Jets Decision to Waive Pryor a Curious one

JetNation

IMG_7506-1.jpg

So, who saw that coming?  In a surprise move, the Jets are set to release wide receiver Terrelle Pryor who his nursing a tear in his groin, further depleting a Jets wide receiver corps that’s without Quincy Enunwa (high ankle sprain) and had to hold Robby Anderson out of practice earlier this week with a balky hamstring.

The move was reported by NFL insider Adam Schefter who said the Jets may look to bring him back in a couple of weeks once he’s healed up, but the validity of that has to be called in to question based on the fact that the Jets let Pryor go in the first place.

While in the midst of developing a young quarterback, why release a receiver with whom he is building some rapport and has big play ability?  The team won’t say so publicly, and this is pure speculation, but something is rotten in Denmark.

Considering the fact that cornerback Juston Burris has been a healthy scratch several times this season and running back Trenton Cannon could probably clear waivers and land on the practice squad, cutting ties with Pryor doesn’t really add up.

With Pryor gone, look for the Jets to add Deontay Burnett to the active roster, a move we suggested earlier this week when it was reported that Robby Anderson was dealing with his hamstring issue.

The Jets could also opt to add either Rishard Matthews or Corey Coleman, both of whom worked out for the team earlier this week.

As far as the reasoning behind Pryor’s release, don’t be surprised if we find out there was more to it than just his injury in the coming weeks.

The post Jets Decision to Waive Pryor a Curious one appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
nXINKSvTd5U

Click here to read the full story...

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

21 year old QB & a sh*t show at WR. If Sam Darnold keeps us in this game tomorrow, Jets fans should give Kirk Cousins a standing ovation for NOT signing with us.

The Jets must have felt they had no choice, but to cut bait. This is where the media needs to dig a little and tell us what went down.

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

It could be a chemistry thing. If that's the case, he isn't good enough to remain on the team. There is a reason why he has been cut by four different teams.

This is the best guess we can make without more info...

Pryor had a good year in Cleveland and they let him walk.  He was not liked in Washington, that's for sure. 

50 minutes ago, Jetster said:

21 year old QB & a sh*t show at WR. If Sam Darnold keeps us in this game tomorrow, Jets fans should give Kirk Cousins a standing ovation for NOT signing with us.

Actually I mis-read your post, I thought you were saying Cousins should get a standing "O" for being smart enough not to sign with us. 

16 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I'm sure Macc and co. their reasons to dump him. Seems like a (and I hate to say it ) Patriot move.

I think Bowles has final say on his roster. Pryor's $5m contract is fully guaranteed whether we kept or cut him. Don't know what (if any) offset language there is, but if he signs elsewhere I doubt it's for more than the amortized league minimum (~$57K/game for him). Cap space isn't an issue for the Jets, but that doesn't therefore make it meaningless to throw away $3m (or $5m) that could have been put towards another player. 

What's really the head-scratcher is them saying he could be back after he's healed (unless it's 100% bull). 

If he's been causing problems in the locker room - never mind the rookie QB's huddle - or if he's been doing poorly in ways we can't readily see (when the ball isn't thrown his way), then I totally agree with tossing him.

On the other hand, if it's really over an expected ~2-week injury, but they'd otherwise deem him a valuable receiver for Darnold, then it makes little sense. There are others more expendable IMO, if they'd actually want him back in 2 weeks, but then I'm not of the opinion this is a serious SB contender and this season is all about Darnold. If he helps Darnold even a little bit, then find another cut even if it makes the overall team a little weaker there (e.g. Peake, if it had to nominally had to be a WR they want to cut to hang onto Pryor). And if, by mid-October, it's deemed that Pryor isn't worth hanging onto for 2 weeks on the DL, then they had no business letting him make the final cuts. Or at a minimum, put ol' Tannenbaum Kellen-Clemens-squeeze on him last minute to knock off a couple million; no one else was guaranteeing him $3m as final cuts were made. 

2 hours ago, Joe the Breadman said:

I'm thinking he is not the best citizen in the locker room.....

Likely.  But this is a decision made because of both injury and the numbers game.  We simply have too many guys hurt and can't keep them all on the 53.  We're not cutting Enunwa, etc.  It's just unfortunate that these injuries are happening at the same time because Darnold was just starting to get a little something going with Pryor.

I think it's pretty simple.

Pryor is on a one year deal, we're halfway through the season, and he's hurt. I don't think he is a part of the Jets long term plans whereas players like Cannon and Burris may be.

The Jets took a one year flier on him and have decided it's time to cut bait. I do think there is a behind the scenes, locker room factor at play here.

Clearly not injury related.  He already pissed off Bowles by discussing injuries during the pre season so he was probably on a short leash. 

He might have been griping about his lack of touches behind the scenes so when he got injured it gave them a reason to release him.

I'm guessing that it has something to do with his comments a few weeks back that he's "a big play waiting to happen" and that he should be more involved in the offense. 

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-news-terrelle-pryor-unhappy-role-new-york-jets-offense-big-play-waiting-happen-weej-five-denver-broncos/jw2h1iu4zcdz1c95ppuh7umhp

I'm guessing that his comments was an indication that he was a malcontent in the locker room and the organization, but that's just a guess at this point. He's made plenty of plays to warrant being kept so I'm guessing there was a behind the scenes attitude issue.

I think Bowles has final say on his roster. Pryor's $5m contract is fully guaranteed whether we kept or cut him. Don't know what (if any) offset language there is, but if he signs elsewhere I doubt it's for more than the amortized league minimum (~$57K/game for him). Cap space isn't an issue for the Jets, but that doesn't therefore make it meaningless to throw away $3m (or $5m) that could have been put towards another player. 
What's really the head-scratcher is them saying he could be back after he's healed (unless it's 100% bull). 
If he's been causing problems in the locker room - never mind the rookie QB's huddle - or if he's been doing poorly in ways we can't readily see (when the ball isn't thrown his way), then I totally agree with tossing him.
On the other hand, if it's really over an expected ~2-week injury, but they'd otherwise deem him a valuable receiver for Darnold, then it makes little sense. There are others more expendable IMO, if they'd actually want him back in 2 weeks, but then I'm not of the opinion this is a serious SB contender and this season is all about Darnold. If he helps Darnold even a little bit, then find another cut even if it makes the overall team a little weaker there (e.g. Peake, if it had to nominally had to be a WR they want to cut to hang onto Pryor). And if, by mid-October, it's deemed that Pryor isn't worth hanging onto for 2 weeks on the DL, then they had no business letting him make the final cuts. Or at a minimum, put ol' Tannenbaum Kellen-Clemens-squeeze on him last minute to knock off a couple million; no one else was guaranteeing him $3m as final cuts were made. 

Maybe this kid Deontay Burnett is turning heads. He was a gamer at USC.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think it's pretty simple.
Pryor is on a one year deal, we're halfway through the season, and he's hurt. I don't think he is a part of the Jets long term plans whereas players like Cannon and Burris may be.
The Jets took a one year flier on him and have decided it's time to cut bait. I do think there is a behind the scenes, locker room factor at play here.

I thought he was doing well. Maybe he thinks he’s all that and they aren’t doing diva this year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Larz said:

You have to reach an injury settlement to release an injured player, correct?

The more I read about this the less it seems likely that it's injury related

I doubt that applies to someone in Pryors situation since his contract was fully guaranteed.  

Archived