Jets Releasing Terrelle Pryor...

AbstraKt

Just now, Jet Nut said:

OK, enough.  Almost 3% of your posts are you patting yourself on the back because technically Pryor is the 3rd QB.  Got it. My point was hes not like a real number 3, a regular QB, but forget it, lets keep telling everyone how smart you are.  

Wouldn't it be easier too just admit you were wrong and say "My bad". 

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Just wanna clear something up. As I recall, Pryor's feet got tripped up on that play and he couldn't/wouldn't recover. He didn't just up and decide to stop running the route.

Looked like he lost the ball and didnt go all out for it.  Dont think his feet had anything to do with it

36 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You think a fan can't watch a play and understand what the progressions of the routes are?  If you can't tell, even generally speaking, then it's not worth discussing with you.

You say I'm making a silly argument, while exposing you have little to no grasp of what you are watching if you can't grasp the basic fundamentals of route combinations and field progression.

Your point is fair enough about fans having a basic grasp of what it looks like the route progression may be, but the truth is we don't know. We think we know. Of course sometimes we can tell but There are many aspects of a play and lots of it is create illusions.

You said something along the lines of Pryor only catches plays that were designed to go to him. That may be true on the one handed TD catch he made, but not on every reception he had. I'll even say that my argument possesses the same amount of conjecture as yours.I'll give you that. The only difference is the onus would be the responsibility of the original claimant. I maintain that Pryor has been a solid outlet for Darmold and was improving weekly. That is my point. That is why this blows.

That being said, I don't think you need to immediately write someone off who disagrees with you. how are we going to become the good friends we're destined to be that way? lol

I am a Macc fan and I'm a Pryor fan overall.  I think writing off a 6'5" WR who can do what he does with the argument that he somehow doesn't help Darnold during his rookie campaign is silly. That's what I'm saying. And it's worth discussing with me. waaaaaaah :( 

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

You ask a big flippen homer her opinion?   I'm afraid to say much, but I'm excited he has a chance.  

I love Tay, I've mentioned before, he's undersized but a very hard worker, a football player with  sticky hands, runs great routes and the first WR to arrive for practice, last to leave. Worked extra hours with Sam.  Smart player.  Reported many times that he could be found catching from that ball machine (forgot the name!) long after everyone else was gone.  

"Big Play Tay"

http://www.stack.com/a/how-usc-receiver-deontay-burnett-forged-some-of-the-strongest-hands-in-the-2018-nfl-draft

Looking forward to it

Not sure why some are worked up. They gave him a shot and it didn't work out.

In all likely hood he was demanding the ball in the huddle (or something) and to protect Darnold, they let him go. Also, wasn't he the one who basically cost Darnold two INTs? Hopefully, our TEs will step up in the Red Zone. He was likely gone next year anyway and they needed the body. And with the secondary banged up and RBs they probably didn't want to let Burris or Cannon go.

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Teams in this league very frequently cut/waive players without saying they'd be interested in having them back. The "political" thing to say is, "we wish him well".

Yes and truthfully, we are just speculating. Could be they bring him back when there is roster room and he is closer to being healthy.  But he can go wherever he wants. No idea if his contract had offset language either.  

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

You're still on that one pass from game two huh? The one where he came out to the press and owned it the same day it happened? It's one play man.  has he done that since? I'd say Anderson's two drive killing fumbles would be more worthy of fans ire. 

yes he can be an emergency third QB which makes it much more palatable to carry two QB's. Do you not remember Brad Smith or even Tom Tupa? 

I'm slamming the fact that we cut him but, actually yeah, he did.  In fact, he literally did it the very next week against the Browns and I wanted to strangle him for it because if the DB didn't drop the pass, it was going to be picked off for 6.  More than one beat reporter called him out during and after the game for it.

This has Dez Bryant, Jeremey Shockey diva like scenario written all over it, keep your young QB as far away from these types of WR’s UNTIL he is 100% established as THE MAN then bring in anyone you want, fall in line, or get sent packing like the Pats do.

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'm slamming the fact that we cut him but, actually yeah, he did.  In fact, he literally did it the very next week against the Browns and I wanted to strangle him for it because if the DB didn't drop the pass, it was going to be picked off for 6.  More than one beat reporter called him out during and after the game for it.

Interesting. I literally don't remember that. I believe it, I just don't remember it. Straaaaange 

It's really easy to get bogged down in specific details, but I think my point is simply that he was improving and having a try impact on the games. I would have liked to see that continue. He has rare size and ability and was gotten for a very good price. I don't know the behind the scenes and I'm sure there is more to the story. I just don't like it.   

