Officiating

nico002

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

That wasn't PI.  The guy turned his head around to locate the ball and their feet got tangled.  You would have been screaming bloody murder if that call went against the Jets on defense.

Yeah except the defenders arm was on Robby the whole entire time....

And obviously we didnt deserve to win, but we weren't given any favors.

I get not liking to whine about the refs, but to just blindly say that the refs don't impact the game isn't correct either imo.

Vikes def caught more breaks than us today in that regard.

5 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I don't know if that was PI on Rhodes...but I am pretty confident if he were wearing green or Robbie were wearing a Patriots just it's flagged 10/10.

I really admire when someone is willing to go out on a limb with a post like this one. It takes guts to just say, " I know nobody has had the courage to do this before, but it needs to be said, and I'm gonna say it, consequences be damned!!!"

It's comical how some folks around here feel the need to deal in nothing but absolutes.  Yes, the Jets most certainly sucked it up this game and did more than their far share to earn themselves that loss.  That doesn't magically mean that everything else that happened in the game was without fault.

The bottom line is that the officiating in this game was massively inconsistent, which is the single most inexcusable failure of the job.  We all get that different officiating teams may call things a bit differently, and that's fine on its own.  Some call things a bit tighter, other's let it play out a bit more, and as long as it's consistent throughout the game, all is fair.  Yet when you're throwing out flags on questionable ticky-tack calls one moment, and then ignoring blatant major penalties the next, you are horrible at your job.

Commentators are pretty notorious for trying to make excuses for the refs at every turn, so it tells you all you really need to know when, by the end of the game, they were repeatedly unable to provide explanations for some calls that happened, while being baffled by other non-calls.

The Jets failing at their jobs doesn't excuse those officials having absolutely no understanding of how to even do their own.  The problem is, the latter has no regulation of any kind within the NFL, which means there is ultimately no deterrent to them being awful at what they do.

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's comical how some folks around here feel the need to deal in nothing but absolutes.  Yes, the Jets most certainly sucked it up this game and did more than their far share to earn themselves that loss.  That doesn't magically mean that everything else that happened in the game was without fault.

The bottom line is that the officiating in this game was massively inconsistent, which is the single inexcusable failure of the job.  We all get that different officiating teams may call things a bit differently, and that's fine on its own.  Some call things a bit tighter, other's let it play out a bit more, and as long as it's consistent throughout the game, all is fair.  Yet when you're throwing out flags on questionable ticky-tack calls one moment, and then ignoring blatant major penalties the next, you are horrible at your job.

Commentators are pretty notorious for trying to make excuses for the refs at every turn, so it tells you all you really need to know when, by the end of the game, they were repeatedly unable to provide explanations for some calls that happened, while being baffled by other non-calls.

The Jets failing at their jobs doesn't excuse those officials having absolutely no understanding of how to even do their own.  The problem is, the latter has no regulation of any kind within the NFL, which means there is ultimately no deterrent to them being awful at what they do.

Nailed it

24 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

Nailed it

Yes, he did make an excellent argument. But let me ask you and @Bleedin Green a question, and I'm not trying to be a smart a**. Think back to all the years you've been watching football. Honestly, was there ever a time when you thought the officiating was good? I've been watching over 50 years, and I really can't. I don't know if its the nature of the sport itself, or the fact that these crews, no matter how many members they have, are basically the only part time officials in any major sport.

there are some calls that reflect the poor play of a team and then there are ones that are game changers.  it's hard to separate the two at times.  how can a team go from their 20 to the opponents 20 and then be called for holding penalties or other drive stoppers?  it kind of makes no sense.  players get into a rhythm and should be getting fewer penalties.

i didn't watch the game so i don't know if this applies.  but refs can control the game's outcome.

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Yes, he did make an excellent argument. But let me ask you and @Bleedin Green a question, and I'm not trying to be a smart a**. Think back to all the years you've been watching football. Honestly, was there ever a time when you thought the officiating was good? I've been watching over 50 years, and I really can't. I don't know if its the nature of the sport itself, or the fact that these crews, no matter how many members they have, are basically the only part time officials in any major sport.

I agree with you. It's always been awful. Today it went against us, it happens.

Archived