Do You Think The Bills Could Snatch Davis Webb Away From The Jets

BroadwayRay

I was just browsing the Bills fan board and there's a lot of chatter about them grabbing Webb off the Jets practice squad. Their QB situation is a disaster, so I'm surprised they haven't done this already. How does the waiver process work with the PS? If the Bills claim Webb, is there anything the Jets could do to block it? I don't want them to fix their QB mess at our expense.

They can claim him. I believe it is up to the player if he wants to accept but of course they usually would in order to get paid more and onto the 53-man roster.  However, since we are paying him pretty much full minimum salary for an active player, the financial incentive is not really there unless BUF makes a higher offer. 

It then comes down to what he wants to do.  We could also conceivably offer to bring him up to our roster, but I don't see that as likely and it really wouldn't matter since he's not going to be on the game-day roster anyway.  I don't think we can block the claim though even if we offer him a roster spot.  I believe it is the player's choice.

It's an interesting idea but you'd have to think Webb would take it with the Bills with a potential chance to play over being a number 3 here and mostly on the PS. He didn't play last year for the Gis either. I wonder how he's doing in terms of learning the offense and practicing. 

12 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I think if they do want him he'd be dumb not to go, with a chance to play.

I dunno. Have you seen the Bills offense? That's a dreadful situation. If I'm him I think I go the "groomed backup" who eventually gets a shot to start with a respectable team over walking into the worst offensive situation in the NFL where I'm virtually guaranteed to fail.

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

He would probably go, even if he was making more here because he would get to play but the situation there is not any better than here as far as him being the top dog. 

Josh Allen is out for three weeks or more with a partially torn elbow ligament. He'd get more starts than he'd get here. But it would be nice to keep him as a young backup QB. I don't see McCown being here next year.

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Did we put Woodhead on the practice squad? 

He was flat out cut by Rex in 2010 for Clowney, IIRC, and was signed by the Pats a week or two later, and 1 day prior to, playing the Jets on MNF.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

They can claim him. I believe it is up to the player if he wants to accept but of course they usually would in order to get paid more and onto the 53-man roster.  However, since we are paying him pretty much full minimum salary for an active player, the financial incentive is not really there unless BUF makes a higher offer. 

It then comes down to what he wants to do.  We could also conceivably offer to bring him up to our roster, but I don't see that as likely and it really wouldn't matter since he's not going to be on the game-day roster anyway.  I don't think we can block the claim though even if we offer him a roster spot.  I believe it is the player's choice.

I'm pretty confident Davis Webb will not leave the Jets as he likely will be the back-up QB next season.

2 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Josh Allen is out for three weeks or more with a partially torn elbow ligament. He'd get more starts than he'd get here. But it would be nice to keep him as a young backup QB. I don't see McCown being here next year.

The failure of Petty and Hackenberg to even develop as solid #2 QBs has put the Jets in a rough spot in terms of QB depth. It only puts a HIGHER priority in keeping a good OLine to protect the crown jewel in tact because there is no dependable #2 QB after this year. I'd like to keep Webb as a long term #2 for Sam - the modern day Jim Sorgi if you will. 

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

I was just browsing the Bills fan board and there's a lot of chatter about them grabbing Webb off the Jets practice squad. Their QB situation is a disaster, so I'm surprised they haven't done this already. How does the waiver process work with the PS? If the Bills claim Webb, is there anything the Jets could do to block it? I don't want them to fix their QB mess at our expense.

The Aholes had McCarron and traded him off to the Raiders. Would have been in great shape if they just kept him.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Yes I believe that is the case.

It's up to the player to accept, but it MANDATES the team to keep him ACTIVE on the 53-man roster for the rest of the year - i.e. cutting a current player for the signing and whether to keep player ALL year. If the Bills were to poach him they would have to keep him over Peterman/Derek Anderson as the #2 for the rest of the year - the salary almost cancels itself out. Allen will return - no surgery - so Webb MAY get some playing time, no assurance of that, and would have to uproot to Western NY. 

If I were him, I'd take the opportunity, but I prefer he stay on the Jets and be groomed as a long-term #2 QB for 2019 and possibly beyond. 

51 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

NEVER underestimate the IMPORTANCE of a QUALITY Back Up QB, especially if he's on the NY Jets. 

Thanks for the buttfumble and randomly capitalized words.

Just to clarify: your answer to "not underestimating a quality backup" is to overestimate davis webb?

Sean Payton has Teddy Bridgewater as a backup. I think we can do better than davis webb.

My point stands, the Bills can have him.

10 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

The Aholes had McCarron and traded him off to the Raiders. Would have been in great shape if they just kept him.

One Bills fan posted at "Buffalo Rumblings" that he'd be willing to trade Josh Allen for Webb. Boy, those Bills fans have no mercy. They give up on players at the drop of a hat. Not loyal and patient like us Jets fans. ?

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Thanks for the buttfumble and randomly capitalized words.

Just to clarify: your answer to "not underestimating a quality backup" is to overestimate davis webb?

Sean Payton has Teddy Bridgewater as a backup. I think we can do better than davis webb.

My point stands, the Bills can have him.

YoU ArE W3LCoWe.

And Read again: IT's not UNdeR3StimatinG The IMPORTANCE of a QUALITY B@CKuP QB.

Discern the difference. 

1 minute ago, Bocajetfan said:

Rookie year 2008 IR. 2009 cut and signed to practice squad.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Did we put Woodhead on the practice squad? 

Actually thought he was signed by the Pats after he was cut. Googled him and saw he was signed to practice squad and poached from there

6 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Actually thought he was signed by the Pats after he was cut. Googled him and saw he was signed to practice squad and poached from there

Wrong, he was never "Poached" from our PS. And as it was stated before:

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

He was flat out cut by Rex in 2010 for Clowney, IIRC, and was signed by the Pats a week or two later, and 1 day prior to, playing the Jets on MNF.

Link to Source:

Woodhead saw his first regular season action on October 25, 2009. In the 38–0 win over the Oakland Raiders, Woodhead rushed three times for 24 yards.[15] Overall, he finished the 2009 season with 15 carries for 64 rushing yards and eight receptions for 87 receiving yards.[16]

Woodhead was released by the Jets on September 14, 2010.[17]

New England Patriots[edit]

170px-Danny_Woodhead_2011.jpg

Woodhead with the Patriots in 2011.

Woodhead was signed by the New England Patriots on September 18, 2010, one day before the team's Week 2 matchup against the Jets.

51 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

One Bills fan posted at "Buffalo Rumblings" that he'd be willing to trade Josh Allen for Webb. Boy, those Bills fans have no mercy. They give up on players at the drop of a hat. Not loyal and patient like us Jets fans. ?

It was probably Rover Sports.

Archived