Jets Releasing Terrelle Pryor...

AbstraKt

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Barkus said:

They probably have an agreement with Pryor. They are too banged up to carry all these injured players. He is not hurt enough to be put on IR but they need healthy bodies at WR. Look for Burnett to be added to active roster.

That's what I thought too. Could be one of those cuts that only last a few days. Opens up a spot for Burnett, then you can bring Pryor back after the game. Pryor's not subject to waivers as a vested vet, so it's possible he already knows he is coming back on Monday.

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

That's what I thought too. Could be one of those cuts that only last a few days. Opens up a spot for Burnett, then you can bring Pryor back after the game. Pryor's not subject to waivers as a vested vet, so it's possible he already knows he is coming back on Monday.

I'm hoping this is the case.  He has something to offer.

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He's behind only Robby with TD catches, has the same amount of catches as Robby, and is near the top of the WRs in terms of yardage despite getting little to no in game reps compared to the other guys.  

People are going to justify this because he complained once about being frustrated about his role because he feels like he's made plays in limited action (which he has), but if we sign Rishard Matthews I hope you guys all know that he has an attitude issue 10x worse than Pryor.

I'm not a fan of the move.  As much as I like Deontay Burnnett from his USC days, he's not going to make any difference whatsoever.  There is a better chance of him being another Scotty McKnight than anything else of relevance.

I'm going to justify it because he's not good.  I couldn't care less about what he thought about his role in the offense.  I respect your opinion, and not saying you are necessarily doing this, but people confuse flashy with good. 

Pryor makes on occasional flashy play.  I don't think he's got any impact on Darnold's development.  For every crazy catch he has made, he's also cut a route short or half a**ed a route when if he thought the ball was going elsewhere.

I didn't mind having him as a 4th WR, but I don't think this has any negative impact on Darnold.

I am not sure I understand this one.  We have a receiver on the cheap, and on pace for close to 700 yards from a rookie QB, just to let him walk?  

Personally, I am not a huge fan of his, and I understand he is hurt, however, I would think we could generate at least a pick out of him.  

9 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

That's not true at all.  He's made some throws to Pryor where Pryor had to make some plays on the ball.

Anyway, this seems like a stupid move.

Why is it not true? How many times is Darnold going through his progressions to find Pryor?  Pryor gets a designed target.  That doesn't mean Darnold trusts him.  Darnold scans the field for Enunwa and Kearse.  He takes shots to Anderson and Pryor.  There is a big difference.

Not a fan of the move because Pryor is an ATHLETIC 6'4" Red Zone threat - a great developmental tool for Darnold. He's had a good line thus far this season: 

Games Receiving Rushing Total Yds    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb

2018 29 NYJ   1 6 0 22 14 235 16.8 2 44 2.3 39.2 63.6%

6 games, 14 Receptiosn on 22 targets for 235 yards and 16.8 Y/Rec!! w/2 TDs.

The fact they flat out cut him only validate the gripes from his former Redskins teammates that Pryor's "locker room attitude" wasn't the greatest; he's burnt some bridges where he's been. There's more to the story than the fact the Jets "need a roster spot." As others stated, there were better candidates to sacrifice than Pryor.  

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm going to justify it because he's not good.  I couldn't care less about what he thought about his role in the offense.  I respect your opinion, and not saying you are necessarily doing this, but people confuse flashy with good. 

Pryor makes on occasional flashy play.  I don't think he's got any impact on Darnold's development.  For every crazy catch he has made, he's also cut a route short or half a**ed a route when if he thought the ball was going elsewhere.

I didn't mind having him as a 4th WR, but I don't think this has any negative impact on Darnold.

I can agree but to address the bolded.. I do think Pryor being absent in this particular situation will  have a negative impact but thats simply because he will have nobody else to look to besides Anderson and Kearse.

Anderson has to get major separation in this game and Kearse lining up outside sucks for multiple reasons

Xavier Rhodes and Co. are good corners.

they need to put Kearse in the slot and let him punish the back up slot corner. That’s how I feel. Pryor on the outside would of been nice because it opens up Kearse so much more. Now who plays out there?

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I can agree but to address the bolded.. I do think Pryor being absent in this particular situation will  have a negative impact but thats simply because he will have nobody else to look to besides Anderson and Kearse.

