Powell to IR, Jets sign Safety

CrazyCarl40

13 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

You mean like he gains 40 pounds? He's already in 88.8 SPARQ physical shape.

not 40 but the dude needs 1-2 years in an NFL strength and conditioning program. He's plenty fast and explosive just needs to get a little bigger. Totally normal from a guy coming from D2 Virginia State 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I hope Powell is OK. He’s been a great under the radar player for us over the years.

Does anybody else see the LeVeon Bell to the Jets rumors picking back up shortly?

I was thinking the same thing.  It actually isn't crazy.  Steelers are primed to do a deal.  Question is whether Bell can be signed long term at a non-ridiculous level...

29 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I hope Powell is OK. He’s been a great under the radar player for us over the years.

Does anybody else see the LeVeon Bell to the Jets rumors picking back up shortly?

Bell isn’t reporting until after the trade deadline.  Can’t trade him until he signs his franchise tag I believe.  

19 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Yes, thank you.  I thought there was another pending move.  

So only 2 active RBs this week?  

Maybe they wait until Saturday, waive someone like Burnett, and move up De'Angelo Henderson.  They then waive him Monday, activate McGuire and resign Henderson and Burnett to PS (maybe waive JJ Jones)

48 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Should maybe consider drafting running backs instead of D2 defensive tackles.

FWIW, Shepherd's snap count creeped back into the 30%'s after 2 weeks in the 20%'s and I actually do recall him being on the field of play.  Pretty sure he got an assist and little hit on Cousins.  woot woot!!!

9 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Powell is really good at picking up blitzes

I love Powell in an emotional capacity as a Jets fan, but in terms of what he provides on the field, this is the most important part of his game that will be missed. On 3rd downs, he was generally money in pass protection, which is a huge help to Sam. His production will probably be replicated at only a marginally lesser rate by Cannon/Elijah.

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Okay, you all will hate me you want to keep draft picks but just try to see about Bell if you are serious about winning games this year.

Crow isn’t going to cut it and Eli/Cannon are reserves

but why? You think we're going to the superbowl? Playoff teams will eat Sam for breakfast lunch and dinner. He's a rookie. 

Is this NFL-wide fans afflection, or specific to NY? It's like we completely lose perspective. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Ugh!  Seriously?  Powell is out for the year?  That is brutal.  I'm not sure anyone on that offense comes ready to play week in week out more than Powell.  Dude fights for every inch and is crucial in every aspect of the offense; running the ball, blocking, catching out of the backfield, etc.  Brutal loss.  Now Sam's only serviceable RB is a lazy loafing turd, pun intended.  

This is bad news.   Crow sucks. 

Crowell is not serviceable?  He makes his mistakes, but you must be bind.  He has been far more productive than Powell.  Frankly, I'd like the Jets to replace them both next year because they are an inferior RB tandem in the NFL.

Crow has 459yds + 5 rushing TDs.  Powell, who has started every game, has the same number of attempts but only 343 yards and no rushing TDs.  Crowell has 9 receptions while Powell has 11 and a TD.  

The only advantage I see in Powell is his pass protection.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

but why? You think we're going to the superbowl? Playoff teams will eat Sam for breakfast lunch and dinner. He's a rookie. 

Is this NFL-wide fans afflection, or specific to NY? It's like we completely lose perspective. 

It seriously doesn’t even matter if we are going to the super bowl. We need playmakers. We need a running game.

Sam is already having a tough time. No RB makes that twice as bad. I bet we’ll be chasing him in FA anyway. Might as well.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It seriously doesn’t even matter if we are going to the super bowl. We need playmakers. We need a running game.

Sam is already having a tough time. No RB makes that twice as bad. I bet we’ll be chasing him in FA anyway. Might as well.

i don't have a problem spending money on playmakers... i have a problem spending draft capital under the circumstances we're in. That's insane. 

How about this for a mantra. Nothing that will keep todd employed here. That's the litmus test for any more ideas like this. "Does this move help Todd keep his job..." if the answer is yes -- JUNK IT.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i don't have a problem spending money on playmakers... i have a problem spending draft capital under the circumstances we're in. That's insane. 

How about this for a mantra. Nothing will keep todd employed here. That's the litmus test for any more ideas like this. "Does this move help Todd keep his job..." if the answer is yes -- JUNK IT.