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Interesting. I literally don't remember that. I believe it, I just don't remember it. Straaaaange 

It's really easy to get bogged down in specific details, but I think my point is simply that he was improving and having a try impact on the games. I would have liked to see that continue. He has rare size and ability and was gotten for a very good price. I don't know the behind the scenes and I'm sure there is more to the story. I just don't like it.   

He had ONE game that some are talking about, five catches against the Colts. 

After the Fins game he had one catch against the Browns, no catches against the Jags and one against the Broncos.  

Hes not that good to get people this riled up over

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He had ONE game that some are talking about, five catches against the Colts. 

After the Fins game he had one catch against the Browns, no catches against the Jags and one against the Broncos.  

Hes not that good to get people this riled up over

I can't speak for anyone else but my issue is this. He has been getting more and more involved in the offense every week. The game you speak of just happens to be the most recent one and a game where he was a big part of success where Sam was in a shoot out with andrew Luck and won. 5 catches and a td. 

I hear everyone who wants to get younger guys involved and all that. Generally I'm the same way and really love how we've gone from slow old guys on their second and third contracts to young fast guys who have good attitudes for the most part. The problem is that Pryor has that size and athletic ability to truly aid a young QB. I will say I have no idea what kind of teammate he is but it seemed like he was making efforts to be a team guy. Running over to Winters to let him spike the ball after his Denver TD is a positive move from my point of view. I've also seen him blocking well downfield on a couple of occasions. Something not really seen here since the 2010 Cothery, Edwards Jets. That's an important wrinkle that gets overlooked a lot of the time. 

I'll say that I don't trust Todd bowles and feel like this is a move not based on athletic ability or on the field play. If this was a coach who was strong with his personnel, I'd ride with it quietly.  I just see this as a dumb and unnecessary move at a bad time. I am interested in what Burnett can do though.  

Oh....  And he's a QB too  lmao!! 

55 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I can't speak for anyone else but my issue is this. He has been getting more and more involved in the offense every week. The game you speak of just happens to be the most recent one and a game where he was a big part of success where Sam was in a shoot out with andrew Luck and won. 5 catches and a td. 

I hear everyone who wants to get younger guys involved and all that. Generally I'm the same way and really love how we've gone from slow old guys on their second and third contracts to young fast guys who have good attitudes for the most part. The problem is that Pryor has that size and athletic ability to truly aid a young QB. I will say I have no idea what kind of teammate he is but it seemed like he was making efforts to be a team guy. Running over to Winters to let him spike the ball after his Denver TD is a positive move from my point of view. I've also seen him blocking well downfield on a couple of occasions. Something not really seen here since the 2010 Cothery, Edwards Jets. That's an important wrinkle that gets overlooked a lot of the time. 

I'll say that I don't trust Todd bowles and feel like this is a move not based on athletic ability or on the field play. If this was a coach who was strong with his personnel, I'd ride with it quietly.  I just see this as a dumb and unnecessary move at a bad time. I am interested in what Burnett can do though.  

Oh....  And he's a QB too  lmao!! 

Not really how I see it.  He was invisible for three games and caught 5 passes in a one game after Enunwa went down.  Yes, he produced more than the non existent numbers he put up over three weeks but thats not saying much when over 3 games he managed two catches.  

Hes a jag, anyone can find a WR as productive as Pryor has been.  And one that doesnt think he is and should be targeted as a number one.  We dont need this nitwit on a team with a young, developing QB.

I doubt he'll be back even though a rumor he will. He's a good enough receiver to have a role in our offense. But my guess is he did not fit in personally in the locker room. He didn't either in Wash. He's also made a few complaints about things and I doubt the org was crazy about it. If me I would not have cut him. 

I'm in indifferent about the move. He is out at least 2 weeks and I don't think we were going to sign him in 2019. So keeping him on the roster gives us at most 8 games with Pryor. Enunwa is likely back in 5 weeks. So, we are literally arguing over 3 weeks. But on the other hand, for the next two weeks, we will have some actual receivers instead of going bare bones. 

Who cares that he owned it after the whole world saw that he dogged it.  He dogged it and it was a key play.  
When he does what Anderson does and has done I'll give him more of a pass, not that anyone is condoning Andersons fumbles.  And theres a huge difference between getting hit and losing the ball and dogging it.  Just theres a difference between with Brad Smith was and Pryor.  Brad Smith played some WC, some QB.  Pryor hasnt played a down as a QB.
None of this matters.  If the Jets want him on the team he'll be resigned.  If not theres something going on and hes not going to be resigned.  

