Jets 2016 Draft Class has Chance to Buck Disturbing Trend

JetNation

IMG_2033.jpg

We all know the old mantra among NFL fans and executives about the need for any given franchise to “build through the draft” when putting together what they hope will be a competitive roster.  Doing so is far easier said than done, but in examining how well Mike Maccagnan’s second draft class is doing in the midst of their third season, a staggering number regarding the Jets draft history was revealed.

Given the fact that NFL rosters are composed of 53 players and every team is allotted seven draft choices per season, it’s fair to say that the goal isn’t just to draft quality players, but players who are good enough on and off the field as well as in the locker room to warrant a second, third and perhaps even a fourth contract with the team who called their name on draft day.

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan failed miserably with his first draft class, coming away with just a single player (Leonard Williams) who is likely to get a second contract from the organization.  The rest of Maccagnan’s first class is almost entirely out of the NFL due to injuries or ineffectiveness.  WR Devin Smith (2nd round), LB Lorenzo Mauldin (3rd round), QB Bryce Petty (4th round), Jarvis Harrison (5h round) are all looking for work.  Seventh-round choice Deon Simon is currently on the Green Bay Packers practice squad.

However, given the way some members of the 2016 class are playing, things will undoubtedly turn out differently than the group that preceded it. Linebackers Darron Lee (1st round) and Jordan Jenkins (3rd round) are playing quality football along with starting right tackle Brandon Shell (5th round).  It’s more likely than not that all three players will see a second contract with the Jets.  Not a bad number for the 2016 class, especially when you add punter Lachlan Edwards and special teams ace Charone Peake, who were taken in the sixth and seventh rounds respectively, to the list.  Cornerback Juston Burris is still on the roster but is hanging on by a thread.

Given the play of Lee, Jenkins and Shell, we decided to take a stroll down NFL draft memory lane to find the last class that netted the Jets three long-term starters, and it wasn’t pretty.

We had to go back almost 20 years to find a draft class that found three or more players who started and stayed with the Jets beyond their rookie contract and the Jets needed four first-round picks to do it.  That’s right, the class of 2000 that saw the Jets make four picks in round one that included QB Chad Pennington, DE Shaun Ellis, OLB John Abraham and TE Anthony Becht.

Other than that, it’s been a slew of picks who either don’t make the roster, weren’t good enough to start, or don’t hang around for more than a couple of seasons for one reason or another.  Here’s a look at the Jets drafts from 2001 to 2015 and notes how many starters hung around beyond their rookie deals.

2015: 6 picks, 1 long-term starter (Leonard Williams, assuming re-signed)

2014: 12 picks, 1 long-term starter (Quincy Enunwa, assuming re-signed)

2013: 7 picks, 1 long-term starter (Brian Winters)

2012: 8 picks, 0 long-term starters

2011: 6 picks, 1 long-term starter (Muhammad Wilkerson)

2010: 4 picks, 0 long-term starters

2009: 3 picks, 1 long-term starters (Mark Sanchez)

2008: 6 picks, 0 long-term starters

2007: 4 picks, 2 long-term starters (Darrelle Revis, David Harris)

2006: 10 picks, 2 long-term starters (D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold)

2005: 8 picks, 2 long-term starters (Sione Pouha, Kerry Rhodes)

2004: 10 picks, 1 long-term starter (Jerricho Cotchery)

2003: 7 picks, 0 long-term starters

2002: 5 picks, 2 long-term starters (Bryan Thomas, Chris Baker)

2001: 6 picks, 0 long-term starters

Total: 102 draft choices, 14 long-term starters. 

This isn’t to say that there weren’t more than 14 good players drafted during this time frame.  Players such as Keyshawn Johnson, Santana Moss, James Farrior, Hugh Douglas and Johnathan Vilma were very good players. Even still, for one reason or another, be it attitude, scheme fit or a front office overhaul, their stay with the Jets was short-term and low impact.

There have also been some quality depth players over the years such as Bilal Powell, Jeremy Kerley, Drew Coleman, etc.  But the fact of the matter is that if you’re only finding a way to retain 14 quality, long-term starters out of every 102 picks, you’re going to have a tough time “building through the draft”.

If the Jets do in fact end up retaining Lee, Jenkins and Shell beyond their rookie contracts as they continue to improve, it will mark the first time in far too long that the front office found multiple starters on their own, drafted them, developed them and continued to improve as a franchise as a result.