As fans who want Bowles gone, that is easy for us to say lmao. It would be in Macc and Bowles best interest to do this though. 5-11 isn’t going to cut it anymore. They need to make a move.

I also have no problem spending draft capital on an All Pro RB. That’s just me.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

As fans who want Bowles gone, that is easy for us to say lmao. It would be in Macc and Bowles best interest to do this though. 5-11 isn’t going to cut it anymore. They need to make a move.

I also have no problem spending draft capital on an All Pro RB. That’s just me.

You guys need to stop with this trading for Bell stuff.  He hasn’t signed his tag yet, isn’t reporting till after the trade deadline and already having his agents trying to negotiate a 2 week roster exception for him when he does come back.  

Time to move on boys.  

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Brutal. Things are about to go from bad to worse. Powell is really good at picking up blitzes and can catch the ball out of the backfield.  

I think that it's a blessing. Powell, though I love and admire him, is always injured. Moreover, he's become JAG when he used to be a fast, quick, elusive RB. Unfortunately, you play behind the Jets OL, you're bound to become lesser.

And they really didn't utilize RBs in the passing game enough.

too bad the rookie QB can't keep up with the revolving door of skill players this year...

Not Powell! Awwwwww...?

I really hope they bring him back. He's never been pro bowl level great but he's always been good to fill in the gaps the Jets have had in their running game, the occasional big run, timely catch, needed block, you name it. He'll be on the wrong side of 30 but I don't see the harm or financial difficulty in bringing him back for another year. Either some other younger guy out plays him or he'll do his usual thing for another year.

As for our current RB situation, I'll feel a lot better if a healthy Eli is around if only just to have somebody around to spell Crowell who can handle being the leading man. Cannon also needs to step up, if not as a pure rusher than as a check down option with speed. It's gonna be ugly on the ground in Chicago...

IMG_8200.jpg

Just when it seemed like the Jets injury situation couldn’t get much worse, it just did.  Running back Bilal Powell has been placed on injured reserve with a neck injury that he suffered in Sunday’s 37-17 loss to the Minnesota Vikings.  Sadly, that will probably be Powell’s last game as a New York Jet.

Coming up on 30 years old, Powell is in the final year of his contract on a team that’s in the midst of a youth movement. With that being the case, common sense would lead one to believe that Powell’s days in Green and White are over.  A harsh reality for the longest tenured player on the team who has been a consummate pro from the day he arrived.

Several times throughout his career, Powell was pushed aside in favor of inferior backs whose production fell short of that of Powell’s, but he never said a word.  Powell showed up every day, did his job as a runner, a receiver and a blocker, with more success than any casual fan is capable of understanding.

It’s a tough day for Jets fans and an even tougher one for Powell, whose class, work ethic and production will be difficult to replace.

The post Bilal Powell Placed on IR, Likely Finished as a Jet appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
LzhyzHch_NM

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Crowell is not serviceable?  He makes his mistakes, but you must be bind.  He has been far more productive than Powell.  Frankly, I'd like the Jets to replace them both next year because they are an inferior RB tandem in the NFL.

Crow has 459yds + 5 rushing TDs.  Powell, who has started every game, has the same number of attempts but only 343 yards and no rushing TDs.  Crowell has 9 receptions while Powell has 11 and a TD.  

The only advantage I see in Powell is his pass protection.

Ummmm no, if you read my post you'd see my exact words were "now Sam's only serviceable RB is...."....referring to Crow.  Doesnt change the fact he's a lazy loafing turd who only gives you effort when he feels like it and only attempts to run hard when he see's a lane the size of the grand canyon.  

The stats do not tell the whole story.  Crow has had 2 good games statistically which have totally titled his season totals because of 3 big runs (77, 55, 54).  I hate when people do this and I'm only doing because it's plainly obvious Crow gives as little effort as possible; but if you take away those 3 runs away, he's averaging 2.6 ypc.  Bilal is average 4.3 with a long of 31 and I dont think for one second if that ball was handed to Powell on those runs, that he couldnt have taken them to the house as well.  

Crow is an absolute bum who only gets what the OL gives him.  He never, ever, fights for the extra yard or gets something out of nothing which Bilal routinely does.  And he has no shame when he gets stuffed to stand up and start cursing out the OL.  He's a turd.  

Archived