I hear ya man. I really do. I just disagree. Here’s an idea..

Lets get our I told ya so fingers ready for after the game huh?

Let’s go jets!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

23 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Not sure why some are worked up. They gave him a shot and it didn't work out.

In all likely hood he was demanding the ball in the huddle (or something) and to protect Darnold, they let him go. Also, wasn't he the one who basically cost Darnold two INTs? Hopefully, our TEs will step up in the Red Zone. He was likely gone next year anyway and they needed the body. And with the secondary banged up and RBs they probably didn't want to let Burris or Cannon go.

Yeah, no.  Speculation without proof is a crazy thing.

You saw today why the Jets were shuffling things at WR.  There's no one after Kearse and Anderson w/ Enunwa and Pryor out.  Peake and Roberts should not be playing WR.  Pryor will be back.

20 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Yeah, no.  Speculation without proof is a crazy thing.

You saw today why the Jets were shuffling things at WR.  There's no one after Kearse and Anderson w/ Enunwa and Pryor out.  Peake and Roberts should not be playing WR.  Pryor will be back.

Pryor was out this week no matter what with the injury; the release has nothing to do with today  - as far as speculation - this site is mostly speculation; considering that he has been bouncing around teams and there were reports on him not being happy with the number of balls he was getting (about 2 weeks back) isn't out of line. They took a chance on a 1 year rental; the guy was going to miss the next few weeks anyway, but it has to be something drastic for them to eat his 5 million and not wait for him to get healthy.

45 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Pryor was out this week no matter what with the injury; the release has nothing to do with today  - as far as speculation - this site is mostly speculation; considering that he has been bouncing around teams and there were reports on him not being happy with the number of balls he was getting (about 2 weeks back) isn't out of line. They took a chance on a 1 year rental; the guy was going to miss the next few weeks anyway, but it has to be something drastic for them to eat his 5 million and not wait for him to get healthy.

Yes, with Enunwa down, they needed another WR.  He'll be back.

Have a feeling we bring someone in early this week.

Let’s hope so. I hope it’s Pryor. lol

So the thought of any JAG doing what he could do was proven incorrect today. Pryor was out no matter what so that much doesn’t matter but nfl catches are not a given and Pryor can catch. And he can run.
Not anyone can do that.

21 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I hear ya man. I really do. I just disagree. Here’s an idea..

Lets get our I told ya so fingers ready for after the game huh?

Let’s go jets!!!

Its cool to disagree, no problem there.

As for the I told you so stuff, Pryor wasnt playing either way so not in play

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its cool to disagree, no problem there.

As for the I told you so stuff, Pryor wasnt playing either way so not in play

Agreed, but the replacement production is still in play. ? 

it was defniantely an issue yesterday. Peake and (I believe) burnett had dropped passes that Pryor more than likely would have had. Its tough to nail down of course, but I'm sincerely worried about the bottom of our WR corp having a similar impact as Pryor would. 

Peak's value is on specials and Robertson is at the best PR we've had since Leon Washington. They have a place on the team but I don't see them really stepping up into the regular WR rotation. It's not as easy as it looks to get quality production. That's one of the reasons I never understood the Bowles dislike for Kerley.  Solid player who caught almost everything thrown to him. Sucked as a PR. 

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No he didnt.  Not even close

Was that him that had a dropped pass at the end there? I couldn't quite tell and don't have time to look it up with all the time I'm wasting posting the question here. lol 

19 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Anybody notice how many reps he got?  I only noticed him a few times

I only saw him once and I'm not even really sure it was him with that dropped pass late in the game. I never bought into the idea that Pryor was cut because he was flashing in practice and thought it highly unlikely that he would come in and light it up. 

I would definitely have expected him to catch the pass thrown his way though.  It was a weird game yesterday. Lots and Lots of sloppiness on all units.  

23 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I only saw him once and I'm not even really sure it was him with that dropped pass late in the game. I never bought into the idea that Pryor was cut because he was flashing in practice and thought it highly unlikely that he would come in and light it up. 

I would definitely have expected him to catch the pass thrown his way though.  It was a weird game yesterday. Lots and Lots of sloppiness on all units.  

The wind was bad yesterday Powell went down and that stopped our running game as I think Crowell was nursing an injury all week. 

Archived