Next year draft is loaded at defense and very weak at Offense

DRJETS

I was just checking Todd Mcshay and Mel Kiper jr. board for next year WR draft.  They are predicting one of the weakest WR class ever.  I guess this was the reason Dallas gave a first for Cooper.   I can see team reaching for next year WR class.

Todd Mcshay top 32

19. N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State*

Grade: 88 | Height: 6-4 | Weight: 220 | Previous: 17

A big target with good body control, Harry will go and get it for you, and he consistently rewards his quarterback for throwing him 50-50 balls. Even at 6-foot-4, he is a threat after the catch and regularly runs right through contact. Not a flier, he is still a dangerous deep threat. Additionally, he isn't afraid to do the dirty work in the middle of the field, and he is a tough blocker. He has been held under 60 yards receiving just once this season, and he already is at 481 yards on the season and has collected five touchdowns (plus an additional rushing score).

22. A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss*

Grade: 87 | Height: 6-1 | Weight: 230 | Previous: 22

Brown often looks longer than his 6-foot-1 frame, with a better-than-average catch radius and the ability to pluck the ball out over his head; he also will make tough catches in traffic. And he moves quicker than most players his size. He needs to improve his route-running and clean up the occasional focus drop. Brown already has 50 catches for 650 yards this season. With D.K. Metcalfdown for the year, he'll be even more important in the Rebels' pass game.

25. Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma*

Grade: 86 | Height: 5-9 | Weight: 168 | Previous: 25

Brown is a burner, and though he lacks ideal size, he has the ability to win vertically and create chunk yardage after the catch. Brown also has soft hands and can pluck the ball away from his body even while he's in fifth gear. He will get pushed around a bit at times by bigger press-man corners, but he is a savvy route runner and explodes from the line of scrimmage. Averaging 20.5 yards per catch, Brown has seven touchdowns and 675 yards this season for the Sooners.

29. Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina

Grade: 85 | Height: 6-0 | Weight: 210 | Previous: 32

Samuel is electric with the ball in his hands, whether after the catch, on a carry or returning kickoffs. There's a noticeable second gear, and he flashes the ability to run away from pursuit when he gets a crease. As a pass-catcher, he needs to limit trapping the ball, but he can make tough catches. Additionally, there is room for him to grow as a route runner. He has 33 catches for 382 yards and four touchdowns.

Mel Kiper jr is more pessimist with next year WR class and only has one WR on his board.  

22. Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma*

Height: 5-9 | Weight: 168 | Previously: 19

I wrote about Brown as a riser a few weeks ago -- he's a big-play threat on every route. He has game-changing speed and is dynamic after the catch. Since the start of the 2017 season, he has 16 catches of 40-plus yards. Brown can play in the slot or outside, creating easy separation with that speed. And he's not one-dimensional; he runs every route that NFL teams want to see. The question is size -- at 5-9, he doesn't look like a No. 1 wide receiver. But the NFL is changing: Speed is everything. He can be a deep threat at the next level, in the mold of John Ross, who has started to flash his talent in Year 2. Brown should be in the discussion for Round 1, especially after he works out at the combine.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jbt said:

can go the FA route for rb and WR.  draft oline and pass rushers

It is loaded with pass rusher but only one OL on  Mcshay and Kiper board.   Mcc got to hit the jackpot and guess right in later round but knowing his track record dealing in later round, we are doom. 

4 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

It is loaded with pass rusher but only one OL on  Mcshay and Kiper board.   Mcc got to hit the jackpot and guess right in later round but knowing his track record dealing in later round, we are doom. 

Would love to see another OL guy, but the biggest, probably two biggest needs on this team are guys who can get to the QB.

12 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

Not sure about that because one of the few late round picks he has hit was Brandon Shell, an OL. So the proof is there

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Not sure about that because one of the few late round picks he has hit was Brandon Shell, an OL. So the proof is there

One average OT in three year.  Our OL is at the bottom in the league.  Not a good track record on my book. 

This thread neglects the fact edge OLB is by far the worst position on the roster, possibly the worst positional corp in all of football. They are scheming sacks by blitzing DBs but let's not pretend like the Jets going Defense is such a terrible outcome.

As they have no capital to trade up anymore Mac will sit and wait for value, like usual. If it's a hand in the dirt DL ranked top 10 who still there when they pick 16 or whatever it will be a DL. Jets be Jetsing.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This thread neglects the fact edge OLB is by far the worst position on the roster, possibly the worst positional corp in all of football. They are scheming sacks by blitzing DBs but let's not pretend like the Jets going Defense is such a terrible outcome.

As they have no capital to trade up anymore Mac will sit and wait for value, like usual. If it's a hand in the dirt DL ranked top 10 who still there when they pick 16 or whatever it will be a DL. Jets be Jetsing.

You just know Mac will go for one of the DT/DE  tweeners that was rated to go top 5 but ‘fell” in his lap.  

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If they pick 16, you are thinking 7-9?

I hate to give my annual speech because our gm can't draft outside the gimme top 6 picks but.  Trade down this year if we can and acquire picks for next year or go quantity over quality.  I have been asking gor an olb pass rusher for years but we simply cannot keep drafting D every single year we have no talent on offense.

What does the RB crop look like this year?

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I hate to give my annual speech because our gm can't draft outside the gimme top 6 picks but.  Trade down this year if we can and acquire picks for next year or go quantity over quality.  I have been asking gor an olb pass rusher for years but we simply cannot keep drafting D every single year we have no talent on offense.

No first round RBs, the second round could be a sweet spot if all these defensive guys go high.  There will be some good OTs and receivers in the bottom of the first and through the second round.  

25 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You’ll have 5 WRs and 5 O linemen go in the first.  

