Vikings fan here just wanting to talk game this weekend!

Vikingfan

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

They were very good. Moss & Carter were on a different level IMO.

Agreed.  Clayton and Duper may have been largely a product of having Marino throwing to them.  They were no doubt very good WRs, but I don't think they had near the talent level of either Carter or Moss.  Lofton and Reed is closer but still not the same.  Same with Lynn and Stallworth (and I did see them play).  

The only other pair that comes to mind I haven't seen mentioned is Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt.  Amazing production but having Marshall Faulk there certainly made things easier for them.  I guess I'd put them in the 2nd tier with Rice & Owens maybe.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets are a bi polar team. I think what will surprise you the most is the Oline has actually come together a bit & Jets will try to overpower your front which is not big. Keeping your offense off the field will be key & I think Jets attack every one on coverage & take some shots.

Smith will probably fool Sam into a pick. 

Jets TEs are coming on and Bates will try to move the chains in 2 TE sets. 

Bowles will have to take some chances on defense & blitz.

Good Qbs can easily read the Jets defense. We have good young players but a lot of confusion and the scheme is not that good. Huge areas not covered that Qbs have exploited. Cousins should get a lot of yardage.  The D players hit hard and have had success on turnovers. It's not like there isn't an effort but basically the D is getting out coached every week. Last week against the Colts the D line wasn't a big factor. The Colts handled them. The Vikes are definitely the favorite in this game and it could be double digits. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Good Qbs can easily read the Jets defense. We have good young players but a lot of confusion and the scheme is not that good. Huge areas not covered that Qbs have exploited. Cousins should get a lot of yardage.  The D players hit hard and have had success on turnovers. It's not like there isn't an effort but basically the D is getting out coached every week. Last week against the Colts the D line wasn't a big factor. The Colts handled them. The Vikes are definitely the favorite in this game and it could be double digits. 

You do realize that many of those turnovers come from scheme and coaching, don't you?  Luck and Stafford have played plenty of football. 

I never thought that Cousins with the Skins was a 30 mil Qb. He was ok to good that's it. But then not only were teams like the Jets offering to pony up but players around the league were saying he was a top flight Qb. So maybe he is, I haven't seen it. Macc apparently offered him more than the Vikings did. I'm glad we got Darnold. My concern with him is injury because he sometimes exposes himself to big hits. 

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I never thought that Cousins with the Skins was a 30 mil Qb. He was ok to good that's it. But then not only were teams like the Jets offering to pony up but players around the league were saying he was a top flight Qb. So maybe he is, I haven't seen it. Macc apparently offered him more than the Vikings did. I'm glad we got Darnold. My concern with him is injury because he sometimes exposes himself to big hits. 

Our Jets are not Super Bowl contenders & the Vikings are so if your a Viking fan this game means way more to you than to Jet fans. Vikings window is very small & though I wanted Cousins obviously he's overpaid & the Jets lucked out that he signed with the Vikings & Darnold fell to us. 

So, if the Jets somehow pull out a victory missing Enunwa, Trumaine, Maye, maybe Crowell, with a 21 year old QB I'd want to jump off a bridge if I were a Viking fan. I hope this puts this game into perspective.

I think if the Vikes are able to establish the run early, it will be lights out for the Jets. No way that we have the firepower to keep those WR's in check the whole game, and a solid run game will cause even more havoc.  If the Jets are playing from behind the entire game, we just don't have the weapons to keep up.  That being said, we've dropped 40+ points twice in 6 games this year so far so what the hell do I know?  

Conclusion - the Jets are unpredictable.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That combo came to mind when I was commenting. Taylor was very good but not on Carters level. Was Rice better than Moss? I know he's considered the goat but Moss was a freak man.

There have been some amazing combos. I'd throw Fitz-Boldin into that conversation. Holt-Bruce were also deadly for a while. Harrison-Wayne for a few years as well.

Then there were a bunch that were also crazy-productive for a year or a few years together, but were a noticeable tier below (Smith-McCaffrey-Sharpe; J.Smith-McCardell; Ellard-FlipperA; Joiner-Jefferson-Winslow; a couple others already mentioned.

Hard to compare to most pre-90s duos/trios because so few teams passed that much, never mind benefitting from Manning-Ty Law and other offense-friendly rules where there'd be enough yards/TDs to go around for a pair to really rack up the numbers. Not to mention WCO that made moving the ball more efficiently than just playing it safe running it, so WRs/TEs picked up gobs of ball-control yardage on top of the downfield/EZ targets that made them so dangerous. Also guys are just flat-out faster now on both sides of the ball, QBs can really break down film 5 seconds after it happens on the sideline with a surface tablet, while the game is still ongoing, bring them into the locker room at halftime. A bit better than just the B&W stills, though they've only been using those for a few years yet, I think.

21 hours ago, Vikingfan said:

I would agree we're built for NOW and yes we've mortgaged our future with Cousins and also several other signings.  I was at the Bills game (see attached pic) and saw first hand what happens when we take a team lightly.  Worst game I've ever seen.

vikings.JPG

The Bills/Vikings game ruined a lot of knockout pool entries. DAMN YOU, KIRK COUSINS! 

