Jon Gruden: anyone still upset we didn't hire him?

Klecko73isGod

1 minute ago, rex-n-effect said:

I'm sure he had the conversation before signing on that he would tear down and rebuild the team. He can't be judged on the first year's performance through a tear down.

I'm not sure I agree with how he is tearing down the team but I'm not privy to the inner activity of the team or his larger plan.

Yes, getting rid a a guy who appears to be the second coming of Lawrence Taylor minus the coke and hookers was genius. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bitonti said:

This franchise is one year away from moving to Vegas

this is the "major league" style of leaving town. Get so bad, they don't miss you when you pack up the team and leave. just like how teams get good for when they open a new stadium, they get awful just before a move. and why not? What's the alternative, give the animals in Oakland one last hurrah? They don't care about that. 

Plus he can accumulate draft capital and actually think long term, a luxury about 3 other humans get in the NFL. He's still not a great coach but there's nothing wrong with his current plan to lose as many games as possible, in this rare case of a team moving. Usually is a disaster, in this case it's like burning leaves in the backyard. 

You don't start losing when you are getting ready to move and the new stadium is already being built. 

This is the time to start winning to generate interest in your new city. Those PSLs don't sell themselves. 

What a friggin' trainwreck out in Oakland. 
Easiest prediction ever. He was never a good coach to begin with. 

. Mack was bad one, but that roster is sh*t and Gruden is kicking arse. Carr sucks and a lot of underachievers are a part of the problem. It’s not that black and white to just sit in a lawn chair and point to Gruden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

. Mack was bad one, but that roster is sh*t and Gruden is kicking arse. Carr sucks and a lot of underachievers are a part of the problem. It’s not that black and white to just sit in a lawn chair and point to Gruden.

Jeez, you grass is always greener people crack me up. 

Gruden sucks. 

Jeez, you grass is always greener people crack me up. 
Gruden sucks. 

Not always greener. I don’t want him here, the game has passed him by.

But you can count Jets fans to start threads to point and laugh at other teams based on the most naive or totally erroneous assessment. Like oak didn’t already suck. Like Carr missing guys and throwing murder balls is Gruden’s fault. Like he picked the 10 crabby DBs presently on the roster *eyeroll*

Anyway. I know this isn’t a popular perspective, just being honest.

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Not always greener. I don’t want him here, the game has passed him by.

But you can count Jets fans to start threads to point and laugh at other teams based on the most naive or totally erroneous assessment. Like oak didn’t already suck. Like Carr missing guys and throwing murder balls is Gruden’s fault. Like he picked the 10 crabby DBs presently on the roster *eyeroll*

Anyway. I know this isn’t a popular perspective, just being honest.

No, it's just wrong. 

The Raiders are coming off an injury plagued down year which came on the heels of a playoff season. They won 12 games just two years ago. 

This is not a team that should have been in rebuild mode. 

Their owner panicked because he is stupid and is getting ready to move to a new city so he thought he needed to bring in a big name to generate excitement. 

You know how I know Mark Davis is stupid? The man drives 500 miles every three weeks to pay someone to do this to his hair:

Image result for mark davis raiders

No, it's just wrong. 
The Raiders are coming off an injury plagued down year which came on the heels of a playoff season. They won 12 games just two years ago. 
This is not a team that should have been in rebuild mode. 
Their owner panicked because he is stupid and is getting ready to move to a new city so he thought he needed to bring in a big name to generate excitement. 
You know how I know Mark Davis is stupid? The man drives 500 miles every three weeks to pay someone to do this to his hair:
0517b1a50d9141db3fc7b96e1e935dde-original.jpg&key=859b6a4b5905e17efd30f50765bbb0877fd28bc6af77a210642259cde8d23eee

In Carr’s whole career he had one good season under Bill Musgrave. Cooper has done nothing outside of his ok rookie year. Carr sucks. And you’re sell me on the fact that ONE year is actually the accurate picture of their team, not the other 5 seasons of Carr?

No. Not buying it. if anything, Grudens ridiculous approach will at least get them a full reset. The alternative was hiding Carr behind gameplans. See Jacksonville

Peace. I’m out.

