Jets Releasing Terrelle Pryor...

AbstraKt

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Cherone Peake have a nice TD catch in preseason from Darnold? He's got good size & the way Herndon & Leggett are coming on maybe Bates feels they can bring up Burnett, slide him into the slot giving Kearse some breathers, then have Robbie & Peake on the outside. 

2 TE sets would have Kearse & Anderson out there anyway. I see us trying to go as big as we can using TEs, and flashing Powell out of the backfield, even lining him up as a WR now & then.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

There you have it folks.  No trade.  No fun FA acquisition. 

An undersized, slow, UDFA is going to be Pryors replacement.

I'm sure there is no possible way this could go wrong.

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Now that he's healthy I'd like to see Charone Peake have a chance.  He's almost as tall as Pryor and I think he'd add something out there besides just being a ST gunner...

I like Peake, but like Dozier, I don't see HOW he still remains on the active roster considering his lack of noticeable contributions, which are few to nil. 

22 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Didn't Cherone Peake have a nice TD catch in preseason from Darnold? He's got good size & the way Herndon & Leggett are coming on maybe Bates feels they can bring up Burnett, slide him into the slot giving Kearse some breathers, then have Robbie & Peake on the outside. 

2 TE sets would have Kearse & Anderson out there anyway. I see us trying to go as big as we can using TEs, and flashing Powell out of the backfield, even lining him up as a WR now & then.

It was Bridgewater who tossed Peake that TD.

Peake has the "tools," but hasn't shown a lick and has been very injury prone.  

He's a JAG a best.  Old in NFL terms and oft injured to boot.  He's a bad locker room guy by history and he even complained a bit while with us.  Never liked the guy in the first place and if it's true that he admitted to dogging his routes early on then def good riddance.  

4th WR is the right spot of a young hungry guy not an old injured guy.  Addition by subtraction imho.  

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets could try to re-sign WR Terrelle Pryor in a couple of weeks, when his groin injury should be healed, but there's no guarantee they'll get him back. I spoke to Pryor on Thursday, and he didn't seem happy with his playing time. "Throw me the ball and I'll make it happen," he said. A team doesn't cut a $4.5 million receiver over a two-week injury unless it's willing to live without him. Clearly, the Jets are OK with the prospect of losing him. He's been a contributor when on the field, but he has battled injuries since he signed — a source of frustration for the organization. He's also a high-maintenance player, but this is more about the injury than his attitude.

To replace WR Terrelle Pryor, who was released, the Jets promoted rookie WR Deontay Burnett from the practice squad. This will give them five receivers for tomorrow against the Vikings. Burnett is a former USC teammate of QB Sam Darnold. Their most memorable game was the 2017 Rose Bowl, when he caught 13 passes for 164 yards and three touchdowns against Penn State — the game that vaulted Darnold into national prominence.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Burnett promoted

He has been practicing with the team since the start of the season, must be he showed the coaches something during that time.  He caught all 11 targets in pre season with Tennessee.

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

To replace WR Terrelle Pryor, who was released, the Jets promoted rookie WR Deontay Burnett from the practice squad. This will give them five receivers for tomorrow against the Vikings. Burnett is a former USC teammate of QB Sam Darnold. Their most memorable game was the 2017 Rose Bowl, when he caught 13 passes for 164 yards and three touchdowns against Penn State — the game that vaulted Darnold into national prominence.

Hopefully that chemistry carries into the NFL!

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

He's behind only Robby with TD catches, has the same amount of catches as Robby, and is near the top of the WRs in terms of yardage despite getting little to no in game reps compared to the other guys.  

People are going to justify this because he complained once about being frustrated about his role because he feels like he's made plays in limited action (which he has), but if we sign Rishard Matthews I hope you guys all know that he has an attitude issue 10x worse than Pryor.

I'm not a fan of the move.  As much as I like Deontay Burnett from his USC days, he's not going to make any difference whatsoever.  There is a better chance of him being another Scotty McKnight than anything else of relevance.

This. 

i really don't like this! I am a big Pryor supporter and believe he was just beginning to show us his impact. I don't have the back story of course, but it looked like he was making an honest effort to be a team player and his talent is undeniable. 

This sucks! 