The post Jets 2016 Draft Class has Chance to Buck Disturbing Trend appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
xpnsrsN0SpY

Click here to read the full story...

before we start putting mac in canton it seems pretty obvious the 2017 draft class beyond adams and maye was pretty bad too.  true enough about not getting enough value from the draft because each team needs to change about 10-15 players each season just due to attrition.  it's a tough game and players need to stay mentally focused and injury free. we'll see what happens.  it would be interesting to see if the jets draft is more the norm or where it stands in relation to other teams.  but if other teams are only getting this many players then just where are all of the players coming from? 

So macc is the best GM we’ve had since parcels and groh received two picks for Keyshawn and the jets got a pick for belkichik leaving us at the alter huh?
lol
Interestingly..
Most The players used as examples in the article were picked before the articles data period. Farrior, Keyshawn and Hugh were all taken before 2000. We could have extended that list 20 more years with similar production.

Clearly macc has some improving to do and some of the JN posters ire is founded in facts.
I like to give him benefit of the doubt and time to develop as a gm.
He has proven to be proficient with finding udfa talent as well as good FA pickups. This article highlights that his 2016 draft may be pretty solid as well.
I also feel like the 2018 class might have some goodies in it too. Sam darnold leading the pack of Sheppard, Nickerson, Herndon and cannon.
Macc night not be as bad as people emotions lead them to think.

If we can be patient we just might have the greatest GM of our lives on our hands!!!

Thanks article!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

before we start putting mac in canton it seems pretty obvious the 2017 draft class beyond adams and maye was pretty bad too.  true enough about not getting enough value from the draft because each team needs to change about 10-15 players each season just due to attrition.  it's a tough game and players need to stay mentally focused and injury free. we'll see what happens.  it would be interesting to see if the jets draft is more the norm or where it stands in relation to other teams.  but if other teams are only getting this many players then just where are all of the players coming from? 

I’d be very curious to see an nfl wide comparison done in the same way as this article. I wonder where we stack up I have teams like the Steelers as way beyond our abilities to draft but it would be cool to send the comparison.

This is a decent ranking and looks about right with Jets over Browns in basement

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/nfl-draft-performance-grades-best-drafting-teams-picks-classes-2012-2016

couple of others

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/5/1/17301350/nfl-draft-performance-2012-2017-derpp-method

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1608943-grading-every-teams-nfl-draft-performance-of-the-past-decade

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/nfl-draft-history/

all have the Jets well below average so good news if the arrow is pointing up, the one thing Mac did was a house cleaning so it makes sense the first couple of years were based on crappy scouting info - the problem is not new, but it is interesting to note that GM's along the way have not changed much overall - few good years and that's it

2006 was better- Brick, Mangold, Brad Smith, Eric Smith, Leon Washington, Drew Coleman

I’m curious to see how common it is that teams keep their mid level starters on a second contract. In our case I wonder if there’s any value is re-signing Jordan Jenkins?

The article is so arbitrary in how it  classifies the picks that it is (surprise!) worthless.

No credit given for Powell (still on team and definitely a starter as part of 2-RB set) or Richardson (traded but still a quality starter and we netted back a starter plus a pick for him).  Jeremy Kerley and Jon Vilma were both here and starting as long as Sanchez.  The problem is if you count Richardson and Kerley, that makes 3 players in that draft which blows up the paper-thin premise at the start.

TLDR - Jets have been pretty awful drafters forever and the 2016 class looks like it sucked less than usual.

Well in 4 drafts he has solidified ILB and S and punter.  The three most important positions on a team in which you simply cannot get decent players in those positions.

He has also very shrewdly stocked up the offense side of the ball with a good oline and playmakers knowing full well that sooner or later he was going to draft a young franchise qb.  (This after making one of the worst QB picks in the history of the NFL)

Yeah mac is doing a Treeeeeeeemendous job.

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Should be noted that Mac did trade a 2017 4th round pick for a 2016 5th round pick to get Shell.  Not exactly great value so Shell better work out.  

Shell has already worked out.  He's become a solid, if not spectacular, starting RT for this team who is young and has room to improve.  That is a solid outcome from a 5th round pick, or even a 4th round pick. 

I always thought that if a team drafted 2-3 quality players it was considered a successful draft...

Keep in mind UDFA make up a greater % of rosters than close to 5th-7th rounders combined

A search has several articles that have a similar breakdown

25 Percent of Super Bowl LII Active Rosters Made up of Undrafted Free Agents

One quarter of the players in Super Bowl LII went undrafted into the NFL.

https://herosports.com/nfl/25-percent-super-bowl-lii-active-rosters-undrafted-free-agents-byby

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2015/05/22/tracking-nfl-draft-efficiency-how-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/#207c77d67495

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I always thought that if a team drafted 2-3 quality players it was considered a successful draft...

