Cannon or McGuire?

RoadFan

1 hour ago, genot said:

Lol. You evaluate players in training camp, exhibition season, and practice. you play the players who give you the best chance to win. At the end of the year, when your out of the playoff picture, you can evaluate players during games. At 3-4 , your giving up on winning more games. Hope the Jets aren't.

I agree, play guys who give you the best chance. With a healthy Crowell and Powell, there isn't even a discussion. But with only one left, the whole picture has changed. The Jets obviously think McGuire and Cannon are good enough to be on the team. Now that you need at least one of them to replace Powell, you have to give them a shot. Not giving up, you are using your entire team. Big difference.

33 minutes ago, section314 said:

I agree, play guys who give you the best chance. With a healthy Crowell and Powell, there isn't even a discussion. But with only one left, the whole picture has changed. The Jets obviously think McGuire and Cannon are good enough to be on the team. Now that you need at least one of them to replace Powell, you have to give them a shot. Not giving up, you are using your entire team. Big difference.

I had the feeling the way they were talking up Mcguire,that they were going to work him in as the season went on, with the thought of not resigning Powell in the off season.

1 hour ago, roscoeword said:

.. I remember one year we had absolutely no rbs, and picked up kevin barlow. That was a fun year. 

Dude, dont disrespect *Kevan like that.  He was crucial in that muddy game we won that year in New England.  CRUCIAL!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Why not both? Crowell is a jag other two aren't special either but might as give them some carries and see what they can do.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

DUH ? Crowell is banged up. Why he even played last week was moronic. Cannon should have spelled him. Cannon showed some nice flashes in preseason. Bowles is a moron for not injecting him into the game plan earlier. McGuire has fresh legs so it’s a no brainer for both to play. Let Cro heal. I’d rather see Cannon over McGuire. Kid is electric.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly.  The idea that he cant carry as RB without fumbling is wrong at this point

We're in a close game with the Bears. Cannon gets the ball, fumbles, leading to a jet loss. Can you imagine the reaction to that on this board.

10 minutes ago, genot said:

We're in a close game with the Bears. Cannon gets the ball, fumbles, leading to a jet loss. Can you imagine the reaction to that on this board.

The "I told you so" posts will shut down the net.

Then again if he has a big day we'll see the "I told you he was a sleeper" posts lol

1 hour ago, BigO said:

DUH ? Crowell is banged up. Why he even played last week was moronic. Cannon should have spelled him. Cannon showed some nice flashes in preseason. Bowles is a moron for not injecting him into the game plan earlier. McGuire has fresh legs so it’s a no brainer for both to play. Let Cro heal. I’d rather see Cannon over McGuire. Kid is electric.

McGuire may have "fresh legs" in that he hasn't taken a beating this year but I'm sure he needs to work himself into gameday shape. I bet he couldn't do too much running with the foot injury. 

I really don't understand this thread.  Powell and Crowell were just fine until they BOTH got hurt.  As for Cannon and McGuire it's too early to tell but they both have potential.  As for the team not spending capital to fix it, well I just don't understand that.  The RB group was set up fine for this year but injuries happen.  Signing Crowell was a solid move.  I expect Mac to sign a solid free agent running back in the offseason.  David Johnson would be ideal.  He's only 26 and is a terrific RB.  I would much rather sign a guy like Johnson than pick a RB in round 3.  Johnson, Crowell, McGuire and Cannon will be a very good unit in '19.

The same could be said for the WR group.  It was a solid group coming into the season but stuff happens.  Guys get injured.  Mac will sign Devin Funchess to be our #1 in '19.  Also wouldn't be surprised if he took a WR in round 3.  Funchess, Q, Anderson and a rookie will be just fine in '19.  I think the TE position is set for a few years with Herndon, Leggett and Tomlinson.  

Folks need to lighten up.  We're 3-4, not 0-7!  There is a plan and Mac is carrying it out.  He has the resources he needs to be a playoff team in '19.  It will happen.

10 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I really don't understand this thread.  Powell and Crowell were just fine until they BOTH got hurt.  As for Cannon and McGuire it's too early to tell but they both have potential.  As for the team not spending capital to fix it, well I just don't understand that.  The RB group was set up fine for this year but injuries happen.  Signing Crowell was a solid move.  I expect Mac to sign a solid free agent running back in the offseason.  David Johnson would be ideal.  He's only 26 and is a terrific RB.  I would much rather sign a guy like Johnson than pick a RB in round 3.  Johnson, Crowell, McGuire and Cannon will be a very good unit in '19.

The same could be said for the WR group.  It was a solid group coming into the season but stuff happens.  Guys get injured.  Mac will sign Devin Funchess to be our #1 in '19.  Also wouldn't be surprised if he took a WR in round 3.  Funchess, Q, Anderson and a rookie will be just fine in '19.  I think the TE position is set for a few years with Herndon, Leggett and Tomlinson.  

Folks need to lighten up.  We're 3-4, not 0-7!  There is a plan and Mac is carrying it out.  He has the resources he needs to be a playoff team in '19.  It will happen.

David Johnson is not a free agent next year.  

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

McGuire may have "fresh legs" in that he hasn't taken a beating this year but I'm sure he needs to work himself into gameday shape. I bet he couldn't do too much running with the foot injury. 

