Jets sign Rishard Matthews

Mo Lew

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think Mathews is a great pick up. I think if Darnold and him can get going it would help the over the middle plays so much more.

Agreed. I asked for him almost a month ago right when he was rumored to be cut. Back then we still had our full complement of 4 800 yard WRs. Now with 1 cut and the others struggling/injured, I'm even more in favor of this.

45 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This has nothing to do with Matthews and everything to do with the front office being inept. They'll have $100 million dollars in free agency with nobody on offense to spend it on. We'll re-sign our own WR's who we overvalue and end up in the same situation as this year. Star players rarely hit free agency especially on offense. Apparently there won't be a WR or RB in the top 20 of the first round in 2019 worthy of taking that high. So once again they won't address the average offensive talent at the skill positions in a meaningful way again. 

And if they DON'T address the offense they SHOULD BE FIRED, Period!!

You draft a QB and your plan is let his best targets be guys coming off a season ending injury or guys working at KMART, or clear #2s and you wonder why the offense might struggle at times?

Our OC has been a miracle worker IMO!!!!

1 hour ago, CaliforniaJet said:

So, as soon as Pryor becomes one of Sam's favorite targets, he ends up getting cut. Ok Jets. 

I kind of feel similarly.  Pryor and Darnold were just starting to find a rhythm.  Aside from a couple of notable drops/poor routes that led to an INT, Pryor was turning into a good target for Sam and they were starting to generate TDs.

Again, the injury can't be controlled but if it was truly just a 1-2 week thing and Pryor says he's just about 100% again then this makes no sense to me.

33 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

And if they DON'T address the offense they SHOULD BE FIRED, Period!!

You draft a QB and your plan is let his best targets be guys coming off a season ending injury or guys working at KMART, or clear #2s and you wonder why the offense might struggle at times?

Our OC has been a miracle worker IMO!!!!

It's literally amazing that this Offense has had the success it has had given a rookie QB and almost NOTHING else on offense in terms of personnel.  Seriously, look at the starters on offense and tell me how many other NFL teams they would start on?

Adams likes to talk about his New Jack City defense/secondary.  Well, the Jets offense is New JAG City because of how many mediocre/average-at-best players start for it.  #JustAnotherGuy

I think Bates could open a lemonade stand with what he's done with so many lemons!

1 hour ago, Mo Lew said:

I think your dreaming to think Pryor was coming back.  You cut someone for a reason. Todd Bowles often needs MANY reasons.  

Todd Bowles sucks. To think that Rishard Matthews and the headaches he could bring are going to somehow be an improvement over Pryor is ridiculous.  I'm telling you, Bowles has a thing. I'm not sure what it is, but he just doesn't like guys. I have no idea what went on in the locker room, but Pryor has half of the season of acclimation with Sam. If it is a choice of Matthews coming from the street over Pryor who has been here, its just dumb. 

I don't trust Todd Bowles with anything anymore. I believe this to be a big mistake. 

18 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I like this signing but it is a short term patch we need someone for darnold to grow with

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

I think Enunwa, if he can stay healthy, and Anderson are very good  young WRs and I like what I have seen from Herndon. Cannon looked explosive last week and we will see Mcguire next week. 

I do think the Jets need to find a way to secure a #1 WR, but I think beefing up the offensive line (especially at center) is the more pressing need this offseason. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I thought the Jets were the ones who said it. Not 100% sure though.

I don't think the Jets ever said it.

Jets are releasing WR Terrelle Pryor today, per league source. Pryor has a tear in his groin and is expected to be out about two weeks. Jets interested in bringing him back when healthy, but other teams also likely to be interested.

8 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't think the Jets ever said it.

Jets are releasing WR Terrelle Pryor today, per league source. Pryor has a tear in his groin and is expected to be out about two weeks. Jets interested in bringing him back when healthy, but other teams also likely to be interested.

I don’t think this suggests who said what tbh. You really can’t get much of any idea who said it by that tweet.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t think this suggests who said what tbh. You really can’t get much of any idea who said it by that tweet.

Schefter sheds no light on where he got that info. IMO, if the Jets wanted him back , they wouldn't say it because it infers they like him which only would encourage another team to sign him. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

BTW, Bears are a 7 point favorite at home against the Jets. Weird spread because the Vikings were less of a favorite than the Bears are. And I think the Vikings are better. HFA that much of a difference

We played the Vikings at home, the Bears game is in Chicago.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm just confused.  What could Pryor have done?  Mathews is known for being a turd too, so I dont get this other than one is healthy and the other isnt....even though, maybe Pryor is???  Just doesnt really make sense, Darnold was developing a connection with Pryor, just like he was with Charles Johnson and McBride...but we dont bring them back, we go for a malcontent kicked off a team?

Bizarre.  I mean, we need the help so it's better than having Roberts and Peake running routes but this is just a weird chain of events.  

I think it's like that old river crossing puzzle.  You can't have TWO headcase, medium-talent WR's on your roster at once, so we had to get creative.  We probably couldn't even have Matthews come in for his workout visit with Pryor around, because of how explosive their personalities are. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_crossing_puzzle

A river crossing puzzle is a type of puzzle in which the object is to carry items from one river bank to another, usually in the fewest number of trips. The difficulty of the puzzle may arise from restrictions on which or how many items can be transported at the same time, or which or how many items may be safely left together.

it's signings like this that kind of make it pretty clear the front office has very low expectations for this team.  it's not a signing that will get them over the top mainly because because they're still muddling in the valley.  but the real question is when are they going to make those super moves that get the right players to make a serious playoff run?  and let's not use the darnold being a rookie an excuse.  the steelers did pretty well when roethlisberger was a rookie.  the patsie did pretty well when brady replaced bledsoe.  the common thread is the rest of the teams were pretty much all built so they didn't need to rely solely on great qb play.

i'm not going to hold my breath. they needed to have at least 11 players ready to run into the future and i'm not sure they have more than 5 or 6. 

Archived