Giants trade Eli (Apple) to Saints

jackhuntr

Giants: what will you give us for Eli?

Saints: we will give you a 4th next year.

Giants: great, he will make a great 3rd string QB and show you how to sell fake merchandise for a premium.

Saints: oh, you meant Manning, we thought you were trading Apple. We will take Manning but you are going to have to pay through the nose.

Giants: fine, you can have Apple, but can you through in a 7th then?

Saints: deal, but not until 2020.

it kind of underscores how bad the barkley pick really was. not that barkley is a bad player but if the giaints make a qb change to a rookie next season then that just puts barkley one year closer to getting out of his rookie deal or getting banged up or both.  backs don't last very long. maybe they still needed to have eli this season but then they should've shopped the 2 pick hard and gotten some help everywhere else.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Why would it make sense to bring in an older, less athletic version of bortles to Jax?  Bortles is Eli, a younger and more mobile version. One week can look really good, the next like a rookie. He played well in their postseason run last year. He led his O to more points on the road in the title game at NE than Eli on neutral field vs. NE in 2 SBs

Eli is experienced. Bortles is not. Eli’s won 2 SB’s. Bortles zippo. Eli has a strong connection to Coughlin and Jags just may have had their fill of Bortles. Jags can probably get Eli for a conditional pick. Neither team has much to lose here. Jags just benched the horrible Bortles for Cody Kessler. Do you really think that team that is pretty much a QB away from going deep into the playoffs want to pin their hopes on Cody Kessler? Commando Cody yes but not Cody Kessler. 

B79AC074-1AD0-4FDD-BC0A-0057533A7D03.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not sure the numbers but I'm sure you're right.  3 reasons that I can guess why that's happening:

1) Tanking has become more of a real thing in the league across the board.  So, much like the NBA and MLB, it makes sense to trade away talent if you're not a contender.  Especially since even mid-late 1st round picks are a lot more valuable for NFL teams than NBA 1st rounders outside of the top 5.  And early round picks operate like hot prospects in the MLB. 

2) The trade deadline is later in the season than it used to be.  It used to be Week 6, when some teams still weren't certain what they have. 

3) The salary cap.  With more money than ever going to veteran players, sometimes teams have to avoid honoring sunken costs and just dump a player.  We even saw an NBA-esque salary dump a couple years ago, where the Texans moved down in the draft in a trade with the Browns, in exchange for the Browns taking on Brock Osweiler's bloated salary.  Meanwhile, rookies are cheaper than ever, so that's another reason early draft picks have never been more valuable to have. 

I would add that the carry over of cap space makes one year rentals have more value and the team dumping salary gets the benefit from saving money that year.  Dump half a $9M season, and you can push $4.5M over to your 2019 cap.  That didn't used to be a thing, at least not to the extent it is now.

I was just thinking last night I wonder what the giants would take for Apple. I saw a rumor that we contacted the cards about Patrick Peterson but Apple I think would have been better as I don't see us getting Peterson cheap plus he is older. Maybe they would do a straight trade for tru?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:38 PM, BigO said:

Eli is experienced. Bortles is not. Eli’s won 2 SB’s. Bortles zippo. Eli has a strong connection to Coughlin and Jags just may have had their fill of Bortles. Jags can probably get Eli for a conditional pick. Neither team has much to lose here. Jags just benched the horrible Bortles for Cody Kessler. Do you really think that team that is pretty much a QB away from going deep into the playoffs want to pin their hopes on Cody Kessler? Commando Cody yes but not Cody Kessler. 

B79AC074-1AD0-4FDD-BC0A-0057533A7D03.jpeg

Bortles has playoff experience including beating Pittsburgh on the road when his D allowed 42 points.  Eli has never won a playoff game when his D allowed more than 20. Their problems aren't all about the QB, their vaunted D has been getting shredded.  Until they fix those problems there isn't any hope no matter who is under C.  Bortles is what he is(and what Eli is), an up and down QB that sometimes can look really good and other times look really bad.  Coughlin won 2 SBs thanks to great Defense, Jax has the makings of a great D but didn't play like it in div rd and title game last year or they would have made the SB.

Archived