RoadFan

Cannon or McGuire?

Rate this topic

16 hours ago, Jetmech said:

You don't think he would have been placed on the PS already if they didn't have faith in him? Think about it he hasn't returned any kicks on specials. The Jets must believe they have something here with Cannon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That’s true. I just don’t see much of a role for Cannon ie I guess I just don’t think he has much value.  He was drafted for punt and kickoff returning and he did poorly at returning puntsand kickoff returns are almost obsolete now.

Then as a RB he wasn’t a great receiver, with the exception of one or two good wheel routes, and he a shrimp and won’t do much between the tackles. So he has a very limited niche/gadget role if everything goes well.

That’s true. I just don’t see much of a role for Cannon ie I guess I just don’t think he has much value.  He was drafted for punt and kickoff returning and he did poorly at returning puntsand kickoff returns are almost obsolete now.
Then as a RB he wasn’t a great receiver, with the exception of one or two good wheel routes, and he a shrimp and won’t do much between the tackles. So he has a very limited niche/gadget role if everything goes well.
He has been in the twilight zone. If he wasn't dropping punts he probably is their returner this season and have a larger role next season but that isn't the case.

I see him as a change of pace back, gadget and slot WR. The Jets must see talent for him to be on the roster and not PS...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, JiF said:

Dude, dont disrespect *Kevan like that.  He was crucial in that muddy game we won that year in New England.  CRUCIAL!!!!!!!

No disrespect intended, remember rooting for him like crazy. 

On 10/25/2018 at 6:53 AM, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Honestly, they're both mediocre at best. McGuire lacks acceleration and Cannon can't hold on to the ball. Our RB situation is pretty terrible. And I don't see the Jets organization spending any capital on fixing it.

And they shouldn't. Normally when you fix the o-line, the RB problems take care of themself. Teams like Washington and Seattle are proof of that.

Cannon isn't a good receiver???  He has been targeted 6 times and has caught 5 of them.  He's not meant to be a between the tackles runner.  He's allusive and fills a role.  As a reminder, as a rookie Bilal Powell played in only 2 games and had 13 rushes for 21 yards.  He has had a very solid career since then.   

Some of these posts... I don't know where you guys found this other version of Eli McGuire, but put him in green and white and run the other guy out of town... The only thing McGuire brings to the table that cannon doesn't (do better) is pass pro. 

McGuire is not the answer.

It's tough to say without seeing more from each player.

Based on size alone, my choice is McGuire.  He's 30 pounds heavier than Cannon.  It seems like he has the better size to be a more complete running back and a better pass protector.

My very early impressions from each player: McGuire is an all around RB who can theoretically handle a larger workload.  Cannon is more of a gadget scat back who should see 5-10 touches per game tops.

19 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I don't understand why it has to be one or the other!!!  They both can play a role.  And to suggest either will not pan out at this point is just silly.

It won't be. Both backs will be used in various situations.