Poorly coached team

Jetster

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Even when they win they have stupid plays, bad penalties, blown coverages, players don't execute because they are not pushed or given ultimatums. Joe Gibbs once took a scab football team & beat the real Dallas Cowboy team! Coaching matters, Todd Bowles proves every other week he's not on top of the problems with the EXECUTION of this team. He blows!

i didn't see them game but it sounds like a typical jets team after a couple of big wins.  they just don't seem to understand they have to play well every game and not let the wins go to their heads.  is this on bowles?  maybe.  maybe it's the reason pryor was released.  and let's not forget the vikings are not a bad team.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's more the coaching. Why Tomlinson on that route instead of Herndon or Sterling? Why keep Long in when he's killing you with bad snaps and penalties?? It's not like these bad snaps have started today. It's been at least 3 weeks of bad snaps. How can you not have someone available? 3 weeks!!!

20 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Darnold threw alot of picks in this game. his last one during the time I wrote that wasnt the last pick of the game.

The only pic where I'd really fault Sam was the first, which he underthrew. The second was a miscommunication with Roberts (who seemed to run a different route or run his route way diff to what Sam was thinking). Third was a great throw and reflected a lot of what Sam dealt with today from his teammates...

23 minutes ago, RobR said:

Why not? The Rams fired Fisher after Goffs rookie season and look at them now.

there is no "why not.."

he can & should be fired black monday..

the idea of willingly saddling darnold again next season with this dope just because??

jeezbus..

The problem today was that there were so many very young players in there and they’re going to make mistakes.  The entire secondary was young.  The wrs and TEs are all young.  Key guys on ST are young.  Then you have enunwa and Powell out along with Pryor, so all the starting wrs that darnold had opening day are out along with the rb who can catch.  When you’re lining up peake, Roberts and Burnett at wr, that’s basically a practice squad.   

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem today was that there were so many very young players in there and they’re going to make mistakes.  The entire secondary was young.  The wrs and TEs are all young.  Key guys on ST are young.  Then you have enunwa and Powell out along with Pryor, so all the starting wrs that darnold had opening day are out along with the rb who can catch.  When you’re lining up peake, Roberts and Burnett at wr, that’s basically a practice squad.   

Please add the biggest mook in football Tomlinson, at TE. Boise State has better skilled position players.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

This is one of the most poorly coached Jets team I've seen since the Kotite years. Unaware, ill prepared, celebrate tackles before the whistle, trotting out losers like Tomlinson, dropped pass after dropped pass, no continuity, horrible streaks of poor offensive play, then defensive plays, then special teams. Plus it's a poorly constructed team by Macc. No depth on the Oline, Long would have been replaced at halftime if Parcells or Bellicheck coached this team. Bowles just stands there with his arms folded while the refs stick it up their azz week after week. Sticking with a coach like Bowles, the Johnsons deserve what they are seeing, not Jet fans who have skin so thick we're all just shaking are heads after these horrible displays of what isn't even close to NFL worthy football. Just terrible.

And thats just to start with.

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Please add the biggest mook in football Tomlinson, at TE. Boise State has better skilled position players.

The young guys messed up everywhere.  Cannon runs out of bounds on a punt return and gets a penalty.  They were offsides on the opening kickoff, then had a personal foul.  Robbie Anderson gets whacked but there’s no PI call, then gets a personal foul for mouthing off to the ref.  I thought that sequence with Anderson captioned the day perfectly.  Anderson got mugged on the play, no penalty, but got a penalty for hurting the ref’s feelings.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Todd Bowles is Jeff Fisher, it’s like I’m watching the Rams pre McVay. 

This is a STUPID team that doesn’t work on the little things & they play like it even in wins vs other sh*tty teams. So the Jets beat Jax last year, big whoop this year they made Bortles look like Montana & we were healthy in the secondary! Do you guys realize that 3 weeks later Jax has benched Bortles? 

Bowles sucks!

When he gets us to the Super Bowl, we can talk.

That was back to bad bates

I wonder if he is trying to give Sam a little more than he can handle to accelerate his development?

This was back to running into 8 man fronts and throwing long developing routes with 2 deep safeties

considering the injury report and weather and defense you were facing, what's wrong with short passes and staying on schedule?

Have they even tried up tempo to keep a defense from subbing?

that's the best 3rd down defense in the NFL and it seemed like 3rd and 7 all day

if they stack the box you have to get out of a run on first down. It doesn't have to be a 40 yard bomb, 7 yards is great.

the Tomlinson screen has to go lol.

not worth going into Bowles letting long stay in the game, he's never going to change

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I've been hard on Bowles all year. But this game isn't on him today. The Jets didn't execute. Way too many physical and mental mistakes by the players today. 

this game is on him completely. To say the players did not execute or there were injuries are cop out. This team made stupid mistakes that is on the coaching. If the center is hurt and they keep playing him that is on the coaching as well. This coach suck this is typical win 2 drop three next game

This wasnt on the coaching. Missed passes down field, unable to convert on 3rd down. Numerous bad snaps that cause multiple fumbles, Sam Darnold not completing a pass in the entire 3rd quarter. Dropped passes to end drives in the 2nd half, poorly thrown INT etc. 
Blaming the coaches on this is an excuse. Players didnt execute on the field. Spencer Long is NOT an upgrade at center, more like a unilateral move....etc. 
This was on the players, all the way. 

