Poorly coached team

Jetster

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

No the op is 100% correct and you are 100% wrong .  Also 'players did jot execute' being said every week means that the team is poorly coached.

Within a period of 5 plays the jets did three very stupid things and that is on coaching,

Bowles is a terrible coach, just awful and until he goes this team is not doing a thing.

100%

lol. 

Bowles is a terrible coach, overall. This game was on the players. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

Lack of balls in playcalling coupled with failing to challenge the Anderson drop speaks of a lack of attention to small but important detail. That's bad coaching. Also had 3 timeouts and the ball at halftime and totally pussyied out. Players are perpetually missing key details like the lateral. There's no downside to challenging the Anderson drop, and not being balls to the wall at the half is a joke. It's unacceptable.  

Grant you this was not an easy assignment and the run defense without Maye has been rough. But Bowles throws the balls out there, calls plays and....that's about it. No strategic thinking at all. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This wasnt on the coaching. Missed passes down field, unable to convert on 3rd down. Numerous bad snaps that cause multiple fumbles, Sam Darnold not completing a pass in the entire 3rd quarter. Dropped passes to end drives in the 2nd half, poorly thrown INT etc. 

Blaming the coaches on this is an excuse. Players didnt execute on the field. Spencer Long is NOT an upgrade at center, more like a unilateral move....etc. 

This was on the players, all the way. 

The 3rd and long catch to Anderson that was ruled incomplete at the Vikings 15 yards line that Bowles never bother to challenge is also on the player?  We are going into the 4 year of garbage.  Now, I'm convince that Bowles will forever get a pass from our fan base and like the Bengals's coach will become our lovable loser coach.  At least the Bengals make the playoff every other year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

The 3rd and long catch to Anderson that was ruled incomplete at the Vikings 15 yards line that Bowles never bother to challenge is also on the player?  We are going into the 4 year of garbage.  Now, I'm convince that Bowles will forever get a pass from our fan base and like the Bengals's coach will become our lovable loser coach.  At least the Bengals make the playoff every other year. 

Please. Stop the exaggeration. I said that both Bowles and Macc should have been fired on Black Monday last season.

In this particular case, not taking everything that has happened since 2015, it was obvious that the players, particular on offense dropped the ball here. 

• WTF? 1

11 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

The 3rd and long catch to Anderson that was ruled incomplete at the Vikings 15 yards line that Bowles never bother to challenge is also on the player?  We are going into the 4 year of garbage.  Now I'm confirmed that Bowles will forever get a pass from our fan base and like the Bengals's coach will become our lovable loser coach.  At least the Bengals make the playoff every other year. 

Suspect that unlike good coaches who leave that decision to a coach in the box he trusts, Bowles like Ryan before him looks at the Jumbotron and makes that decision on that. Takes too long. To compound it, even if it wasn't overturned went to half with 3 TOs in his pocket due to the Pussyball end of half, a Bowles trademark. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Please. Stop the exaggeration. I said that both Bowles and Macc should have been fired on Black Monday last season.

In this particular case, not taking everything that has happened since 2015, it was obvious that the players, particular on offense dropped the ball here. 

This much I know.  if someone asks Bowles about Spencer woes, I can guarantee you that his answer will be, he is doing fine.  I seen his inability for 4 years to replace horrible players or adapt especially in this game is quite remarkable.   This game is another example.  Spencer has been killing drive all game and he do not see himself removing that pile of garbage. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

This wasnt on the coaching. Missed passes down field, unable to convert on 3rd down. Numerous bad snaps that cause multiple fumbles, Sam Darnold not completing a pass in the entire 3rd quarter. Dropped passes to end drives in the 2nd half, poorly thrown INT etc. 

Blaming the coaches on this is an excuse. Players didnt execute on the field. Spencer Long is NOT an upgrade at center, more like a unilateral move....etc. 

This was on the players, all the way. 

I hate Bowles, but I agree... today was mostly on the players.

But I have a couple of examples where the coaching was in play... even when it was on the subtle side.

The Jets players not jumping on the lateral that Cousins threw today.  That looks like a player brain fart.  Good coaches have drilled and conditioned their players to automatically, without thought, grab the ball and run until they hear a whistle.

The "mental errors" that Andre Roberts makes almost every week of fielding punts.  He has fielded punts inside the five.  He has let punts hit and roll for an extra 20 yards.  He signals late for fair catches.  At some point this stuff has to be coached out of the kid.  No matter how many hours after practice it takes....

But once again, player execution was the main culprit today.

