Jets lose Falah off PS to Denver

CTJetsFan

22 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

A little interesting side note...USC is the only school standing (D1), that has never had names on the back of the jerseys ("no player is greater than the name on the front of the jersey"), so numbers are very important.  There are also special numbers coveted by players that represent special players in the program, like #55 for Junior Seau, which can only be awarded by the HC to an outstanding linebacker.  43, 58, 51, etc, are all numbers special in the program, an honor to wear.  Most of those numbers were made famous initially by Polynesian players in our history.

Don't mind me, you can say I'm one of the USC message board historians.  Attempting to educate our young ones on our CFB history.

I always appreciate your insight .

3 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I always appreciate your insight .

I also know a lot about Alabama history, visited your school and the Bear Bryant Museum and loved it.  Of course, Bama is widely ahead of us at this point, but USC is still a CFB blue blood, and I was treated as such visiting your school. 

I'm sure you know that Bear Bryant and John McKay were very close friends, families even vacationed together numerous times, per McKays sons.

I didn't have an opportunity to visit Coach Bryant's grave site, but I do get to visit Coach McKay's every home game.  His dying wish was for his ashes to be scattered over the football field of the Coliseum.  He regretted leaving USC for the NFL the rest of his life, till the end.

On 10/20/2018 at 9:30 PM, C Mart said:

Could be a replacement...from 10/16

ExCats (@ExCats)

10/16/18, 6:22 PM

Former Kentucky center Jon Toth had a tryout for the New York Jets today, ⁦‪@HBalzer721‬⁩ reports. twitter.com/HBalzer721/sta…

Boom

Manish Mehta‏ @MMehtaNYDN 

Jets add two players to the practice squad: WR J.J. Jones and C Jon Toth

Dennis Waszak Jr.‏Verified account @DWAZ73 

Toth was with the Eagles after going undrafted out of Kentucky. Was considered one of the top centers in college football, but had back surgery in offseason. #Jets

Jones played at West Georgia, was signed by Chargers as undrafted free agent and played in 3 games this season, mostly as a KR/PR

JJ JONES  WEST GEORGIA  WR

5' 10"  173 lbs

- -

HANDS

Overview

Spindly speed merchant with electric burst that shows up after the catch and in his returns. What Jones has in athletic attributes, he lacks in production as a receiver. With his lack of size and production, Jones is likely headed to camp as a priority free agent. While his chances of making a team will be much better if he can sell himself as a capable slot target, his potential as a return man gives him an outside shot to land a roster spot.

Strengths

Exceptional speed with a burst and finishing kick to hit the chunk play. Testing was off the charts with a 4.35 forty, 38-inch vertical leap and 6.83 three-cone. Rapid release foot quickness to work around press corners

Sudden in his stop/start acceleration and deceleration. Quick separation burst coming out of breaks. Works back to the ball. Hard to tail for man coverage on shallow crossing routes. Has speed to challenge vertically and quickness to handle catch and run duties. Shows shake and go as punt returner with one touchdown and a few near touchdowns

Weaknesses

Very slightly built with a thin frame throughout. Could struggle to hold up to rigors of the pro game. Career production doesn't match the speed and explosion traits

Managed just 24 catches for 278 yards this season. Very little was asked of him with route work

Was a little lazy coming out of his turn on out-breaking routes. Leaves yards and touchdowns on the field as returner due to inconsistent open field vision

On 10/20/2018 at 9:37 PM, RobR said:

He looked brutal during the Senior Bowl practices last year. 

maybe this played into it

UK’s Jon Toth was supposed to be in the NFL. He talks about what went wrong and what happens now.

July 11, 2017 11:14 AM

Updated July 18, 2017 05:50 PM

HOOVER, ALA. 

Why me? Why now?

Those seem like fair, valid questions to ask for former Kentucky center Jon Toth, who was here on one of these Southeastern Conference Media Day stages surrounded by lights and cameras just a year ago.

Why me? Why now?

Invited to the NFL Combine, predicted to hear his name called in one of the later days of the draft, Toth instead found himself watching it while managing severe back pain.

“I’m not going to act like I’m inhuman and didn’t have any emotions about it when it happened, like, ‘Why me?’” Toth told the Herald-Leader on Monday. “There’s certainly a time when that happens when you’re like, ‘This sucks. It’s terrible timing.’”

The timing seemed especially cruel when you consider that Toth never missed a game as a Wildcat, not once in four straight years. The center from Indianapolis rarely missed a snap.

The First Team All-SEC lineman played in 49 career games for Kentucky with a nation’s best 48 straight starts. Toth was the leader of a Kentucky offensive line that finished No. 20 in the nation and third in the league in rushing yards a game at 234.2.

Sure, he had dealt with back pain from time to time. Almost all offensive linemen at every level do. It’s part of the job description, he said.

He’d experienced pain and discomfort, but never like the kind he felt just two weeks before the NFL Draft.

“It was kind of a freak thing, just a buildup over time, and then it just kind of happened,” Toth said. “I was just getting out of bed one morning and it was just a freak thing.”

Toth is about seven weeks removed from surgery in Los Angeles, Calif., on a disc in his lower back.

He has been doing physical therapy back home in Indianapolis with every intention of getting back on the football field and making an NFL roster.

But physical therapy and recovery present their own unique challenges for the annual member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll, who graduated from UK with a degree in mechanical engineering.

“It’s difficult, because as an athlete we compete at a very high level, and to have the doctors and the PT guys pulling back on the leash saying you can only do so much, it’s frustrating, but it’s necessary,” he said.

“It goes against your intuition as an athlete. You want to do as much as you can and punish yourself because that makes you better. But you have to do that in a smarter way now. I do, just going through this rehab process.”

Since the diagnosis and surgery, Toth has been in regular contact with several teams about his future. He visited with teams after the draft and attended several rookie minicamps.

