Jets add Deontay Burnett to Active Roster

JetNation

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SUPER EXCITED about this move. He was great at USC, great in the preseason, has tons of chemistry with his college QB in Sam. He ran a hamstring hindered slowish 40. He is not slow by any means in game action. PLUS he is the type of receiver we dont really have on the team so far this year. We hugely upgraded the slot position. You have to think he was flashing in camp as well and Jets were afraid of losing him. With no WR signed for next year he is a foundational player for our offense. LOVE this move.

Pryor's tweet does suggest a return as well.

33 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

He made a few, lol.  Have to look at the highlights.  One was at Arizona, let me think a bit...

Also vs the Longhorns...

The play I’m referring to is the second play on the first video! That was amazing. I seen it on TV when it happened. My jaw dropped.

2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I will say it over and over again the more I see of Sam Darnold the more I like this guy...

I really didn't know how good Darnold was/is; I now officially apologize to the SUCK for SAM posters who proliferated out here a year before the Jets got him!

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Burnett is quicker than fast, proto-typical slot possession guy.  Slightly taller version of Jeremy Kerley.  

If he can run routes & catch like Kerley could, I'll take that. The fact that he & Sam have a playing history together is a bonus.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

What Jet_Engine said^ 

with that said I remember @Villain The Foe Posting that Burnett caught every single target thrown his way in the preseason for Tennessee.

He has reliable hands it seems and he can run good routes. The 40 Time was disappointing but i’ve seen players have success without speed.(of course they had some size on them too and Burnett is only 6’0 or 6’1 but if he’s thrown open and he can move chains, he’ll be fine.

Indeed he did. Burnett led all receivers in catches for the Titans during the preseason. It was a surprise that they cut him, but consider it a gift for the Jets given his rapport with Sam. 

Burnett hands are reliable. He ran a slow 40, but we all know 40 times are way overrated. At the end of the day, Burnett runs his routes, catches the football and has shown to be willing to lay his body out in order to to so, and most importantly, he doesnt look slow on the football field when playing against his opponent.

If Burnett and Sam can build on what they started at USC then there's nothing but positives here. In terms of the WR group, the Jets have everything they need outside of a #1 WR. However, even without that #1 WR, this is a pretty solid group and I do believe Burnett will show to be a valued addition. 

12 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Yup. The Equipment guys unofficially retired #80. They just don't offer it to anyone.

I actually had to look this one up because I thought it was retired. Even Gastineaus number is still available but I don't recall them ever using it since the early 90's.

14 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Younger than Sam?  What are they doing, running a day care center over there at USC?

No, just smart kids.  Another mature kid.  Tay is out of Serra, a USC feeder school, also a great academic school.  USC invested a lot of resources on it's tutoring/academic program to allow these kids to graduate in three years from USC.  Good news, keeps them focused on the academic and athletic rigors of D1 college, little time to fool around. 

2 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

No, just smart kids.  Another mature kid.  Tay is out of Serra, a USC feeder school, also a great academic school.  USC invested a lot of resources on it's tutoring/academic program to allow these kids to graduate in three years from USC.  Good news, keeps them focused on the academic and athletic rigors of D1 college, little time to fool around. 

They get their degrees in 3 years??  That's pretty impressive / hard to believe...

My son will be applying to USC BTW, though as a nerd, not a football player...  :-)

52 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He’s #84

No one has worn #80 since Chrebet. Which is weird to me. I love Chrebet but he wasn’t exactly the caliber of player whose number you retire.

He’s the type of player who’s number stays vacant for a while and then gets reowned. He didn’t win multiple superbowls, mvps, etc. Great player. 100%. His number has been honored.

Honor his number but don’t go crazy here.

2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Sam has said, that was all Tay.  It wasn't a designed play, Tay broke his route when he saw green space in the end zone, waved to Sam, who saw it and made the throw between three defenders.  Sam was confident Deontay would catch it.

*I was right there, seated just behind our band when that play happened.

This is an epic post. Thank you.

34 minutes ago, thshadow said:

They get their degrees in 3 years??  That's pretty impressive / hard to believe...

My son will be applying to USC BTW, though as a nerd, not a football player...  :-)

Yes, they have that opportunity.  Our Special Teams Coach is the author of Academic Gameplan.

https://www.howtolearn.com/academic-gameplan-for-student-athletes/

This is from an article from the OC Register about LB Cam Smith.

"Smith harbors NFL aspirations and is likely to be selected in the earlier rounds of the draft come April. 

But throughout his childhood, it was also his only professional aspiration, like countless other boys. He dreamed of playing on Sundays, or maybe the major leagues. Suzy at times asked if he had a plan B. He informed her there was none. 

But his feelings changed after enrolling at USC in 2015. Tutors asked him and other players to contemplate life after football and learn about other potential occupations. 

“I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard, ‘What does the NFL stand for? Not For Long.’” Smith says. “I’ve heard that for a bajillion times here. It’s not them pushing down our throats that we can’t play football, but find more. Life is not just football.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/09/27/usc-linebacker-cameron-smith-tackles-fine-wine-yoga-and-running-backs/

Letme know if he selects USC!  Good for him, no way I could wish my way in now, so difficult to get into.  I like nerds. ?

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Forgetting someone?

Image result for steve mclendon

Damn, you got me. I'm not sure how that one slipped by me but I blame it on beer.

Serious note....besides him do you recall anyone else wearing #99 in our recent history?  

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Hugh Douglas 

I thought of him but he was somewhat recent after Gastineau retired. I think Eric Ogbahue (sp?) also wore 99 but I could be totally wrong on that one.  

17 minutes ago, RobR said:

Damn, you got me. I'm not sure how that one slipped by me but I blame it on beer.

Serious note....besides him do you recall anyone else wearing #99 in our recent history?  

Jason Taylor.  Bryan Thomas.

Archived