Amari Cooper to the Cowboys.

sec101row23

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Amari might bounce back still he put up good numbers his first two years then carr got hurt. I wouldn't have wanted the jets to give a first for him but I think he can still turn out to be a good player

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

possibly yes, i'm employing a bit of hyperbole... 

eitherway - The raiders weren't going anywhere. It is what is now. 

There's no rush to dump Carr. With all these #1 picks, Gruden will be ruling the next two NFL drafts. He has the capital to take Herbert if he likes him, or wait until 2020 and get his choice of Tua, or whoever else he wants in a deeper QB class.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Would have liked to have added Cooper, but not at that price.  Good luck to him in Dallas.

So Oakland has three 1s now.

One more to tie our record from 2000!

Maybe they could get a taker for Derek Carr and REALLY clean house.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

**** that. They can have him. 

Absolutely. Cooper is no Julio Jones or AJ Green or Dez when they came out. He’s got a few years wear and tear on him as well. You don’t trade your #1 pick for used goods. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Time will tell wth Khalil

No, it won't.  Time has already spoken.  He's a future Hall of Famer. 

This "Gruden is a genius" stuff is insane.  It doesn't take a genius to get a couple first rounders for a 27-year old elite pass rusher. 

Jerry Jones is a moron for making this deal.  But Gruden is far from a genius. 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Per Shefter and ESPN   

Dallas trading a first for Cooper.  Yikes.  

What Gruden is doing is so f'ing ridiculous...it might just work. 

I completely disagreed with trading Mack, but I was never really a fan of Cooper. Getting a 1st round pick for  him was highway robbery imo. 

Sigining a 10 year deal and positioning yourself to have 5 first round picks in the next 2 seasons isnt bad when you're trying to rebuild what you destroyed. 

The Raiders will probably end up being a respectable team in a few years, meanwhile the Johnson brothers will probably have Macc on his 3rd rebuild. 

10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Pats got a much better WR for a 5th.

Yeah they did. But one with problems and a guy who hasnt displayed that talent for a full season since like 2013 if im correct. That's why they paid a 5th round pick .

However, I'd rather take Gordon and his problems for a 5th before trading for Cooper for a 1st. 

Well this is certainly better than the Mack trade because of the difference in players. Mack is arguably the best defensive player in the league and had years of quality left. Cooper is kind of a fools gold elite receiver, somebody who is good but disappears. Given the choice I take the draft value with the latter more than I would the former, because I could theoretically find a better weapon than Cooper in the draft but I'm not finding a better EDGE than Mack and he's not at an age to be replaced.

The only argument with the Mack trade is that two first rounders could be worth more than his impact, but you better hit it out of the park with them.

And Dallas is good and desperate. There's a team that needs to rebuild and fire their coaches, just get a fresh start. A little harder to do that without a first round pick though...

Gruden playing Madden with the roster. He sure knows how to build a locker room togetherness. 

Every player will be looking over their shoulder, and wondering if they are next? - I hope he picks busts. Who's next Derek Carr..

Not that I'm bothered but he's undone all of Reggie Mackenzie's work.

2 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Next up for Gruden, Carr to Jacksonville. That will complete the tank and get Oakland/Las Vegas in prime position to get Herbert. Chew on that Giants fans. 

They have 3 #1s next year.

Mack is hard to replace.   Cooper not as much

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Good heavens. The Raiders got # 1 pick for days!

The raiders will almost certainly have their own top 3 pick this year plus 2more first rounders this yr and 2 more next year. That will be 5 cost controlled first round picks in the next 2 yrs. Gruden will then cut or trade all the high priced veterans and then start over with tons of cap space and boatload of high picks. Should be interesting to watch him rebuild the team after tearing it down.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

How well do you think Gruden will draft?  In 7 years with Tampa, Talib is probably his best pick.  Gaines Adams?  Cadillac Williams?  

But.....but.............he LOVED Hackenburg....he is a QB guru so I heard.......

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23794117/oakland-raiders-coach-jon-gruden-blames-nfl-cba-qb-christian-hackenberg-struggles

Raiders' Jon Gruden blames CBA for QB Christian Hackenberg's struggles

Jun 14, 2018

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Christian Hackenberg's release from the Oakland Raidersjust three weeks after the team acquired him was more an indictment of the NFL system than it was of the third-year quarterback, coach Jon Gruden said Thursday.

