Jets add Deontay Burnett to Active Roster

JetNation

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

The play I’m referring to is the second play on the first video! That was amazing. I seen it on TV when it happened. My jaw dropped.

The QB throwing to him is pretty decent in those videos as well. He may have a future too

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

What Jet_Engine said^ 

with that said I remember @Villain The Foe Posting that Burnett caught every single target thrown his way in the preseason for Tennessee.

He has reliable hands it seems and he can run good routes. The 40 Time was disappointing but i’ve seen players have success without speed.(of course they had some size on them too and Burnett is only 6’0 or 6’1 but if he’s thrown open and he can move chains, he’ll be fine.

like Chrebet, Welker.  Guys were not fast.  But they could catch it.  Not comparing, just saying it is possible.  The familiarity intrigues me

8 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I wonder how he is going to adjust to nfl coverages might be hard for him to find separation

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

slots have three ways to go. Left, right and upfield. more room to work. wideouts are limited to two, mostly.  plus, there is a lot of zone played.  Smarts over separation, in those cases.  And I understand he is quick. Quick will get you open.

Burnett could develop into Sams Edelman. The Patriots for the most part use guys that are smart. Watch Brady operate & if guys aren't where they should be they end up cut. 

Not only does Macc need to find athletic players to surround Sam with, they also need to be guys cerebral enough to be in the right spots, break routes in sync with Sam & most importantly catch the ball. So far Enunwa is head & shoulders above everyone but he can't stay healthy (how much do we pay him?). Anderson is a 2/3 WR with a limited repertoire & skinny as a rail. Kearse is a pros pro, but aging, Burnett could be Sams slot guy for years to come, plus Herndon & Leggett (if he can stay healthy), can really compliment the passing game. This team needs a legit #1 WR. Jets should go after Tyrell Williams in free agency. 

Williams, Enunwa, Kearse, Burnett, Herndon, Leggett & another added RB & let's rock.

slots have three ways to go. Left, right and upfield. more room to work. wideouts are limited to two, mostly.  plus, there is a lot of zone played.  Smarts over separation, in those cases.  And I understand he is quick. Quick will get you open.
I won't pretend I know much about this kid but from the videos I have seen it looked like most of his catches were thrown to him near perfectly where only he could get it with a defender trailing close behind. NFL defenses are supposed to be faster and more aggressive. I want him to pan out but I also don't want to build up unrealistic expectations for him there will be people on the forum ready to cut him tomorrow if he doesn't have 100 yards receiving and 2 touchdowns today.

13 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I won't pretend I know much about this kid but from the videos I have seen it looked like most of his catches were thrown to him near perfectly where only he could get it with a defender trailing close behind. NFL defenses are supposed to be faster and more aggressive. I want him to pan out but I also don't want to build up unrealistic expectations for him there will be people on the forum ready to cut him tomorrow if he doesn't have 100 yards receiving and 2 touchdowns today.

Having watched all their games, I really don't think that's true.  He had a good knack for getting balls thrown behind him and disputed balls as well.  Why do so many people feel it's their duty to lower expectations around here?  No one has big expectations for the guy (although it would be great if he worked out).  He's an UDFA.

17 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Bad 40.  Like, 4.8. But he should be a good slot guy, runs good routes.

Exactly. 40 times are often overrated for certain types of wr’s.  Theilen had a mediocre 40 yet knows how to get open. Belitnifkoff, an all time great, was slow as molasses but was one of the most productive recievers ever. Not every WR has top flight speed or needs to. Burnett is an outstanding possession wr and it’s no coincidence he was Sam’s go to guy.  This is exactly what Sam needs in his development. A wr he knows like the back of his hand and feels comfortable with. 

• 2 months later...

Haven't seen anyone mention this with all the Bowles talk, but I was very excited by what I saw out of Burnett on Sunday. Nice routes, great hands, obvious chemistry with his former college QB, seems like the perfect slot guy. With a viable #1 receiver, Quincy, Robbie and Deontay could be a formidable receiving corps, and then add in Herndon and we may only be 1 player away from having a surprisingly strong and young receiving corps. Add a couple OL and RB, along with a new head coach and the offense could JET in the next year,

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Haven't seen anyone mention this with all the Bowles talk, but I was very excited by what I saw out of Burnett on Sunday. Nice routes, great hands, obvious chemistry with his former college QB, seems like the perfect slot guy. With a viable #1 receiver, Quincy, Robbie and Deontay could be a formidable receiving corps, and then add in Herndon and we may only be 1 player away from having a surprisingly strong and young receiving corps. Add a couple OL and RB, along with a new head coach and the offense could JET in the next year,

PFF had him ranked as our top offensive player this week -- nobody else was even close..

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

This kid balled out. I noticed yesterday he has really soft hands and made great adjustments to balls. Always seemed open too.

He seems to have a natural feel with Darnold; they continue to to connect very well.

Burnett has shown he can stretch and catch the ball. Right now Mac (does he get credit for this?) has 2 UDRFA on the roster: one that can get take the top off of defenses and the other who compiled 10 receptions 143 yards in 6 games and has synergy with the QB.

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I like him looks like a slot kind of guy. 

We need a Big possession reciver now to complete the group:-

Enunwa

Anderson.

Herndon.

Draft pick?

Burnett.

Mike Evans? Rumours are he might be available. Evans Tampas first and second for #3 overall and a fifth.

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Mike Evans? Rumours are he might be available. Evans Tampas first and second for #3 overall and a fifth.

Rumors.... from a regime that just had it's nuts cut off? "Hey new guy! Come coach over here - we're about to trade your best weapon!"

Evans is going nowhere.

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I like him looks like a slot kind of guy. 

We need a Big possession reciver now to complete the group:-

Enunwa

Anderson.

Herndon.

Draft pick?

Burnett.

This entourage is a nice compliment of side dishes, but lacks meat. 

14 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

He made a catch outside the back of the end zone last week, that if it was inbounds, would've been the catch of the year. With all the problems we had at WR this year, not getting him more involved is something I'll never understand.

This is the legacy of Bowles. Never give the kid who is working his ass off more snaps. Prioritize your players in the beginning of the season, and then never change the list; just go down the list when the top player is lost. Who was the best RB on the field on Sunday - do we think it was McGuire?

He sets his game plan before the game starts and refuses to adjust. He sets his ordered list of players in the beginning of the season and refuses to adjust. His rookie QB adjusts are starts playing better, and he refuses to adjust the game plan. He designed an offense/defense game plan when he became HC and refused to adjust.

A great guy, but too rigid to adapt and adjust. Glad he is gone. 

Archived