Just now, Paradis said:

In Carr’s whole career he had one good season under Bill Musgrave. Cooper has done nothing outside of his ok rookie year. Carr sucks. And you’re sell me on the fact that ONE year is actually the accurate picture of their team, not the other 5 seasons of Carr?

No. Not buying it. if anything, Grudens ridiculous approach will at least get them a full reset. The alternative was hiding Carr behind gameplans. See Jacksonville

Peace. I’m out.

Gruden doesn't make it past the end of the 2019 season. He only gets past this year because Davis can't admit his mistake yet. 

When they have 6 wins under Guden total by December of 2019 I'll remind you of this.

3 hours ago, roscoeword said:

But why would he want to year down the team? Oakland was an up and coming team, not one that has to be broken up. 

That is what I was thinking.

Two years ago this team was 12-4 and if not for Derek Carr injury were poised to make a deep run.

Now they look like the Raiders that we know and even us can laugh at.

SMH

3 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

That is what I was thinking.

Two years ago this team was 12-4 and if not for Derek Carr injury were poised to make a deep run.

Now they look like the Raiders that we know and even us can laugh at.

SMH

Derek carr broke his leg and his back since that year.  Hes not the same because of the serious injuries he had.

And foolish people cant see that gruden is there for 10 years.  These first few years they wont be competitive.He looked at the roster, deemed it to be crap and is starting a rebuild.  

Why is this hard to see?

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Derek carr broke his leg and his back since that year.  Hes not the same because of the serious injuries he had.

And foolish people cant see that gruden is there for 10 years.  These first few years they wont be competitive.He looked at the roster, deemed it to be crap and is starting a rebuild.  

Why is this hard to see?

Gruden will not coach the Raiders for 10 years. 

30 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why is this hard to see?

So, you think that he is some kind of master roster builder?  Al Davis built that roster that he won with in Oakland.  In Tampa, he was handed a team that consistently went to the playoffs under Dungy.  The first year he won the super bowl, but he barely had a winning record there.  

5 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Is this a history lesson?  Hard to argue that Gruden is doing well now.  And I can't believe Bowles didn't make the playoffs with the scary talented teams he has had.  Like it or not, the arrow is pointing up and he is likely to be around for a while, unless they crap the bed for the rest of the season.  I think seven wins and he will return.

Bowles had very talented team with weak sched year 1.  Last year he had talent on par with Buffalo. The bills made the playoffs, the Jets were 5-11.

I am rooting for Bowles, I hope he becomes a good coach but 4 years in the evidence tells us otherwise.  

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Then led the team he built, Brought the Tony Dungy choker Bucs to their first Super Bowl and played the team he just built and left. I'd say he's probably a good coach. 

I didn't want him after so many years away from the sideline, but come on. The guy has more of a track record than any coach we've ever had next to Parcells. (and Weeb for the old heads) 

We hired a Tony Dungy position coach during the same time. lol 

I'm not saying I want Gruden now but if the choice is Bowles or Gruden I'm taking Gruden without a doubt

Gruden has 101 wins including a Super Bowl under his belt and has a .528 winning percentage overall.  Todd Bowles still hasn't figured out how to properly use his timeouts after 3-1/2 years of being a HC.  

I would take Gruden as a HC over Bowles everyday and twice on Sunday. 

Just now, Klecko73isGod said:

lol, no it wasn't. 

It absolutely was.  We had a really talented D, an excellent run game, incredible WRs and a QB playing the best football of his career all against a cupcake schedule.

All we had to do was beat an inferior bills team one time and we couldn't do it.  

Gruden doesn't make it past the end of the 2019 season. He only gets past this year because Davis can't admit his mistake yet. 
When they have 6 wins under Guden total by December of 2019 I'll remind you of this.

6 wins next year would be a good stepping stone. We would have tolerated that this year. I expect they’ll be after a new QB and new franchise faces. Whether Gruden can pull it off himself over the next 2-3 years is murky. But that’s separate from thinking that oak was a good team that Gruden is wrecking. Thats just poor assessment in my opinion.

The Mack trade is biggest head scratcher. The rest is meh.

Archived