Should the Jets trade all their picks in next year draft

DRJETS

In order to grab the best available WR?  I'm very intrigue about this prospect.  I remember when the Falcons tried with Julio Jones and all the "expert" were calling them reckless and know nothing.  But in the end it really took Matt Ryan into the next level.  Also it is not like our inept GM would get a Kareem Hunt in later round.  

20 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

In order to grab the best available WR?  I'm very intrigue about this prospect.  I remember when the Falcons tried with Julio Jones and all the "expert" were calling them reckless and know nothing.  But in the end it really took Matt Ryan into the next level.  Also it is not like our inept GM would get a Kareem Hunt in later round.  

so we are good at OL and pass rusher?

6 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

so we are good at OL and pass rusher?

You saw the game yesterday?  You got ST players running routes others dropping passes that hit their chest.  Our OL is not that bad other than the center position.  We had been drafting Defensive players since the Mangini Era with nothing to show for.  Our immediate need at the moment is helping the development of our franchise QB.  

35 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

Or we can just lose out and have the pick already. Seems likely  :) 

I saw some stuff on Nkeal Harry after a poster on JN sent his name my way. That guy seems legit. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We drafted Vlad DuCasse,Christian Hackenberg,Stephen Hill on offense all busts. 

Yeah but you still have to take the shots. We can add a whole lot of names to that lost too, but that doesn't mean we wont hit on the next one. Petty, Hack... Darnold.

Just now, carlito1171 said:

We have too many holes right now for an all in move like trading the farm to get to the top 5

We're going to be in the top 5 or so anyway I think. Not rooting for it, but it seems likely to me. With the injuries piling up I just don't see Bowles wiggling his way to a middle of the pack pick. 

Peter piper picked a pack of perfect players

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We need to just draft all offense for the next two years...

We have been needing to draft offense for a long time..... yes we need to draft offense but can't be reaching for a guy either. 

This is what happens when you as a team have not drafted well for over a decade.

1 hour ago, DRJETS said:

Funny you should mention the Falcons.  They have a really good QB and a great WR.  They are 2-4 and their defense absolutely melted in the SB two years ago.  Beckham has done nothing for the Giants in terms of post-season appearances.  AJ Green is amazing, Bengals useless in postseason.  Fitz?  2008 season.  Calvin Johnson?  Nada. 

I'm honestly hard-pressed to think of the last time a team with a top-5 WR made any noise.  Not trying to be snarky, but I just don't see having a star WR as a necessary element to post-season success.  I can't explain why, but I can't ignore the pattern.  I think our formula in 2010/11 with a great OLine, and solid, if not star-studded WRs and RBs was the right path if we had a QB of Darnold's talent under center.  Add in a little bit of an upgrade at TE and I'm good to go.  

54 minutes ago, Stark said:

We have been needing to draft offense for a long time..... yes we need to draft offense but can't be reaching for a guy either. 

This is what happens when you as a team have not drafted well for over a decade.

I’m being somewhat facetious but we do need to take shots regularly I want AJ Brown this year, Decent Offensive Lineman prospects and I want Jonathan Taylor the next year you get me that and all is forgiven

9 minutes ago, Xtina said:

No, we should use every pick on a WR and OL and maybe the law of averages works for us. We don’t even need the best receiver in the nfl to be on the team, just some very good ones. 

Idzik kind of tried to do that in the later rounds of 2013 and 2014. It failed miserably..  2013 he took OGs in the 3rd 5th and 6th - they traded their 4th for Ivory.  Winters remains and is probably over paid and not particularly good.  In 2014 they went for receivers with a 2nd (TE okay, but certainly not a blocker), 2 4ths and 6th.  Only Enunwa remains and I think the others are all out of the league.  I think Amaro had a workout with the Jags in September which is where Idzik picks go to die.  Saunders is supposedly doing okay in Canada.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Idzik kind of tried to do that in the later rounds of 2013 and 2014. It failed miserably..  2013 he took OGs in the 3rd 5th and 6th - they traded their 4th for Ivory.  Winters remains and is probably over paid and not particularly good.  In 2014 they went for receivers with a 2nd (TE okay, but certainly not a blocker), 2 4ths and 6th.  Only Enunwa remains and I think the others are all out of the league.  I think Amaro had a workout with the Jags in September which is where Idzik picks go to die.  Saunders is supposedly doing okay in Canada.

