PFF studs and duds through week 6

detectivekimble

PFF isn't perfect, but still interesting.

STUDS

Isaiah Crowell -- #11 HB

Darron Lee -- #13 LB

Morris Claiborne -- #13 CB

Avery Williamson -- #14 LB

Jamal Adams -- #15 S

Quincy Enunwa -- #33 WR (was much higher, but dropped off big time the last two weeks)

DUDS

Spencer Long -- #33 C (this guy sucks and someone needs to get him away from Darnold)

Trumaine Johnson -- #41 CB (he's been solid, but he should be a top CB)

James Carpenter -- #45 G (to be fair, that's average, but he was good his first two years with the Jets)

A few notes:

1) Good CBs are hard to find, so Mo Claiborne should be resigned.  Not sure why Mac only gave him a one year deal, considering he was solid last year.  He's going to pay big time for that **** up.

2) Lee and Williamson are a fantastic duo.

3) Adams and Lee have a ton of upside.  They're already good at a young age and have much more upside.

4) Crowell is not a JAG.

5) Need to invest more in the offense.  The defense has all (except for Darnold) of the "blue chip" prospects.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Spencer long was mostly awful w/ WAS... i didn't understand the excitement when we signed him... now it's becoming a serious problem. 

Is there a C coming out with a first round grade? Did the Jets ever regret Mangold, or Dallas Frederick? Like ever?

2 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

A few notes:

1) Good CBs are hard to find, so Mo Claiborne should be resigned.  Not sure why Mac only gave him a one year deal, considering he was solid last year.  He's going to pay big time for that **** up.

ANNNND.....it seems like he'll regret actually PAYING Trumaine Johnson, no? The only answer to this is one-year deals for every player all the time on every team, and we know that's not happening. 

6 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

I think you qualify if you've played a certain number of stats.  Either way, that shows how bad he is.

I expect his grade to get better, the line the last 2 weeks seems to have gelled a bit more. It’s going to be interesting to see how OL will be addressed in the off season since this draft isn’t really packed with OL talent

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I expect his grade to get better, the line the last 2 weeks seems to have gelled a bit more. It’s going to be interesting to see how OL will be addressed in the off season since this draft isn’t really packed with OL talent

The draft over the last two years have been filled with good Centers, but the Jets choose to draft other players.   See Pat Elflein over Adarious Stewart. 

Mac has a real mental block against evaluating and drafting OL.

Claiborne and Enunwa are FAs next year.  They should be extended now.  

8 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

How is a starting center ranked #33? There are only 32 teams, lol.

because he is better than the guy they cut Mangold for...  upgrades baby - Jets management must know something we don't - LOL

As it turned out Mangold's sister would have been a better than both of them

Again with this PFF nerd "Trumaine Johnson has been solid crap?"

If he weren't being paid what he is...  he would have been benched for;

-getting scorched on deep routes (Callaway and Moncrief).

-giving too much cushion on 3rd downs.

- lack of effort in run support.

- mental lapses.

-missed tackles.

Pick one... or all of the above...

Tru's only defense is that Parry Nickerson isn't ready yet.  Not much of a case for a guy making that much $$$.

31 minutes ago, varjet said:

The draft over the last two years have been filled with good Centers, but the Jets choose to draft other players.   See Pat Elflein over Adarious Stewart. 

Mac has a real mental block against evaluating and drafting OL.

Claiborne and Enunwa are FAs next year.  They should be extended now.  

Enunwa is an injury waiting to happen - it's just the way he plays. As much as I like him I wouldn't plan the future around him. Claiborne seems to do great on 1 year contracts.  Soon as you give him a 3 year deal his play will drop. I'd give him another 1 year with a nice raise - in fact extend him now if possible but no on the 3 year deal. 

The Spencer Long stuff is frustrating because he sucks and has always sucked and he's coming off an injury because he's never healthy and he was literally the only, one and only, OL they even approached this offseason while punting on drafting any OL in the draft too when they knew they were taking a QB at #3.  So mind boggling. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Spencer Long stuff is frustrating because he sucks and has always sucked and he's coming off an injury because he's never healthy and he was literally the only, one and only, OL they even approached this offseason while punting on drafting any OL in the draft too when they knew they were taking a QB at #3.  So mind boggling. 

My only issue with this is knowing that we currently have a solid o-line... however the inverse would be to think about how much better would this o-line be if we had a better center than Long... 