Keep in mind UDFA make up a greater % of rosters than close to 5th-7th rounders combined

A search has several articles that have a similar breakdown

25 Percent of Super Bowl LII Active Rosters Made up of Undrafted Free Agents

One quarter of the players in Super Bowl LII went undrafted into the NFL.

https://herosports.com/nfl/25-percent-super-bowl-lii-active-rosters-undrafted-free-agents-byby

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2015/05/22/tracking-nfl-draft-efficiency-how-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/#207c77d67495

That all makes sense considering there isn’t a ton of difference between a 5th round pick and an UDFA, as far as their skill level goes.  Also a team has maybe 3-4 5th to 7th round draft picks in a given year, compared to maybe 12-15 UDFAs in a given year.  

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Shell has already worked out.  He's become a solid, if not spectacular, starting RT for this team who is young and has room to improve.  That is a solid outcome from a 5th round pick, or even a 4th round pick. 

Agreed, he’s been solid so far.  

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Wasn't he working with the scouts from the previous regime for his first draft? I think that's normally how it works when you have a GM change since there's so much work over the course of the year the scouts put in that can't be replicated.

I believe that the same scouting core had actually been with the Jets a long time.  Through the Tanny, Idzik and initial Mac years.,  They obviously were awful overall.  I thought Mac was fixing it, and 2018 looks good, but 2017 is looking completely awful. 

Hopefully they have a plan to draft well in 2019.  

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

I believe that the same scouting core had actually been with the Jets a long time.  Through the Tanny, Idzik and initial Mac years.,  They obviously were awful overall.  I thought Mac was fixing it, and 2018 looks good, but 2017 is looking completely awful. 

Pretty sure Idzik made some changes w/scouts after his 1st yr..

Don't forget the Jets & Texans Dir of College Scouting basically were traded for one another after this past draft..Gaine wanted the Jets guy and Mcc took the outgoing Texans guy...FYI Hogan and Ballard were buddies from their scouting days w/the Bears

May 11, 2018

The Jets just lost their college scouting director, Matt Bazirgan, to the Texans. Bazirgan will be Houston's director of player personnel. 

Now, the Texans' ex-college scouting director, Jon Carr, is coming to the Jets, to take that same job, filling the the vacancy left by Bazirgan's departure, according to the Houston Chronicle. 

The Texans revamped their front office under new general manager Brian Gaine, a former Jets scout. Gaine hired Patriots national scout James Liipfert to be his college scouting director, which meant Carr was out of a job. 

He quickly found a landing spot with the Jets, who are on their third college scouting director in as many years.

Last offseason, Rex Hogan left for a better job with the Colts -- vice president of player personnel. Hogan was one of Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan's initial hires in 2015. Bazirgan replaced Hogan last year as the Jets' college scouting director. 

Maccagnan has an extensive background in scouting. He was the Texans' college scouting director, from 2011-14, before the Jets gave him their general manager job. 

Carr was promoted to college scouting director in Houston after Maccagnan left for the Jets. In the three years before that, Carr was a national college scout with the Texans. So this is not the first time he has worked under Maccagnan. 

39 minutes ago, varjet said:

By Brian Costello

May 2, 2013 | 12:52am

New Jets general manager John Idzik has begun making some changes to the scouting department now that the NFL Draft is over.

The Jets will not renew the contracts of assistant director of college scouting Michael Davis and area scout Joe Bommarito, according to multiple sources.

Davis had been with the Jets for 16 years, the last five as assistant director of college scouting. He is also responsible for scouting the Southeast, including SEC and ACC schools.

Bommarito had been with the Jets for 12 years and was responsible for the West Coast.

The two technically still work for the Jets until the end of the month when their contracts will expire.

Published: May 15, 2013 at 08:24 a.m.

If it wasn't already clear, New York Jets general manager John Idzik has the juice in the organization. Rex Ryan's role appears diminished publicly when it comes to personnel decisions, and Idzik continues to re-make the front office.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Wednesday morning that the contracts were not renewed for assistant general manager Scott Cohen and director of football administration Ari Nissim, according to a source. Cohen was former GM Mike Tannenbaum's right-hand man. Nissim handled many of the Jets' contracts. Several scouts also were let go.