2 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

1 SB, between the 2 teams in their entire existence, sad, I think it's your turn to win a Regular season game between the two teams, yippie.

I think I saw where the Vikings have never beaten the Jets in NY.  So there's that!

22 hours ago, Vikingfan said:

I cannot imagine being a fan of a team in the same division as the damn Patriots!!  How does one make it through that year after year?

Mind altering substances help.  I'm up in VT where it's largely Cheatriot territory, and ,am, when they win, it just sucks. My retort when I get razzed wearing Jet gear is "Well, the one better thing about rooting for the Jets is OUR stuff is always on sale ..." It gets a laugh and lets me leave the bar in one piece.

Courtney Cronin ESPN Staff Writer 

Sheldon Richardson, who was drafted by the Jets in 2013 (the year he won DROY) and notched his first Pro Bowl season in New York in 2014, reflects on his personal growth since being traded away last year: "When Rex was with them I was doing pretty good for the most part making a name for myself in the league and after that, it's kind of self-inflicted wounds and just me not overcoming my personal battles in life that got me out of there and that changed everything around there. That's pretty much it and I pretty much grew from everywhere. At every phase of my life I grew from it. In Seattle, my time I spent there, I grew from that, not knowing where I was going to be this offseason. Just sitting down. You go for a year straight, you know what you're doing, you know what to expect and then you go and you don't know. You don't know where you're at, as far as you're career. And battling through that and landing in a good situation (in Minnesota), good team, good family-oriented guys, good coaching staff. Can't really beat it."

Jets’ big challenge: Little-known receiver who’s destroying NFL

Adam Thielen

Many of the top receivers in the NFL are recognizable by their first name or even their initials. Say OBJ, AB, Julio or Tyreek to any football fan and they will know to whom you are referring.

But all of those players are looking up at a man named Adam when it comes to the stats this season. Vikings wide receiver Adam Thielen is not a household name, but he will be if he continues to play the way he has to start the 2018 season.

Thielen has 10 more receptions than anyone else in the NFL with 58 through six games. He has five more yards than Julio Jones to lead the league with 712. He is averaging a league-best 118.7 yards per game. He has at least 100 yards receiving in each of the Vikings’ first six games, an NFL record for the start of a season.

A banged-up Jets secondary is the only thing standing between Thielen and a seventh consecutive 100-yard game. When the Vikings come to MetLife Stadium on Sunday, stopping Thielen will be a top priority for the Jets defense.

Good luck.

“He’s outstanding,” Jets coach Todd Bowles said. “He’s tough. You can see that he’s tough. He’s extremely smart. He’s seen every coverage that you can throw at him. Outstanding hands, you can tell he’s a competitor of the highest level. Whether you double him, triple him or single him or play zone, he finds a way to get open and get it done. It’s rare to find a No. 1 receiver — they have two of them actually [with Stefon Diggs] — that can get open when they know you’re doubling them and just doesn’t quit and gets open. He has that special gift.”

Thielen’s story is remarkable. He grew up in Detroit Lakes, Minn., and went to Division II Minnesota State on a $500 scholarship. As a senior, he had 1,100 receiving yards and eight touchdowns, not enough to get an invitation from the NFL to attend the scouting combine. He paid his own way to attend a regional combine in Chicago. These events are not even attended by scouts, but data is collected and sent to NFL teams. He ran a 4.45-second 40-yard dash that caught the eye of a few teams. The Vikings invited Thielen to their rookie minicamp for a tryout and he impressed them enough to get signed.

Thielen spent a year on the Vikings’ practice squad before joining the active roster in 2014. His numbers have gotten better and better and he made the Pro Bowl last year after a 91-catch season with 1,276 receiving yards and four touchdowns.

This season, he has clicked with new Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins and is putting up eye-popping numbers.

The Jets are expected to be without starting cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson and Buster Skrine as well as safety Marcus Maye, who are all injured. Thielen plays in the slot most of the time, meaning he likely will be matched up with rookie Parry Nickerson, who is playing in place of Skrine.

“He has great separation out of his breaks, a great catch radius and great hands,” Nickerson said. “I just have to play my game, play what coach has installed in the game plan.”

Adding to the task for the Jets is Diggs playing alongside Thielen. He has 40 catches himself this season.

“It’s a huge challenge,” Bowles said. “Obviously, we get challenged every week, but these two guys do everything well. Usually you get a speed guy or a deep guy or a short guy. Both of these guys do everything.”

Safety Jamal Adams knows what kind of challenge Thielen presents for the Jets this week.

“He’s a hell of a player,” Adams said. “It’s not that he just works hard and they want to get him the ball. The guy can actually play. He can play football. He was undrafted and went through a different path. He’s made a name for himself, and I respect him

The Jets are banged up and not expected to win.

This game is a MUST WIN for Minnesota.  A team that was 1 win from the Super Bowl last year made a conscious decision to try to upgrade the most important position on the field with Cousins.  A 3-4 Vikings team heading into November is not what their fans expected.

The pressure is on them.

Archived