Cannon or McGuire?

RoadFan

Mcguire.  I think Cannon ends up on the practice squad next year.

You don't think he would have been placed on the PS already if they didn't have faith in him? Think about it he hasn't returned any kicks on specials. The Jets must believe they have something here with Cannon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Honestly, they're both mediocre at best. McGuire lacks acceleration and Cannon can't hold on to the ball. Our RB situation is pretty terrible. And I don't see the Jets organization spending any capital on fixing it.

You don't think they take a hard run at Le'V in the off season?  I hate fraud agency... but the Jets need an offensive center piece.  A reliable chain-mover.  This...a good drive.  six 3 and outs.  And then another good drive stuff isn't going to work.

Honestly, they're both mediocre at best. McGuire lacks acceleration and Cannon can't hold on to the ball. Our RB situation is pretty terrible. And I don't see the Jets organization spending any capital on fixing it.

You obviously missed the 69 yard TD last year which was all about tremendous acceleration and top end speed. 

7 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Our line sucks, doesn't matter.

This is such a misguided post.  Aside from Long's hand injury/snapping the Line has performed better then expectations and Shell is having an all around excellent year.

Teams struggle vs jacksonville and cleveland, it happens.  Sunday will be a good test, and hopefully Mack's ankle keeps him at less than 100% but our line certainly doesnt suck.

Really.

Lacks acceleration?  Thats actually his strong suit.

My concern with McGuire is durability as he has struggled with injuries his whole career.  He happens to be an excellent fit for the zone scheme we are running and could really provide home run potential.  

As far as cannon, he has big play ability out of the backfield, but cannot be trusted to be more then a 7-12 touch player (including catches) at this point nor can he hold up in pass pro.  The jets either need to really make sure henderson is ready for some sort of role off the PS or sign a veteran because going with Crowell and Cannon for 1 week is fine, having to do that for longer if McGuire goes down is a huge problem, especially as it gets colder.

We should send a 7th rounder to detroit for Ameer Abdullah.

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Lacks acceleration?  Thats actually his strong suit.

My concern with McGuire is durability as he has struggled with injuries his whole career.  He happens to be an excellent fit for the zone scheme we are running and could really provide home run potential.  

As far as cannon, he has big play ability out of the backfield, but cannot be trusted to be more then a 7-12 touch player (including catches) at this point nor can he hold up in pass pro.  The jets either need to really make sure henderson is ready for some sort of role off the PS or sign a veteran because going with Crowell and Cannon for 1 week is fine, having to do that for longer if McGuire goes down is a huge problem, especially as it gets colder.

We should send a 7th rounder to detroit for Ameer Abdullah.

He's also an exceptional receiver out of the backfield

I don't think Mcguire lacks acceleration. He clearly has that. I don't think he can physically carry the load that a starting NFL back has too. At least not yet. Lets face it, the Jets are in trouble here and this game is going to be a rough one. I don't think I've ever seen a team lose as many guys in the amount of time the Jets have.

Oh and Ameer Abdullah is not worth ANY pick. You think the Jets guys are JAG's? Abdullah's picture should be beside that in the dictionary. PASS.

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I don't think Mcguire lacks acceleration. He clearly has that. I don't think he can physically carry the load that a starting NFL back has too. At least not yet. Lets face it, the Jets are in trouble here and this game is going to be a rough one. I don't think I've ever seen a team lose as many guys in the amount of time the Jets have.

Oh and Ameer Abdullah is not worth ANY pick. You think the Jets guys are JAG's? Abdullah's picture should be beside that in the dictionary. PASS.

Spot on.

Play them both and throw Henderson in there as well.  What purpose is there in giving Crowell 20 carries a game at this point?  You have an opportunity to evaluate these younger guys, would be nice to know going into next season if these guys are actually viable NFL RBs.  

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Play them both and throw Henderson in there as well.  What purpose is there in giving Crowell 20 carries a game at this point?  You have an opportunity to evaluate these younger guys, would be nice to know going into next season if these guys are actually viable NFL RBs.  

Play the guys who give you the best chance to win. The Vikings are a very good team. We lost. The season isn't over by a long stretch.

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

What any competent organization would do. Being it's the Jets, strike this thought from your mind.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

What any competent organization would do. Being it's the Jets, strike this thought from your mind.

Lol. You evaluate players in training camp, exhibition season, and practice. you play the players who give you the best chance to win. At the end of the year, when your out of the playoff picture, you can evaluate players during games. At 3-4 , your giving up on winning more games. Hope the Jets aren't.

There’s a place for both. 

Best NFL offenses have plays for smaller, faster RBs who catch out of the backfield. Cannon can play that role.

McGuire should be the complement to Crowell.  

In all, there’s enough talent among the 3 to justify 35-40 total touches per game.

34 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

There’s a place for both. 

Best NFL offenses have plays for smaller, faster RBs who catch out of the backfield. Cannon can play that role.

McGuire should be the complement to Crowell.  

In all, there’s enough talent among the 3 to justify 35-40 total touches per game.

We aren’t acquiring anyone so we either take a chance and see what we have with our young RBs and TEs or we lose anyways. Might as well see what we have so we can cut deadweight on offseason. 

3 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Cant hold onto the ball?  Because he muffed a couple of punts?

3 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Has Cannon fumbled from the RB position? I wouldn't let him near the punt return team, but speed like his is a weapon the Jets need to utilize and their opponents would have to account for. McGuire's not available this week, so Cannon will be a part of the gameplan. Be interesting to see how he does in that role for the first time this year. 

These guys were sixth-round picks. Players last that long because they're imperfect and need development. They're not expected to get on the field Day One and look like finished products. Both have shown flashes and will see expanded roles the rest of the season. It's a good opportunity for them. I hope they take advantage. 

If Powell's injury is indeed career-threatening, I'd expect the Jets to find another free agent RB to replace him next season. They haven't drafted a RB as high as the third round since Shonn Greene in '09, and they haven't drafted a RB as high as the second since LaMont Jordan in '01. Organizationally, they generally prefer veteran RBs and have done pretty well with them. 

I think they've activated Cannon in if not all most of the games.  And in some of them he's not really hit the field except maybe on STs. They obviously believe in his talent. And he has some stats recently and made a few big plays. But as far as being a main running back and not just a 3rd or 4th guy who changes the pace I take McGuire if he is ready. He looked like he could take that role until he got injured. 

Archived