Breer notes that the post-draft shakeup was expected. Idzik is clearing room for space in the front office for guys who share his vision for an organization. The logical next question: Will Idzik clear room to find a head coach after the season?

UPDATE: USA Today's Mike Garafolo reported Wednesday morning that former Arizona Cardinals general manager Rod Graves will join the Jets' front office. His official role under Idzik is unclear, and the team has not confirmed it. 

38 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am not sure you can dismiss 2017 so quickly. Maye staying healthy is starting to present itself as an issue, but if he squares that away, there are 2 'long term' starters. Also, it is a bit early to write off Leggett and McGuire (esp. Leggett). After all it was a pick-em as to who to throw the TD to as Leggett was just as open as Herdon. If Maye can stay healthy, and Leggett becomes the #2 TE, it is still a pretty good draft.

Also, wasn't this the first year Heimerdinger was in his new role? I think the better drafting is a combination of:

1. Replaced the old scouts

2. Mac growing up a bit (too big of a reach on Hack, etc)

3. Hiemerdinger in new role.

In fact, if you throw out the first draft, 2016 and 2018 look pretty good; depending on how Leggett and Maye turn out, 2017 wasn't too bad either.

Re 2017, Stewart, Hansen, Donahue and likely Leggett were such catastrophically bad picks given who was passed over and what the Jets needed that it would be very hard to say that it was an OK draft even if Adams, Maye and Edwards are confirmed as good picks.  

I think the 2019 draft could be their most important in a long time.  They really need to hit it and not have any Stewarts with their two third round picks.  

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

I am not sure you can dismiss 2017 so quickly. Maye staying healthy is starting to present itself as an issue, but if he squares that away, there are 2 'long term' starters. Also, it is a bit early to write off Leggett and McGuire (esp. Leggett). After all it was a pick-em as to who to throw the TD to as Leggett was just as open as Herdon. If Maye can stay healthy, and Leggett becomes the #2 TE, it is still a pretty good draft.

Also, wasn't this the first year Heimerdinger was in his new role? I think the better drafting is a combination of:

1. Replaced the old scouts

2. Mac growing up a bit (too big of a reach on Hack, etc)

3. Hiemerdinger in new role.

In fact, if you throw out the first draft, 2016 and 2018 look pretty good; depending on how Leggett and Maye turn out, 2017 wasn't too bad either.

They picked 6th overall and we are hoping that they can get more than one starter out of the draft?  Color me unimpressed.  Leggett has not been impressive and hasn't exactly had a tough group in front of him.   I think the board was too high on McGuire, but he might be a nice rotational back.  IMO the hope for 2017 was that Jones or Clark turns into a starter or at least rotational CB.  Clark is on he practice squad and Jones hasn't been active, so I am not holding my breath.

I am losing faith in Maye becoming a long-term answer due to his constant injuries - since college and WHY he fell to the 2nd round. 

Lachlan IS THE TRUTH! All-Pro PUNTER in the making!

Jets haven't nailed that position since the 200th pick of the 8th round back in '93 with 2x All-Pro Craig Hentrich. Who never played a snap for the Jets :(

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They picked 6th overall and we are hoping that they can get more than one starter out of the draft?  Color me unimpressed.  Leggett has not been impressive and hasn't exactly had a tough group in front of him.   I think the board was too high on McGuire, but he might be a nice rotational back.  IMO the hope for 2017 was that Jones or Clark turns into a starter or at least rotational CB.  Clark is on he practice squad and Jones hasn't been active, so I am not holding my breath.

Picked 6th, yes, but if Maye can stay healthy and Leggett (who is basically a rookie as he missed his most of his rookie year) can be the #2 TE that would be 2/3 starters.

Also, he traded Calvin Pryor (yes, no longer in NFL) for DeMario Davis (who had a good year for us); traded Sheldon for a 2nd used in 2018 to get Darnold and Kearse (who had a good year for us); and he traded McDougle for Brooks (although Brooks is a JAG, McDougle is no longer in NFL).

You have to look at the complete package, drafts, trades, FA and UDFA signings. 

Not every pick works out, and although Mac does NOT have a good track record drafting WRs, he has had some success and seems to be trending up IMO.

9 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Not every pick works out, and although Mac does NOT have a good track record drafting WRs, he has had some success and seems to be trending up IMO.

+1

Some can't see the forest for the trees. 

I've been drawn more towards the "Anti" on Mac recently due to his whiffs on drafting (the Hack and Stewart/Hansen picks REALLY caused me to lose some faith) but he's also pulled some solid work in trades, FA signings, and contract structures (Jackie Davidson).