I can see team reaching from later round into first.  They are a lot of team in desperate need of WR.  From I read so far,  if we can grab Marquise Brown it will be success.

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Tonti, I understand your point but when is enough is enough with drafting defense in the first?  Our most pressure needs in my eye is the development of our franchise QB.  Offense are winning in the NFL. 

I value LT higher than WR, and if we are in position to draft a good one in the first I say go LT. If not, I’m all for going WR in round 1. We need serious weapons on offense. 

Signing Bell, and drafting a WR with one of our first 3 picks (while bringing Robbie and Enunwa back) would be ideal.

But OL is most important spot to upgrade. 

Paradis from Denver , I believe is a restricted FA, but I would go and try to get him in the offseason to upgrade from Long.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Teams like Oakland and others are loading up with draft capital and it may not just be for quantity of picks. It may be for flexibility and they may be willing to trade up.

We FINALLY need to be on the end of a good trade down. I’ve always been a big believer in trade downs and increasing picks in rounds 1-4. You can’t go wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

24. Bryce Love, RB, Stanford

Grade: 86 | Height: 5-10 | Weight: 202 | Previous: 23

Incredibly productive, Love is an explosive runner with the burst to turn the corner and the speed to pull away when he gets a seam. He has the foot speed to bounce between gaps and make defenders miss. He also shows a willingness to wait on blocks. He needs to get more involved as a pass-catcher (just six receptions this year). Injuries also will be a concern. He missed time earlier this season and hasn't played since leaving the Notre Dame game with an ankle injury. The numbers are down a little, as his yards per carry have dropped from 8.1 last year to just 4.3, but he seems to be turning the corner after a tough season debut against San Diego State.

This is the only RB on Todd Mcshay top 32.  Kiper do not have a RB on his board.  So no sure thing like Barkley in next year draft.  I'm sure there are some Karren Hunt for a good GM to find in later round. 

45 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

One average OT in three year.  Our OL is at the bottom in the league.  Not a good track record on my book. 

Why do people keep saying this.  It's wrong, not nearly as bad as was predicted or in actuality.

25 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You just know Mac will go for one of the DT/DE  tweeners that was rated to go top 5 but ‘fell” in his lap.  

Yeah.  Because he took one DL in the first in his 4 drafts.  Who was said to be the best player in the draft, proves it.  ;)

1 hour ago, DRJETS said:

I was just checking Todd Mcshay and Mel Kiper jr. board for next year WR draft.  They are predicting one of the weakest WR class ever.  I guess this was the reason Dallas gave a first for Cooper.   I can see team reaching for next year WR class.

Todd Mcshay top 32

Stop. Right there.

Those two muppets couldn't draft their way out of Mike Maccagnan sweepstakes contest... and it's actually the opposite. It's a GOOD receiver class. Fck those guys are idiots... On top of everything - the have HARRY as their #1!!  A guy who, like Treadwell, has some serious speed concerns.

What a joke. 

AJ Brown (and the other ole miss WR who's hurt) are both 1st round legit receivers. Anthony Johnson is right there, along with M Brown and some people would say R. Ridley

And there's the depth this year - which is staggeringly good. The two TEXAS recievers (Johnson & Humphrey) Samuel, Harmon, Baylor's convert - Hurd, the ND canuck Claypool, the list goes on and on.

I can't believe those two fck heads are paid to dispense drivel. 

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Teams like Oakland and others are loading up with draft capital and it may not just be for quantity of picks. It may be for flexibility and they may be willing to trade up.

We FINALLY need to be on the end of a good trade down. I’ve always been a big believer in trade downs and increasing picks in rounds 1-4. You can’t go wrong. 

Once a team has their Quarterback (which we actually finally do...still sounds and feels surreal) I believe in trading down every year as much as possible.

I’d love if we traded down, and even out of the first round (unless we are in a spot to get a LT we love). There’s enough depth in this draft at pass rusher, and the quality of (a lot WR’s being late 1st/2nd rd prospects) to be able to get similar value for trading down.

Problem is, this draft has maybe 1 first round QB prospect, and we won’t be picking in the top 3. There’s no monster WR that a contender needs. I don’t see much available that teams would be willing to trade up big for. There could be short trade ups depending on needs, and how the draft shakes out.

I’m assuming we’ll be picking around 10. There could be an EDGE or LT available that a team in the teens wants, and will trade up for.

19 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

No first round RBs, the second round could be a sweet spot if all these defensive guys go high.  There will be some good OTs and receivers in the bottom of the first and through the second round.  

I know we say it every year -- but this time it's legit -- "If ever there was a year we need to trade back...."

OTs, OLBs, WRs... RBs there's a bounty of 'em in the rounds 2-4

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I know we say it every year -- but this time it's legit -- "If ever there was a year we need to trade back...."

OTs, OLBs, WRs... RBs there's a bounty of 'em in the rounds 2-4

Agreed.  Ideally go from 13ish to the mid 20s and get a pick in the second. Or move your way down incrementally and acquire multiple seconds.  

52 minutes ago, bitonti said:

we're not drafting @ 16 

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Pass rushing OLB is by far our biggest need and there will be elite prospects at where we are picking like Josh Allen from KY

For WRs resign Q and sign a couple mid level players

mmmm....I love me some broken Darnold ribs....

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Pass rushing OLB is by far our biggest need and there will be elite prospects at where we are picking like Josh Allen from KY

For WRs resign Q and sign a couple mid level players

We have drafted players for a decade and still a D player is our biggest need, sad indictment on our gms.  With todd bowles at the helm i am not sure olb would be used properly.

We just got a young qb and our solution to get a few mid level wrs which is what we have now.

If we pick and olb with our 1st we better be going all offense the rest of the way

Archived