from all of them.

I understand a coach wanting to come in and set up his own system. I understand a coach wanting the players and talent that fits that system... But you still have to TRY and make it work with the guys you have, right? Or adapt your plan a little bit? It seems like he's not interested in that. 

Maybe it works down the road? Maybe in 2-3 years he's changed the roster over a ton and the guys he brings in fits the scheme and coaching style he wants...

But right now... Whew, it's ugly. 

I don't have a lot of confidence in his ability to pick QBs and Mack is the kind of guy you build around.  This smells like a disaster coming.

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The movie was at least entertaining.

rachelphelps.jpg

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Then led the team he built, Brought the Tony Dungy choker Bucs to their first Super Bowl and played the team he just built and left. I'd say he's probably a good coach. 

I didn't want him after so many years away from the sideline, but come on. The guy has more of a track record than any coach we've ever had next to Parcells. (and Weeb for the old heads) 

We hired a Tony Dungy position coach during the same time. lol 

I'm sure he had the conversation before signing on that he would tear down and rebuild the team. He can't be judged on the first year's performance through a tear down.

I'm not sure I agree with how he is tearing down the team but I'm not privy to the inner activity of the team or his larger plan.

Archived