“I couldn’t do things on the field when I was going to those camps, so they said they were interested, the teams I’ve been in contact with,” he said. “And they said keep them in the loop, keep them updated on my progress.”

Toth’s goal is to get back on the field as quickly and safely as he can. He expects to start lifting weights full time in the next couple of weeks.

The former UK center has no plans to start hunting for a mechanical engineering job in the near future.

“I’m fully committed, 100 percent, to getting back on the football field and being able to compete this fall,” Toth said. “There are a lot of guys who are playing currently in the NFL who have had the same issue I’ve had and are playing for 10 years.”

Knowing that helps quiet the “Why me? Why now?” questions that Toth could be asking himself.

He has other things to worry about.

“This is definitely something you can come back from and excel playing football,” he said. “It’s a violent sport and injuries happen, but I’m fully expecting to be back stronger than I was before.”

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-football/article160685344.html

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

maybe this played into it

UK’s Jon Toth was supposed to be in the NFL. He talks about what went wrong and what happens now.

July 11, 2017 11:14 AM

Updated July 18, 2017 05:50 PM

HOOVER, ALA. 

Why me? Why now?

Those seem like fair, valid questions to ask for former Kentucky center Jon Toth, who was here on one of these Southeastern Conference Media Day stages surrounded by lights and cameras just a year ago.

Why me? Why now?

Invited to the NFL Combine, predicted to hear his name called in one of the later days of the draft, Toth instead found himself watching it while managing severe back pain.

“I’m not going to act like I’m inhuman and didn’t have any emotions about it when it happened, like, ‘Why me?’” Toth told the Herald-Leader on Monday. “There’s certainly a time when that happens when you’re like, ‘This sucks. It’s terrible timing.’”

The timing seemed especially cruel when you consider that Toth never missed a game as a Wildcat, not once in four straight years. The center from Indianapolis rarely missed a snap.

The First Team All-SEC lineman played in 49 career games for Kentucky with a nation’s best 48 straight starts. Toth was the leader of a Kentucky offensive line that finished No. 20 in the nation and third in the league in rushing yards a game at 234.2.

Sure, he had dealt with back pain from time to time. Almost all offensive linemen at every level do. It’s part of the job description, he said.

He’d experienced pain and discomfort, but never like the kind he felt just two weeks before the NFL Draft.

“It was kind of a freak thing, just a buildup over time, and then it just kind of happened,” Toth said. “I was just getting out of bed one morning and it was just a freak thing.”

Toth is about seven weeks removed from surgery in Los Angeles, Calif., on a disc in his lower back.

He has been doing physical therapy back home in Indianapolis with every intention of getting back on the football field and making an NFL roster.

But physical therapy and recovery present their own unique challenges for the annual member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll, who graduated from UK with a degree in mechanical engineering.

“It’s difficult, because as an athlete we compete at a very high level, and to have the doctors and the PT guys pulling back on the leash saying you can only do so much, it’s frustrating, but it’s necessary,” he said.

“It goes against your intuition as an athlete. You want to do as much as you can and punish yourself because that makes you better. But you have to do that in a smarter way now. I do, just going through this rehab process.”

Since the diagnosis and surgery, Toth has been in regular contact with several teams about his future. He visited with teams after the draft and attended several rookie minicamps.

“I couldn’t do things on the field when I was going to those camps, so they said they were interested, the teams I’ve been in contact with,” he said. “And they said keep them in the loop, keep them updated on my progress.”

Toth’s goal is to get back on the field as quickly and safely as he can. He expects to start lifting weights full time in the next couple of weeks.

The former UK center has no plans to start hunting for a mechanical engineering job in the near future.

“I’m fully committed, 100 percent, to getting back on the football field and being able to compete this fall,” Toth said. “There are a lot of guys who are playing currently in the NFL who have had the same issue I’ve had and are playing for 10 years.”

Knowing that helps quiet the “Why me? Why now?” questions that Toth could be asking himself.

He has other things to worry about.

“This is definitely something you can come back from and excel playing football,” he said. “It’s a violent sport and injuries happen, but I’m fully expecting to be back stronger than I was before.”

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-football/article160685344.html

I sure as hell hope he works out but that article doesn't explain why he played terribly during senior bowl practices. It precisely states two weeks before the combine, which doesn't coincide with the time frame of the senior bowl.

I'm not expecting much from this signing although I hope it works out.....same with Garcia whom I was a huge fan of going into the draft.

On 10/20/2018 at 6:57 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We're 3-3 with what looks like a franchise QB and you are whining about the amount of money we spent on a practice squad player. Classic SOJF post. 

I think he’s whining that the strategy didn’t work 

50 minutes ago, RobR said:

I sure as hell hope he works out but that article doesn't explain why he played terribly during senior bowl practices. It precisely states two weeks before the combine, which doesn't coincide with the time frame of the senior bowl.

I'm not expecting much from this signing although I hope it works out.....same with Garcia whom I was a huge fan of going into the draft.

The article stated he had some pain and discomfort during the season and it was a buildup over time...

maybe he just had a bad week. 

Or he sucks. 

Hes signed to the PS not sure anyone is expecting Mangold II at this point 

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

This is all so exciting. The highs to lows from losing Fallah but then getting Toth. OMG!

No worries. I’m sure you can find 10 threads on page 1 that deal w/coaching or Mccagnan that you can contribute to. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

but the rookie the Jets will draft this season will be the best! No Doubt!

WTF does one have to do with the other?

And how does the chance that a player with at least a chance to be successful become less desirable  than drafting the worst C in the NFL.  And crying that we didn't.

Usually someone is complaining about some player we should have drafted.  Now we're complaining about a player we should be glad we didn't draft.  And a position we might draft

Archived