And Spencer Long has to be replaced before he gets Darnold injured...

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

This much I know.  if someone asks Bowles about Spencer woes, I can guarantee you that his answer will be, he is doing fine.  I seen his inability for 4 years to replace horrible players or adapt especially in this game is quite remarkable.   This game is another example.  Spencer has been killing drive all game and he do not see himself removing that pile of garbage. 

I agree, to an extent. Spencer long wasnt here for 4 seasons. Spencer Long is a free agent signing. That's Macc's domain. 

Question, Spencer Long is playing horribly. Yet who's been stepping up? Now I know that this isnt a question you can answer given that we only get to see the games and we dont know what's really happening during practices. However, Long is so bad that I would believe that it's safe to assume that if we have a guy who was playing even slightly below average-to-average, that would be quite the upgrade and would be pretty noticeable. 

Point being, who's Bowles going to replace him with? Dakota Dozier? Does he even dress? THAT guy shouldnt even be getting a check from the Jets. He contributes nothing. But like I said, filling out the roster is the GM's job, coaching is the coaches job. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

This is one of the most poorly coached Jets team I've seen since the Kotite years. Unaware, ill prepared, celebrate tackles before the whistle, trotting out losers like Tomlinson, dropped pass after dropped pass, no continuity, horrible streaks of poor offensive play, then defensive plays, then special teams. Plus it's a poorly constructed team by Macc. No depth on the Oline, Long would have been replaced at halftime if Parcells or Bellicheck coached this team. Bowles just stands there with his arms folded while the refs stick it up their azz week after week. Sticking with a coach like Bowles, the Johnsons deserve what they are seeing, not Jet fans who have skin so thick we're all just shaking are heads after these horrible displays of what isn't even close to NFL worthy football. Just terrible.

I do NOT like Bowles, but this was a game that was poorly executed.  Bowles is not a good HC but he is not in top 3 of things to point to for this game IMO.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I hate Bowles, but I agree... today was mostly on the players.

But I have a couple of examples where the coaching was in play... even when it was on the subtle side.

The Jets players not jumping on the lateral that Cousins threw today.  That looks like a player brain fart.  Good coaches have drilled and conditioned their players to automatically, without thought, grab the ball and run until they hear a whistle.

The "mental errors" that Andre Roberts makes almost every week of fielding punts.  He has fielded punts inside the five.  He has let punts hit and roll for an extra 20 yards.  He signals late for fair catches.  At some point this stuff has to be coached out of the kid.  No matter how many hours after practice it takes....

But once again, player execution was the main culprit today.

And Spencer Long has to be replaced before he gets Darnold injured...

Exactly. That's all im saying. Calling a spade a spade doesnt mean that Bowles isnt a terrible coach that needs to be dismissed from this organization. However, with that said, the players f'ed up this game. Plenty of opportunity to make this competitive and instead they squandered those opportunities 

16 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

I am no longer worried about Long killing drives.  I am worried about one of his snaps getting Darnold himself killed.

These snaps cause split second delays in timing, awkward handoffs, extra sacks, and my biggest fear?  Darnold getting something like his right hand caught wrong in a fumble pile...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

If the new england defense saw a QB throw a dirt ball lateral they would be all over it and turn it into a turnover.  Why?  Because they are a well coached team that pounces on other teams errors and drill important things into their players.

The jets have two players right there will a possible scoop and score if not a huge turnover gifted to them.  the two players stand around and do nothing.  Awful coaching.

I'm sure next film session bowles ill point that out and say hey we would have got that ball, too little too late, after the fact.

Late in the half, minny may go for a longer FG on a disputed catch.  The jets with 3 time outs do not call a time out, let tons of time run off the clock.  the other team misses the FG and we get the ball in good field position  but we have much less time.  Terrible coaching.

He is awful and we will flounder for a few more years like we did with rex, like the rams did with fisher until we clue in this guy is winning you nothing.

Next year will be the last one for Bowles I think. Can't fire him or Macc after this year with the rookie QB.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I guess that last underthrown INT by Darnold is Todd Bowles fault? 

Im not trying to crap on Darnold, it's going to take time because he's a rookie, but it's clear that this is more on the players and not the coaching staff right now. There was an open receiver on that last pick. 

Didn't the last pick hit the guy in the chest and bounce in the air? 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Next year will be the last one for Bowles I think. Can't fire him or Macc after this year with the rookie QB.

Why not? The Rams fired Fisher after Goffs rookie season and look at them now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1