PSA - When will Idiots finally learn? - Jets Lose, Cars Burn

Gas2No99

Fires that burned 7 cars during Jets game at MetLife Stadium blamed on hot coals

meadowlands-firejpg-d3b63014399430ef.jpg

Meadowlands firefighters work to extinguish a fire that damaged six vehicles Sunday, Oct. 21, 2018. (Meadowlands Fire Department)

If you are a New York Jets fan, Sunday's loss to the Minnesota Viking was already a big bummer.

But imagine leaving MetLife Stadium after the game to find your car burned to a crisp in the parking lot.

That's what happened to a number of people who went to Sunday's game in East Rutherford, and New Jersey State Police said hot coals from grills were to blame.

State Trooper Alejandro Goez said there were two separate incidents in the stadium's parking lots that damaged seven vehicles. Both fires were reported around 2 p.m. and extinguished by Meadowlands firefighters.

In one case, a car burned after the driver apparently parked in an area where tailgators had earlier dumped coals from their grill, Goez said. 

Another car parked over hot coals caught fire in another part of the parking lot, he said, and the fire spread to five other surrounding vehicles.

The cars were unoccupied and no one was injured, Goez said.

He said it's not the first time this has happened at the stadium, and said people should always be careful about parking anywhere that might have coals.

"Be conscious of where you park, especially when tailgating," he said. 

Jets Lose, Cars Burn

tailgatefire102218.jpg

Tailgaters who dumped hot coals in parking spaces at MetLife Stadium inadvertently barbecued seven of their fellow sportsfans' cars on Sunday. No one was hurt in the conflagrations, but a bunch of people did exit the stadium—quite possibly dejected after the Jets big loss to the Minnesota Vikings—only to find their vehicles had been incinerated. 

The Meadowlands Fire Department responded to reports of two separate blazes around 2 p.m. at the East Rutherford stadium. According to New Jersey State Police Sgt. Jeff Flynn, the incident is still under investigation, but authorities believe that one of the fires broke out after a driver parked over the still-hot coals someone had dumped out of their grill, spreading to five other cars nearby. Elsewhere in the parking lot, another car was parked on top of a pile of improperly disposed coals and burned, without affecting its neighboring vehicles. 

The vehicles were unoccupied and no injuries were reported, outside the financial disaster and staggering inconvenience that comes with jockeying your way through a post-game crowd to be greeted by a pile of smoking ruin where you'd parked your sedan mere hours before.

MetLife Stadium mandates that tailgating may only take place within designated areas, and strictly prohibits the use of grills "near buildings or in areas where guests or property may be damaged is strictly prohibited." It also furnishes big orange bins for the specific purpose of coal disposal, and warns patrons to please "not discard hot coals near vehicles or in plastic waste receptacles," because "doing so could result in car and trash fires." 

Flynn did not know if the tailgaters in question had set up camp in the special tailgating area. No charges have been brought at this time, he said, and the investigation is ongoing. Still, he emphasized that "there are coal bins at the stadium where patrons who are tailgating can discard their coals." Please take advantage of them next time, a$$holes.

17 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

I got to the game just before kickoff and most of the empty spots I found had either hot coals or piles of garbage dumped in them.  Obviously too much of a hassle to put any of it in the dumpster.

I agree that the Garbage Dumpsters and Human Torture by Stench Stalls (port-a-potties) are not located in the most practical of areas. They are mostly on the outer rim of the yellow lots or along the middle driving rim between the yellow and green lots. It's why I park closer to the outer edge - in addition to having the swamps as an alternative stench-free urinal with a view. :D

They should place more bins for coals WITHIN the lots (designate 2 parking stops as a dumping ground) and have the tools who cruise up and down the lots in the golf carts ENFORCE and ENSURE that tailgaters (seasoned veterans or young drunk newbies at their first game) UNDERSTAND that it is IMPERATIVE to put out your Fire and its embers be disposed of in the designated area. 

But to say it's "too much of a hassle," considering the danger and damage it may and HAS caused, is plain old LAZY and Trashy IMO. It's completely inconsiderate of your fellow citizen and should be frowned upon and penalized.

If they were to ban grilling in the lots, I'd seriously reconsider renewing as a STH, as it is the ONE CONSTANT JOY I derive from those autumnal mornings during football season, in JERSEY of all places!:blink: 

1 hour ago, Green DNA said:

I got to the game just before kickoff and most of the empty spots I found had either hot coals or piles of garbage dumped in them.  Obviously too much of a hassle to put any of it in the dumpster.