2 hours ago, Barkus said:

They probably have an agreement with Pryor. They are too banged up to carry all these injured players. He is not hurt enough to be put on IR but they need healthy bodies at WR. Look for Burnett to be added to active roster.

Really hope this is the case. He was just starting to contribute. Really makes no sense to just dangle him out there and lose any rights to retaining him. He’s a big play waiting to happen. 

8AC3813E-2D11-46EB-9494-9D3E790263EA.gif

24 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

He has at torn groin, doubt anyone will be picking him up. Lets not make him the second coming of Randy Moss.

He doesn't have to be the second coming of Randy Moss to be important to this team.

If no one else signs him, and we sign him again on Monday, then I'll say bullet dodged, but make no mistake, this was a risky move.

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

He doesn't have to be the second coming of Randy Moss to be important to this team.

If no one else signs him, and we sign him again on Monday, then I'll say bullet dodged, but make no mistake, this was a risky move.

I think the groin injury will prevent other teams from signing him. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up needing surgery.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

I think the groin injury will prevent other teams from signing him. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up needing surgery.

How did you glean that from an injury that's expected to be healed in a couple weeks?

It's wishful thinking that he'll be available, if, at all, we want him back. Some team with an extra roster spot could think it worth it to hold him if they expect him to heal soon.

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Why is it not true? How many times is Darnold going through his progressions to find Pryor?  Pryor gets a designed target.  That doesn't mean Darnold trusts him.  Darnold scans the field for Enunwa and Kearse.  He takes shots to Anderson and Pryor.  There is a big difference.

lol  you have very little idea of where Pryor is in the progression of any given play. This is one of the sillier arguments I've seen on here lately. Even with your points, Enunwa is out which would bring him closer to being the hot read. Pryor has been getting more touches every week and there was a drive last week that Pryor had the two or 3 biggest plays. Then he scored the TD. 

Whether or not you like Pryor is whatever. The idea that Darnold wasn't getting comfortable with him or he wasn't helping darn old is thin man. 

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

There's GOT to be more to this story. Seems like they had so many other options.

He was not well liked by his teammates in both Cleveland and Washington.  Obviously, the coaches there didn't like him much either.  He must be a massive jerk-off both on and off the field.  Just speculating.  I'm thinking that a trade is coming our way because I doubt that the coaching staff believes that Burnett can replace Pryor's skills on the field.  I don't know, but there is clearly more to this than we know.

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I'm very surprised by this unless he is more of a D-bag than any of us knows.  Something about the way his ex-teammates from Washington treated him preseason would seem to suggest that this might be the case.

He wasn't well liked in Cleveland either.  

Maybe there is something more to Pryor that we just don't know about... Cleveland didn't bring him back after a career year. He only lasted one (sub par) season in Washington... then they were ready to lay him out in camp this year. Bowles seemed extra agitated about his injury situation during preseason, and now this. Could be nothing, but he's too physically talented for teams to just give up on him like this.

On the flip side, I like that we are giving Dontay a shot over other FAs. He has great chemistry with Sam, I'm eager to see if it translates to the NFL.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I consider myself a Pryor fan, and this is disappointing. We don’t have a replacement with his size and radius.

Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. I'm the same way. I seriously hope the plan is to bring him back.  I don't know much about his replacement, but I would think he has value as a backup QB as well.  I don't like it. 

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He was not well liked by his teammates in both Cleveland and Washington.  Obviously, the coaches there didn't like him much either.  He must be a massive jerk-off both on and off the field.  Just speculating.  I'm thinking that a trade is coming our way because I doubt that the coaching staff believes that Burnett can replace Pryor's skills on the field.  I don't know, but there is clearly more to this than we know.

Or they just don't like him ala Jeremy kerley 

He was DESPISED by his teammates in both Cleveland and Washington.  Obviously, the coaches there didn't like him much either.  He must be a massive jerk-off both on and off the field.  Just speculating.  I'm thinking that a trade is coming our way because I doubt that the coaching staff believes that Burnett can replace Pryor's skills on the field.  I don't know, but there is clearly more to this than we know.

Beat me to it... There has to be something about him that rubs folks the wrong way.

Time for our TEs to step up as the big targets and Burnett gets his shot.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Archived