Well I guess if Idzik couldn’t do it, no one can 

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m being somewhat facetious but we do need to take shots regularly I want AJ Brown this year, Decent Offensive Lineman prospects and I want Jonathan Taylor the next year you get me that and all is forgiven

I know what you meant. I responded that way because some people here will read your post and the say "yeah all offense no matter what".

it wasn't really meant for you as much as just putting it out there. you tend to see things similarly to me.

2 hours ago, DRJETS said:

No offense to you, but I sure as hell hope Sam's ceiling is a heck of a lot higher than Matt Ryan.

30 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Funny you should mention the Falcons.  They have a really good QB and a great WR.  They are 2-4 and their defense absolutely melted in the SB two years ago.  Beckham has done nothing for the Giants in terms of post-season appearances.  AJ Green is amazing, Bengals useless in postseason.  Fitz?  2008 season.  Calvin Johnson?  Nada. 

I'm honestly hard-pressed to think of the last time a team with a top-5 WR made any noise.  Not trying to be snarky, but I just don't see having a star WR as a necessary element to post-season success.  I can't explain why, but I can't ignore the pattern.  I think our formula in 2010/11 with a great OLine, and solid, if not star-studded WRs and RBs was the right path if we had a QB of Darnold's talent under center.  Add in a little bit of an upgrade at TE and I'm good to go.  

Your path to success basically depend AGAIN for the thousand times on a defensive mind like Rex Ryan who made it twice to the AFC with a QB who threw for 12 TD and 20 INT.  Basically pound the ball and playing great defense.  We tried that approach for over a decade with Mangini, Rex and Bowles.  The league, my friend, had evolve and it had become an arena like high scoring league.   My point is that our biggest urgency is the development of our QB.  We need a sure thing for our GM to hit it right.  Over the last decade, our drafts has been below mediocre at best after the first round.  My approach get the best WR in the draft and signs a average-good WR.  

Should the Jets trade all their picks in next year draft in order to grab the best available WR?

No.

The Jets should, in my opinion, stockpile picks and spend them on O-linemen (first), Running Backs (second) and Wide Receivers in bulk (third).

We are more than "one WR" away from being legitimately competitive.

However, given our current GM's track record of offensive talent acquisition, I have little faith of any kind that he can pick quality offensive linemen and skill players regardless of how many chances he is given or how high his draft picks are.

10 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

No. If anything they should be trading down and amassing picks. This team has a lot of holes to fill. It's not just top tier talent. We have no depth whatsoever. Trading away picks won't fix that.

If we trade down, WE ARE DOOM.  Our biggest need is not the ST.   

It worked for the Bills, trading up to get their stud WR.   Who got hurt, and left the team, and now is on the Chiefs.

If it's moving up a spot or 2 for a 4th rounder, sure.   Otherwise no, you trade up for a QB.   The team has so many needs, and you need cheap players on good contracts to fill some of them.  You get those players via draft picks.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No.

The Jets should, in my opinion, stockpile picks and spend them on O-linemen (first), Running Backs (second) and Wide Receivers in bulk (third).

We are more than "one WR" away from being legitimately competitive.

However, given our current GM's track record of offensive talent acquisition, I have little faith of any kind that he can pick quality offensive linemen and skill players regardless of how many chances he is given or how high his draft picks are.

I don't know if he can draft them, he's never really tried.

11 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

Your path to success basically depend AGAIN for the thousand times on a defensive mind like Rex Ryan who made it twice to the AFC with a QB who threw for 12 TD and 20 INT.  Basically pound the ball and playing great defense.  We tried that approach for over a decade with Mangini, Rex and Bowles.  The league, my friend, had evolve and it had become an arena like high scoring league.   My point is that our biggest urgency is the development of our QB.  We need a sure thing for our GM to hit it right.  Over the last decade, our drafts has been below mediocre at best after the first round.  My approach get the best WR in the draft and signs a average-good WR.  

And yet, the overwhelming sentiment seems to be against pulling a Ricky Williams trade for a WR.  We tried the approach before but never with a QB good enough to support it.  Things are different now.

You must love mike ditka on the saints

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

That's very debatable. 

There's no correlation between Top WR and a superbowls, that's probably more likely something we can draw with QB play & Defense. That said, we should striving to find the next megatron. It increase our chances.... When you have a really good QB, the lessens the need to have a beast at WR... having one though, can make a huge a difference. 

22 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

If we trade down, WE ARE DOOM.  Our biggest need is not the ST.   

No, It's offense. As in we need one. So Sam, at least 3 linemen/OG, at least 2 WR, at least 1 RB and ideally 2. We're not getting that by trading all of our picks to get back into the top 5. 

Archived