The extreme opinions about Long are rather amusing. Long is the perfect definition of a jag. An average player. If he was awful Darnold wouldn't survive, unless you believe Carpenter and Winters are pro bowlers. Which their not.

3 minutes ago, genot said:

The extreme opinions about Long are rather amusing. Long is the perfect definition of a jag. An average player. If he was awful Darnold wouldn't survive, unless you believe Carpenter and Winters are pro bowlers. Which their not.

So its best that we wait for one of his errant snaps (of which there are many) to sail over darnolds head so he can get killed?  Darnold has been positively heroic a half dozen times this year in saving plays that long has doomed.

Some of the other ratings.  Adams is great for a box safety.  Lee can catch now and is making plays in zone defense. 

Tru Johnosn, as i said before the more mac pays guys the worse they play.

8 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Agreed.  I think the defense is good enough to win with and the team would be 4-2 or 5-1 if not for the offense's growing pains.  So you keep that intact while improving the offense. 

Can't forget the Jax game, they were intimidated, scared, and looked like the team of the last 4 years that had no hope. We will see what this team is made of over the next few weeks playing against top teams again. Den and Indy both suck.

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Maybe it's just me but outside of the snaps Spencer Long just hasn't looked that bad IMO. He's clearly a big upgrade over Wesley Johnson, as faint as that praise is.

I was thinking. Whenever we want to pass, we should just line Sam up in shotgun 15 yards deep and have Hennessy snap it to him.

This allows routes time to develop, it saves Sam from unnecessary hits, it mitigates our OL's pass blocking deficiencies, and most of all it eliminates Long's inability execute a standard goddamn snap.

Plus, we all know Sam's got the throw power and accuracy. I mean, just look at his stats on balls 20+ yards down the field!

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So its best that we wait for one of his errant snaps (of which there are many) to sail over darnolds head so he can get killed?  Darnold has been positively heroic a half dozen times this year in saving plays that long has doomed.

Some of the other ratings.  Adams is great for a box safety.  Lee can catch now and is making plays in zone defense. 

Tru Johnosn, as i said before the more mac pays guys the worse they play.

He had an injury. That"s why some of those snaps have been off. If you remember the two games where Darnold was under pressure it was Beachum getting beat. The Dolphin game both our Tackles had it rough. Letr's hope he heals up. I agree. The bad snaps have to stop. It's not rocket science. We could do it with enough practice

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

We could have signed Richburg or Jensen.  Mac appeared to want to go the bargain basement route.  

Stewart over Elflein is up there with the Hack pick.  

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

All the Darron Lee haters are slowly fading away...

The twitter generation  refuses to give 21 year old kids a year or two to develop. 

In fairness, it's pretty rare for a guy to look as lost as Lee did in years 1-2 and have a leap like this in year 3. I'm sure all the "haters" are happy about it too.

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

In fairness, it's pretty rare for a guy to look as lost as Lee did in years 1-2 and have a leap like this in year 3. I'm sure all the "haters" are happy about it too.

If people watched Lee objectively last year they would have seen a player making far more plays than the year before. More stuffs behind the line, forced fumbles a few sacks. The progress was there to see for fans that weren't depressingly pessimistic about a 22 year old kid. Unfortunately many on this board were more concerned about being proven right (they never liked Lee from the day he was drafted).

The same is true with Jamal Adams. They just hated the pick so they will always find a reason to kill the kid even though he has proven to be a leader and a difference maker on defense. 

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This.  It's very rare to turn it around as much as he has.  Watching Lee was like watching Dee Milliner, they look like they had never played the position before; zero instincts, absolutely no body control, no clue how to take proper angles, no feel for the ball, he was abysmal.  Couldnt be happier he's proved me wrong because I didnt see a player that bad becoming anything other than depth.  

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Maybe it's just me but outside of the snaps Spencer Long just hasn't looked that bad IMO. He's clearly a big upgrade over Wesley Johnson, as faint as that praise is.

That's my take as well, but botching a 3rd down snap is a killer.

1 hour ago, genot said:

He had an injury. That"s why some of those snaps have been off. If you remember the two games where Darnold was under pressure it was Beachum getting beat. The Dolphin game both our Tackles had it rough. Letr's hope he heals up. I agree. The bad snaps have to stop. It's not rocket science. We could do it with enough practice

I really do not care at all if he had an injury, if you can't snap then the coachs need to have someone who can.

Archived