Well in 4 drafts he has solidified ILB and S and punter.  The three most important positions on a team in which you simply cannot get decent players in those positions.
He has also very shrewdly stocked up the offense side of the ball with a good oline and playmakers knowing full well that sooner or later he was going to draft a young franchise qb.  (This after making one of the worst QB picks in the history of the NFL)
The offensive line has been holding up decently the passed few weeks. Our offense defiantly falls short of a powerhouse but all things considered we have a decent team this season. Sorry Mac didn't build the team with the players you wanted but we are trending in the right direction now. Hack was a bad pick and Mac whiffed on that one this point has already been made.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

20 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Picked 6th, yes, but if Maye can stay healthy and Leggett (who is basically a rookie as he missed his most of his rookie year) can be the #2 TE that would be 2/3 starters.

Also, he traded Calvin Pryor (yes, no longer in NFL) for DeMario Davis (who had a good year for us); traded Sheldon for a 2nd used in 2018 to get Darnold and Kearse (who had a good year for us); and he traded McDougle for Brooks (although Brooks is a JAG, McDougle is no longer in NFL).

I can look at everything and still say eh.   There are a bunch of ifs in that paragraph.  Right now, Adams is the only one that looks good.  You can maybe count Maye, but I am probably not as high on him as most. It's nice to pretend this is Leggett's rookie year, but we did that with Smith and Hackenberg.  There is no guarantee that it is a horrid draft class, but just as much to indicate that it is. We are one year out and from 9 picks only 4 players are rostered - hope is McGuire makes it 5.  Only 3 have logged significant snaps and 3 are gone completely.  

We are talking about the draft class.  I am not adding in trades and UDFA, but if you do I'm still unimpressed.  He got 1 year good play at ILB.  No offense, but that is not particularly difficult. Richardson was a very good player and the 2nd was a very small part of getting Darnold.   Kearse was a throw-in that Seattle was probably going to cut.  He played well, but he probably could have been had for a 7th or off waivers a week later.  Brooks for McDougle is barely worth discussing. 

Total picture: What UDFA did he sign in 2017?  I don't remember any of consequence.  He did trade a 2018 5th for Robinson which didn't look so good for 2017, but maybe we will get something. His FA class was underwhelming.  Beachum was a bargain LT, but not particularly good and Claiborne was a nice signing albeit for only one year.  By no account was it a good offseason.  In hindsight people act happy because we ended up with Darnold, but we didn't even tank right.  Even with the trade up it was hardly a foregone conclusion.

I'm more than just a Mac basher.  I understand the rationale, but people can't blast picks like Vlad Ducasse and then pretend that Hackenberg was an understandable miss, or that there is much chance Leggett is a plus pick. 

I am losing faith in Maye becoming a long-term answer due to his constant injuries - since college and WHY he fell to the 2nd round. 

Jets haven't nailed that position since the 200th pick of the 8th round back in '93 with 2x All-Pro Craig Hentrich. Who never played a snap for the Jets 

Of course hentrich never played for the jets. They had to cut him for Louis Aguirre so we could hear them play Louis Louis in the stadium 12 friggin times a game every time he punted. That was too much to let go of !!

The 2018 draft also includes us trading away a 5th for Rashard Robinson who is only 23 years old and seems to be coming along.

If the 2016 draft class has shown us anything is that you need to wait at least three years to judge. 

The 2015 class was bad. 2016 class looks really good.

His last 2 drafts look promising. The only knock on Macc is now positional value in the draft. Aside from that, he seems pretty solid and is improving. 

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets haven't nailed that position since the 200th pick of the 8th round back in '93 with 2x All-Pro Craig Hentrich. Who never played a snap for the Jets :(

That’s why we have to give that class time. Maye may very well be an injury issue. And Adams could peak at just above average. 

Or Adams could be an all pro and Maye could be a solid starter. While Leggett, Jones and McGuire become serviceable. 

I could see both those scenarios playing out and one leads to an A/B grade while the other is a C/D grade. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can look at everything and still say eh.   There are a bunch of ifs in that paragraph.  Right now, Adams is the only one that looks good.  You can maybe count Maye, but I am probably not as high on him as most. It's nice to pretend this is Leggett's rookie year, but we did that with Smith and Hackenberg.  There is no guarantee that it is a horrid draft class, but just as much to indicate that it is. We are one year out and from 9 picks only 4 players are rostered - hope is McGuire makes it 5.  Only 3 have logged significant snaps and 3 are gone completely.  

