Giants trade Eli (Apple) to Saints

jackhuntr

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Guys, Eli was a huge bust and a malcontent.

They were begging someone to take him. But yes ... 1-6 with an aged roster..you gotta blow it up.

They really can’t blow it up that much though.  Vernon, OBJ, Solder are too cap prohibiting to move now.  Not sure they can have a Raider like fire sale.  

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

I feel like we're seeing more trades in the NFL over the past few years than normal, am I wrong? 

Not sure the numbers but I'm sure you're right.  3 reasons that I can guess why that's happening:

1) Tanking has become more of a real thing in the league across the board.  So, much like the NBA and MLB, it makes sense to trade away talent if you're not a contender.  Especially since even mid-late 1st round picks are a lot more valuable for NFL teams than NBA 1st rounders outside of the top 5.  And early round picks operate like hot prospects in the MLB. 

2) The trade deadline is later in the season than it used to be.  It used to be Week 6, when some teams still weren't certain what they have. 

3) The salary cap.  With more money than ever going to veteran players, sometimes teams have to avoid honoring sunken costs and just dump a player.  We even saw an NBA-esque salary dump a couple years ago, where the Texans moved down in the draft in a trade with the Browns, in exchange for the Browns taking on Brock Osweiler's bloated salary.  Meanwhile, rookies are cheaper than ever, so that's another reason early draft picks have never been more valuable to have. 

Just now, BigO said:

Jints will trade Eli to the Jags ? makes sense.

Why would it make sense to bring in an older, less athletic version of bortles to Jax?  Bortles is Eli, a younger and more mobile version. One week can look really good, the next like a rookie. He played well in their postseason run last year. He led his O to more points on the road in the title game at NE than Eli on neutral field vs. NE in 2 SBs

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

If you ever had a fetish to make a run at OBJ, now's the time.  Mara, Gettleman, Shurmur are primed for it...

I HATE him personally. I don’t think the giants would want to have to read about him constantly especially if he did well with us. They’d trade him anywhere else. Colts need to give Luck a weapon and they have the draft capital thanks to us. 

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I HATE him personally. I don’t think the giants would want to have to read about him constantly especially if he did well with us. They’d trade him anywhere else. Colts need to give Luck a weapon and they have the draft capital thanks to us. 

Agree but SOME team should be able to pick him off well below market if they have the cap room...

Archived