Blame that on the lazy tailgaters but let me ask you this wouldn't it make perfect sense for stadium employees to ride the lots and pick up the garbage bags that people fill, and designate an area for hot coals. What is the $$ going for for parking fees. These people do nothing but ride around on golf carts. 

I walked my tailgates 3 bags of garbage to the dumpster about 30 ft from where we were tailgating. Hot coals dumped along the curb line. 

19 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If only they had BIG ORANGE BINS to dispose of the hot coals. People are morons and should be held liable for any damage they caused.

They already have 2 dumpster fires burning at Met Life Stadium, do we want more?

11 hours ago, kmnj said:

jets security is terrible inside and outside the stadium-outside you see tons of folks wearing the staff type jackets and they literally do nothing but talk to each  other

Not defending the folks who let this happen but, seriously, those "security" staff are useless. Do nothing at all. Jets should fire half to send a message or something.

Just now, Cornfed said:

Not defending the folks who let this happen but, seriously, those "security" staff are useless. Do nothing at all. Jets should fire half to send a message or something.

PS - I like the police. The Jets security staff.....yeesh. Useless.

8 hours ago, Green DNA said:

I totally get the "throw your stuff away" sentiment and it was likely just lazy assholes who dump their stuff wherever they want,  but the Jets staff are a bunch of idiots too. 

The first time I tailgated at Metlife, I wondered what to do with the coals, so I asked the two morons that were riding around in the golf cart.  They literally said, "Just dump the coals and your empty water bottles/trash on the white line between the parking spots towards the front of the spot" (closest to where you pull in and out).  It was only later when I went to go use the john that I saw the huge freaking orange bins marked for hot coal disposal.

I remember one time in the meadowlands we got there late and had to park way out. As we're going in we saw these idiots stealing someone's grill and putting it in their trunk. Sure enough on the way out that car was a burnt out shell. These clowns put a grill with hot coals in it in their trunk. You can't fix stupid.

16 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

If they were to ban grilling in the lots, I'd seriously reconsider renewing as a STH, as it is the ONE CONSTANT JOY I derive from those autumnal mornings during football season, in JERSEY of all places!:blink: 

This. Tailgating on a beautiful autumn day with a bunch of your friends and other Jets fans is one of the only reasons I still make the trek out to that sh*tty stadium.

They start messing with the tailgate experience, Jets fans attendance will drop significantly, given:
- the product on the field
- the exorbitant price for a day at the stadium after including all direct and indirect costs
- the fact that the overall Sunday football experience is now so much better on TV (redzone on one device, Jets game on the other, comfy setting, whatever food and drink you want whenever you want it, watching in PJs, no sitting in traffic)

4 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This. Tailgating on a beautiful autumn day with a bunch of your friends and other Jets fans is one of the only reasons I still make the trek out to that sh*tty stadium.

They start messing with the tailgate experience, Jets fans attendance will drop significantly, given:
- the product on the field
- the exorbitant price for a day at the stadium after including all direct and indirect costs
- the fact that the overall Sunday football experience is now so much better on TV (redzone on one device, Jets game on the other, comfy setting, whatever food and drink you want whenever you want it, watching in PJs, no sitting in traffic)

Exactly.This is my 39th season of having tix. For probably the last 10 years or so, my friends and I say that the only reason we keep the tickets is the chance to spend the time together before the game. The only thing that ruins the experience is usually the Jets.

16 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Blame that on the lazy tailgaters but let me ask you this wouldn't it make perfect sense for stadium employees to ride the lots and pick up the garbage bags that people fill, and designate an area for hot coals. What is the $$ going for for parking fees. These people do nothing but ride around on golf carts.

Exactly. Blame the crowd all you want, but ultimately we're talking about generally drunk 20-50 year old males charged up on gameday emotions who are running late to the gate because they decided they had to play one more game of flip cup and take two more rounds of shots with the cute girls wearing the opposing team's gear.

You're not going to get anywhere trying to change crowd gameday behaviour in the parking lot.

I'm paying upwards of $80 sometimes to get into these lots, and I don't see a single reason why. All of these guys with power-'tudes wearing their orange reflective gear riding around on golf carts collecting a paycheck. Maybe take control of the situation, and either enforce the rules and make the tailgaters clean up properly, or the crew should take matters into their own hands.

Archived