I dont think it’s as black of white as I see the emotional swings going week to week here.
You’re absolutely correct in that today was a very sloppy day by many different players on different units. Fumbles, bad snaps, dropped passes, bad int’s etc.

But the OP is also correct in saying that the lack of discipline, lack of adjustment, poorly written schematics, and overall lack of engagement by Bowles unless it’s to grab a guy after a good play and laugh with him are a major problem.

Games like today will happen when we are starting so many rookies (3 or 4 I think) and backups. It’s just to be expected.
The larger problem is that there is a consistency with the players on the jets throughout the Rex and Todd bowles eras and that is discipline and on field intelligence. A really great example was the pass behind the line today. Lee was much more focused on getting in the back’s face and jabbering than understanding what just happened. A huge opportunity.
A bellichik lead team understands that at all times. Bowles guys don’t.
The Adams FF last week was the same way. Adams made the great hit and jumped up to let everyone know how proud we should be of him when the ball was flopping around on the ground behind him. He knew too because he turned around and paused then figured someone else would get it or something and kept up the celebration.
It’s the penalties and overall feel of the team that I feel is what leads to the problems you accurately described.

We have some real talent on this team. Fast young and athletic guys. They are not being reigned in and made to focus on the job at hand. That’s coaching and it’s a bigger problem overall.

As a Jet fan for the past 45+ years, I feel for you. This is frustrating. I am NOT, repeat NOT a fan of Bowles (although I am not so anti Bowles as I was last year - gee wonder why he wouldn't start Hack - what was I thinking). So, I am not defending him at ALL.

1. I have to point out that when the Jets win, many think maybe he is okay. When we loose he sucks. I get it. Personally, I don't think he is very good, but many people outside our fan base think he is doing a good job. Frankly I don't see it, And I understand the frustration. But, lets face it, this isn't a good team and where we have promise we are young (like at QB). There are going to be more days like this than days of victories this year - I think most fans knew this going into the season

2. I don't know how long many here were fans, but either it wasn't that long, or many forget. After the Kotite and Coslet years, I can say definitively that Bowles ins't close to being the worst or even second worse coach (maybe not even third). We have had some really bad coaches. That doesn't make Bowles good, nor does it mean that the Jets shouldn't replace him (although not sure who would step in and be better). But, IMO the 'Bowles is the worst coach ever' feels more like the dramatic outburst my 9 year old than unbiased discussion.

3. I think expectations are a bit high (especially off of a 2 game win streak), but this team is not good. Best coaching in the world won't make it a winner. Again, not excusing some really bone headed decisions Bowles makes, but the bar may be a bit too high sometime.

4. This is a game of inches. It doesn't take much to change a crappy play into a great one, and visa versa. A young team is more likely to be on the wrong side of those inches (so is a poorly coached team as well). Consider what a few inches would have meant if the Jets get that Safety - could have changed the direction of the game. As such, if the team can fix a couple of inches here or there, or not snap ball poorly, or hits the hole better, or the hole is a few inches bigger, the team could look much better. Again, not sure if this is coaching, lack of talent, or young raw players. Maybe it is all three, but the future (next year) likes much brighter IMO.

Bowles is clueless, if he doesn't see the issues with this team that needs changing, then he is a detriment. How many bad snaps do we have to see b4 they correct it. Does it take an injury to Darnold to have something done. This is a professional football team with an amatuer head coach. This is what we get when we promote coordinators to head coach, I will never forget Bruce Coslet, the offensive guru who turned into a scared head coach. Lets hire a real head coach now that we finally have found a real quarterback.

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

Here’s my rub. Bowles and Maccagnan have to go imo. But I actually really like Bates. True story. *shrugs

Mike Shanahan 

I don’t care if he’s in his mid-60’s. So are guys like Belichick and Pete Carroll.

HOF caliber, Super Bowl winning coach who is considered one of the greatest offensive minds in the history of the sport. He would also allow us to keep continuity with guys like Bates and Dennison.

Even if he only gives us 3-4 years, that’s fine with me as long as he develops Darnold into a Top 10 QB during that period. And odds are he probably would.

Even if he doesn’t want to be a HC, bring him in as the VP/GM and let him hire someone like Matt LaFleur as the coach.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Darnold threw alot of picks in this game. his last one during the time I wrote that wasnt the last pick of the game.

