Did Bowles really not Challenge the Safety in 1Q??

Com Toughlin

Someone said that the ref announced it couldn't be challenged, because "forward progress".

But it was the right call.  They would mark the ball at wherever it was when the defender first made contact with him.  If you hit a guy and he falls backwards, the ball gets marked at where contact was initiated - not where the guy landed.  Otherwise they should have held him up and walked him into the endzone...

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

He should’ve at least screamed holy hell and showed some emotion out there. I for one would’ve liked to see him ejected for standing up for his boys in what was an egregious call against HIS TEAM.

I agree. It truly looked like a safety. How on earth did Cousins have forward progress outside of the endzone? Cousins own momentum while trying to evade the Jets pass rush brought him inside his own endzone before being tackled there. That's a safety in my eyes. And lets be real, if that happened to the Jets on the road the refs would have called it a safety. No doubt in my mind. 

42 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I agree. It truly looked like a safety. How on earth did Cousins have forward progress outside of the endzone? Cousins own momentum while trying to evade the Jets pass rush brought him inside his own endzone before being tackled there. That's a safety in my eyes. And lets be real, if that happened to the Jets on the road the refs would have called it a safety. No doubt in my mind. 

Probably. Sometimes as a coach you have to show it to your players you have their back and are all in. All coaches preach playing with passion and intensity. Those are attributes that belong on the sideline, too.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Heck if that happened at home for the Jets it would have been a safety.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ok so 

37 to 19.

i feel better.

It's hypothetical but a safety there makes the score 9-7 Jets and gives the ball back to the NYJ with good field position. We don't really know they go on to lose the same fashion. Maybe they do but football is a game of momentum and a safety at home would have been a huge emotional swing. 

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ok so 

37 to 19.

i feel better.

It doesn't work like that. You don't just add the 2 points and then assume things would have ended up exactly the same. For one, the Jets would have scored AND received the ball back. It doesn't mean that we would have won, but it certainly would have changed everything about the game. 

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And while we're on the subject, has anyone even bothered asking why Bowles lets the $30 Jets blankets cost $150 at the gift shop?

Rebrand them as eye protection to shield fans from the train wreck foisted on them weekly?

20 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

If it happened to the Pats they would have spotted it at the two and added a  roughing the passer for touching Tommy Boy. 

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

It's hypothetical but a safety there makes the score 9-7 Jets and gives the ball back to the NYJ with good field position. We don't really know they go on to lose the same fashion. Maybe they do but football is a game of momentum and a safety at home would have been a huge emotional swing. 

I think the swing was the 65 yard punt out of bounds (no return)  That was a huge play.  They still should have had great field position, but they just ended up with decent field position.

21 hours ago, jgb said:

He should’ve at least screamed holy hell and showed some emotion out there. I for one would’ve liked to see him ejected for standing up for his boys in what was an egregious call against HIS TEAM.

LOL! That was good. He should have gone Billy Martin and kicked dirt on the home plate umpire. And they he could pull a Bobby Valentine and come back on the field with a disguise.

50 minutes ago, Maxman said:

LOL! That was good. He should have gone Billy Martin and kicked dirt on the home plate umpire. And they he could pull a Bobby Valentine and come back on the field with a disguise.

Frankly, I wish he would show some fire out there.  Right or wrong, fans want to see some emotion, some passion, some fire.  Bowles doesn't show any. At least not publicly.  Ever.  Maybe the players would get fired up if they saw some from him?  Bowles lack of emotion, passion and frozen arm crossed stance with no expression all contribute heavily to the consensus view that he sucks arse.  

Just now, Dcat said:

Frankly, I wish he would show some fire out there.  Right or wrong, fans want to see some emotion, some passion, some fire.  Bowles doesn't show any. At least not publicly.  Ever.  Maybe the players would get fired up if they saw some from him?  Bowles lack of emotion, passion and frozen arm crossed stance with no expression all contribute heavily to the consensus view that he sucks arse.  

Belichick doesn’t. Brady does it for him

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

There is a big difference between statuesque and Bobby Knight. I’m suggesting he find the balance.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Belichick doesn’t. Brady does it for him

completely irrelevant to my point.  There is no analogy possible between Belichick and Bowles. Yet you try to use that as some sort of rebuttal to the legitimate concern that Bowles shows no passion whatsoever and that is not a good thing for his players.  By the way, Belichick gets angry at refs all the time and shows it on the field.  So your analogy to Belichick is wrong as well.    You just post here to hear yourself talk.  After years of reading your pathetically lame arguments, none of which ever have adequate support, I'd prefer if you just put me on ignore.  You are not worth the time to respond to.

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

What I am told is that the consensus view is not what Bowles is concerned with. I have been told by people that deal with him behind the scenes that he shows emotion there, he just won't do it on the media. I do agree on the sidelines I want to see more fire as well. I think it motivates people up when done right. But Bowles seems to have changed some things but is set in his ways on others.

At the end of the day he will be fired or retained based on the record. I think and 8 win season this year and he is coming back next year.  Chicago is going to be a huge factor in his long term viability. You win there and they can still make some noise in the wildcard race this year. Fall to 3 and 5 and it is going to be tough.

3 hours ago, slats said:

It wasn’t a safety. If Bowles had shown some fire or emotion there and challenged it, the complaint the next day would’ve been about Bowles wasting a timeout. 

Really good point. There was a play, I think it was that one where Bowles had the flag in his hand. Started to throw it then didn't. I feel this is one area where Bowles has actually improved. He seems to have moved past the emotional challenge.

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

And if he was animated fans would want a HC who wasnt. 

We wanted Herm after his first presser then he was preacher Herm and had to go.  Got Mangini and he was praised for his serious nature until he was hated.  Got Rex and loved his personality until he became a buffoon, we were initially happy that Bowles was the anti Rex now..... 

Archived