Jets add Deontay Burnett to Active Roster

JetNation

Deontay.jpg

In a move that wasn’t all that surprising as we suggested the possibility of it earlier this week, the Jets have added rookie wide receiver Deontay Burnett to their active roster.

Burnett was quarterback Sam Darnold’s to target at USC but went undrafted and was signed and released by the Tennessee Titans this preseason before the Jets added him to their practice squad.

With the two getting back on the field together for live action, fans will hope to see some more plays like this:

Burnett takes the roster spot that opened up earlier today when the Jets cut ties with wide receiver Terrelle Pryor.

The post Jets add Deontay Burnett to Active Roster appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
wPK7bdpD6B0

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has he been practicing with Darnold since he’s been here is my question? I know he’s been on the practice squad - then do players on the practice squad practice with the main team during the week is my question? I would think so but not 100%sure. 

Just now, Nixhead said:

Has he been practicing with Darnold since he’s been here is my question? I know he’s been on the practice squad - then do players on the practice squad practice with the main team during the week is my question? I would think so but not 100%sure. 

Yes, Practice Squad players practice with the regular 53.

25 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Bad 40.  Like, 4.8. But he should be a good slot guy, runs good routes.

I saw that he ran a 4.7 while dealing with an hammy injury. Reminds me a little of Kearse who isn't the fastest WR but gets open and catches everything thrown his way with the added bonus of having a history of making big plays with Darnold. 

44 minutes ago, thshadow said:

What's the story with him?  He had decent production in college, no?

40 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

What Jet_Engine said^ 

with that said I remember @Villain The Foe Posting that Burnett caught every single target thrown his way in the preseason for Tennessee.

He has reliable hands it seems and he can run good routes. The 40 Time was disappointing but i’ve seen players have success without speed.(of course they had some size on them too and Burnett is only 6’0 or 6’1 but if he’s thrown open and he can move chains, he’ll be fine.

Remember that interception in the endzone Darnold threw, that Pryor stood there and watched after he had quit on the play?

You won't be seeing that again.  If Burnett does anything well it's extending for the ball in the redzone.

Sam's redzone TD rate just went up

53 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

He’s more of a high 4.5 or 4.6 guy.  He was hurt for the combine and USC pro day.   He had a workout with Ronald Jones prior to the draft and ran 4.7, he wasn’t 100% for that workout either.  

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He’s more of a high 4.5 or 4.6 guy.  He was hurt for the combine and USC pro day.   He had a workout with Ronald Jones prior to the draft and ran 4.7, he wasn’t 100% for that workout either.  

I agree, I was just giving the reason why he went undrafted.  He had a HORRIBLE predraft process. Let's see if his game translates to the Pros.

Several of you guys are well informed.  Tay was healthy throughout his USC career, except the very end of his time at USC.  If his game translates to the pro level, you guys got a steal.

Also, zero drama, high character, quiet kid who just puts his head down and works hard, let’s his play speak for him.  He'll earn his targets, not ask for the ball.

He’s younger than Sam.

15 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Several of you guys are well informed.  Tay was healthy throughout his USC career, except the very end of his time at USC.  If his game translates to the pro level, you guys got a steal.

Also, zero drama, quiet kid who just puts his head down and works hard, let’s his play speak for him.  He’s younger than Sam.

Seem like a good kid.  I didn't know he was that young.  Hope it works out for him.

22 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

That is an unbelievable throw

Sam has said, that was all Tay.  It wasn't a designed play, Tay broke his route when he saw green space in the end zone, waved to Sam, who saw it and made the throw between three defenders.  Sam was confident Deontay would catch it.

*I was right there, seated just behind our band when that play happened.

1 minute ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Sam has said, that was all Tay.  It wasn't a designed play, Tay broke his route when he saw green space in the end zone, waved to Sam, who saw it and made the throw between three defenders.  I was confident Deontay would catch it.

He looked awesome at USC.  

6 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Sam has said, that was all Tay.  It wasn't a designed play, Tay broke his route when he saw green space in the end zone, waved to Sam, who saw it and made the throw between three defenders.  Sam was confident Deontay would catch it.

*I was right there, seated just behind our band when that play happened.

The diving catch in the back of the end zone. I forgot who they played. Do you remember that catch?

Archived