PFF studs and duds through week 6

detectivekimble

Consider this: As much as it is about $$ and yy, it's also about building a team. The Jets have 90 mil in projected cap room. Seems like 'overpaying' for one of the guys who's helping the team improve and is good in the locker room may be a decent investment, if it doesn't really impact the cap seriously. As far as the third year of a 3-year contract, probably not all that worrisome if the first two years have been good ones IMO.

But I do agree that Claiborne is hardly a sure thing, with his injury history. I just think you want him around because he's shown he can play at a high level and you need more than "just enough" guys on the roster who can play as good as he is playing right now.  I mean, wow, as good as the secondary played, you still want them playing a lot less minutes than the guys who are injured. We've seen them, they are holding up...FOR NOW but I can't see them doing it for the rest of the season.

And, please, you have 90 million in cap room, can we get two-to-three NEW, CAPABLE OL starters? PLEASE!! I'm begging here...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Consider this: As much as it is about $$ and yy, it's also about building a team. The Jets have 90 mil in projected cap room. Seems like 'overpaying' for one of the guys who's helping the team improve and is good in the locker room may be a decent investment, if it doesn't really impact the cap seriously. As far as the third year of a 3-year contract, probably not all that worrisome if the first two years have been good ones IMO.

But I do agree that Claiborne is hardly a sure thing, with his injury history. I just think you want him around because he's shown he can play at a high level and you need more than "just enough" guys on the roster who can play as good as he is playing right now.  I mean, wow, as good as the secondary played, you still want them playing a lot less minutes than the guys who are injured. We've seen them, they are holding up...FOR NOW but I can't see them doing it for the rest of the season.

And, please, you have 90 million in cap room, can we get two-to-three NEW, CAPABLE OL starters? PLEASE!! I'm begging here...

Agree. All the hand-wringing about “overpaying” is misguided. To paraphrase Warren Buffet: “better to get a good player at a fair price than a fair player at a good price.” Market sets the price. GMs are not just pulling numbers out of the ether. Cheap players are cheap for a reason. Caveat emptor.

Archived