"Everybody is an expert out there on Hackenberg and thinks he can't play," Gruden said as the Raiders wrapped up a three-day mandatory minicamp. "It's unfortunate, this whole collective [bargaining agreement]. How do you develop a quarterback? I don't know how you do it."

Jon Gruden has long been intrigued by Christian Hackenberg

http://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/21685/jon-gruden-has-long-been-intrigued-by-christian-hackenberg

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- At first glance, the Oakland Raiders acquiring quarterback Christian Hackenberg from the New York Jets for a conditional seventh-round pick on Tuesday seems, well, counterintuitive.

After all, the Raiders already have their franchise quarterback in Derek Carr, who signed a five-year, $125 million contract extension last summer. And they return both backups in EJ Manuel, who started a game for Oakland last year when Carr was injured with three broken bones in his back, and Connor Cook, who started the Raiders' 2016 season playoff game at Houston as a rookie when Carr broke his right ankle.

But neither Manuel nor Cook truly capture the imagination, you might say, even as Cook had more team snaps than Manuel in Tuesday's opening practice of organized team activities, and threw an impressive long touchdown pass to rookie receiver Saeed Blacknall.

Then there's this: Coach Jon Gruden was more than enamored with Hackenberg when he came out of Penn State and appeared on Gruden's QB Camp show on ESPN in 2016.

Value wise thos looks terrible but from a personnel stand point, this was a huge missing piece for Dallas

Cooper is a legit deep threat so teams will now have to defend the entire field against Dallas which will unclog the box for Elliott. It also give Dak a true #1 option at WR. 

The cost might be high and it's  a real gamble that Cooper will regain his early success  in Dallas but if it works, it could propel Dallas into the playoffs for years. That OL, with Cooper and Elliott  could make DC have nightmares.  

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

How well do you think Gruden will draft?  In 7 years with Tampa, Talib is probably his best pick.  Gaines Adams?  Cadillac Williams?  

It'll be interesting to see if a different scenario - and the passage of time - makes for different choices. It's a very different scenario jumping to the 2018 Raiders (who'll be moving cities within 2 seasons) vs. inheriting a good, veteran team short on the ability to replenish: already without two 2000 1st rounders (for Keyshawn), 2002 1st rounder, 2002 2nd rounder, 2003 1st rounder, 2004 2nd rounder. And everyone loves to forget the last 2-3 Dungy drafts weren't exactly loaded with studs either; the last pro bowler Tampa drafted was in 1997. Plus they never really had a really good QB there; they had one that was good enough to win on a team as stacked as that 2002 squad, followed by a couple more meh veterans and Chris Simms. But hey, those were his choices. Also prolly should have kept Warrick Dunn.

He's got a good OL base out there, after drafting his long-term LT and RT in 2018 (like with Darnold, no one expects their rookie seasons to be their best), to go with a trio of good, late-20s, veteran center and guards. With OL out of the way, having 5 1st round picks in the next 2 years (at least one of them possibly a #1 overall, and almost assuredly a top 3-5 overall) is no joke. Unfortunately OL it's like the only area they have shored up. Moving Carr would only add to those totals (add to the 1st round picks, and add to the existing holes). Never mind moving down from their top slot if accumulation is his game and the top available value is OL. There were rumors going back over a week that he might also trade 2017 1st round pick Conley, who's already been benched lol.

It still leaves him with the task of using the picks on actually good players who are productive during their rookie contracts. He'll certainly get every chance to get just the types of players he wants at every position so they're going to expect results eventually. 

Like I said, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

All the talking heads that are bashing Gruden will be kissing his feet in a few years. The man is stockpiling a ton of draft picks for the future. He knows that half-a$$ing it for 5 years is never the answer. Trade away all your good players. Tank. Use tons of high draft picks to build a roster best suited for the type of football you want to play. 

It's only something a guy on a massive, long term contract can pull off. 

Didn’t work so great for the Browns did it? 

At the end of the day he needs to pick the right players. 

Archived