Party pooper

8 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Honestly, they're both mediocre at best. McGuire lacks acceleration and Cannon can't hold on to the ball. Our RB situation is pretty terrible. And I don't see the Jets organization spending any capital on fixing it.

What are you basing either of these claims on?

In college Cannon had 554 carries, 7.2 yards per carry and only 4 fumbles.  What he can't do is return punts at this point, and never has.  It was just stupid putting a guy out there to field punts, who has never done it.

IMO Cannon is going to be excellent , stretching the defense from side to side and making them fat guys run a lot.  He is also an excellent receiver who will create great mis-matches with LB'ers..

I'm excited to see him get some touches.   

37 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Perhaps I expressed it poorly, but what I was trying to say is that he lacks the ability to hit the gap fast, which requires a quick burst. He doesn't hit the hole fast.

OK appreciate the clarification. I’d argue there has to be a hole to hit which last year was seldom the case. I don’t think we’ve seen nearly enough of him to dismiss completely at this stage.

8 hours ago, BCJet said:

This is such a misguided post.  Aside from Long's hand injury/snapping the Line has performed better then expectations and Shell is having an all around excellent year.

Teams struggle vs jacksonville and cleveland, it happens.  Sunday will be a good test, and hopefully Mack's ankle keeps him at less than 100% but our line certainly doesnt suck.

You're being kind to him when you say it was "such a misguided post". He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. In fact, "misguided" is actually one of his better efforts.

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Perhaps I expressed it poorly, but what I was trying to say is that he lacks the ability to hit the gap fast, which requires a quick burst. He doesn't hit the hole fast.

Have to disagree,  Guy has excellent, stop and go, and side to side acceleration .  Very good hands, runs low with a lot of power in short yardage, and goal line situations.

IMO he is very under-rated.

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Based on what?  

Don't bother waiting for his reply. Have you read some of this guys posts? 99% of what he says is "fire Bowles" or "the O line sucks". It really doesn't even matter what the topic is. Then he looks through threads to give negative feedback to anyone who might say different. He never engages to discuss it, just leaves the - react. 

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Don't bother waiting for his reply. Have you read some of this guys posts? 99% of what he says is "fire Bowles" or "the O line sucks". It really doesn't even matter what the topic is. Then he looks through threads to give negative feedback to anyone who might say different. He never engages to discuss it, just leaves the - react. 

Actually 99% of what he does it buttfumble posts that are totally true and in a million years dont deserve to get one.  Hes consistent though

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually 99% of what he does it buttfumble posts that are totally true and in a million years dont deserve to get one.  Hes consistent though

100% agree. LOL. That was my point. You simply said it way better then me.

16 hours ago, Jetmech said:

You don't think he would have been placed on the PS already if they didn't have faith in him? Think about it he hasn't returned any kicks on specials. The Jets must believe they have something here with Cannon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That’s true. I just don’t see much of a role for Cannon ie I guess I just don’t think he has much value.  He was drafted for punt and kickoff returning and he did poorly at returning puntsand kickoff returns are almost obsolete now.

Then as a RB he wasn’t a great receiver, with the exception of one or two good wheel routes, and he a shrimp and won’t do much between the tackles. So he has a very limited niche/gadget role if everything goes well.

That’s true. I just don’t see much of a role for Cannon ie I guess I just don’t think he has much value.  He was drafted for punt and kickoff returning and he did poorly at returning puntsand kickoff returns are almost obsolete now.
Then as a RB he wasn’t a great receiver, with the exception of one or two good wheel routes, and he a shrimp and won’t do much between the tackles. So he has a very limited niche/gadget role if everything goes well.
He has been in the twilight zone. If he wasn't dropping punts he probably is their returner this season and have a larger role next season but that isn't the case.

I see him as a change of pace back, gadget and slot WR. The Jets must see talent for him to be on the roster and not PS...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 10/25/2018 at 6:53 AM, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Honestly, they're both mediocre at best. McGuire lacks acceleration and Cannon can't hold on to the ball. Our RB situation is pretty terrible. And I don't see the Jets organization spending any capital on fixing it.

And they shouldn't. Normally when you fix the o-line, the RB problems take care of themself. Teams like Washington and Seattle are proof of that.

Cannon isn't a good receiver???  He has been targeted 6 times and has caught 5 of them.  He's not meant to be a between the tackles runner.  He's allusive and fills a role.  As a reminder, as a rookie Bilal Powell played in only 2 games and had 13 rushes for 21 yards.  He has had a very solid career since then.   

Some of these posts... I don't know where you guys found this other version of Eli McGuire, but put him in green and white and run the other guy out of town... The only thing McGuire brings to the table that cannon doesn't (do better) is pass pro. 

McGuire is not the answer.

It's tough to say without seeing more from each player.

Based on size alone, my choice is McGuire.  He's 30 pounds heavier than Cannon.  It seems like he has the better size to be a more complete running back and a better pass protector.

My very early impressions from each player: McGuire is an all around RB who can theoretically handle a larger workload.  Cannon is more of a gadget scat back who should see 5-10 touches per game tops.

19 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I don't understand why it has to be one or the other!!!  They both can play a role.  And to suggest either will not pan out at this point is just silly.

It won't be. Both backs will be used in various situations.

Archived