Today convinced me both Bowles and Maccagnan are the problem

jetscrazey

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

I already knew I wanted Bowles gone and today confirms it, as there was absolutely zero creativity on a day when they needed to show creativity.

But today convinced me Maccagnan needs to go too.  He's in his 4th year and this is the worst roster in football.  A few injuries and they are a college team basically.  The drafting has been abyssmal.  He hasn't found good skill position players, hasn't found any pass rushers, and hasn't found any good o-linemen.

Start over with a new GM and a new, offensive-minded head coach.   We need to be competitive in this window when Darnold is on his rookie contract.

:

"new, offensive-minded head coach". Innovative, risk taker....I was very impressed by his play calling today. 

Mark Helfrich

Mark Helfrich 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, GaryM said:

I agree,both Bowles and McCagnon have to go. This team and especially the fans need to move on from these 4 years and hopefully find a GM who can judge and draft talent, and a HC who has some semblance of in game issues. We waited 50 years for this team to find a legitimate QB and we can't be shackled by these two underachievers. They have shown in 4 years that they are in over their heads. Lets move on and make this a great team again!!!

You had me all the way until the “again.”

30 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What you don't do, is spread them out 3 wide against man coverage all day and say go beat that guy in front of you.

Things like stacked receivers, bunch formations, motion can be used to help create natural separation for receivers.  Obviously different rout combinations as well.  The Patriots have been doing it for years.  The Patriots don't just magically get guys running wide open year after year.  Every notice how guys like Hogan weren't ever  open all the  in their previous stops?  Or how guys like Amendola aren't after they leave?

The Bears WRs today is Taylor Gabriel, Kevin White and a Rookie Anthony Miller.  They had people running open all over the place.  Luckily Trubisky can't hit the broad side of a barn.  Are those guys elite talents?  Or does Nagy know how to coach offense?

I was waiting for someone to imply we could coach a team like Belichick coaches the Patriots. 

Notice how the Chiefs kept Andy Reid and put in a couple new pieces. Magic. 

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

I already knew I wanted Bowles gone and today confirms it, as there was absolutely zero creativity on a day when they needed to show creativity.

But today convinced me Maccagnan needs to go too.  He's in his 4th year and this is the worst roster in football.  A few injuries and they are a college team basically.  The drafting has been abyssmal.  He hasn't found good skill position players, hasn't found any pass rushers, and hasn't found any good o-linemen.

Start over with a new GM and a new, offensive-minded head coach.   We need to be competitive in this window when Darnold is on his rookie contract.

The Buffalo Bills would like a word with you 

36 minutes ago, varjet said:

In response to a post that said only Mac’s first draft stunk, after Adams and Maye the 2017 draft was another catastrophe.  Lots of good players passed over.  

He’s hit on 33 percent of his picks. That’s not counting this year. He’s an average GM. He’s made good moves and bad moves.

15 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

I was waiting for someone to imply we could coach a team like Belichick coaches the Patriots. 

Notice how the Chiefs kept Andy Reid and put in a couple new pieces. Magic. 

Belichick doesn't coach their offense, so I am not sure what you are getting at.

I understand even less the comment about Reid?  Are you implying prior to this year, he wasn't already a phenomenal offensive coach?

37 minutes ago, varjet said:

In response to a post that said only Mac’s first draft stunk, after Adams and Maye the 2017 draft was another catastrophe.  Lots of good players passed over.  

Still don’t know why Stewart and Hansen weren’t kept. They were at least at the level of these players 

Mac has drafted very poorly his first 3 drafts but his last draft seems to be very good. I’d give Mac 1 more year and let him bring in a head coach of his choice. Bowles see ya!

Hope you realize that in most jobs if you perform your duties 25% of the time you are signing for unemployment checks.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Bowles actually seems to be improving as a HC.   He fielded the weakest team in the NFL today and they were borderline competitive.   

macc is a total disaster.   Most of his draft picks are out of the NFL and doubling up on safeties with 2 QB’s on the board and multiple trade down opportunities should have been a fireable offense.   Stewart, Hansen, hack, burris, Smith, maudlin - wasted pick after wasted pick.   That’s why the team has no depth and is playing with scrubs.  

I think Maccagnan has actually done a worse job than Bowles. Both are bottom third in the NFL and need to be replaced.

Exactly I’ve been saying this for 2 years.
Mac is a poor excuse for a GM. Even worse than Idzik. The guy walks around with that smug look on his face thinking he knows something the rest of us don’t.
Well I know something you don’t, you literally have zero clue on how to build a football team. Just look at your teams record and your abysmal drafting record. I know the draft is hit or miss but after 4 years you should find a few serviceable players to be backups at least.

20 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Belichick doesn't coach their offense, so I am not sure what you are getting at.

I understand even less the comment about Reid?  Are you implying prior to this year, he wasn't already a phenomenal offensive coach?

It’s that your implication that we have anywhere near the quality of roster of the Patriots is ludicrous. And that good coaching only goes so far. 

2 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

It’s that your implication that we have anywhere near the quality of roster of the Patriots is ludicrous. And that good coaching only goes so far. 

That is ludicrous.  Especially given the fact I didn't say that or imply it.

31 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Still don’t know why Stewart and Hansen weren’t kept. They were at least at the level of these players 

You do realize both players are currently out of the league, neither even worthy of a practice squad.

Todd Bowles sucking and Mike Maccagnan sucking are not mutually exclusive unless your an apologist of either one of them. We have enough evidence to judge both of them independently. They both are bad at what they do.

bowles not having good players does not justify his terrible coordinator hiring, his teams lack of discipline, or his predictable game plans.

maccagnan is a goof.

they both suck 

The bottom line is this. Do you believe this team has talent on it? If you do, you are probably leaning towards hating Bowles. If you don't you lean towards hating Macc.
I ask you guys, do you believe this team has talent on it (when healthy)

It doesnt have to be black and white. The team folds at the worst times. This means they have talent to at least a degree - but the coaching isnt there. The coach also makes questionable strategic decisions. There are also continuously the same types of breakdowns. Ie: not being able to stop the read option QB keeper. WR crossing routes, screen plays, etc. Do they have enough talent to warrant keeping Mac? That can be a different question. They should certainly have more talent by now. Idk if that talent would make a difference in the win column though since no matter what, it looks like the same Jets style ever week under Bowles, no matter what.

Seems to be an overwhelming consensus here that this management is underachieving in its quest to develop a winner.  While we have come close a few times over the years, this GM and coach are going on 4 years now and have really proven to be utter failures. What terrifies me most is Macc's signing of Darnold will be construed as a brilliant move by management and they give him carte blanche for years to come.    

1 hour ago, afjetsfan said:

I hope Todd and Mike are gone for next season.  The only caveat is who will replace them?   The depressing thing is if we actually get a worse Head Coach and GM.  That would guarantee our demise at least until 2023.

Agreed - knowing the Jets they'll hire the D-coordinator D'jour.  In that case I just as soon stick with Bowles. 

4 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

This year is all about the development of Sam Darnold. Our recent draft is looking good. Darnald, Herndon, Cannon, Sheppard and Nickerson all look like productive players moving forward. Darnald looks like a star in the making. McCagnan has had some rough past drafts no doubt but our most recent looks like it has potential to be above average. Moving forward, hopefully 

Archived