He threw 3. One was not his fault. I'm not saying he played well he didn't. This team has zero talent around him so it is what it is. The first drive he was on points then it fell apart. 

This much I know.  if someone asks Bowles about Spencer woes, I can guarantee you that his answer will be, he is doing fine.  I seen his inability for 4 years to replace horrible players or adapt especially in this game is quite remarkable.   This game is another example.  Spencer has been killing drive all game and he do not see himself removing that pile of garbage. 

Seriously with this? I’m no Bowles fan, but what exactly is he supposed to do? The starters he’s given are crap, the backups are just as bad or worse. How is he supposed to make lemonade out of dog sh*t?

30 minutes ago, Lith said:

This one boggles my mind.  How do you not at least challenge that it was a safety?

You can tell Cousins is unaware of the goal line until it's too late & his own motion puts the ball inside the goal line. That's a safety in every scenario except when it's the Jets at home.

Against the Phins, Jags and Browns I felt the Coaching staff did us no favors and did not put us in a position to win....

This one is on the players....Defense kept us in it for 2 1/2 quarters....schematically we were fine....having a rookie QB, A center with a bum hand and poor options on offense ultimately did us in

When the Jets win, everyone says the coaches coached well. At the end of the day, it comes down to players executing. The offense did not execute as a result the coaching seemed poor. The play calling was good the last two weeks because the players executed. It really does come down to the players. 

2 hours ago, rammagen said:

this game is on him completely. To say the players did not execute or there were injuries are cop out. This team made stupid mistakes that is on the coaching. If the center is hurt and they keep playing him that is on the coaching as well. This coach suck this is typical win 2 drop three next game

How is saying that players are not executing a cop out? The players are the ones who play the game, not Bowles. When there's bad play calling, bad clock management, etc I blame Bowles and his staff.

The Jets lost this game because they made bad mistakes on the playing field. Darnold didn't play well, the secondary was banged up and got beat at key times. The Vikings hit some big plays. That was the game. The offense stalled consistently.

Can it never be the players fault?

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

This is one of the most poorly coached Jets team I've seen since the Kotite years. Unaware, ill prepared, celebrate tackles before the whistle, trotting out losers like Tomlinson, dropped pass after dropped pass, no continuity, horrible streaks of poor offensive play, then defensive plays, then special teams. Plus it's a poorly constructed team by Macc. No depth on the Oline, Long would have been replaced at halftime if Parcells or Bellicheck coached this team. Bowles just stands there with his arms folded while the refs stick it up their azz week after week. Sticking with a coach like Bowles, the Johnsons deserve what they are seeing, not Jet fans who have skin so thick we're all just shaking are heads after these horrible displays of what isn't even close to NFL worthy football. Just terrible.

Have a Snickers bar. You're not yourself when you're hungry.

1 hour ago, GaryM said:

Bowles is clueless, if he doesn't see the issues with this team that needs changing, then he is a detriment. How many bad snaps do we have to see b4 they correct it. Does it take an injury to Darnold to have something done. This is a professional football team with an amatuer head coach. This is what we get when we promote coordinators to head coach, I will never forget Bruce Coslet, the offensive guru who turned into a scared head coach. Lets hire a real head coach now that we finally have found a real quarterback.

What NFL starting caliber Centers are walking the streets unsigned by any team? Who is available that would be an upgrade over Long who has played in a zone blocking scheme at a high level?

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I am no longer worried about Long killing drives.  I am worried about one of his snaps getting Darnold himself killed.

These snaps cause split second delays in timing, awkward handoffs, extra sacks, and my biggest fear?  Darnold getting something like his right hand caught wrong in a fumble pile...

The thing I don't understand about the Long situation is, he's been hurt for weeks. We all know that, but assume for him to continue to start, we probably have nobody to take his spot. Then I read this morning the C we had on our PS, was claimed by the Broncos. So not only did we have a C who another team thought should be on their 53 man roster, that guy was Sam's C in college at USC!!! Could there have possibly have been another replacement for Long that Sam would've felt more comfortable with right away? How did we not give that kid a chance?

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The thing I don't understand about the Long situation is, he's been hurt for weeks. We all know that, but assume for him to continue to start, we probably have nobody to take his spot. Then I read this morning the C we had on our PS, was claimed by the Broncos. So not only did we have a C who another team thought should be on their 53 man roster, that guy was Sam's C in college at USC!!! Could there have possibly have been another replacement for Long that Sam would've felt more comfortable with right away? How did we not give that kid a chance?

We have two guys on our active roster that can play center in Harrison and Dozier, neither of which is very good. If and when we need to replace Long it will come from our active roster not some guy we were trying to develop on the practice squad.

We've done that before and it was disastrous. Remember Colin Baxter?.....I do.

Archived