Anderson has to get major separation in this game and Kearse lining up outside sucks for multiple reasons

Xavier Rhodes and Co. are good corners.

they need to put Kearse in the slot and let him punish the back up slot corner. That’s how I feel. Pryor on the outside would of been nice because it opens up Kearse so much more. Now who plays out there?

Wasn’t Pryor inactive for this game

16 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I would think that cap relief was not a concern. Who knows?

He was on a 1 year deal. Cap had NOTHING to do as a material factor in this move. 

I think he was more of a locker room poison than we know about - aside from his public gripes regarding his "misuse in the offense" a few games ago and having admitted to not fully finishing routes. 

It just sucks because he was 6'4"!!!! That's a GREAT target for Darnold, as we've already witnessed. 

At this point, bring up Burnett and SIGN Auden Tate to the PS. to develop as a future #4. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

People calling him a locker room poison are neglecting the fact that the Jets were open to bringing him back. Why mention that?

I think it's likely a combination of factors. He is out for a couple of weeks, we have decent vet depth at WR, he is on a 1 year deal so it's not like he is part of our long term plans, he is given up on a couple of routes early, he has complained a bit,  he has a history of being a problem in the locker room....

You add all that up and the Jets probably felt like it was worth the risk to cut him. If he was healthy and ready to play this week, he wouldn't have been cut so it's clearly NOT just a locker room issue. 

Managing an NFL roster is not always easy. 

Kind of surprising tbh. I thought he was slowly coming along in the offense these past few weeks and hoped he might be a contributor going forward. Big targets with his athletic ability are hard to find. He does have an annoying tendency for injuries so maybe that played a part? Hopefully they will add a replacement that can contribute or bring him back before someone snatches him up.

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

He played really well in the preseason for the Titans. I mean reaaally well. Idk why they cut him.

Was a Titan fan and media favorite, they wanted him back, but he chose the Jets.

"Deontay Burnett was a popular pick to hit the Titans practice squad after the team waived him Saturday. Burnett instead will go to the Jets according to Terry McCormick of Titan Insider.

Burnett had 11 receptions on 11 targets in the preseason. His ability to get open with clean routes stood out in camp, but his inability to play outside or on special teams made it difficult for the team to keep him. 

He’ll join former college teammate Sam Darnold in New York." 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think it's likely a combination of factors. He is out for a couple of weeks, we have decent vet depth at WR, he is on a 1 year deal so it's not like he is part of our long term plans, he is given up on a couple of routes early, he has complained a bit,  he has a history of being a problem in the locker room....

You add all that up and the Jets probably felt like it was worth the risk to cut him. If he was healthy and ready to play this week, he wouldn't have been cut so it's clearly NOT just a locker room issue. 

Managing an NFL roster is not always easy. 

Cutting him today suggests that he is coming back because teams won’t have a chance to grab him for this week

28 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Two things come to mind. Either he is more hurt than people think or they are making a move for a more permanent solution, like a Cooper

Or he did something really stupid this past week that we dont know about

I think TE rookie Chris Herndon can replace Pryor in the offensive sub-packages because he's the next receiving option that comes to close to size - 6'4" - and athleticism to what Pryor offered. He's more in the long-term plans the Pryor was at this stage. 

Herndon has shown good speed and had that highlight leaping reception over Indy's CB. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Then they wouldn’t mention that they would be interested in bringing him back

Sure they would if they wanted good PR and not let anyone know there was a problem.  And lets not forget that the Jets have said nothing, its Shefter saying they might be interested in bringing him back

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I think TE rookie Chris Herndon can replace Pryor in the offensive sub-packages because he's the next receiving option that comes to close to size - 6'4" - and athleticism to what Pryor offered. He's more in the long-term plans the Pryor was at this stage. 

Herndon has shown good speed and had that highlight leaping reception over Indy's CB. 

They need to scheme him open over the middle often. Vikings do not defend the middle of the field as well as other areas.

I mean it’s gotta be a perfect game plan from Bates and perfect performance from the players to even imaginably score 21.

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why would they cut the best QB on our roster?  Oh wait a minute.  For once that type of joke isn't the case.

Now they are Bills jokes.  Seen a couple of comments on twitter that he would be best QB on Bills roster.

Archived