Jets add Deontay Burnett to Active Roster

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Several of you guys are well informed.  Tay was healthy throughout his USC career, except the very end of his time at USC.  If his game translates to the pro level, you guys got a steal. Also, ze

In a move that wasn’t all that surprising as we suggested the possibility of it earlier this week, the Jets have added rookie wide receiver Deontay Burnett to their active roster. Burnett was quar

Has he been practicing with Darnold since he’s been here is my question? I know he’s been on the practice squad - then do players on the practice squad practice with the main team during the week is my question? I would think so but not 100%sure. 

Just now, Nixhead said:

Has he been practicing with Darnold since he’s been here is my question? I know he’s been on the practice squad - then do players on the practice squad practice with the main team during the week is my question? I would think so but not 100%sure. 

Yes, Practice Squad players practice with the regular 53.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Bad 40.  Like, 4.8. But he should be a good slot guy, runs good routes.

I saw that he ran a 4.7 while dealing with an hammy injury. Reminds me a little of Kearse who isn't the fastest WR but gets open and catches everything thrown his way with the added bonus of having a history of making big plays with Darnold. 

• Upvote 4

Was watching some college highlights. This kid can play. Crazy hands. I’m excited to see him play. He looks fast enough. Although, we are trotting out some of the skinniest receivers in the league. Him and Robby need to eat some steak. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
44 minutes ago, thshadow said:

What's the story with him?  He had decent production in college, no?

40 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

What Jet_Engine said^ 

with that said I remember @Villain The Foe Posting that Burnett caught every single target thrown his way in the preseason for Tennessee.

He has reliable hands it seems and he can run good routes. The 40 Time was disappointing but i’ve seen players have success without speed.(of course they had some size on them too and Burnett is only 6’0 or 6’1 but if he’s thrown open and he can move chains, he’ll be fine.

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Very good production.  Played much faster than his forty.

I'm sure @HelenOfTroy can fill us in on this kid, but my recollection of Burnett is if it's near him, he catches it.

Willing to bet Sam is calling Mom and Dad right now with the good news 

• Upvote 3
53 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

He’s more of a high 4.5 or 4.6 guy.  He was hurt for the combine and USC pro day.   He had a workout with Ronald Jones prior to the draft and ran 4.7, he wasn’t 100% for that workout either.  

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He’s more of a high 4.5 or 4.6 guy.  He was hurt for the combine and USC pro day.   He had a workout with Ronald Jones prior to the draft and ran 4.7, he wasn’t 100% for that workout either.  

I agree, I was just giving the reason why he went undrafted.  He had a HORRIBLE predraft process. Let's see if his game translates to the Pros.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

His injuries might work out in our favor.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Several of you guys are well informed.  Tay was healthy throughout his USC career, except the very end of his time at USC.  If his game translates to the pro level, you guys got a steal.

Also, zero drama, quiet kid who just puts his head down and works hard, let’s his play speak for him.  He’s younger than Sam.

Seem like a good kid.  I didn't know he was that young.  Hope it works out for him.

22 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

That is an unbelievable throw

Sam has said, that was all Tay.  It wasn't a designed play, Tay broke his route when he saw green space in the end zone, waved to Sam, who saw it and made the throw between three defenders.  Sam was confident Deontay would catch it.

*I was right there, seated just behind our band when that play happened.

• Upvote 4
1 minute ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Sam has said, that was all Tay.  It wasn't a designed play, Tay broke his route when he saw green space in the end zone, waved to Sam, who saw it and made the throw between three defenders.  I was confident Deontay would catch it.

He looked awesome at USC.  

6 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Sam has said, that was all Tay.  It wasn't a designed play, Tay broke his route when he saw green space in the end zone, waved to Sam, who saw it and made the throw between three defenders.  Sam was confident Deontay would catch it.

*I was right there, seated just behind our band when that play happened.

The diving catch in the back of the end zone. I forgot who they played. Do you remember that catch?

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The diving catch in the back of the end zone. I forgot who they played. Do you remember that catch?

He made a few, lol.  Have to look at the highlights.  One was at Arizona, let me think a bit...

Also vs the Longhorns...