We are talking about the draft class.  I am not adding in trades and UDFA, but if you do I'm still unimpressed.  He got 1 year good play at ILB.  No offense, but that is not particularly difficult. Richardson was a very good player and the 2nd was a very small part of getting Darnold.   Kearse was a throw-in that Seattle was probably going to cut.  He played well, but he probably could have been had for a 7th or off waivers a week later.  Brooks for McDougle is barely worth discussing. 

Total picture: What UDFA did he sign in 2017?  I don't remember any of consequence.  He did trade a 2018 5th for Robinson which didn't look so good for 2017, but maybe we will get something. His FA class was underwhelming.  Beachum was a bargain LT, but not particularly good and Claiborne was a nice signing albeit for only one year.  By no account was it a good offseason.  In hindsight people act happy because we ended up with Darnold, but we didn't even tank right.  Even with the trade up it was hardly a foregone conclusion.

I'm more than just a Mac basher.  I understand the rationale, but people can't blast picks like Vlad Ducasse and then pretend that Hackenberg was an understandable miss, or that there is much chance Leggett is a plus pick. 

First, it was last year's draft as we see from the Lee pick, sometimes it takes a few years; so nothing is certain. Secondly, I didn't say great, just okay. Finally, not fair to not talk trades; for example, this year we traded our 7th rounder for Anderson - that is a draft choice - that is to trade vs. draft.

Of course, Mac as the advantage of the previous 5 drafts sucking so bad. So the bar may be a little low, but to be fair, I think many people set the bar ridiculously high.

Not every pick (even 1st's) make it. Even 1sts around 6th - there have been a ton of busts league wide. So, picking 6th doesn't guarantee success. Remember the GHOST? Also, people here called Lee a bust in his first year. Adams and Leo sucked (but only because they didn't have INTs and Sacks. 

Not ready to call Mac a good (let alone great) GM. I am just saying that he has done some good things here and he appears to be improving - specifically around drafting (2017 my not be great, but it doesn't suck the way 2015 did).

18 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I’d be very curious to see an nfl wide comparison done in the same way as this article. I wonder where we stack up I have teams like the Steelers as way beyond our abilities to draft but it would be cool to send the comparison.

If the Jets can get haul like the Saints did in the 2017 draft 4 starters, OROTY, DROTY, starting Safety, and a starting Tackle in the 2019 draft it would be a wild ride next year.

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He also solidified QB and TE. Other than his first draft which was dependend on scouting form the previous regime, Mac has been solid. HE also has made nice trades.

14 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

First, it was last year's draft as we see from the Lee pick, sometimes it takes a few years; so nothing is certain. Secondly, I didn't say great, just okay. Finally, not fair to not talk trades; for example, this year we traded our 7th rounder for Anderson - that is a draft choice - that is to trade vs. draft.

Of course, Mac as the advantage of the previous 5 drafts sucking so bad. So the bar may be a little low, but to be fair, I think many people set the bar ridiculously high.

Not every pick (even 1st's) make it. Even 1sts around 6th - there have been a ton of busts league wide. So, picking 6th doesn't guarantee success. Remember the GHOST? Also, people here called Lee a bust in his first year. Adams and Leo sucked (but only because they didn't have INTs and Sacks. 

Not ready to call Mac a good (let alone great) GM. I am just saying that he has done some good things here and he appears to be improving - specifically around drafting (2017 my not be great, but it doesn't suck the way 2015 did).

You want to count Anderson?  Fine, but he will be a free agent in 2019.  That is 1 year vs. 4.  He has been a nice player for a 7th, but you only get to count what he does in 2018.  For the 2018 draft you could count Robinson because they traded the 5th for him.  Not sure how much any of that applies to 2017's draft.  

I don't think we disagree that much, I was just pointing out that we have to count on guys that have done nothing to get this draft to okay. 3-4-5 being gone one year in is not a good look.  Especially on a team with plenty of open roster spots.  

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

He also solidified QB and TE. Other than his first draft which was dependend on scouting form the previous regime, Mac has been solid. HE also has made nice trades.

TE is solidified?  The top 2 guys never took a snap coming into this year.  Herndon has looked decent lately, but has had some bad plays as well. I have hope, but c'mon.

If the Jets can get haul like the Saints did in the 2017 draft 4 starters, OROTY, DROTY, starting Safety, and a starting Tackle in the 2019 draft it would be a wild ride next year.

Right? Or half of that. Two starters and a solid reserve ST contributor oughta do it. lol

Archived